Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Today's game was 500 points and your team must include Wonder Woman. My first thought was "it would be funny to have three Wonder Women, then, I'm gonna play the con Diana/Nubia/Yara". My next thoughts were "Amazon or Justice League are obvious and therefore boring keywords to use, I don't want to do that" followed by "deity? that could be fun". And then I saw that Mephisto and Dark Phoenix were both deities and hey, I've got all the AV60 chases and never played them, here's an opportunity, and then I just slotted XMXS Annihilation because I was at 430 points and she was 70. I thought it was a silly team that wouldn't be that good.

Turns out I'd promised to judge this week and forgotten so I was the bye, and good thing too, because in the two matches I played (for the third one the guy who had the bye had a party he wanted to get to and there was no prize today so I told him it was fine to leave), I steamrolled my opponents. Yara smashed anyone weak, Diana and Nubia dealt out huge damage, the MMoE are an amazing swiss army knife when you can swap out to whoever, Mephisto is the king of being obnoxious, and Annihilation drowned everyone in Daemons. I am very bad at building teams, I think, because my instincts are so off. When I try, I get smoked, but when I think I'm just goofing off, I kick everyone's rear end because it turns out I went way too hard. It's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
This week we are trying out the new silver age format, and I've suspended all houserules and encouraged people to be cheesy (I do events like this once a month under the assumption that everyone will not play bullshit in the other events. Shitbird never understood this and we are having one other player starting to be problematic but I have hope for him)

Man I struggled to build something I liked for this event. First I tried doing something with Agatha and Blackheart but never got a team a really liked nailed down. Tried doing Avengers with double capasus and the WOTR Spiderman plus the spiderman who makes avengers wildcards but it also never came together.

I finally decided gently caress it, I'm just going to play a piece I want to and see what I can do. That piece being Ultra Chase Thanos plus all the gems.

The team

Ultra-Chase Thanos - 160
Ego Gem - 0
Time Gem - 10
Reality Gem - 10
Soul Gem - 10
Power Gem - 10
Mind Gem - 10
Space Gem - 10
UC Mephisto - 30
MOE Phoenix - 50
MOE Kid Thanos - 50
Scott Porter with all the keywords - 25
Sinestro Ring - 0
Scott Porter Healer - 25

Tarot Deck of
Eight of Cups (Willpower rolls +1)
Three of Pentacles (Phase 5 squares or less, get an attack)
High Priestess (Once per turn re-roll a single d6 in a friendly characters roll including an attack roll)
Queen of Wands (Single D6 rolls +1)
Page of Swords (When using steal energy heal 2 clicks instead of 1)

Sideline of
War Machine
Scrappy Doo
The other MOE chases once I remind myself what the sideline limit is

Any thoughts on this build? I know it's gauche as gently caress but its a competitive event.

Morand fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 2, 2024

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Well I didn’t face nearly the level of cheese that I told players to bring so my games were a bit of a one sided stomp. Thanos was never hit and I lost 0 points each game as the MOE machine plus Thanos was too much to overcome.

At least it’s out of my system for awhile, I am very interested to see what will be played in other high level silver age events.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I'm working on a 300 point Detective team featuring Moon Knight and Frenchie from WOV. Pondering adding Jessica Jones and Misty Knight who can both basically recruit Detectives... Just need to figure out who to recruit and who to have as MK's pilot. Any thoughts?

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

I'm working on a 300 point Detective team featuring Moon Knight and Frenchie from WOV. Pondering adding Jessica Jones and Misty Knight who can both basically recruit Detectives... Just need to figure out who to recruit and who to have as MK's pilot. Any thoughts?

There’s a 200 point moon knight from the most recent OP kit that would be good. He’d give you prob and psychic blast.

SMBA 041 Strange for EE and prob.
WOV Elektra for BCF and CCE

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I can't get my brain around Elektra on a motorcycle riding a horse with Moon Knight.

I am currently keeping it Marvel Knightsy Heroes for Hirey.

WOV Moon Knight
WOV Frenchie
Jessica Jones
Misty Knight
Hellcat
Black Cat
Silver Sable

And I'm using SmBA Moon Knight since I can't get a 200 point MK before Thursday. And I am trying all those Detective Cases from BTU.

I'm not expecting to do well. I never do. But I want to play MK with Frenchie.

Other option is 200 point GR riding alongside Ketch and no-bike Robbie.

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 5, 2024

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

As expected 0-3.

Really suffers from lack of movement.

Also can't do much against some crazy double Porter meta team that is basically "I can do everything, 14 attack 6 damage flurry HSS blah blah"

Tight game against the Alpha Flight team though!

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

This is why I have designated fun events and designated meta events.

Double porter is a meta staple and some exhausting bullshit to play against weekly.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

This dude wasnt super douchey or anything I just don't know that he has any other speed since he is trying to do more big tourneys I guess. Also saw Earth X Absorbing Man's general effect of "split your focus so you can't actually deal with the opponent because you dont want to give them a free 11-click powerhouse out of nowhere.

Even the Alpha Flight guy, who is generally pretty cool, plays an entire sideline of Super friends + Scrappy Doo every game no matter what team he's playing.

I kinda hate Sidelines.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Dang, that's rough. Local events should be for fun play!

In that vein, tonight was my birthday, so we did 'It's My Party, I'll ___ If I Want To'. 450 points, fill in the blank with something that fits and build your team around it.

I did 'Eye If I Want To'. Balls of Fury, Orb, Thousand-Eyes Idol, Hawkeye & Hawkeye, and then Soldier Supreme since he wields the Eye of Aggamashtur. Rounded it out with the Eye of Agamotto and Millennium Eye relics.

Also brought were:
'Lie If I Want To', with President Luthor, President Osborn, Frost Giant Loki, Power Broker, big Agatha, and the Mandarin with the Liar ring.

'Tri If I Want To', with the three Kleinstock Brothers, Trinary, Angle Man, 3 Waldos Spider-Man, and then the Jokester and Superior Iron Man since that player runs them all the loving time. The justification was that Jokester can Perplex three times, and Iron Man uses Extremis 3.0 - given my 'Eye of Aggamashtur' justification, I could hardly complain.

'Cri If I Want To', with Mr. Freeze, Captain Cold, and a crapton of Polar Bears.

'Die If I Want To', with Resurrection Man, Deadman, and a few I forget.

But taking the cake was 'Kree If I Want To', with just a big mess of Kree. Was such a creative and fun take on the theme, and one that didn't at all cross my mind when I was setting up the event.

Balls of Fury has lost a bit of his edge, but he still has it in the 'oh, crap, I've got to kill that guy' department for anyone who remembers him. Just his presence on the map was enough to cause my first two opponents to overextend early in an attempt to wipe him out. I took out the Liars pretty handily, as my opponent picked an outdoor map with tons of elevated, hindering and blocking to give Orb bonuses and protect Fury. Then I lost to the Tri-hards, since the Iron Man/Jokester combination lets him get to the Extremis bonuses in about three turns, and every single attack I rolled against Jokester was a 1 and a 3, no matter how much PC I used. Then it was the Kree, where Orb's Energy Explosion really turned the tide, and Fury finally got to be a cosmic assassin.

It was a fun little event, and it was a blast to see how creative everybody was with the silly build requirement.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

That's cool. Was the fill in the blank word expected to rhyme or be as close to Cry as possible, or could someone have come with, say, a Barf themed team or anything like that?

As for my thing, I still enjoyed the Alpha Flight game (It was just Motorbike Wolverine throwing lava under my team, along with Sasquatch and an old Vindicator with a shield to give him ESD - can't get too bothered by using a beefy Sideline of chases to support running that, and the only thing that happened was Black Vulcan showing up to pen/poison once before he vanished - oh, and he was running Scott Crampton, too, which is another point filler staple of his) and the other game against an Avengers team featuring Blue Marvel, Blade, Star Brand, etc. who had Hulk as a pilot and the War Machine that comes in if you hurt Iron Man on the Sideline. At least that made some sense - and I did have a good swing at least when I took out Voodoo and Blade and then the Hulk before he could do anything.

The players are generally friendly and all right. No real shitbird attitudes. I generally do have a decent time there or I wouldn't return. It's just that usually one out of the three games I play is always going to be a dull stomping of whatever I'm running. Part of that is surely because I'm not a particularly great player and I don't get a lot of practice or time to memorize what my figs do before a game, so I'm sure I can be annoying too. I was trying out 5 Detective Cases on my Sideline and not one of them mattered.

How do you enforce the "non meta" days aside from just having people who actually get what it means? Do you have a ban list for non meta games or do you just trust folks?

I like some things Sideline does - Shifting Focus figs seem neat, not that I ever run them. It just seems a bit overdone with effects you don't have to pay for.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

We have houserules. On non meta days they’re enforced, plus it’s in our general venue notes that days where the houserules are enforced are meant to be more casual.

Houserules in a nutshell are Highlander, all figures/maps are legal but retirement is always on for additional game elements. I’ve threatened adding Scott Porter to the houserules as banned but we’ll see if that’s necessary.

It’s a loose honor system and most people get it.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
It was 'rhymes with or sounds like Cry' for that event.

We also have Highlander as the main house rule. No retirement, no feats, no battlefield conditions, none of the 'B' resources (Book, Belt, Bird, Box, Battery), no ID cards.

It's more about an ongoing anti-douchebaggery community. I used to do a mix of events like Morand does, with some serious and some silly, but that official split has eased off over the years. In my experience, it's about setting up events with odd build requirements or with odd scenarios so that the standard meta just can't work out all the time. Some players want to run cheese, and that's fine some of the time, but if they're just going to steamroll every opponent every time, you might as well just have a bye round.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

There are some cool scenarios. This one was just 300 points, run a peanut base, so I can't be too bothered. I think next week is some kind of love theme. Edit: Double Date: 500 points, run at least two couples.

There's another place I could go that is doing 300 Modern Theme (official style) next week. I might build a team for each and see which I like better.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

There are some cool scenarios. This one was just 300 points, run a peanut base, so I can't be too bothered. I think next week is some kind of love theme. Edit: Double Date: 500 points, run at least two couples.

There's another place I could go that is doing 300 Modern Theme (official style) next week. I might build a team for each and see which I like better.

I hate Valentines Day as a concept so out Valentines game is called Valentines Day Massacre. 400 points, your team must have a crime boss or an assassin on it.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Nice. I like the spite cooked into that.

I might do a Secret Six team for that. Deadshot/Jeannette and Scandal/Knockout. So I've still got some assassin flavor there.

Mad I don't have any recent Absorbing Mans to run with Titania.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
No Valentine's event for me this year. We're working our way through the Cry For Blood OP kit, with Nightwing as the prize next week.

Way back in the day, whenever anyone would play Crisis Nightwing, they'd put him out there all bold. 'He has a 17 defense with Stealth, Combat Reflexes AND ES/D! There's no way he's gonna get hit!' And, of course, he'd get hit every time. So to this day, whenever you're counting on a high defense and it gets hit immediately, that is 'getting Nightwing'd.'

So, I'm running 'Get Nightwing'd'
400 points, any attacks made against a character on their starting click will automatically hit unless it's a crit miss. Roll as usual to see if you crit miss, crit hit, or activate Rally dice.

I'm curious to see how many people bring teams designed around figures that can freely move off their starting clicks, vampires, or characters that are immune on their starting clicks.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Had a friend who played that Nightwing a lot and he was just as unhittable as advertised. And that Nightwing is now in scale with regular figures.

I wonder if Ice Cap would work because his starting click is a countdown click.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Steve Vader posted:

I wonder if Ice Cap would work because his starting click is a countdown click.

Yeah, I'd certainly allow the countdown figures as a way around the scenario. It's all about clever team building.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Immortal hulk. Yes please hit me I dare you

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Any suggestions on how to make the Hulk Red She Hulk duo fig more viable? It's Golden Age so I could use feats and such since duos can't have equipment.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

Any suggestions on how to make the Hulk Red She Hulk duo fig more viable? It's Golden Age so I could use feats and such since duos can't have equipment.

300 points is a lot, especially when their best move and attack option gives them a -2 attack. The old trick was to play an outsider with then so they don’t get -2. I think they’re gonna get wrecked pretty bad no matter what you do but at minimum play night nurse so they can reduce penetrating damage.

So today was our Valentine’s Day massacre. Odd number of players so I got to play!

I ran (all from notorious except Harley and Ivy)

Harley from the Vday Iconix at lower value
Poison Ivy from the Vday Iconix at lower value
Penguin
Joker
Jervis Tech
Riddler from OP kit who gives the war of jokes and riddles card out
Two Face
2 G.O.O.N. at 15

This team was a load of fun, even if 2 face went 0-4 trying to roll a head while attacking to make a critical hit.

In round 1 I faced the guy who ended up winning the whole event with his take on the suicide squad game

King Shark with a motorcycle
Deadshot with Hellbike
Zombie Hunting Harley
Iconix Vday Ivy
Amanda Waller

I won map and chose to go second because I get so many bonuses going second. Tossed control tokens on King Shark and Deadshot to make them slightly less scary but it turns out zombie hunting Harley loving loves going against swarms so it didn’t matter except to cancel out her bonuses.

First blood to Harley as she hit with an EE and unclumped my main clump. King shark then ended my Harley and a goon who respawned. I moved my empower goons up and Joker started hitting king shark hard. Once he was on senses he then got poisoned like crazy by joker and Ivy and my goons before going down. Deadshot had chosen a bear as his target cause it was funny and got into a fistfight with said bear that he won, but then the bears identical twin appeared and won the subsequent fistfight. Two face missed his 2 coin flip attack rolls but once Harley got uncapped by riddler she got taken down hard by penguin and friends. Ivy did some poisoning but eventually went down.

Round 2 versus Assassins

Ra’s Al Ghul with his prime sidelined
Black Manta
Killer Croc
Deadshot
Lincoln March

Lost map roll and ended up on the iceberg lounge so croc and manta had a big pool to play in. Also didn’t get any of my cool bonuses. Lost jervis early as Deadshot had chosen him as his target and took shots at him. I couldn’t roll for poo poo early on and lost a good chunk of goons and joker. Suddenly the pendulum swung hard in my favor as my opponent rolled 2 crit misses and I started to hit which got me manta and Deadshot and Lincoln March. Time was called as two face tried to knife croc but missed. I barely won on points but again didn’t matter cause bye game.

Round 3 versus one of our newbies running

200 point Ghost Rider from OP kit with a bike
Madam Web
OP Kit Riddler with utility belt
Carnage with black Symbiote
Gwen Stacy

Absorbing Man Prime on sideline.

I won map, went second and got all my bonuses. Chipped Rider and Carnage. He held back early on cause he wanted to bring in absorbing man. Except he forgot I got me some Mind Control that doesn’t care about LOF so I made his Ghost rider come to the party and man there are so many negatives I can put on a tentpole. With Riddler and the control token he was looking at a -1 to -2 to all values plus the -1 attack and damage from the chip. He got to take 2 3 actions with that rider. 2 moves and a regen before it was a dead rider. Absorbing man came out but was a no factor as he got chipped as well and was routinely in smoke and a 9 attack doesn’t worry me. I eventually got rider riddler and carnage, he KO’d some goons but they came back each time so I in effect lost nothing.

I love the expendable goons.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Steve Vader posted:

Yeah, it's unfortunate, but short of a legacy card I don't really see too many ways. Maybe if you go with a Power Battery to give them a Sniper Rifle... Duo Attack would become useful with the 10 range and Sidestep.

Feat-wise, Shellhead would be handy for the defense boost when pushed. Lunge would be great, since when paired with their Sidestep they could still move 4 squares before doing a Duo Attack. Add the Sidestep FEAT, and then they can move another 4 between Duo Attacks.

I would definitely look to abuse Split/Merge as much as possible. There are plenty of Hulks that would love to be brought in on their middle-to-late clicks, and with 300 points to play with, you'd have the pick of the litter. Swap to Immortal Hulk if you want some healing, War Hulk if you're on 5-7, and so on.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

For some reason I was thinking the -2 came from old duo rules but wow they are a Transporter. Forgot about that.

Tentatively running them with A60 Strange and Clea. Adding Night Nurse leaves me with 40 points to spend. I was gonna put Bats on for fun, but I could use the space for feat beef. Or maybe, at long last, I will learn how to use the old Power Battery... Although it feels janky theme wise (Could run John Stewart/Karma Tui and... Guy Gardner and Ice? Kyle and Jade? I hate Hal so won't run him...)

Alas I don't have Immortal or the newer War Hulk. But I'm sure I can find some beef there.

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 13, 2024

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

For some reason I was thinking the -2 came from old duo rules but wow they are a Transporter. Forgot about that.

Tentatively running them with A60 Strange and Clea. Adding Night Nurse leaves me with 40 points to spend. I was gonna put Bats on for fun, but I could use the space for feat beef. Or maybe, at long last, I will learn how to use the old Power Battery... Although it feels janky theme wise (Could run John Stewart/Karma Tui and... Guy Gardner and Ice? Kyle and Jade? I hate Hal so won't run him...)

Alas I don't have Immortal or the newer War Hulk. But I'm sure I can find some beef there.

Well protected is kinda a given for a feat. Fortitude seems a waste since they're already outwit resistant a little bit. God it's been so long since I've used feats. Maybe warbound so you can shuffle tokens to Clea (She is 150 right?)

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

I think I'm in love with the expendable goon mechanic. Yesterday was 600 no restrictions and I just played my same bat enemy team only with more goons and King Shark. It's such a fun team. On the plus side we had 2 more new players show up so we had 7 players at this event which is loving awesome and even more reasons for me to pat myself on the back for kicking shitbird to the curb.

Next week is a scenario one of my co-judges suggested. "Life on the C List" 400 points but any figure you play must have been clixed 3 times or less. This includes variants so while Capwolf might have only been clixed twice he's still Captain America who has a bajillion versions.

Common consensus seems to be "play Zadkiel or Chthon" but gently caress that.

I'm gonna run even more goons

WOL Weaponer of Qward - 211
Sinestro Ring - 0

The exact build of the rest of the team is up in the air for me. It's either going to be

3 BTU Thunderers of Qward at 50
2 Thunderers at 15

OR

2 Thunderer at 50
5 Thunderers at 15
An indigo ring on one of the 15 point thunderers so I can run my tentpole back for healing if need be.

Zadkiel I can deal with. He's got 0 stop clicks and I outswing him by a considerable amount. Choose Super Strength, grab big object and hit him for 7 penetrating clicks and he won't be able to heal it all back before weaponer ends him next round. Chthon is a much bigger problem as only weaponer can hurt him once he hits a stop click. I could mitigate this if I had an old crisis thunderer since they have enhancement but sadly all my crisis was sold years ago to replace a chimney liner.

My other option is to just play Zadkiel as he laughs off Chthon but I don't wanna

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
This past week, I bought the Sherlock Holmes Iconix, and played most of them. First off, the presentation is top-notch. I hadn't seen anything but the dials before buying it, but they did pretty much everything exactly as I'd hoped. All the character cards are bi-fold, with a book jacket on the outside. The sculpt portraits are in black and white, like old newspaper illustrations. Pretty much my only issue with the packaging is that the figures were so tight in the plastic that melee Sherlock popped off his base when I tried to remove him.

Team-wise, I ran Sherlock (starting with 'smart' Sherlock), Watson, and Adler, as well as the new LE Nightwing, Data as Sherlock Holmes, and Jimmy Woo, along with a big mess of Mystery Cards. I even saddled myself with the War of Jokes and Riddles, with the theory that it would be an easy Mystery to solve and give Nightwing a quick +1 to all combat values. In practice, Nightwing got Nightwing'd pretty quickly most games, and the War card hindered me for a while, but then would turn into one of my best tools.

The short of it is that Watson is freaking insane on a Detective team. Every time you add a Clue to a Mystery Card, you get to heal a friendly character 1 click. And, as built, I was adding Clues every time I made Willpower or Super Senses, hit with an attack, was hit with an attack while I occupied Hindering, used Outwit, or Perplexed an opposing character. If one of my characters didn't die in one round, they'd be top-dial on the next round.

Offense-wise, we were a bit lacking once Nightwing got KO'd, but only until the Mystery of the Speckled Band got enough Clues to give my team Poison, at which point it was Outwit a defense power (gain a Clue token, heal a guy 1) have Irene Poison someone, then generate three Irene Disguises who'd all Poison the same guy, then any of those which had been generated in Hindering would use their Autonomous to attack (gain a Clue token, heal 1 guy for each attack). It was a heck of a lot to keep track of, but man, that team was some bullshit.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Well my thunderers didn’t come in, but my Sherlock did so I had to readjust for the C-list event.

I decided to run Scooby Doo and some special guest stars.

I did:

BTU Scooby chases at 60 except Velma who was at 40.
The super outwit version of Sherlock Holmes
Watson

Sideline of

Murder in the City Enduring
Stakeout
String of Cat Burglaries
Foul Play in Funland
Which Witch is Which
Chest of Demons
Adventure of the Speckled Band
Scrappy Doo

Ok that many mystery cards pushed the build into some bullshit so lesson notes for next time.

Round 1 versus the CSA

All the legacy versions of the JSA.
Power Ring who has to roll to see if he hurts himself.
Bikes on Owlman and Superwoman.

I lost map roll, ended up on a relatively open map. With tk and ultra man’s 11 speed his swing was the map so I just moved up a bit and prepared. He TK’d out ultraman, and managed to hit Velma for 4 which did not KO her. He bunched up and ended his turn. Watson used whetstone on Velma and I used her burst outwit to kill hypersonic and outwit on his whole squad. Holmes followed up with another outwit. That’s was 3 tokens on Speckled Band and 3 clicks of healing to Velma. Fred then healed her the last click. Next turn he had power ring so a rs to break a wall so that ultraman could take a 5 damage shot on Velma but power ring rolled a 1 again to hurt himself and lost enhancement. He hit Velma again and she took 4. Next turn mega outwit again focusing on defensive powers and probs and then shaggy charged ultraman and did mega damage to him. Daphne and Scooby and Watson then finished off ultraman and KO’d superwoman as id hit the bonus to equipped figures with cat burglary. He had to clear and then the CSA went down hard to the gang.

Round 2 versus

Cosmic Echo
Starbrand
Sheriff Whitechapel
Aunt May
Mr. Negative
Frenchy.

Sherlock was the difference maker in this one. He moved down his cosmic beat sticks. I moved Sherlock to within 4 and then we did some burst outwit to kill movement powers and defense and shaggy oneshot cosmic echo. Starbrand took a shot but missed badly. That was all the offense he got as Starbrand fell next turn as well as the sheriff. Once all his offense was gone he tried to get me with his pogs but I hit enough speckled tokens to get poison and that was that.

Round 3 versus also Detectives

Jo Mullien with Green Lantern Ring
Starter Fred who has invulnerability
Sherlock Holmes
Watson
Daimon hellstrom
Irene Adler

A bunch of mystery cards

Unlocking Ravens Spellbook
Summer camp (the one that makes you swim)
Stakeout
The adventure of the speckled band
The man who laughs

I don’t remember the rest.

I won map, chose Wakanda. Andy moved down his squad using Watson to copy GL TA and Jo to carry. He made a stop sign and barriered in. I moved up to within 6 of the barrier and Velma blew one up and then did a burst outwit to kill his outwit and something else. Then Sherlock outwitted barrier. I moved up in preparation. He tried to do an EE on Sherlock who made his shape change roll and then tried Scooby but missed. Irene split into copies and ran to tie up the gang. But with a mystical person on the board Scooby made them all automatically break away so Daimon went down and by punching Adler clones I was able to use mystery healing from Watson to undo the mystics. He’d hit enough tokens via my outwitting to get stealth which forced me to get Velma close to keep outwitting and I ended up seeing her KO’d to some high rolls. I knocked back Fred to get some perplex mystery tokens but he used the Sherlock clues to get murder in the city high enough to turn off opposing perplex. Velma fell to very concentrated fire as Irene had kept her outwit as she was off the board when it hit and he outwitted her outwit and then my defend from Fred and put some very concentrated fire on her. I managed to hit get poison on speckled though which was bad for Andy as he didn’t have many reducers anymore. I tried to go for his Sherlock to get some outwit back but he made all the shape change rolls so we killed Watson instead. With his double outwit done he couldn’t outwit enough but I did lose scrappy as Sherlock killed his defense power and he used his poison and punching to ko scrappy. I still had all the poison though and his Sherlock basically melted as he was based by 5 figures. Jo Mullien got knocked to her stop click but she couldn’t hit and the game ended with his Fred managing to just hit my Watson but not KO him.

Overall detectives got such a boost with Sherlock and Watson. A mystery that’s very easy for Sherlock to solve and build tokens on. A new amazing source of passive healing which can negate a ton of clicks of damage. And Watson who can makes Holmes real good or Velma into a piece that can single-handedly shut down a team.

Now I’m going to file that away for a couple weeks as it’s a bunch of nonsense.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I played, as noted, also detectives, but my theme was less a coherent theme and more "I just got Sherlock Holmes and I want to play him so here's some fun detectives to pair him up with".

Sherlock Holmes (with fightin' Holmes on Sideline)
Dr. Watson
Irene Adler
Daimon Hellstrom, prime version (equipped with Motorcycle on CR/free move click)
Jo Mullein (equipped with GL ring)
Fred, the buff starter dial version

My mystery cards differed from morand's somehwat, mostly because I had no Perplex and packing Mystery Inc. mysteries wouldn't benefit me:
The Man Who Laughs
Stakeout
Super Hero Summer Camp
Unlocking Raven's Spellbook
Mystery of the Strange Cube
Adventure of the Speckled Band

Round 1 I played a themeless hodge-podge of characters who'd basically been picked as counter-picks to what the player expected to see: Zadkiel with Cthon equipped to counter Cthon, legacy card Ace to counter Sherlock Holmes, T'Chaka II and Orb just because they're annoying I think, and... something else that I can't remember, clearly, because that doesn't add up to 400. Didn't matter, whatever it was.

I lost the roll and my opponent -- of his own free will! -- chose to put us on the entirely water map from Notorious. Again, I didn't do that. I didn't even bring that map. But, okay, sure, let's do that, and 3 tokens on Super Hero Summer Camp later, my entire team could swim. Yeah, oops. Combined with the fact that this guy has a bad habit in general of hanging back and letting you set up and then fight him on your terms, I had very little trouble. Zadkiel's 20 defense isn't so impressive when I've got a ton of PD on my team to knock it back to a 17 and Daimon sniped him down with assists from Jo and Watson very easily. Once my opponent eventually moved up a little bit, he foolishly put Ace in the line of fire, and once she was dead and I got my Outwits back, it was off to the races from there.

Round 2 was against a new player whose first game was last week and was granted an exemption from the build restrictions. He brought an X-Men team of Magneto (represented by Mystique because he grabbed the wrong figure), Colossus, Cable, Iceman, Cyclops, and Gorgon. I won very easily, of course, but was pleased at the progress the player showed, as he was willing to come right up and get in my face, rather than hanging back forever, which is a bad habit it's too easy to fall into (like the round 1 guy). He didn't move in well and mostly just set his dudes up for me to slaughter them, but my team vastly outclassed his and he's new, I'm just glad he's showing progress.

Round 3 was against morand and went as described.

I can only second morand's impression of Dr. Watson, because holy poo poo, he's deceptively good. His card basically reads "as long as you played mystery cards, your opponent had better KO anyone they hit in one turn, because if not, they're healing back to full the next time you act". Combine just him, Sherlock Holmes, and Adventures of the Speckled Band -- all of which come in the box set, so you definitely have them -- and you can heal any character you want two clicks every turn for free, and it just gets sillier as you ramp it up. Oh and also he's an extremely effective attacker and Team Player for 60 mere points, because why not. Terrifyingly good, and if you see him on an opposing force, kill that bastard ASAP.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I couldn't let myself spend money on the Holmes set last night.

It was 400 Golden Theme with the Silver Age ban list. I went with an Asgardian team

Thor's Mighty Chariot at 75 Legacy Card
Asgard Daredevil to give the Chariot a 19D and Senses
Pegasus Cap to also give it ESD
Crusader

How old am I? We had nine players and most of them had never seen the Chariot in person before and were kind of amazed at how busy the sculpt is.

First game was vs. Invaders

Prime Cap
Bucky
Radiance
Starter Carter
Starter Stomper
Jim Hammond
Long Haired Namor

He chose the Hydra Island map because water.i perched the Chariot on elevated and angled a good EE shot while targeting multiple people in the same cluster to get around all the Shape Change Radiance gives out. He'd brought Namor up to challenge Crusader after breaking through wall and terrain to get to her, got a good hit in, but Cap was able to return the favor and Crusader KOed him, leaving her double tokened and after a failed breakaway sidestep she went down to Hammond to lose me the game. That was fun thanks to theme and no Superfriend sideline shenanigans.

Game 2 was against a Scientist team

New Moriarty
Jervis Tetch
Trapster
Wesley Crusher
Mole Man who generates Moloids right next to you with Plasticity
Doc Sasquatch

Tetch is silly. "Hey you just get automatic -1 to attack and damage without me doing anything." Then Trapster just had to attack to add a -1 defense blanket to the mix. I also learned Doc's power is to waste your goddamned time which also sucks when you can't break away thanks to Plasticity. I managed to take out Crusher and Moriarty and a Moloid but lost Cap to all the MC craziness Tetch does.

0-2 with a third round bye. I'm that drat good

Thankfully the place is pretty generous with prizing, so I still came away with the OP kit Two-Face and Penguin and a Blackout I didn't have.

Next game is 300 Pulp. Gotta figure out what to do with that.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Pulp is fun.

You can do a pretty drat good soldier theme with

BTU Deathstroke
Red Widow
Blue Marvel at 50
Falcon

300 on the nose and very tough to deal with.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Somebody did yell "It's Deathstroke time!" when they announced it so I know probably at least three people will play him. Of course I can't roll with the crowd so I have to figure a counter. Plus I don't have Red Widow.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

Somebody did yell "It's Deathstroke time!" when they announced it so I know probably at least three people will play him. Of course I can't roll with the crowd so I have to figure a counter. Plus I don't have Red Widow.

Serious question, is it modern age or golden age pulp? Cause there is a figure who fucks him pretty huge but she isn’t modern.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Tis Golden. Who ya got in mind?

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

Tis Golden. Who ya got in mind?

Karima from house of X. She turns off stop when she hits, has precision to get around his senses and when she hits can choose another attack power to stack on top. Put her on with a couple of attackers and deathstroke should melt.

Morand fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 2, 2024

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I have Karima, but I have almost nothing from X of Swords or XoSLOP, I sold most of my Sentinels years ago (I do have 3 of the HoX ones) and my last Detective team sucked. As a theme head I'd still like to keep generic keyword teams in-universe.

Might try her with Ultron/Jocasta, which I've been meaning to play. Don't know if I have enough Ultron Drones though. But hey, there's a 30 point Robot Cap to make it a perfect 300.

Let's see what else I can come up with.

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 3, 2024

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

I made you a quick and dirty X-Men Team that should ruin Deathstroke's Day that minimalized XOS.

HOX 046 Karima - 75
Empyre Jean Grey - 30
Empyre Scarlet Witch - 50
Rise and Fall Kid Gladiator - 75
XOS 021 Cyclops - 35
AF033 Prodigy.

4 actions thanks to cyclops's leadership.

2 outwits so you can shut down deathstokes senses and shape change. Sadly probably going to eat 2 actions as I could have sworn that the scarlet witch flew but she does not.

Karima takes the first shot, no enhancement so she does 3 and deathstroke blows by his first stop click and stops just short of his second.
Second shot is from kid gladiator, and he's carrying Jean for enhancement. That puts deathstoke on a 10 attack click.

Maybe he gets one shot off but next turn just repeat and he's dead. Should be wrap up from there. Karima also helps immensely against blue marvel as he's also quite popular in this format.

Morand fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 4, 2024

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Man, House of X was such a good set, came out right at the worst time though, group couldn't play cause of covid and then one of them died, obviously that's bad for many reasons, not just not being able to play clix.

I bought the full CURSR set but the guy emailed me saying he didn't have the SR Apocalypse unfortunately but would it be alright if he sent the Prime instead, I didn't see the email so he did it anyway but funnily enough I was fine with it. Never even got to play with it, I planned to do a team with all the silly villains as his Horsemen, Kite Man, Angle Man, Condiment King and Crazy Quilt.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Thanks for that team. I don't have that Cyclops but I may be able to borrow one. Or maybe swap him out for HoX Sunspot for the leadership.

Not nearly as strategic as I generally tend towards "what characters do I like?" But I also made a robot team of

Karima
A60 Ultron, Jocasta, Robot Cap

And a Detective team of

Karima
Damion Hellstrom A
SMBA Spider-Woman
NOT Batman because he can cancel Shape Change and Senses

Other options that don't involve Karima are either the LSV trio from NOT, adding evil Supes and Batman to them, a team featuring 3 different Doctors Strange plus dog Bats and Danny GR, or a fun Suicide Squad team which will allow me to play Polka Dot Man, Gentleman Ghost and Deadshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

That Cyclops is also a recruiter so you could bring in reinforcements if it really goes to poo poo but it’s risky at 300 as you could hit the mercy rule limit.