Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Powershift posted:

I mentioned this earlier, but for tracks, right now they should straight-port now, graphically update later, all the tracks from earlier games.

I don't give a poo poo how the trees look on the edge of Fujimi Kaido, i just want to drive it without having to hook up an Xbox 360.

that'll be 30 dollars thx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Goa Tse-tung posted:

that'll be 30 dollars thx

Don't tell Turn 10, but i would pay $30 for a pack of direct ports of Camino, Fujimi, Infeneon, and Positano.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
What are everybody's favorite D and C class clunkers in Forza 5? I just stumbled on the Datsun and it's so much fun to sling around. With rally tires and engine upgrades it turns into a pretty solid 500

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

The 1974 Honda Civic hands down. Going 250 km/h in a little cheap old shitbucket is just my thing.

I love it so much I recently got it as a 1:24 diecast model.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

For completionist sickos in Horizon, note that there’s a new-to-the-game car buried in the seasonal championships each week of this season. Feels like it’s been a long time since the new cars weren’t just the weekly 20/40 point reward.

E: there’s also a new car as the 20 point reward like usual, so 2 new ones per week

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

beer gas canister posted:

What are everybody's favorite D and C class clunkers in Forza 5? I just stumbled on the Datsun and it's so much fun to sling around. With rally tires and engine upgrades it turns into a pretty solid 500

I don't ever really get a chance to find out, because I don't have much time in the game beyond weekly challenges these days and 90% of the time, it's all stuff that I barely believe exists in the real world, let alone stuff I'd be able to drive

but I will drive an el camino in literally every event they allow me to

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I wish the Opens had D and C class options, but the Tours do at least. I've got at least a Subaru 22B and Celica GT-Four set up for C rally that I love.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

pounding my head against the wall on this S1 Ferrari championship for the last night or two

I've tried a couple different cars and have just not been able to even sniff first, let alone take it

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

hexwren posted:

pounding my head against the wall on this S1 Ferrari championship for the last night or two

I've tried a couple different cars and have just not been able to even sniff first, let alone take it

If it's the one I'm thinking of, I did it in an Enzo.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

hexwren posted:

just a coincidence, I raced your ghost in the monthly rivals and you clearly were slower at the start even though we had the same car, do you play with low FPS? FH5 still gives a speed advantage the higher FPS you have

I did that seasonal with a normal grippy 488 GTB: 107 582 258

also my favorite C class is a Toyota MR2 with bigger displacement and racing super charger, not because it's fast, but because the charger sings so loud it's funny

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Goa Tse-tung posted:

just a coincidence, I raced your ghost in the monthly rivals and you clearly were slower at the start even though we had the same car, do you play with low FPS? FH5 still gives a speed advantage the higher FPS you have

I did that seasonal with a normal grippy 488 GTB: 107 582 258

also my favorite C class is a Toyota MR2 with bigger displacement and racing super charger, not because it's fast, but because the charger sings so loud it's funny

My monitors top out at 60, so I play at 60

also I'm more likely to take rivals attempts slowly because all I care about is getting the clean lap

I know there was one last month (I don't think I did this on the four this month) where I basically crawled into the first corner because my rear end-end kept banging into the wall at speed and ruining the lap

hexwren fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 3, 2024

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Powershift posted:

I mentioned this earlier, but for tracks, right now they should straight-port now, graphically update later, all the tracks from earlier games.

I don't give a poo poo how the trees look on the edge of Fujimi Kaido, i just want to drive it without having to hook up an Xbox 360.

Powershift posted:

Don't tell Turn 10, but i would pay $30 for a pack of direct ports of Camino, Fujimi, Infeneon, and Positano.

The vista that's showcased during the starting downhill section of Camino still looks great imo, it's a fun track and they picked a great location for it as well. They were really on a roll for a while there with all the variety and designs for fictional tracks.

On the subject of Positano though, pretty sure I've said this before but since old Horizon games get delisted I really wish they were preserved in Forza Motorsport games in some form. Take Forza Horizon 2 for example, that opening race for the game that begins in the town and goes along the coast is both stunning and really fun to race along as well. I wish Turn 10 had lifted that section from the game (since it's the same engine, or at least was...) and maybe have it run from the town all along the coast to the harbor at Nice, which would make for an excellent point-to-point track that could be raced both ways and also cut into smaller sections like they did with Fujimi Kaido & Positano. They wouldn't need to update much either, just add some better foliage and some crowds/stands and then block off roads that stray from the route. Doing the same with other Horizon games would be great as well, like maybe lifting a route from the jungle section of Australia in Horizon 3 and perhaps creating a city track based on Edinburgh from Horizon 4? Those games will all be delisted eventually (along with Horizon 5) so lifting a track from each game would be ideal.

Remember when FM4 (I think it was 4?) had the "Where dreams are driven" text on the box? FM is really missing that now. Racing exotic cars along the Amalfi coast nails that fantasy, doing laps of loving Virginia yet again is a wholly depressing and miserable experience. FM used to embrace racing all around the world on famous race tracks and at exotic locales, I miss that. Whoever chose tracks like Virginia, Homestead, Kyalami & Eaglerock over Bernie's is a sicko.

This would be such a good track for FM, but have it continue along the coast to Nice at 6:40 rather than going right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p-8C9an0KE&t=260s

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I love that this silly thing is in Horizon 5 now :allears:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

T1g4h posted:

I love that this silly thing is in Horizon 5 now :allears:

I painted mine metallic pastel pink with a white roof and made it 1300hp and hang around the drag strip racing lesser cars.

owns bones

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Powershift posted:

I painted mine metallic pastel pink with a white roof and made it 1300hp and hang around the drag strip racing lesser cars.

owns bones

it's actually insane they let us do this, I made just one try and it's already my second highest scoring drifter down the mountain, and at S1 instead of my usual S2

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
For fucks sake, give us open lobbies in Motorsport ya dogs. Horizon drives like rear end but is the superior “game” right now, I just want 20 person tandem lobbies again

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SquirrelGrip posted:

For fucks sake, give us open lobbies in Motorsport ya dogs. Horizon drives like rear end but is the superior “game” right now, I just want 20 person tandem lobbies again

motorsport sucks rear end and open lobbies will not do jack poo poo to fix it. i doubt turn 10 is even capable of unfucking it. it's a dead game and has probably outright killed the motorsport side of forza.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Forza Motorsport franchise has so many unique features that made racing sims much more accessible and available to more people. Sucks to see the series murdered like this.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Such a massive bummer to see them fumble this hard, right at the perfect moment for a good one of these to make an impact.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
They shot themselves in the face with the release, but to be fair they have fixed loads of stuff since launch and doubled performance (on my computer at least). The upgrade system is inoffensive now too.

Career mode still sucks and mostly doesn't exist. GT4's campaign must be lostech that the Adeptus Mechanicus worships as an angry machinespirit or something and thus cannot be replicated.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Why doesn't this stupid game let you pick a car class (or maybe 2) and just play an endless career mode? Boxing and UFC games don't make you go up in weight class once you've created a fighter, because sometimes you want to enjoy different styles of the sport. It cannot be hard to figure out how to make this a game option. I never want to be immediately forced into faster and faster cars/classes I have no interest in buying cars for, I enjoy driving 130mph in 1970s and 1980s motorsport classics. And bring back Positano, Camino, Fujimi, Maple & the Sunset Oval, they're all ten times better driving experiences than any of the shitass F1 tracks that aren't Spa or Suzuka. I can play this game for about 20 minutes in any one session because it's such a pain in the balls to try and have any fun with it.

And Gran Turismo 7 is equally idiotic but adds in the joy of pressing a button 5 times to do any 1 thing.

A lot of design decisions on this era of racing game are particularly baffling.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Ether Frenzy posted:

Why doesn't this stupid game let you pick a car class (or maybe 2) and just play an endless career mode?

It sort of does this, if you do free race you pick a car and it will endlessly feed you races for it. You gain money and exp like normal.
But I wouldn't exactly call that a career, there needs to be a bit more progression to it than just grinding money.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Is there an open class tour for career mode that resets every week? It's only like D class, C class, B class, then A class, though. I did the whole thing with an 87 trans am.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Powershift posted:

Forza 4 was so good, and the only one I played until I bought Forza horizon 4 recently

Horizon 4 feels like it has ADHD, just constant notifications, pop ups, unskippable cutscenes (wtf?), wheel spins,. It's overwhelming.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Is there an open class tour for career mode that resets every week? It's only like D class, C class, B class, then A class, though. I did the whole thing with an 87 trans am.

The open class resets about once a month.

It's always the same classes, so all that changes is what AI cars it uses to fill out the rest of the field.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 16, 2024

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

azflyboy posted:

The open class resets about once a month.

It's always the same classes, so all that changes is what AI cars it uses to fill out the rest of the field.

Also pretty sure the tracks in each one are shuffled each time.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i stopped playing forza motorsport primarily because the penalty system was absolutely, catastrophically poo poo and made multiplayer races horrible. i decided to check around elsewhere to see how things are now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/forzamotorsport/comments/1bn85ka/most_deserved_forza_penalty/

glad to see it still sucks rear end. even better, they've apparently made some changes to it that make it disgustingly easy to give someone a large penalty by brake checking them. because what the game really needed was another way to reward being a complete shithead.

if they removed the penalty system altogether i might give it another try. except probably not because everyone who wants to play it properly and race have already sworn it off and are not coming back. even by the time i stopped they'd mostly all left, i imagine 85% of the people left playing now are kids who just play it because it's on gamepass. the driving standards online in this game are so unbelievably worse than every other forza game, and yeah, just consider THAT statement for a minute.

they also haven't addressed or seemingly acknowledged 90% of the problems with the game. they fixed the braindead idea of unlocking parts through leveling up so that's nice, but it doesn't actually fix the game or come anywhere close to it.

i still cannot fathom how a game this devoid of content took over three times longer to make than any other entry in the series. just, gently caress man.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Was thinking about it, I've got a bunch of Fanatec and Logitech wheels laying around the place but what I really want to do is get the MS Wireless Wheel out of the closet and play Forza 2-4 on my Xbox 360. So easy to just throw that thing on your lap and jump into a session and drive instead of having to arrange the wheelstand and pedals and gearshift and connect via wires across the floor etc etc and then not have the tracks I want to drive anyway, even if the graphics are 15% better.

Wild that people are still doing reviews of that wheel, it's too bad Microsoft discontinued it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igiKFMOYKTw

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I had that wheel and was really disappointed. Notchy as hell, had a super limited rotation, and was notorious for losing its center. The lap thing was neat, I guess, but I'd much rather get out the lawn chair and strap it to Big Chungus:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

E: wrong thread

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Still playing Motorsport, but only when new events show up each Wednesday night in the career mode. The online is still not worth playing because of the way the penalty system works.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

TheScott2K posted:

I had that wheel and was really disappointed. Notchy as hell, had a super limited rotation, and was notorious for losing its center. The lap thing was neat, I guess, but I'd much rather get out the lawn chair and strap it to Big Chungus:

Some of them were broken from the factory. It was not a very well built device, but what do you expect for $130 - and the range of experiences I had with the 7 or 8 of them I had over a couple years made me realize that it was pretty hit or miss whether you loved this product or hated it. I got the Best Buy return policy, so when mine would start to break down I'd just go exchange it for a new one, but recall having to take back some that were poo poo straight out of the box at least 2-3 times.

The Fanatec rigs I've got are definitely miles better. But it's also an extra 3-5 minutes of lugging the 60 pounds of stand & wheelbase & gearshift & clubsport pedals out, setting it up, sitting down, readjusting it to the couch perfectly, getting back up to figure out why the gearshift isn't working, and THEN you can start to try to play - that extra delay results in me using it less than I did with the easy-to-go MS WW.

Someday I'll have a whole permanent set of sim rigs but not while I'm living in the city.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
today is iirc the first trial you can do in the offroad Caddy Limo, it's not even close how good she is

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I did it in the ‘70 Dodge Challenger, absolutely smoked every other player and AI except the one guy in (of course) a Bone Shaker. Extremely satisfying to slide that giant boat around muddy corners

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I don’t own the limo but I’m definitely interested in it now. Anything that makes the trial fun is worth it.

I’ve been working my way through accolades that reward cars, I thought the “post a clean rivals time in the top 5% in each class” would be really tough given the games out for a while, I’m not a great racer, and I sometimes use the wall as turn assist. However most of them have been possible just by putting down a clean lap in a good car, the two hardest being S2 (hard to keep clean) and D (trial and errored a few cars based on stats before getting fast enough).

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Porfiriato posted:

I did it in the ‘70 Dodge Challenger, absolutely smoked every other player and AI except the one guy in (of course) a Bone Shaker. Extremely satisfying to slide that giant boat around muddy corners

oh yeah I was battling that Bone Shaker until he missed a turn (twice?)

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I'm glad I read the thread before getting on for weeklies.

Got first in the first race, and first of the humans in the second.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

where do you even get the limo

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

The past, the auction house, the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Limo was fun for the trial but we didn’t win because teammates fighting each other, so I ended up doing it again in a Jeep Trailcat - I’m not the best racer but that thing is so loving quick it makes up for it. It was quick and slippery in the corners but long drifting turns on dirt are fine and the top end was where it really got going, I didn’t even have to worry about battles for position because I was around them before they even thought about slamming into me. Best bit is I got this Jeep as a barn gift, already tuned with an iffy Halo paintjob.

Unrelated car that I’ve just started driving: Aston Martin Vantage GT12 with the offroad/rally tyre gimmick to drop it to A class. It’s very quick, maybe not the quickest in A class but it also sticks around corners and is just a delight to drive - it’s the first AM I’ve raced by choice; the Valkyrie AMR Pro looks amazing but it’s too twitchy for me to enjoy. Bonus points for the engine sound, it’s very big and very tough. I can imagine the rumble in my chest when it revs.