Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lol, kangaroo molestors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Fo3 posted:

Obviously I've never tried commercially prepared black beans before. I bought a bag of them eventually (took ages to find them cheap down here as they are not that popular.*) I followed some internet recipes but I was underwhelmed but it could be the recipes I based mine on.

Fo3 posted:

No on the mexican raw sausage chorizo. We only have the semi cured spanish chorizo.
Chipotle like in a can with sauce? Yeah, that's gourmet poo poo that will run $4+ a small can, but it's attainable. Same for dried chilli peppers, mexican types is gourmet poo poo but can get them (That's why i used to grow chillies because years ago you couldn't even buy a fresh habanero ).
We are Euro and Asian influenced - not much USA and Mexican stuff here. If it's a recipe using canned or packaged then not worth cooking it. If from the ground up then fresh supplies or substitutes makes cooking Mex stuff easier.

So traditionally, Mexican style beans involve lard... and ham.. and chili powder. Sometimes bacon. Depends who's making them.

I try to make mine a bit healthier. I started out making them fully vegan (more for health than anything else), but using chicken broth adds a decent amount of flavor.

Thankfully, you can get chipotle peppers in adobo sauce pretty easily here - I bought a jar of them already diced for about $1.75 tonight. That will last me about a month, maybe a month and a half (I make a batch of beans every week).

Basically, if you're cooking them on the stove, soak half a kg of beans (black or pinto are my favorite) for several hours. Drain, rinse. If you're using a pressure cooker, just rinse.

Ingredients are chicken broth (water it down some) (or chicken bouillon + some water) (or vegetable broth full strength), chop up half to a whole yellow onion and saute it in your choice of oil, do the same with 1-2 cloves of garlic. Throw in the beans, add random amounts of chili powder, significantly less cumin, some black pepper, and the liquid. Cover the beans with at least 3 inches (~7.6cm) of liquid. If cooking on the stovetop, bring to a boil, then allow to simmer for 2-3 hours (start sampling after 2 hours to see how done they are, and add water if needed to keep them fully covered). Add salt as needed once nearing done. Once they're pretty much done, you can boil excess liquid off for a little bit (no more than 15 min IMO) or just scoop excess out (remember it'll thicken as they cool).

I throw in a can of diced tomatoes, sometimes I'll throw in a jalapeno or two. Throw in a habenero if you want some extra :supaburn:.

I think the recipe I originally used called for 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, 2-3 chopped chipotle peppers, and a couple of other things. I just kinda throw it all together without any measurements now.

If you're using a pressure cooker, depending on elevation and the cooker (electric or cooktop), it'll take 15-60 minutes.

The hardest part about beans is getting them cooked "just right" (not too mushy, yet fully cooked). They're pretty loving easy otherwise. Using a pressure cooker really makes you aware of that, it's way too easy to go from "these need to cook just a little longer" to "I made soup". Doing them on the stove/cooktop leaves a lot more room for error. When I got my Instant Pot, the first batch was pure mush, second batch was a lot better, 3rd was pretty much perfect (4, 5, and 6 have been good too).

The tl;dr is I started out basing my beans on this vegan recipe, and I've been changing it up as I go. That recipe is pretty good, just heavy on the cumin for my tastes (and leave the cinnamon out, that poo poo has no business in beans).

You can skip the chipotles if you want, substitute any other chili you have access to. Chipotles are smoked jalapenos in adobo sauce.

Also I have a couple of pounds of frozen chorizo (which was 89c/lb), but it's been in the freezer for so long that there's more than a small chance that it may be severely freezer burned. :v:

e: I have a few adobo sauce recipes (from a few cookbooks, all from the region I grew up in - border of Texas and Mexico), if you can find dried jalapenos. Just rehydrate them in the sauce.
e2: this is a pretty decent book if it's available locally. It's more New Mexico than Tex-Mex, but I grew up where Mexico, New Mexico, and Texas all meet - New Mexico food is heavily influenced by Mexican cooking.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Sep 29, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Australia loving sucks for Mexican, which is why I was interested in cooking it years ago (especially before I sold my mazdas so I was on a beans and rice meal plan).
There's tex-mex which is pricey and more of a meat, cheese/sour cream burritos for $20 at a chain restaurant. They kind of died out in the 90s but still 1 or 2 around if you want to pay that much for a burrito. It got into gourmet status a few years ago so there's apparently some new nice places you can buy a taco at for $16!
Last I checked each city of 2million people may have 3 tex or texmex restaurants.

I looked around on my PC for any black bean recipes (I didn't save or rewrite many because I switched to other beans instead like I said). These are veg because it was when I was on a beans and rice stage of my life, but add fried bacon or chorizo I guess.

Frijoles Negros (Black Beans)
Basic recipe can be used if making refried beans, directions in brackets)

INGREDIENTS
2 cups dried black beans
1-2 green capsicums
4-5 cups water or stock (enough to cover the beans, and top up as necessary)
2 medium onions
1 stick of celery
2-3 cloves garlic
1 bay leaf
1 tsp salt
pepper to taste
1 tsp dried oregano
1 ½ tsp ground cumin

Optional list:
2T tomato paste
1 carrot for aromatics
2 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp malt or apple cider vinegar, lime or lemon juice
coriander or parsley to serve

Directions:
Half the veg goes roughly chopped into the pot with the beans, along with bay leaf to simmer until tender. (If refried beans then remove and discard chopped veg used in cooking)
When the beans cooked, saute remaining veg, any meat (if not making refried beans), tomato/paste sugar, salt, pepper and spices. (If refried beans then puree veg/spice mix afterwards in a blender for a sauce)
Add cooked bean and sauted veg/spice mixture and cook further 30min.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 29, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Or another one I have

Beans cooked with chillies and beer

Ingredients
2 cups dried black beans
1 medium onion, peeled and halved
1 celery stalk, halved crosswise
1 carrot, peeled and halved crosswise
2 garlic cloves, peeled
2 bay leaves
2 dried mild chillies like ancho (sub with either a mix of sweet and smoked paprika, or some other similar chilli you have)
1 tablespoon whole dried cumin seed
1 teaspoon whole dried coriander seed
1 fresh chilli like a serrano, coarsely chopped (topaz chilli if you have it - similar heat. or 1/2 -1 tsp cayenne powder)
1 ripe medium tomato, coarsely chopped
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 bottle beer, such as a lager (not to bitter or hoppy - so not homebrew)
1 teaspoon salt, plus more as needed
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh coriander
Juice of 1 lime

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Leave the celery and all of those optionals out (wtf celery in beans?!), add some diced tomatoes, and you're getting pretty close to how I make them.

What kind of tacos are you talking about there? The "tacos" that much of the world knows - beef, cheese, lettuce, tomato, served in a hard corn shell? Or authentic Mexican street tacos?

If you want street tacos... it's pretty drat easy. Flank steak cut up into small pieces, cumin, chili powder, and cook it until it's done. Warm corn tortillas in oil (basically let them sit in hot oil for 2-3 seconds per side), serve meat on tortilla. Diced raw white onions and diced cilantro go on top, along with your choice of hot sauce (the hotter the better). Often served with a few slices of radish as a garnish, along with a wedge of lime.

Roasted jalapenos, roasted/sauteed onions can also go with them.

Next time I'm at my favorite taco place, I'll try and remember to take a picture of their list of meats - they have both Spanish and English versions on the list. Some of them I'm fine with never touching (you can keep tripe or lengua), some of them are pretty awesome.

edit: you posted that 2nd one while I was typing this. Those actually sound pretty good, except those sound more like chili style beans, and definitely not Mexican or Tex-Mex... I'd be down for that recipe with kidney (red) beans. I sometimes throw some paprika in any beans I make, if I remember.
e2: you on the bookface?
e3: I don't pretend to be a great, or even good, cook, but I know my mexican food.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 29, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Sorry for the multiple edits, I'm trying to make my old saved recipes clearer.
Yeah, I'm not talking about the old el paso kits that everyone here cooks at home with ground beef and lettuce when they think Mexican. Proper ones made with flank E: skirt steak on a grill
Celery in everything. When it's cheap I buy a bunch and need to chuck it in everything before it's ruined ;) Chili beans/mexican beans - It's all the same to me since I've never had proper Mexican.
It's a no on facebook.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Sep 29, 2017

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Getting old is trash. I'm having awful acid reflux for the second time in my life.

Please work Tums.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Jumping frog

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
LOLWUT there is awesome Mexican in Australia. Couple of places near Mascot I used to stuff my face into all the time. Sure its not common but I have zero doubt its right up there in gooooood

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, I'm not talking about the old el paso kits that everyone here cooks at home with ground beef and lettuce when they think Mexican. Proper ones made with flank E: skirt steak on a grill
Celery in everything. When it's cheap I buy a bunch and need to chuck it in everything before it's ruined ;) Chili beans/mexican beans - It's all the same to me since I've never had proper Mexican.
It's a no on facebook.

I grew up in El Paso. :v: Nobody in El Paso buys Old El Paso stuff... except for maybe their canned green chiles.

Nothing wrong with celery, I just don't think it's belongs in beans. It's certainly great in a ton of other things - soups and stews IMO.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

LOLWUT there is awesome Mexican in Australia. Couple of places near Mascot I used to stuff my face into all the time. Sure its not common but I have zero doubt its right up there in gooooood

I'll be able to judge this property if you fly me over. :colbert:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Wrar posted:

Getting old is trash. I'm having awful acid reflux for the second time in my life.

Please work Tums.

God, I don't miss that poo poo. Used to get it any time I rolled over in my sleep until they yanked out my gallbladder.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Valentine Nebraska

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Liquid Communism posted:

God, I don't miss that poo poo. Used to get it any time I rolled over in my sleep until they yanked out my gallbladder.

I get that. Especially after certain foods, eg bread, or jarred tomato sauce, or wine. It comes and goes and when it's bad I take nexium.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Wrar posted:

Please work Tums.
Greetings fellow sufferer :(:hf::(
Tums work, but if you have access to it buy some liquid Gaviscon. It works really well.

Also, since I've cut back on the booze my reflux has tamed down a lot. Not gone, but a lot. Weight can impact it too.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I've got 9 days off work to do a heap of poo poo around the house and 4 days before I start leave I get diagnosed with bursitis and can't use my right arm any more until it starts to heal

This loving sucks

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Wrar posted:

Please work Tums.

Acid Reflux was the bane of my existence for many years. I started having issues with it when I was pretty young, and went through a bunch of different medications, some of which were pretty expensive, in order to control it.

Now we have a drug that works pretty well, and has gone generic - Omeprazole. Anyone with acid reflux should check into Omeprazole. You can try it out by spending way too much money to buy it as a name brand OTC medication like Prilosec OTC. If it works, talk to your doctor about getting a prescription so you can spend whatever your co-pay is for a generic medication.

My personal solution is Mexico. A package of 120 Omeprazole in Mexico can be had for 100-170 pesos depending on the store and what specials they might be running, so depending on the exchange rate, $5-10 for a 4 month supply, which is pretty awesome even compared to my generic prescription costs here.

This is the reason that there are 85 billion pharmacias in the border towns, because the exact same medication there costs a fraction of what it costs on our side of the border... funny how things are miraculously cheaper in other countries even if it's a name-brand drug in the exact same packaging. It's magic.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah, that's similar to nexium and I get that depending on doctor or pharmacist here, either way 24 tablets for $6.20. Before I could get a prescription or visit a doctor, then zantac helps a lot if that's available on the shelf there.

Things like gaviscon, tums or quick eze are just to take at the spur of the moment if it's an occasional thing. If it persists, get zantac, nexium, omeprazole.
I went months so bad I needed it to even sleep or not throw up, and then months when I didn't. But it's just handy to have them or a prescription for them when it's needed. 4 weeks ago I could hardly sleep due to reflux so I needed them badly. Right now eating bad and drinking like a fish and don't need them. :shrug:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Phone posting so can't easily link, but there are a couple recent studies linking long term use of proton pump inhibitors with an increased risk of kidney damage and increased risk of death.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Nothing wrong with celery, I just don't think it's belongs in beans. It's certainly great in a ton of other things - soups and stews IMO.

Red beans and rice would like a word with you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm having a major crisis this morning.

I don't know how to use the new coffee maker.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

slidebite posted:

Phone posting so can't easily link, but there are a couple recent studies linking long term use of proton pump inhibitors with an increased risk of kidney damage and increased risk of death.

Also either dementia or alzheimers apparently last time someone told me I shouldn't use them.
Personally I think it's the fact that some need them means something is hosed up and going to be bad if you ignore/mask the main underlying problem (E: like weight and diet), rather than the PPI causing it?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 29, 2017

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Rhyno posted:

I'm having a major crisis this morning.

I don't know how to use the new coffee maker.

Put the coffee in the coffee hole*, the water in the water hole, and switch it on.

*or a K-cup in the holder, whichever

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Fo3 posted:

Also either dementia or alzheimers apparently last time someone told me I shouldn't use them.
Personally I think it's the fact that some need them means something is hosed up and going to be bad if you ignore/mask the main underlying problem, rather than the PPI causing it?
Use them if you need to, as with most drugs it's probably best not to use them chronically/permanently if you don't have to. I think the ppi studies I briefly read where people on them for many, many years.

If you can find what triggers it or lose some weight and avoid the reflux in the first place but maybe need the odd tums or swig of gaviscon in place of daily taking a ppi that's probably a safer, not to mention cheaper way to go.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Fo3 posted:

Personally I think it's the fact that some need them means something is hosed up and going to be bad if you ignore/mask the main underlying problem (E: like weight and diet), rather than the PPI causing it?

I was going to say the same thing re: dementia Alzheimers, but looking it up showed a bunch of articles disproving that?
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/06/170622121908.htm

http://www.pharmacytimes.com/resource-centers/gastrointestinal/study-no-evidence-of-ppi-use-linked-to-alzheimers-dementia

http://www.bmj.com/content/357/bmj.j3063

But who know, maybe the studies were sponsored by big pharma.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I just read that there are some studies that point out that Alzheimers could just be diabetes type 3? That poo poo is hosed up but would be nice in the sense that it could be avoided much like type 2.
I don't have anyone with either in my life so it makes sense, but I didn't even know there is a strong connection between diabetes and Alzheimers

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

this looks vaguely familiar....

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i got my new keycaps today

a e s t h e t i c a s f u c k

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

cursedshitbox posted:

this looks vaguely familiar....

A long, bun-piercing wiener?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

So, I'm kind of thinking about decluttering a bit, and I have a whole crapload of car and electronics magazines from the late 80s through 2000s. I don't want to just throw them out. I doubt that they'll ever be worth anything, even the ads, and I'd much rather use the space for books and display items.
I'm sure Half-Price Books will take them, but probably not pay anything, which may be the way to go. Library probably won't want them.
I used to keep them for reference - articles and such, before the internet made looking for that sort of thing ridiculously easy.
Any suggestions on what to do with the things?

After that I need to tackle all the accumulated crap in my office - retired electronics, computer parts, boxes of stuff from my desk at work when I got canned...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dagen H posted:

Put the coffee in the coffee hole*, the water in the water hole, and switch it on.

*or a K-cup in the holder, whichever

It doesn't have a normal filter thingee!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Use an abnormal filter, then.

Seriously, what is it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dagen H posted:

Use an abnormal filter, then

I don't have that kind either! I just wanted coffee!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Darchangel posted:

So, I'm kind of thinking about decluttering a bit, and I have a whole crapload of car and electronics magazines from the late 80s through 2000s. I don't want to just throw them out. I doubt that they'll ever be worth anything, even the ads, and I'd much rather use the space for books and display items.
I'm sure Half-Price Books will take them, but probably not pay anything, which may be the way to go. Library probably won't want them.
I used to keep them for reference - articles and such, before the internet made looking for that sort of thing ridiculously easy.
Any suggestions on what to do with the things?

After that I need to tackle all the accumulated crap in my office - retired electronics, computer parts, boxes of stuff from my desk at work when I got canned...

I know how you feel. I tossed my own magazines during my last house move. But this time I have to throw out my grandfathers collection :sigh: A whole bunch of 50s maths/physics/science books all the way up to 1980s electronic magazines he bought just before he died.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Wrap the coffee in a sock
then ask yourself 'what the gently caress am I doing" and go to Starbucks

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i got my new keycaps today

a e s t h e t i c a s f u c k

Hell yeah

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
so uhhh I replaced the drz..

Over 1300 miles in two days. It's rad as gently caress.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cursedshitbox posted:

so uhhh I replaced the drz..

Over 1300 miles in two days. It's rad as gently caress.

When do you relocate to Ukraine?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Next summer maybe?
Ukraine's red tape is like America's red tape, except with some good old fashioned motherrussia red involved.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cursedshitbox posted:

Next summer maybe?
Ukraine's red tape is like America's red tape, except with some good old fashioned motherrussia red involved.

Gotcha. I thought since you sold the bus and were dumping stuff you were leaving sooner. Looking forward to your adventure posts from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Is that a 990 adventure? Very nice bike.

• Locked thread