Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i think i got a clean time up in that stupid monster truck, but i definitely got a bit sweaty about going slow and making sure i didn't touch a wall. i think i was ten full seconds behind the suggested goon rival, but i was okay with that. earning points, getting cars.

the one that really beat the poo poo out of me tho was the ioniq 6. any aggression at all in that thing and hello the wall. one of my attempts got flagged at like 94%

the funny part is that my irl car is the earlier model ioniq (2020, hybrid) and i just sat there thinking "this follows, yeah"

hexwren fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
Forza Motorsport newsflash: To everyone's great surprise, Turn 10 announed today that the car part progression system will be a thing of the past. Nobody saw that coming.

https://forza.net/news/forza-motorsport-car-progression-updates

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Sebastian Flyte posted:

Forza Motorsport newsflash: To everyone's great surprise, Turn 10 announed today that the car part progression system will be a thing of the past. Nobody saw that coming.

that's something, at least

still a loooooong way to go but at least they're listening? i dunno man, this game is such a bummer

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sebastian Flyte posted:

Excellent, this is a very positive update.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
Hell, I'll take any and all improvements. I'm possibly more tolerant than many of the game's deficiencies, since my 'thing' is hopping in whatever car, and getting my 'free race' on. (Though to be absolutely clear, the 'campaign' was, and continues to be, pathetic in terms of scope and variety.)

But I'm glad for this change. I mentioned it elsewhere that if you're going to gate upgrades, have it be in terms of money that you earn from race events of any kind. Anything else is just stupid. And the balance change they made previously (unlock everything by L25) kind of made the system even dumber, because you could unlock stuff that you couldn't *use* because you didn't have enough CXP earned by that level, even if you had no other upgrades applied. Just the dumbest poo poo.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
I like the leveling/unlock system during the career championships.

It shouldn't have been a thing outside of those.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Gasoline posted:

I like the leveling/unlock system during the career championships.

It shouldn't have been a thing outside of those.

That is an interesting point. I have nearly 10-million credits sitting there, so once I can leverage that for upgrades, well...[1] I hadn't considered the aspect of gating within a particular career championship. You could have the notion of a 'championship budget' that you'd pay into based on events within that champship, but be seperate from your general creds, so you could still gate in that sense. Then the balance on that pays into your 'general' balance on completion?

But that doesn't really pass the sniff test I guess. If nothing else, the campaign series are so *brief*. It isn't like you are doing a racing season with dozens of races, with the need not only to develop your vehicle progressively, but also, I dunno, consider the cost of repairs, fuel, tyres, etc.

[1] Though I'd choose not to 'break' progression within a given series. I don't mind the notion of progressively improving a vehicle - but I *do* mind the manner in which T10 expressed it :v:

magimix fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 7, 2024

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Even within the championship mode it was completely broken.

No matter what car you started with, the order upgrades were unlocked was the same, meaning starting with a light car and adding power was the only reasonable way to progress because starting with a heavy, powerful car meant not unlocking weight reduction and suspension until the last race or two.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Full surrender on a foundationally ill-conceived mechanic. A whole bunch of junior level Turn10 guys are sipping the gently caress out of their tea.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Once again its wild how much they hosed this up. I used to be into Forza back in the day and then I kind of fell off it but I do love the Horizon series and was looking forward to this one. I'll probably wait a few more months and see if they fix this up even more before I try it out.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

soggybagel posted:

Once again its wild how much they hosed this up. I used to be into Forza back in the day and then I kind of fell off it but I do love the Horizon series and was looking forward to this one. I'll probably wait a few more months and see if they fix this up even more before I try it out.

I had an Xbox One and now have a Series X. I'm shopping for a direct drive wheel to replace my G920 and now Xbox compatibility wasn't even on my decision matrix.

They had it all, man.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This was before they shamelessly killed Forza Rewards to "balance the in-game economies" or whatever. (I played FM1 and 2 thoroughly on a different xbl account)

and yet i bounced off this one hard at launch.

I've only just re-installed it for the 24 hours of daytona, and in anticipation of the Nurburgring.

I'm primarily a single player racer because people are assholes and i don't enjoy getting rammed off the track by idiots. Making the AI do it just kills the game for me. Never mind how bland, frustrating, and short the career mode is.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Powershift posted:

Even within the championship mode it was completely broken.

No matter what car you started with, the order upgrades were unlocked was the same, meaning starting with a light car and adding power was the only reasonable way to progress because starting with a heavy, powerful car meant not unlocking weight reduction and suspension until the last race or two.

I've been playing through these and if the car sucks I just race in free play to upgrade to the given PI point which also means if I run enough test laps I can easily outclass any car in the series. So it's just a more grindy way of accomplishing the same thing as buying all the upgrades up front.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

A lot of those career series also suck in that you'll be at max PI for a race if all you do is upgrade tires or something. Like what's the point, what am I really building here

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mulaney Power Move posted:

A lot of those career series also suck in that you'll be at max PI for a race if all you do is upgrade tires or something. Like what's the point, what am I really building here

you don't like choosing between having a car that can actually race and having a car with a big engine that has to slow to a crawl for every single turn?

it's okay if you don't though, the developers make the second choice for you in a bunch of time trials

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

no i want to do a widebody kit and just ram my way through the first twenty seconds of the race and win anyway

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

of course ramming your way through the first twenty seconds of a race is also a choice the developers made for you

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Is it just me or does it really take like 5 minutes to load into the Nordschliffe? I thought Forza had locked up, but it eventually loaded.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
What is your platform? I'm on Series X, and it didn't really take appreciably longer to load than any other track.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think the long load times that can happen are the result of server hiccups or outages. Forza Motorsport requires an internet connection at all times, and occasionally the servers on their end can be unreliable.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'm on PC, could be something to do with my setup, but the track itself otherwise ran perfectly. It was a locked 144fps the whole time during the race.

I've just finished 4 laps and it's phenomenal. Best track by a long shot. Looks great too. They actually did a good job this time.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I think the long load times that can happen are the result of server hiccups or outages. Forza Motorsport requires an internet connection at all times, and occasionally the servers on their end can be unreliable.

If the servers are broken it warns you before each race that your progress won't be saved.

It loaded right into the ring for me. On PC the first time you load it, it might be optimizing shaders or reticulating splines.

the track is good, now all i need is a 63hp hatchback and a bunch of angry motorcyclists stuck behind me.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Seems broken.

Before the patch I had my settings set up to get a constant 60 fps.

First race after the patch had drops to 45. Ran the benchmark, solid 60. Race after that - sub-10fps. Restarted the game, had a race at 60fps. Next race, drops to 30 fps.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've been getting that problem on PC since release, but its uncommon for me.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Strange, this patch fixed problems I had been having. My performance was spotty to tolerable before, now it's always maxed out.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

the menu screen car renders still look incredibly low res on series x.

I'm getting weird random black frames on the nurburgring. I haven't tried it on other tracks yet.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this patch has totally fixed all performance problems for me. Prior to the patch, most tracks had the fps fluctuating between 100-130 fps, with certain corners causing FPS drops down to the 40s. Now every track is locked at 144fps, no fluctuation at all.

The pre-race cinematic shots are still spotty, but the race itself is always maxed out.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Nordschliffe rules. Just raced it at the end of the C series in the 87' Pontiac T/A. I love that car. Although, a track like that was kind of out of nowhere for a C class race. Oh word, an 8 minute lap?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
There was another mini-patch today, and at least for me and my all-AMD system, whatever they are doing is working. Performance is even better. It was already perfect in-race and now most of the out-of-race cinematic shots or whatever are close to maxed out at 144 fps. They still aren't perfect, with some stutters and drops to 80 fps, but it's leagues better than what it was at launch.

The current round of featured races is also fun. I liked the BMW and Audi themed stuff. Looking forward to the AMG and Porsche events. The Nordschlieffe is pretty much perfect. Just a joy to race on.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Yeah the game runs much better now than it did even a month or so ago so if that is the main reason some people are staying away from it I'd give it another shot. Though I don't think I'll mess with it much until the new upgrade system goes in.

Still think it's ridiculous you can't bring AI into private races though, what a baffling thing to not have in the game.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
The (continuing) lack of any kind of substantial career mode probably doesn't help keep player numbers up.

I'm not exactly sure why Turn 10 doesn't just keep the old monthly series available to try and pad the career out a bit, but I assume it's something to do with trying to keep engagement up via FOMO.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
It's probably never, ever going to happen, but hopefully they will add more content/revamp the career mode at some point. The fact they are revamping the car progression has given me the tiniest sliver of hope, but it's almost certainly never happening. They will just cruise control with the planned drip-feed of dlc stuff until they run out and then sunset the game.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Dramicus posted:

It's probably never, ever going to happen, but hopefully they will add more content/revamp the career mode at some point. The fact they are revamping the car progression has given me the tiniest sliver of hope, but it's almost certainly never happening. They will just cruise control with the planned drip-feed of dlc stuff until they run out and then sunset the game.

Forza Motorsport 9, coming fall 2026

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I never finished the Horizon 5 Rally DLC and just started playing that again recently and I have to say I'm having a fun time. However, when it comes to the challenges I'm almost always opting to do a traditional race vs rally times because the audio direction call outs are horrible and fall behind pace a lot.

I do want to also say I am still getting the weird problem where randomly in the middle of playing my screen will flash black for a second and then it will drop max frame rate down to something else. So I'll be running at 144fps or whatever, the screen flashes black for a second, then my frame rate drops down to hard locked 59 fps or something. Its very odd and it only ever happens in FH5 and I've been searching on the internet for years about this and it seems like other people get it, its some sort of driver issue, and possibly an issue where you've installed Forza on a non-primary hard drive. Regardless its annoying and there is only anecdotal information about other people having this issue.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

weirdly, i found the rally mode way better than traditional racing, if just because i could focus on racing the course instead of seeing some d-class hatchback with a fifteen-second lead on me because ?????

i know that the rally rankings are almost certainly generated by the same code as what lets the ai cars leap ahead like they do

but i felt more at ease because i wasn't going to try and cut a corner and run straight into some subaru's rear end-end and lose five more seconds off the lead for just trying to get in and out of the curve in a reasonable manner

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I might just suck too though. I found some really tracks solid. Others I don’t know if my car wasn’t configured right or whatever but I’d never come in first place on time. It was maddening because some tracks I’d do fine others I couldn’t crack the top spot.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

soggybagel posted:

It was maddening because some tracks I’d do fine others I couldn’t crack the top spot.

Horizon is full of cheaters, if you make it into the top 2k in a Rivals you're very good.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Dramicus posted:

TheScott2K posted:

Forza Motorsport 9, coming fall 2026

Seeing them just straight-up remove that stuff has me wishing they'd take the hatchet to some of the tracks in the game as well and just outright remove them to improve the experience while focusing on bringing back actual fun tracks to race on. I can't speak with much knowledge since I still haven't played this game (the track list is what killed my interest after being really hyped following the initial Maple Valley reveal) but aside from the apparently dire GT-style career mode, the track list makes or breaks a game like this imo and this has the worst of any game in the series (probably the whole genre?) by far.

Idk what the solution is though. I mean ideally they'd go back to their old ways since T10 used to define and lead the genre but all those fictional tracks would take a lot of work to modernize, I'm sure a city track like Prague would take a minimum of twice the work that the Nordschleife did and even locations like Camino Viejo would take significantly more work as well. From what I read about the development of the game from an ex-dev there, apparently they work by contracting artists for tracks and letting them go after a year before bringing someone new in who has to learn the tools from scratch which slows the whole thing down and probably explains the differences in fidelity between different tracks in the game as well. PD has started to get back on track with GT7 though and slowly returning to what made those games good back in the day, and even added a completely redesigned version of Grand Valley Speedway which is now set in an oceanside environment. If Turn 10 is going to copy GT now rather than innovate like they used to then they should be looking at stuff like that and thinking, "Maybe Yas is a bad idea, let's bring back a track people actually enjoy and introduce some visual variety and interesting locations again."

GT got away with the row of shoddy releases by bookending with GT Sport and coming back with GT7 which isn't great but shows they're at least heading in the right direction again. If this was called Forza Motorsport Sport of something else to just differentiate it then T10 could bounce back with FM8 but since they positioned this game as a new platform of sorts I've no idea what they do because it's going to take years to make this what it should be and it'll take years to craft the content FM8 needs even if they started work on it yesterday. FM7 was flawed but had a huge amount of great tracks and a lot of cars. The new game has neither so they've put themselves in a really awkward situation. I hope it's not the end of the franchise though because FM could be excellent again if they'd shift back to what made it great in the first place. Now the game's out at least Playground Games will now have access to the new engine for a new Forza Horizon at least, so that's one upside but I don't have a clue how Turn 10 bounce back from this outside of a huge redesign of the game (no way that's happening) accompanied by a huge content drop that could be pushed at the Xbox showcase in June for a re-launch of the game? It's not impossible, No Man's Sky & Cyberpunk both bounced back from abysmal launches but whoever is in charge of FM right now doesn't seem interested in any of the things that made the IP great in the first place.

I'll give them kudos where it's due though, the announce trailer for Nordschleife actually looked real to me at various points and they've nailed the visuals for overcast days (I think that's when GT looks most realistic as well) but they need someone in charge who's going to assess the current state of everything and start from a place of, "Where's all these features everyone loved in the older games? Where the hell are the good tracks?" and move forward from there.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
They should just remake GT4's career mode with modern graphics & driving physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SUNKOS posted:

I'll give them kudos where it's due though, the announce trailer for Nordschleife actually looked real to me at various points and they've nailed the visuals for overcast days (I think that's when GT looks most realistic as well) but they need someone in charge who's going to assess the current state of everything and start from a place of, "Where's all these features everyone loved in the older games? Where the hell are the good tracks?" and move forward from there.

I mentioned this earlier, but for tracks, right now they should straight-port now, graphically update later, all the tracks from earlier games.

I don't give a poo poo how the trees look on the edge of Fujimi Kaido, i just want to drive it without having to hook up an Xbox 360.