Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

maskenfreiheit posted:

What's the deal? Is Tony dead?

I'll still argue to my dying day that the point is that we don't know and never will know. Our journey along with Tony basically paralleled Melfi's, we were safely able to ride along and root for him and enjoy his crimes and infidelities a step removed, and then it was over and we no longer had that privileged insight into his life. Maybe that guy in the Members Only jacket stepped out of the bathroom and killed him? Maybe he went home and lived another 30 years on top of the rickety ship of the modern day Mafia? Maybe he was killed a day, a week, a month, a year later? Maybe he had a heart attack at dinner and fell down dead at the table? Was hit by a car several weeks down the line? Got taken out by some new rising Captain?

The point is, I'd argue, that we don't know, and that just because as viewers we knew the show was ending didn't mean we got to see Tony get what he "deserved" after rooting for him to succeed over the preceding seasons for our own entertainment.

I still love this show. It's clunky by comparison to modern television and feels like it was largely put together on the fly after Nancy Marchand died, but it stands the test of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm actually talking more about the technical aspects - their transitions and cuts feel kinda primitive and there is still a bit of a sense that audiences used to network drama weren't going to get basic subtleties (like the parallels between Meadow and Tracee) so they would ram it down their throats. To be fair, that's still a problem a lot of dramas have nowadays and sometimes it feels justified that people just aren't going to get things unless it's laid out explicitly.

In regards to the Nancy Marchand stuff, the first few episodes of season 3 feel disjointed, like the writers were struggling to find a storyline. Things only really feel like they start coming together once Ralphie and Jackie start coming to the fore. Not that the episodes are bad, just that it mostly feels like disconnected scenes being strung together. Though the joke of the FBI spending all that time setting up that lamp only for Meadow to take it away is a pretty great shaggy dog story.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It also cracks me up because early into Ralphie's time on the show, he whacks that poor bouncer at the Bada-Bing in the face while re-enacting a scene from Gladiator. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree I guess.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I just recently rewatched that episode where AJ and his dumb friends smash up the school. The scene where the cops go and talk to the pizza guys and the rapid-fire Dragnet-style dialogue is loving hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utTAphB1y4Y&t=7s

Plus of course, there will always be,"loving QUEERS! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻"

• Locked thread