Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I like Kraft flavored mayos. Got a Chipotle one and a Horseradish one at Aldi for 99 cents per bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Kinda regret focusing on partying "fun" when I wasn't working tho, missed out on a lot of cool poo poo I could have done while I was there. Lots of opportunity squandered to explore the country.

I did my share of partying (and probably did enough drugs to kill mainland China), but never travelled much (I've been all over TX and NM, and been to AR a few times). Now that I'm pushing 40, I have the itch to travel. A LOT. Some of it in the US - I'd love to see New Orleans, Florida, New England, etc, and revisit the Ozarks. Haven't been to California in about a decade either. But I wanna see other countries too.

The upside to my work situation is I can take off whenever the gently caress I want. The downside is it's all 1099 work, so I don't get anything silly like vacation pay, health insurance, etc.

rdb posted:

I have a firestick, apple TV and a chromecast. For TV we have Directv now and amazon prime. If I had to pay for a device I would suggest a fire stick especially if you have amazon prime. Out of the ones we have it seems to be the most capable device.

Just avoid the first generation fire stick (as cheap as the 2nd gen is brand new, there's no reason to buy them used anyway). I have a 1st gen, and the UI is painfully loving slow. Like, up to 15 seconds to respond to the remote at times.

The second generation is a complete night and day difference, despite being the same UI. I guess they beefed up the CPU a bit.

I also have both a 3rd gen Roku 1 and a 1st gen Chromecast on my bedroom TV. The Roku is probably the least versatile, but at the time it was pretty decent. My only gripes about both of those is they only support 2.4 GHz wireless; the newer models support 5 GHz. There's a shitload of 2.4 GHz networks in my apartment complex, but not many 5 GHz; anything I have on 2.4 GHz (even just switching my phone over to 2.4) runs incredibly slow due to all the various routers having a slapfight over bandwidth.

slothrop posted:

I'm going to see Pennywise tonight!

Been listening to some poo poo I haven't listened to for YEARS. MxPx: For when you absolutely, positively must fit 32 songs on a single CD.

oh and I finally have a use for the earplus that I got from last years AISS!!

I saw Goo Goo Dolls in August.... :corsair: I've also seen NOFX.... I really hope they come through TX or OK again, I need to see them again now that they're old bastards (I saw them in 1995...). Saw Anti-Flag a few years ago, saw Static-X a couple of years before that. I need to see The Flaming Lips again too. And there's some DJs I need to see again... it's been a long time since I saw AK1200 or Dieselboy.

I'd love to see Pennywise. I haven't thought about MxPx in ages though. Dead Kennedys is gonna be here in December :swoon: - that's one show I really want to go to. Tickets are pretty reasonable too, and it's not sold out yet. Hopefully it still won't be sold out when I get paid Friday.

Thanks to you I have Pennywise blasting now. So much for sleep tonight! :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 29, 2017

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Just avoid the first generation fire stick (as cheap as the 2nd gen is brand new, there's no reason to buy them used anyway). I have a 1st gen, and the UI is painfully loving slow. Like, up to 15 seconds to respond to the remote at times.

The second generation is a complete night and day difference, despite being the same UI. I guess they beefed up the CPU a bit.

I have a 1st gen Fire Stick, too, and yeah... holy gently caress is it slow at times. I've been meaning to pick up a replacement at some point but it works just well enough that it's in the very low priority track.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, between that, and my Plex server now being on a 1st gen i5.... there's some stuff on my server that I just can't watch on the TV anymore (I can watch it fine on the PC itself, but it's not close enough to the TV to run an HDMI cable). The 1st gen Fire stick just can't handle some of the rips I have, and this PC doesn't have the power to transcode with Plex like my old build did.

I need to build a new PC baaaaaad. I should probably at least try overclocking this one a bit though. Maybe I'll try that tonight. I'm just really thankful I had a spare CPU + motherboard (across town, but still) after Thor dropped by and tickled my old motherboard.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Pretty sure it got stuffed into a ditch/wall at the hands of someone not experienced with that level of power. I don’t think it was totaled.

drat. Guy can’t seem to catch a break

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So I've been meaning to move my PC (and thus, desk) back to where I could hook it up to the TV easily. Basically back to where I originally had it. Finally did that tonight.

..... forgot that the motherboard I'm using right now doesn't have an HDMI output.... and you can't use both DVI connectors on my video card if you want to use the mini HDMI port on the card (I think that'd only give you 2 displays anyway). :doh:

Oh well, at least now I finally have a space for a small dining table, and my desk is back in a proper spot. And it gives me more of a reason to finally build a new system (instead of this mis-mash of 3 different builds). My cat is pissed about things being moved around though - as soon as I moved the chair to the desk's new location, he jumped in it and glared at me, then nipped me when I tried to move him. Little shithead..

e: I just realized I have a spare video card, and a spare PCIx slot.... hmm, wonder how well two non-SLI, multiple-generations-apart geforce cards will play together... we'll find out!

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Oct 29, 2017

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Re: Streaming device debate...

Roku is probably our favored in the house. Have a 1st gen chromecast and an older Apple TV.

This is actually our second roku, the first one after a few years was getting flaky and would lock up. Netflix and amazon are our primary usage. The Apple doesn't touch amazon, which is really disappointing but understandable. Similar story for the chrome cast.. If I'm using a device, amazon is problematic as last I recall, there was no app that would stream on your tablet phone. I may be out of date though.

Having a device that handles both (netflix and amazon) AND can handle plex (really don't use it..but do have it and have used it on occasion) is a strong win.

Unrelated: Did some family/holiday photos yesterday, and the photog found this "cool old truck." Family photos may contain a 10-letter-poo poo spreader depending on how they come out. I am greatly amused by this.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

e: I just realized I have a spare video card, and a spare PCIx slot.... hmm, wonder how well two non-SLI, multiple-generations-apart geforce cards will play together... we'll find out!

Holy poo poo do NOT try this. Windows 10 (probably all versions) gets pissy as all gently caress about having 2 different versions of GeForce drivers installed. Spare card is an ancient 8400 GS (I honestly thought it was a GT 240, but either way, GT 240 and 8400 GS use the same drivers), current card is a GTX 650 Ti SSC. I could get one or the other to work (never got both working at the same time), but the PC kept locking up, to the point that it forced itself into safe mode, and in my case, networking doesn't work in safe mode (even if you select safe mode with networking :argh:). It's probably fine if you have cards close enough together in age to use the same driver, and I know it's fine with different brands of cards (old motherboard had onboard Intel video, and it worked fine as a "3rd monitor" aka TV via HDMI out). But the last driver to support the 8xxx series was released a year ago, and it doesn't support any remotely recent cards (GTX 650 is pretty old, but new enough to have a different driver).

I discovered that I can't login using my PIN in safe mode... and for whatever reason, the password on my Microsoft account associated with the PC hasn't actually updated in ages (despite this install being a couple of months old, and having changed said password every ~6 months). Had to use Lastpass's website on my phone and use their password history, the one from 4 passwords ago finally got me in so I could disable loving safe mode and install working video drivers again. Not that I can remember a lot of passwords anyway, important stuff (like my Microsoft account, since my OneDrive account has sensitive stuff backed up to it) has random alphanumeric passwords. If I didn't have Lastpass I'd be trying to figure out how to make install media via phone -> USB OTG -> flash drive and starting over from scratch. :fuckoff:

Guess I'm gonna be looking for a super cheap video card that's NOT nVidia.... or if it is, at least new enough to use the same drivers as the 650.

Upside: once I got it working, I played with the automatic overclock option on this board... went from 2.7 GHz to 3.6 GHz, at the expense of RAM speed going down a little. Seems a little quicker?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 29, 2017

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Just today I stirred a shitload of ketchup into my Kraft mac n cheese, wouldn't eat it any other way.

Ketchup rules, especially Trader Joe's ketchup.

Kraft Dinner without ketchup is sacrilegious.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Fermented Tinal posted:

Kraft Dinner without ketchup is sacrilegious.

I'm more of a can-of-tuna in the Mac n cheese if I'm honest :yum:

Although these days it's 'nice' boxed Mac and a can of pole-caught Albacore but hey!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Can't tell which posts about steak and kechup are real or trolling but either way I'm triggered rn

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BraveUlysses posted:

Can't tell which posts about steak and kechup are real or trolling but either way I'm triggered rn

There are no real posts about steak and kechup, obv.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
French mustard is quite good with steak, but I don't think you get that in the US (it isn't actually French, they just named it that).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Went to pick up a little vice I got on eBay from an old fella nearby, he's got 3 campervans, 2 old minis, 2 tractors and 2 20s Austin's. Great bloke, had a little chat and he showed me a few things he's working on.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

InitialDave posted:

French mustard is quite good with steak, but I don't think you get that in the US (it isn't actually French, they just named it that).

Like the brand, French’s?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Like the brand, French’s?
No, it was Colman's who first made it, but they don't now, though all the supermarkets do their own version. It's a mid-brown colour, and not as sharp in flavour as yellow mustard.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Speaking of hamburgers, I just made a curry burger with pepper jack cheese since I didn’t have paneer then topped it with sautéed onions and peppers

It’s real good

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

everdave posted:

Do you have the new or first gen arlo Pro? Amazon has the base station with 1 camera for just $219

2nd gen arlo pro. I think it had some features that made it worth it to me over the first gen. My two camera system was $400 something.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Burgers are weekday food you scrubs. I smoked nine pounds of pork ribs for dinner tonight and I was richly blessed. :btroll:

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Never have 3 cars. 2 cars is just right. When you have 3 they all conspire against you.

Front diff to axle seal on my 04 wrx is leaking badly so I went to try to replace it today with out the subaru too. It seems too tight to use a punch and a hammer, as the vanes on the sundial are getting pretty hosed up and ive only got it a half turn loose. So im going to try to make a tool tomorrow after work. If that works then were good, else wise its going to the dealer.

The M3 driving home with a mountain bike in the trunk today, decided to bust its mount. I dont know if its the mount bolt or the diff casting, but the front of the diff is no longer being supported. (this means new diff time)

Hears hoping the miata is driving.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

InitialDave posted:

No, it was Colman's who first made it, but they don't now, though all the supermarkets do their own version. It's a mid-brown colour, and not as sharp in flavour as yellow mustard.

Uh, like Dijon?

Coleman's mustard in the tiny jar is legit, and horseradish/wasabi mustard with a little brown sugar makes a good sauce for things like tritip.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Sadi posted:

Never have 3 cars. 2 cars is just right. When you have 3 they all conspire against you.

Front diff to axle seal on my 04 wrx is leaking badly so I went to try to replace it today with out the subaru too. It seems too tight to use a punch and a hammer, as the vanes on the sundial are getting pretty hosed up and ive only got it a half turn loose. So im going to try to make a tool tomorrow after work. If that works then were good, else wise its going to the dealer.

The M3 driving home with a mountain bike in the trunk today, decided to bust its mount. I dont know if its the mount bolt or the diff casting, but the front of the diff is no longer being supported. (this means new diff time)

Hears hoping the miata is driving.

Nah. You have to have one car that's new enough to not generally break and then you can have as many dumb cars as you want.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Enourmo posted:

Pfft, you need a particular band for that? Look at this scrub who never learned about 32kbps mp3s.

I assume he means as a native audio CD, not a CD full of MP3s.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Streaming video chat: After going through a Roku and a couple BD players that had streaming capability, all leaving something to be desired, I finally broke down and bought an intel stick PC. $350 plus a cheap wireless keyboard with touch pad and I have a full win10 PC in my living room. Came with 64 gigs of onboard storage, stuffed a 128 gig expansion card in it and I have my whole music collection and every possible streaming service available. Posting from it right now in fact. For those that wish their streamer had a browser, this thing is the poo poo. I opted for the mid grade unit because the reviews said the cheap ($125) unit had poor wifi reception., and I wanted to ensure good video output. It's tiny, I have it hidden in a drawer in my tv stand, and it has 3 usb ports.

Basically it's an out of box HTPC option after all these years. https://smile.amazon.com/Intel-Comp...ywords=stick+pc

Bought a cheap harmony remote at the same time, and now I have a single remote and this keyboard that run everything I could possibly want.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 30, 2017

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I went to a Brazilian steakhouse tonight.

I think I ate too much.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

IOwnCalculus posted:

I assume he means as a native audio CD, not a CD full of MP3s.

Correct!

Pennywise were cool, the crowd was... not diverse. That was the largest gathering of white males I have seen in a long time.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Speaking of hamburgers, I just made a curry burger with pepper jack cheese since I didn’t have paneer then topped it with sautéed onions and peppers

It’s real good

That sounds really good. I usually stick to tried and true with my burgers, but that would be worth a shot

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Anyone here ever installed or run air springs in a truck? My wife regularly hauls 1950lbs of feed in my tundra which is rated at 1400lbs cargo. The springs nearly flatten out. It does the same thing when I haul hay. I talked her into letting me get a bigger truck and picked out a nice Ram 3500 mega cab cummins/aisin with factory auto-level air suspension but until I can scrape together $30k to make up the difference in trade I need a solution.

I was thinking of going with airlift load-lifters and one of their wireless compressor options. Any downfalls to doing this? Would it hurt resale if I were to just trade it in?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

My FIL runs them on his new f350 camper hauler. I can ask what brand he recommends, he's a pretty good shopper. He happens to be here now - I spent most of my free time this weekend adding a service panel with 50A rv plug, and repairing the water line at my shop and adding a frost-free spigot. Next up is adding a backflow preventer and cleanout tee so they can dump into the septic tank. Oh joy.

(I knew this stuff was coming up, and planned to start on it this weekend anyway, but finding out on Wednesday that they would be here on Saturday moved everything into hurry-up)

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Man Stranger Things S2 was so drat solid. The accidental friendship between Dustin and Steve was possibly one of the best things I've ever seen.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Goober Peas posted:

Someone broke into my house this morning. Pried a window open, set off the alarm. Alarm set off neighborhood dogs. Dogs set off neighbors who got a good description of burglar and getaway vehicle.

Nothing missing, window repaired.

Who breaks into a well armed, highly visible house in broad daylight?

If petty criminals were smart, they wouldn't be petty criminals.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Hey, are RX8s like really easy to break into with a slim jim or something?
So my brother moved back to my parents house (long story), and his car is getting rummaged through regularly. No windows broken, they're just opening the door somehow. I swears he's locking the thing. He doesn't keep anything in there, but it is annoying as gently caress.
They don't touch either of my parents cars (an infiniti and a toyota) nor do they touch my subaru that I park in front of their house (I only have one parking spot at my place).

This car's been a theft magnet for ever for some reason, lots of broken windows, but now they're just slim jimming it or something.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Not sure, but this is one of the only times you'll ever see me recommend installing an aftermarket car alarm (I have no issue with the alarms.. it's people cranking the shock sensor up to 11 that I have problems with, which is 99% of installers). Preferably one with a 2 way remote. Hide the valet/bypass switch in an unusual spot (most shops put them on the drivers side kick panel, and most systems I know of just require flipping the switch with power to the ignition/run circuit to shut down the alarm).

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

nm posted:

Hey, are RX8s like really easy to break into with a slim jim or something?
So my brother moved back to my parents house (long story), and his car is getting rummaged through regularly. No windows broken, they're just opening the door somehow. I swears he's locking the thing. He doesn't keep anything in there, but it is annoying as gently caress.
They don't touch either of my parents cars (an infiniti and a toyota) nor do they touch my subaru that I park in front of their house (I only have one parking spot at my place).

This car's been a theft magnet for ever for some reason, lots of broken windows, but now they're just slim jimming it or something.

https://www.techly.com.au/2015/08/21/unlock-car-keyless-entry-system-using-40-device/

Or similar. You dont need to slimjim cars of that vintage

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

monsterzero posted:

Uh, like Dijon?
No.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jesus christ, had a hard time falling asleep last night so I took a Zopiclone which we had. A little groggy this AM, nothing terrible, but motherfucker my mouth tastes like metallic rear end.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

slidebite posted:

Jesus christ, had a hard time falling asleep last night so I took a Zopiclone which we had. A little groggy this AM, nothing terrible, but motherfucker my mouth tastes like metallic rear end.

I just got prescribed some of those. Holy gently caress they taste terrible. Woke up with a serious case of "did I clean a litterbox with my tongue while sleeping?" in the morning. Blech.
Didn't even help me sleep :(

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ilkhan posted:

They already dropped the price? Fuckers.

Actually I need to amend my previous statement about the Pixel 2 XL price being dropped.
I forgot about tax.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Dannywilson posted:

Man Stranger Things S2 was so drat solid. The accidental friendship between Dustin and Steve was possibly one of the best things I've ever seen.

Agreed, but gently caress them for killing Mews. Seriously, if Jonesy can survive a loving xenomorph, Mews should have survived a half-tame Demogorgon.:argh:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Actually I need to amend my previous statement about the Pixel 2 XL price being dropped.
I forgot about tax.
Ok. I feel better now. I looked and was like wtf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

And like the tremendous piece of poo poo that i am, with a week of snow starting tomorrow, i still haven't gotten the snowblower back together :smith:

• Locked thread