Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
I know I come here for the shitbird updates, and to ask if anyone remembers things from 20 years ago

like do any of you ever think about the collation issues from sinister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

John Romero posted:

I know I come here for the shitbird updates, and to ask if anyone remembers things from 20 years ago

Not unless reminded, but I do remember them.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

John Romero posted:

So many loving E. Hydro Men.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

John Romero posted:

The second to last regular Mage Knight expansion had totally borked collation, leading to every other pack containing a unique (read: Super Rare tier) piece, but it was the same U/SR for every case.

It made for a wild sealed pre release, tho.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
I kinda miss the wild days of every case being an unknown. Nowadays you can tell the contents of a brick based on the first couple boosters you open.

Sure sometimes you just got a whole load of poo poo but sometimes you struck super gold.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Hopefully no problems over the weekend with shitbird .

I've skipped the last three sets. If I were to grab a brick of something for the sale today, what would be best, Avenger 60, Notorious, or WoV?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Steve Vader posted:

I've skipped the last three sets. If I were to grab a brick of something for the sale today, what would be best, Avenger 60, Notorious, or WoV?

I skipped Avengers and Notorious entirely, but happily grabbed numerous boosters of WoV because the character selection is different. Glad I bought and kept a ton of ClixFX, too.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Steve Vader posted:

Notorious is probably my favorite set ever. Great dials and character selection, and a ton of good generics. That being said, Wheels has been a BIG surprise for me. I didn't give a poo poo about it until we actually got it on the map. The sculpts look amazing, and the figures are fun to play. You couldn't go wrong with either one.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Shitbird is being dealt with. I made a deal with them to get a year of peace and wizkids is investigating their win abuse.

And personally I’d say notorious. I loved that set. Tons of army builders and some good goddamn supermen for the first time in forever.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

How much is the Pegasus Cap? I'd really like one.

Sorry Steve. There was a purchase limit of 2 per day. You can ask Andy. He might be able to get one. I’m only at pax today.

Nothing new clix wise as wizkids booth save some Disney next wave boosters that are empty

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Morand posted:

Sorry Steve. There was a purchase limit of 2 per day. You can ask Andy. He might be able to get one. I’m only at pax today.

Nothing new clix wise as wizkids booth save some Disney next wave boosters that are empty

Thanks anyway! I appreciate the effort. Is Space Ghost available?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Steve Vader posted:

Thanks anyway! I appreciate the effort. Is Space Ghost available?
Ha! Funny joke.

Pegasus Cap is $30, I can try to grab one for you tomorrow if you want.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

CapnAndy posted:

Ha! Funny joke.

I'd appreciate that if you could! Thanks!

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Had a fun overall day at pax. Won 2 of the 3 BR’s I played in and got 2 rainbow supermen. Could have won the third one but my Daimon Hellstrom couldn’t roll a 3-6 on his special outwit when he needed to over 2 turns. Her 75 points would have put me in first and nabbed me a venom. Oh well.

Saw a bunch of people I hadn’t seen in a bit so that was fun. Overall I really liked the lax experience. Super mellow and laid back overall IMHO. Probably helped I went Friday but meh. I think I’ll try to go again next year.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Where does that take place? For some reason I thought it was in Canada.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

Where does that take place? For some reason I thought it was in Canada.

Pax Unplugged? It’s in Philadelphia.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Is there a Plugged PAX in Canada or Seattle or Idaho or am I just dumb?

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

Is there a Plugged PAX in Canada or Seattle or Idaho or am I just dumb?

Seattle has Pax West which is more about video games. There’s only one Pax Unplugged and that’s in Philly.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Posting to give a ringing endorsement of the guardians of the galaxy Christmas iconix. I played all of the guardians at 400 except Yondu and found them to be loving amazing.

They really need Drax though. Drax turns the damage output of that team up to 11 with his object nonsense. Without him it gets hard. Cosmo is also great with all the free supports and Groot spreading gifts was a must use for me every round.

Honestly the team is just loving fun and gets a huge stamp of approval

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Sweet. I just got it but my wife loves Groot, Christmas and Advent calendars so we are actually waiting until 12 days to xmas before opening any of them. I wonder if they are all packaged in the same order.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

CapnAndy posted:

Ha! Funny joke.

Any luck with this? If not, it's cool and I appreciate the effort anyway. Thank you!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Steve Vader posted:

Any luck with this? If not, it's cool and I appreciate the effort anyway. Thank you!
I got you one, I'll PM you.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

It's nearly time for my favorite event of the year. My store's annual year end extravaganza.

Sadly with smaller maps and such the days of the year in points and get 20 actions a turn are long gone. So my old apocalypse armies are gone and sadly may never see play again.

That said, I've changed the format to

1000 points 5 actions, at least half your team must be made up of figures released in 2023, Equipment is fine but no tarot. Also we have a houserule that you can use any figures ever made, we only enforce retirement on additional game elements so people don't play resources and poo poo forever.

If theres an odd number of players I'll do the bye, if it's even Andy or Another of my co judges can run it because I am letting my inner shitbird fly just once and I really want to play this drat team.

I'm going to run
NOT Black hand at lower value
NOT Necron Mid Dial
NOT Black Lantern Superman Lower Dial
NOT Black Lantern Aquaman Lower Dial
NOT Black Lantern Wonder Woman Lower Dial
NOT Black Lantern Batman Lower Dial
NOT Black Lantern Martian Manhunter Lower Dial
NOT Black Lantern Hal Jordan Lower Dial
NOT Lyssa Drax Legacy Card
NOT Green Arrow Lower Dial
Scott Porter (healing and community tokens one)
Flash 053B Zoom
75th Anniversary Scar

Green Ring and all constructs on Hal, Yellow Ring and all Constucts on Lyssa, Indigo Ring and all constructs on Scott. Theres a sword that gives exploit weakness from XOS I'm tossing on Zoom as well.

987 Points. I'll probably play lava terrain so Scar can get on her prob clicks as well but thats really the total extent of my plans. I just wanna play my shinies.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Half your team numerically or points cost-wise needs to be from this year?

I like the format. I wonder how big point games play on small maps these days.

I played my first game in months the other night after getting our bricks in from the WK sale and I do like that prime Cap from A60 with his double attack and super leadership/willpower that I couldn't roll at all most of the game. Looking forward to trying out a lot of these figures.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

Half your team numerically or points cost-wise needs to be from this year?

I like the format. I wonder how big point games play on small maps these days.

I played my first game in months the other night after getting our bricks in from the WK sale and I do like that prime Cap from A60 with his double attack and super leadership/willpower that I couldn't roll at all most of the game. Looking forward to trying out a lot of these figures.

Half points wise. And big games on smaller maps are most likely a clusterfuck. But clusterfucks are still fun!

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Morand posted:

Half points wise. And big games on smaller maps are most likely a clusterfuck. But clusterfucks are still fun!

"We're calling this format Charlie Foxtrot.You get a 5-point discount on any character with Charles, Charlie, or Chuck in their name. Your team must consist of at least 15 characters who start the game on the map. 1,000 points. 3 actions per turn."

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

My final shitbird update.

I told them if they stopped the event bullshit and removed their bullshit review and talked to me in a year I’d “plead their case with the owner”. I anticipate this conversation going something like “Hey shitbird wants back.” “Good joke, got another”

But at least I get a year of peace. I also messaged wizkids customer support for the win and some people I happen to personally know at wizkids. I was told that this is a first for them and it’s exposed some deficiencies in the win. They’re going to look into allowing a player to be banned on the win preventing them from signing up for any events at the store. They’ve also said they’ll look into globally banning them from the win if they start this poo poo again.

Now for clix. Anyone do a royal flush event yet? Ours is next week. 15 dollar buy in and 300 pulp is what we are doing. Is your venue doing a multi week event or one and done?

Morand fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 11, 2023

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Morand posted:

Now for clix. Anyone do a royal flush event yet? Ours is next week. 15 dollar buy in and 300 pulp is what we are doing. Is your venue doing a multi week event or one and done?

Been pulling teeth trying to get any information from my venue about when we can expect packs.

I'm going to run a four-week event series. Show up each week, get a playing card (max hand size 4). Win a game, get a card or exchange one of yours. Win an event, either draw a new table card that everyone shares, or replace the current table card. At the end of four weeks, the best poker hands get Ace.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Wizkids is advertising a paid “Fan Intern”.

If you’re interested, you can apply here.

https://wizkids.io/HeroClixFanIntern

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

We had our royal flush event. Got 7 players and everyone put in enough to pay for the entire OP kit. Store doesn't care what we do with it at that point and a 4 month OP was not something the players wanted.

So we said gently caress it and did a standard tournament, 300 Modern Age Pulp. 1st, 2nd and Fellowship getting the prizes.

I actually got to play and gave players a choice. They could face the team I brought that I would have played if I was in the tournament, or they could play against the Royal Flush Gang with Blue Marvel standing in as legacy Ace.

Overwhelmingly everyone chose to play against the gang and drat they are FUN to play. Jack is a right bastard with some help from the queen. In all 3 games I didn't lose a single piece so I never really got to see how stupid things could have gotten with the KO bonuses as King usually just gave out Spade for Ace to be beefy.

Most fun moment came in the third game, when Ace Mind Controlled a last click Harley with her 9 attack BCF 1 damage click showing which became a 13 attack since she was friendly to me once MC'd and borrowed an 11AV from Ace which then got bumped +2 thanks to Ace's power and proceeded to knife her teamate clayface in the back for 6 penetrating clicks which KO'd him and then she died from the mystics being granted by the Joker.

Edit: oops, I misread ace’s power. Missed that the target gets -2 after and not +2 during the attack. She’s still really good though.

Morand fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 22, 2023

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Is there a good place to buy Heroclix maps? Just got my PDFs for the Batman RPG, and I'm thinking about buying some old Batman related maps for future use. I remember having a lot of fun with the Wayne Manor/Batcave map back when I used to play.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Open Marriage Night posted:

Is there a good place to buy Heroclix maps? Just got my PDFs for the Batman RPG, and I'm thinking about buying some old Batman related maps for future use. I remember having a lot of fun with the Wayne Manor/Batcave map back when I used to play.

TrollandToad sells a bunch. But, please, help me get rid of some maps. I just dug up a set of 10 Gotham maps (9 double-sided) that I'll let you have for the cost of shipping once we get past holiday craziness at the post office. PM me if you're interested.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Heck yeah. The Gotham City Chronicles board game (also by Monolith) has some pretty good maps, but I could always use more.

I miss clix sometimes, but I was dogshit at it. My team building strategy was “It’d be cool if these guys teamed up”.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

That's my preferred strategy too. It's a bonus if they happen to have combos, but I just want cool teams.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Merry Christmas everyone. Pull a chase from any Christmas boosters!

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

"Friendly characters within 4 squares may count range and line of fire as if they occupied Kraglin's square."

Does that also allow friendly characters to make close attacks if they occupied Kraglin's square? Or is it just for range?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

"Friendly characters within 4 squares may count range and line of fire as if they occupied Kraglin's square."

Does that also allow friendly characters to make close attacks if they occupied Kraglin's square? Or is it just for range?
Range and line of fire, not adjacency. He’d half work for Giant Reach, since that uses line of fire but not range.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

It lets you do fun outwit/PC fuckery as well.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Morand posted:

It's nearly time for my favorite event of the year. My store's annual year end extravaganza.

Sadly with smaller maps and such the days of the year in points and get 20 actions a turn are long gone. So my old apocalypse armies are gone and sadly may never see play again.

That said, I've changed the format to

1000 points 5 actions, at least half your team must be made up of figures released in 2023, Equipment is fine but no tarot. Also we have a houserule that you can use any figures ever made, we only enforce retirement on additional game elements so people don't play resources and poo poo forever.

If theres an odd number of players I'll do the bye, if it's even Andy or Another of my co judges can run it because I am letting my inner shitbird fly just once and I really want to play this drat team.

I'm going to run
NOT Black hand at lower value
NOT Necron Mid Dial
NOT Black Lantern Superman Lower Dial
NOT Black Lantern Aquaman Lower Dial
NOT Black Lantern Wonder Woman Lower Dial
NOT Black Lantern Batman Lower Dial
NOT Black Lantern Martian Manhunter Lower Dial
NOT Black Lantern Hal Jordan Lower Dial
NOT Lyssa Drax Legacy Card
NOT Green Arrow Lower Dial
Scott Porter (healing and community tokens one)
Flash 053B Zoom
75th Anniversary Scar

Green Ring and all constructs on Hal, Yellow Ring and all Constucts on Lyssa, Indigo Ring and all constructs on Scott. Theres a sword that gives exploit weakness from XOS I'm tossing on Zoom as well. I also did buckys arm on Scar

So I ran this today and learned some things. First I’m really good at forgetting to use constructs, barely used them all day. 2 Zoom is loving awful in today’s game. He was an easy KO every round and I only got to use his speed token trick once. I also had such plans for Scar but faced so many mystics I never got a chance to really use her trait. She also sucks poo poo. I should have put a bike on her for move and attack. I cannot list teams because there was so much so apologies if my recaps are a little vague.

That said, still managed to go 3-0 with the team.

Round 1 went against a Royal Flush Gang team with a bunch of random stuff from Gotham and the suicide squad. Everyone was a mystic because of Joker so the majority of the time I had to use my steal energy to not take mystics. A top dial black lantern Superman is nothing to sneeze at though, and he deleted anything he hit and I only lost Batman and Zoom.

Round 2 against Andy’s squad of a bunch of con exclusives.

The joker who can move terrain is a pretty good counter to most of the black lanterns tricks and I got hurt for it. First blood went to the lanterns though with Superman doing 7 to Captain America on the Pegasus and then green arrow finishing him off. I lost superman even though he was top dial with joker moving around the terrain and the Hawkeye duo psyblasting twice. Lost Batman to the same tricks. I then announced that joker had a giant pulsing target on him and Andy ran him way back. Nekron is a giant and does not care and proceeded to hit joker with knockback to hit the edge of the map and get KO’d. Once my terrain was set that let me heal up a few pieces to their scarier top dials like Hal and Manhunter. Manhunter corrupted Wonder Woman and even crit so she couldn’t roll senses which was fun. She fell to a ranged shot after that from arrow. Space Ghost was also KO’d and the Hawkeye duo giving me a solid win. Zoom also died but I forget how because he sucks poo poo.

Round 3 versus mystics

The crux of this team was Chthon and Blackheart. Big guy would RS carrying Blackheart and then Blackheart would immediately port him back to starting area. He tried to gank my porter, made the senses roll and then he hid on a grave. Tried to gank zoom. Zoom has just enough clicks to not be oneshot. I eventually picked off a werewolf here and there and dropped graves till he had to come for me with the rest of his team. Once he did I got his 200 point Zadkiel with a one two shot of Nekron and then Superman. Lost Wonder Woman to capwolf and zoom to something as he shot out my grave marker then unloaded. Zoom was such a waste. Only made an attack game 1. Every other game he just died immediately. Hal ran up and did a big pulse wave to do a bunch of damage and give Chthon a second token he couldn’t heal easily. I lost Lyssa when she had to move up to perplex down Chthons defense and green arrow to a last action shot from the big guy but won on points due to the Zadkiel ko.

If I had to do this team again I’d drop zoom and scar. Maybe I’d do more generic monsters or other black lanterns but that were so bad there’s got to be something better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Oh, I forgot that I never posted about the 2023 end of year blowout. Due to me having all the con exclusives (I volunteered at PAX Unplugged), I decided to do 2023: A Year In Con Exclusives, and it turns out you can make 1000 points even out of con exclusives released in 2023!

Capasus
Hawkeye & Hawkeye
The Watcher
Venom, God of Symbiotes (with red symbiote)
Space Ghost
Rainbow Superman
The Joker
Diana Prince Wonder Woman (with motorcycle for free due to her trait, on click 1 to give her +2 to speed and super senses)

Round 1 was against a Black Lantern and Doomsday team that never left its starting area for some reason, allowing me to leisurely move into range and start picking off pieces. When I got close, Doomsday came out and squashed Space Ghost, but I killed Doomsday in one turn in retaliation, by using Capasus to get past his first two STOP clicks and finishing him off with a double-tap from the Hawkeyes. Round 2 was against morand's actually competently played Black Lanterns. Round 3 was against an Arkham Asylum swarm using Joker's obnoxious bullshit to give them all mystics... but I had three attackers with Invincible, so I just used them to beat everybody up.

Ended up coming in second, so pretty good. Venom, God of Symbiotes is an absolutely terrifying motherfucker. He can hang back for two turns, sending Symbiote bystanders out in his place, and then on turn 3 he generates his third symbiote, swaps places with whoever he needs to, charges, and whacks somebody, which generates his fourth symbiote and now he's got +4 to his imperv rolls and can reduce penetrating damage, so ha ha, gently caress you. Nobody ever managed to lay a glove on him.