Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So I am heading out to Nashville tomorrow for the week for a business meeting. Might be a little tight for free time, but if I am able to squeeze some in, what is on the must see and do list while I'm there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

So I am heading out to Nashville tomorrow for the week for a business meeting. Might be a little tight for free time, but if I am able to squeeze some in, what is on the must see and do list while I'm there?

The corvette museum is about an hour north in Bowling Green.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Powershift posted:

And like the tremendous piece of poo poo that i am, with a week of snow starting tomorrow, i still haven't gotten the snowblower back together :smith:

Eh, this time of year the ground is so warm that it'll melt quickly, anyway.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seminal Flu posted:

I think some of this stuff is gonna stick around.

I think it was 2015, we got a full year's worth of snow in November alone.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Seminal Flu posted:

Maybe for you, not for him.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Powershift posted:

The corvette museum is about an hour north in Bowling Green.

Don't fall into any sinkholes but yeah I'd say it's worth an hour side trip. Dunno how hard it is to finagle a factory tour but that's cool as well. My dad managed to schedule one on the day his C6 was built so we basically followed it around all day.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Don't fall into any sinkholes but yeah I'd say it's worth an hour side trip. Dunno how hard it is to finagle a factory tour but that's cool as well. My dad managed to schedule one on the day his C6 was built so we basically followed it around all day.

The tours are shut down until 2019.

The museum is still cool though, granted it's been like 20 years since i've been there.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

As much as I would love to, any free time I have (and that's an if) is going to be on the evening so I think that will be out of the question.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

slidebite posted:

PM me and giveback me a feel of things you enjoy doing. Car wise the Lane motor museum has some things you can see nowhere else. Get with me about food/music whatever

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
+1 for Lane Motor Museum

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

As much as I would love to, any free time I have (and that's an if) is going to be on the evening so I think that will be out of the question.

Rent a corvette and make the run. You'll get there quicker and be able to park up front! :haw:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I booked tickets to go to a book signing (transportation tickets, not signing tickets). Love this author, so it'll be special. First time on megabus, too. Should be nice.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

slidebite posted:

If you like eating there’s a gently caress ton of awesome food there. Pancake Pantry does a cornmeal pancake that I loving love. I dream of weenie is fun and tasty, sky blue has biscuits and gravely that will have you full for the next two days.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

Streaming video chat: After going through a Roku and a couple BD players that had streaming capability, all leaving something to be desired, I finally broke down and bought an intel stick PC. $350 plus a cheap wireless keyboard with touch pad and I have a full win10 PC in my living room. Came with 64 gigs of onboard storage, stuffed a 128 gig expansion card in it and I have my whole music collection and every possible streaming service available. Posting from it right now in fact. For those that wish their streamer had a browser, this thing is the poo poo. I opted for the mid grade unit because the reviews said the cheap ($125) unit had poor wifi reception., and I wanted to ensure good video output. It's tiny, I have it hidden in a drawer in my tv stand, and it has 3 usb ports.

Basically it's an out of box HTPC option after all these years. https://smile.amazon.com/Intel-Comp...ywords=stick+pc

Bought a cheap harmony remote at the same time, and now I have a single remote and this keyboard that run everything I could possibly want.

Sounds awesome, would be perfect for the MotoGP online subscription I plan on getting for next season.

The only thing holding me back from cutting the cord now is the amount of live sports I tend to watch, but cable is getting ridiculous.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The only thing holding me back from cutting the cord now is the amount of live sports I tend to watch, but cable is getting ridiculous.

If you don't mind the network (instead of local) announcers Hulu's live option ($30/month) includes live sports, plus you get access to most of the major networks' programming both real time and streaming.

Browser-based user interface is still terrible though...

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

ilkhan posted:

First time on megabus, too. Should be nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68dTwJNvE1E

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

There were amazingly few torrents available for that movie.
But I got it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Geoj posted:

If you don't mind the network (instead of local) announcers Hulu's live option ($30/month) includes live sports, plus you get access to most of the major networks' programming both real time and streaming.

Browser-based user interface is still terrible though...

For major networks I can just get a good HD antenna I suppose.

and then having one of those computer sticks in addition would be ideal I think. I wonder how much the cable company will rape me just to have internet tho, such a drat monopoly so they are going to penalize cord cutters to the point you might as well just have the package deal.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I've been doing internet only from TWC/Spectrum for about a decade now. Currently paying $80/month for 30 down/10 up - granted it's not as cheap as the packaged deals but I have no need for a landline at home and zero interest in paying for the 40% commercials you get on cable or satellite.

Between broadband and subscriptions to Netflix, Hulu & HBO Now we're paying about $110/month, which is right around what I'd be paying for internet & TV outside of a promo deal, and I don't have the patience (not to mention Spectrum is the only ISP in my neighborhood) to play chicken with their customer service to keep the promo rate.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sadi posted:

If you like eating there’s a gently caress ton of awesome food there. Pancake Pantry does a cornmeal pancake that I loving love. I dream of weenie is fun and tasty, sky blue has biscuits and gravely that will have you full for the next two days.

everdave posted:

PM me and giveback me a feel of things you enjoy doing. Car wise the Lane motor museum has some things you can see nowhere else. Get with me about food/music whatever

I look forward to good eats. I'm hoping to have Thurs and Friday evenings available but won't know until then.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

everdave posted:

Man that sounds like poo poo I don’t want to deal with. I either want it recording full time to a dedicated box or just get alerts and be a ken to pull up proof if X was at my house. I’m foggyvwith a head cold going to read up on some of these and will drop you a line if I want to pursue what you have but right now that sounds like a big hassle.

Apparently I wasn't the only one who thought it was poo poo as they released a firmware update over the weekend which improved the hidden settings button and fixed some firmware update issues when attaching camera.. though I applied it on Saturday morning and the software crashed a couple of hours later and I didn't notice until Sunday. It doesn't even crash properly such that the windows service manager auto restarts it.

Thismorning I did however get a video of some blue tits checking out my camera which was a pleasant surprise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lqw_4rbzCo

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 31, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Siochain posted:

I just got prescribed some of those. Holy gently caress they taste terrible. Woke up with a serious case of "did I clean a litterbox with my tongue while sleeping?" in the morning. Blech.
Didn't even help me sleep :(
I actually find them hit and miss, but generally better than nothing and waaaaay better than a couple melatonin. The taste though is pretty god drat bad though. My physician says they are pretty effective for helping people with shift work get their rythym back in order, but who knows.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Applebees Appetizer posted:

For major networks I can just get a good HD antenna I suppose.

and then having one of those computer sticks in addition would be ideal I think. I wonder how much the cable company will rape me just to have internet tho, such a drat monopoly so they are going to penalize cord cutters to the point you might as well just have the package deal.

I pay ~60 with taxes/fees for 100/10 cable. Current plans cost a little more and are 100/5, but I'm on a legacy plan (and the phone rep basically yelled DON'T CHANGE YOUR PLAN UNLESS YOU WANT LESS FOR MORE!). I think they offer 20 up on the 200 down plan here.

Unfortunately my only options are Frontier and TWC/Spectrum. Frontier is FTTH, but I still know enough people that work there (including people in their NOC) to know not to use them. Still, symmetrical speeds are nice, and they do have a better introductory price (.. for 50/50 anyway).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

e: oh goddamnit thought I was posting in 2 different thread... sorry for the double post :doh:

So if you're going to order a bunch of food from IHOP at midnight... maybe try leaving your phone on. They shut their phone off (was going straight to voicemail every time), and the gate callbox was broken. Finally got in when someone coming out opened the gate... only to knock on their door several times and not get an answer. :argh:

Had to "dispose of in a way I see fit" of the 8 pancakes + bacon + eggs + hashbrowns, and I still got paid for the attempted delivery. My stomach feels like it's going to explode now.. I'm annoyed about wasting about 30 minutes of my time over that, though.

IOwnCalculus posted:

When I was a kid, I wanted to go on a tour of the Saturn factory. I hated GMs back then (mostly because my mother always drove a brand new Caddy, due to her pops expecting her to do so, since he owned the only Caddy dealer in town - her cars always spent a ton of time in the shop), but liked Saturns, and they had cool commercials that showed Saturn owner homecomings.

(now here it is ~25 years later, and I'm driving a Saturn... in name only, it's really a Cobalt/G5 with different body panels and IMO better seats)

Geoj posted:

I've been doing internet only from TWC/Spectrum for about a decade now. Currently paying $80/month for 30 down/10 up - granted it's not as cheap as the packaged deals but I have no need for a landline at home and zero interest in paying for the 40% commercials you get on cable or satellite.

Between broadband and subscriptions to Netflix, Hulu & HBO Now we're paying about $110/month, which is right around what I'd be paying for internet & TV outside of a promo deal, and I don't have the patience (not to mention Spectrum is the only ISP in my neighborhood) to play chicken with their customer service to keep the promo rate.

Call them and ask if they've upgraded the node in your area. If they have, "ultimate" is now 100/5 or 100/10, for ~$50/mo. At least, I'm paying $60 + taxes/fees for Ultimate 100, and my promo is long expired. The new Ultimate 100 is 100/5 in a lot of areas, but it's still a hell of an upgrade over 30.

I don't think they automatically bump you up when they do upgrades on their side. Not positive on that, though. I know they've put Maxx upgrades on hold since the merger,

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Oct 31, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Got a screaming deal on a car I thought was going to cost a bit more so I'm pretty happy. And not that I care about rarity but I'm pretty positive that there aren't many Toyota Crown Royal Saloon Wagons in the USA.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The next little poo poo that knocks on my door is going to be met wiht an axe... CANT YOU DUMB IDIOTS READ THE SIGN SAYING NO TRICK OR TREAT HERE?!?!?!!?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

slidebite posted:

I look forward to good eats. I'm hoping to have Thurs and Friday evenings available but won't know until then.
Burger Republic - pretty good burgers and alcoholic malts

Wedding went well but absolutely flew by. One minute I'm stressed out in the hotel getting ready, next we're done and on the way to Biltmore for the weekend. Was great but drat I'm glad that's over and that we went with a tiny/simple wedding instead of some monster thing. Biltmore was cool but we were too tired to do much more than tour the winery, get room service and sleep. Life should be calming down now finally.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Oct 31, 2017

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

NitroSpazzz posted:

Life should be calming down now finally.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

*catches breath*

I mean, congrats dude! :)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It's about to be November in four hours. Where's the new thread?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Still in the oven waiting for a flaky brown crust to appear.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Flaky for sure :haw:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The next little poo poo that knocks on my door is going to be met wiht an axe... CANT YOU DUMB IDIOTS READ THE SIGN SAYING NO TRICK OR TREAT HERE?!?!?!!?

You need weed my dude.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Holy ol' gently caress house buying is stressful as all hell. Also, gently caress all realtors with rusty shovels, the lot of them.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

bolind posted:

Holy ol' gently caress house buying is stressful as all hell. Also, gently caress all realtors with rusty shovels, the lot of them.

I got lucky and was recommended a great one. I recommend her to everyone in the market. Most realtors suck.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
We only really have realtors on the buyer's side. And they all unanimously suck. Talk a million miles a minute, dress fancy, drive big Audi? Easy. (I usually bet my wife that on the way to a showing that the realtor will drive a black A6 wagon. I've been right 80% of the time so far.) Any useful knowledge about this seven figure thing they're selling? Nope. None.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

bolind posted:

Selling is worse, but yeah, both sides are an arduous process. Having a good realtor is key. I recently sold in AK and bought in NC, which sucked because I had to pay all fees as the seller up there, and all the fees as the buyer here :/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Realtors are not too far from the level of used car salesman in my book, but usually have fancier cars and nicer offices, make a grotesque commisiion and still refuse to take responsibility for any gently caress ups that might happen in a transaction. Still like to put their photo on their business cards/ads everywhere like car salespeople. Are you supposed to recognize them, or care about it, when you see them walking somewhere?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
See also: insurance agents.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

New thread up since it's actually november in aus - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3839093

Maybe we'll reach auspol levels of procrastination in a couple of months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

slidebite posted:

Realtors are not too far from the level of used car salesman in my book, but usually have fancier cars and nicer offices, make a grotesque commisiion and still refuse to take responsibility for any gently caress ups that might happen in a transaction. Still like to put their photo on their business cards/ads everywhere like car salespeople. Are you supposed to recognize them, or care about it, when you see them walking somewhere?

Clearly people's exposure to realtors is highly subjective. We used a realtor in AK who took care of the entire selling process with minimal input from us, and managed to sell our house for 101% of asking price in 22hrs from the time it hit the MLS. Similarly, we're now great friends with our NC realtor because she took massive amounts of time to show us 27 homes in 3 weeks and likewise made the buying process as painless as possible.

The commission is interesting too. I think it's very dependent on your sales level and how your realty office works, but our AK realtor had to pay a large portion of his commission to the realty office he worked under until he reached a certain point. Then he would be able to keep the entire 3% (nominally). He said he basically pays them until late summer, then if he's lucky enough to sell fall or winter houses he'll make some extra money. He drove a 15 year old forester. Alternatively, our NC realtor is right at the top of her game, in a town that has enormous real estate activity. She's doing extremely well, and said she moves around 30 homes a year. Donates a large amount of her money to charity and drives an FJ62. :shrug:

• Locked thread