Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So I've been thinking about jumping into heroclix with my kids and finally ordered the justice league starter set today. If things go well, what sets or packs should I follow it up with? I haven't played clix since heroclix first came out, and I preferred Mechwarrior back then haha.

I was wanting to start a game that my 6 and 8 year old could enjoy as much as I do and have us starting on the same-ish level and learn together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I'd love to play online! How do you play with Roll20 though? Are there fan addons or something like TTS?

My JLU starter gets here tomorrow and if my kids enjoy it I'll go in on a wonderwoman starter and some boosters at least. I'm excited to be jumping it though!

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Morand posted:

It requires nothing except internet.

You want in on the tournament we are doing? It's all virtual and only one game a week so low pressure. Just make a 300 point team and you can have the first round bye. We might be able to get you into this round to observe as well so you can see roll 20.

Just let me know

I'd love to join in haha, sorry for the late response, I've had a busy few days. I still have very little idea how to play, but I did see that the JLU starter comes out to 300 points!

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Morand posted:

Are you on Discord? If you are Andy can invite you to it. We don't use it a ton but it can be a place for you to talk about playing in this event if you want

Sure do! Elblanco #5806

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Well I'm more excited for this set!

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
That sounds like a ton of fun, I'm in! Should I build using pieces I actually own? Or does it not matter?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Well I hope this works out, wanted to make a theme team as well and needed to make sure my sidekicks had some decent support as well.

Amazon Warrior X5
WW80 Batman 40pts
Nubia 40pts
Hippolyta
Wonder Woman, Princess of Themyscira
Grail 75pts
Sword of Athena

395 amazon theme

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Torrent posted:

Note that if Wonder Woman is starting with the sword equipped, you don't actually have to pay points for it. Due to her trait, at the start of each game she just gets to say 'this is the equipment I have this time'. Paying points for the sword means that you'll be placing it on the map so that someone else can pick it up.

Oh awesome! I didn't know that, I'll just add another item in there to fill out the points a bit and try out item rules a bit.

Amazon Warrior X5
WW80 Batman 40pts
Nubia 40pts
Hippolyta
Wonder Woman, Princess of Themyscira
Grail 75pts
Sword of Athena
Golden Armor

395 amazon theme

I hope this ends up working out ok.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
There's plenty of fun to go around! Besides it tastes great! Tastes like superheroes and rear end kickings!

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
A little strapped for cash after a move but I was able to get a single WW80 pack, got lucky and pulled a SR Ares though! Not sure what I'd use him with, but outside of his gimmick, he hits like a loving truck, so I really want to try him out at some point.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Oh hell yea I'll take DOOM! And the latverians

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I think I have an idea that will actually work and should have a team down sometime today. My first few ideas were either bad themes or bad execution, also 600 points is way more than I've played so far haha.

Edit: Ok so I nailed down a list that I'm not sure will work as a unit too well, but it feels like it fits my theme and will be fun to play at least.

So I wanted to do a version of Norman Osborn's avengers/thunderbolts team but for the justice league while still using marvel villains, or at least people who have been villains

Superman: God Emperor Doom @ 100pts

Batman: abpi061 Taskmaster @ 100pts

Wonder Woman: abpi034 Proxima Midnight @ 100pts

The Flash: wkMP20-101 Quicksilver @75pts

Green Lantern: Red Goblin/pumpkin bombs @50pts

Aquaman: caav069 Namor @75pts

Cyborg: caav074 Ultron @100pts

I call it, "We're totally the Justice League, trust us!"

Elblanco fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 8, 2021

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So my only real experience with collectible games is with TCGs, how does heroclix handle "spoiler season" before a new set? I came in with WW80 pretty much totally spoiled, but is it always dropped all at once? or is it a slow trickle like other games? I did play dicemasters and it was pretty standard for spoilers.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
WW battlegrounds also has 2 cards for each character, one for teaching and one intended for normal games.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I couldn't roll well to save my life that game. I also knew things were going wrong when Shade dragged half your team into the middle of my team, all of whom had pushed the previous turn.

Either way I had a blast, it was still a fun game.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Yea, I'm only starting out and I'm already over avengers sets haha. Xmen I'm still cool with though, I'd also like more DC sets in general.

E: why do I keep getting snypes?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Sell that sucks, guess I better read some marvel books again. Reminds me of when I played dice masters and found the huge hardback omnibus of avengers vs xmen at my local library. Except I owe a bunch of money to my library and the only comic shop I knew of near me, went under a few years ago.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Well, looks like I get to do my first write up!

Maniac and I rolled off, and I actually won map choice, and panicked because I never win map and hadn't thought of what to pick yet. I picked the ROC campground map in hopes that I could slow down ghost rider some. Then Maniac informed me that he would have picked the same map! We set up and the not so justice league advanced, taking defensive position behind some really tough looking bushes. Maniac advanced, grabbing the nightbringer ring with hydro-man and a magic crowbar with ghost rider. On my turn, proxima midnight tried to pin down ghost rider with a spear, and missed entirely, everyone else kinda milled around trying to stay out of sight of guns and motorcycles. Maniac responded by covering proxima in poison smoke and shooting her full of holes, leaving her on her last click. I then tried to get some damage on the board by positioning red goblin to charge hydro-man, and have god emperor doom shoot some lasers. Quicksilver then zipped back and tried to punch doctor nemesis and clock king, only getting the king for 3 clicks, and getting stuck in melee. Maniac brought down proxima with some more poison after that, and preceded to have ghost rider pop out and run down doom! Wonder woman also brought hydro-man out of harms way, moving towards quicksilver on the bottom half of the board. Doom was not very fond of being run over, so he turned and punched ghost rider for a whopping 4 clicks and healed up 1 himself. Red goblin finally had a chance to shine and charged ghost rider, finishing him off and triggering his damage power for the first time this tournament! After being dragged up closer the previous turn, task master used this opportunity to charge from behind a bush and finish hit doctor nemesis pretty hard, with namor finishing him off right after. Maniac wasn't taking that lying down, and after wonder woman and hydro-man brought quicksilver down to his last click, clock king finished him off with a blades roll of 6! Time was called shortly after.

Final score was Me: 215, Maniac: 175

That was a really fun game, though my game with Morand scared me out of being too aggressive, so I probably played a bit too defensively in the early game.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
OK sorry for the wait, here's my team. This time the real justice league with some help from a fre Dr fates. I've wanted to see how the full starter set team would run with a little help.

My Team:
Team Points: 395. Remaining 5/400
Shared Keywords Are: Justice League

JLU004 Dr. Fate 65
JLU102E The Flash 60
JLU103E Batman 60
JLU105E Superman 60
JLU101E Wonder Woman 40
JLU104E Green Lantern 40
JLU106E Martian Manhunter 40
JLU004E Dr. Fate 10
JLU004E Dr. Fate 10
JLU004E Dr. Fate 10

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Maniac and I finally got our game in, and it was pretty drat fun, if you enjoyed us using all our theme probs early and then whiffing a ton of late game rolls. The Sinister Six and the Justice league had a pretty good fight though.

I won the map roll and picked keystone city I think it was called. I realized it was more open then I thought once the map was set up. I tried to take my typical defensive approach when going first, but was not prepared for the sinister 6(7) to hop into a magic motorcycle and come stop right in my face. Luckily they were carried, so I didn't screw up too bad, Flash could have tried harder to hit with everywhere at once. Maniac swung back on his turn and took out a Dr Fate clone and kinda wedged himself well in the way of my team getting much of anywhere. I then had Superman and Wonder Woman try and beat up Tombstone and the whiff-fest began! We were moving all around trying to take out pretty much anything on either side, I got lucky and took out Venom, which turned out to be a bad idea as it buffed the rest of the now properly named sinister six, I also lost The Flash around the same time. Trapster then started toss Elmer's Glue token everywhere to keep Superman, Wonder Woman and Martian Manhunter stuck! I then decided that my one chance to stay in the game was to put everything I could into Tombstone, his defensive powers were just too annoying. So after most of my team put in 5 attacks, including a double enhanced Dr Fate, Tomestone fell. Maniac Tried to swing around with Toxin, Vulture and Electro to get Green Lantern, but a few bad rolls left him standing. With 20 seconds on the clock I had Green Lantern swing right back and we added one last whiffed roll to the game. It was a really close game, our defenses were both just a little too good it seemed, though overall a pretty fun game!

Elblanco: 140
Maniac: 70

I was literally 5 points down until I took out tombstone, I had to scramble to get any points haha.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Steve Vader posted:

I'm a sucker for old school, so I'd vote for trying to make WOL work again.

I love the look of the WOL pieces, it's all so neat, though that might also be colored by my time playing dicemasters, the WOL set was amazing there.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

ManiacClown posted:

How long did Dicemasters last, anyway?

Still going from what I know, I even heard they were going to make booster sets again.

It really was a fun game, I fell off it well before it died so I'm not entirely sure what happened.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Jesus, $2 price hike is rough. I haven't bought any product for a while and this might keep me out of it for a while longer. Ooofff.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I'm pretty sure he drew a dick in part of the theme name, that and there's a silver surfer on his team for 300?

Are you sure he didn't write in some sort of secret code?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I remember sportsclix from a trip to Disneyland, our hotel had crane game full of them so my brother and I got a bunch and tried to play. I thought I imagined that game haha.

As for shameful heroclix, it would probably just not having a place to play or not buying more heroclix!

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

War of Realms unboxings have started. Set looks pretty solid to me.

HCR is whining (what else is new) because nobody has super strength or pulse wave, which... why? One of those powers does literally nothing and the other is useless since the WW nerf.

I don't understand why people are so mad about that, were the benched powers really so integral to the game?

I think the set looks pretty neat so far, and I'm excited to grab a brick or a case when it drops. Planning on playing more at home this year and buy a bunch of bricks to do sealed with the family, maybe hit up some pre-releases if anywhere near me does one too.

Also it is weird that there's 2 different JLU traits here, the thor one works well for her imo.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Due to a weird set of circumstances I actually get to go to a wotr pre release tomorrow! Anyone have some basic tips for sealed? Haven't gotten to play that format yet.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

WoR sealed or sealed in general?

Both I guess, I've been following wor spoilers but I'm still not great at evaluating pieces, my current plan if to hope I pull a chase haha.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Ok so I just got back a little bit ago and I had a blast. I took my 9 year old son with me and we had only 4 people playing total. As he usually does my son pulled a Sr, crusader and I helped him put together an avengers team of crusader, Hercules and miles morales Spider-Man. I ended up with rare valkyrie and Jane foster Thor and played them with helmet Spiderman and Lady sif for asgardian theme for the prob.

I tabled my first opponent but had a hard time with blade and his rally die constantly reviving him since I kept rolling 6s. I didn't lose anyone though so I felt good about my team.

I got creamed in round two by the chase rocket and shifting focus rare Thor, failed some charge attacks and watched my Thor get demolished in one turn. Fun game but a rough one for me.

Last round was against my son and about halfway through chewing through so many clix and super senses and impervious I realized that I had inflicted it all on myself... I somehow pulled out a win with valkyrie being my last figure on her last click taking out crusader.

We got like 4 ff slop legacy cards and my son pulled Thanos, which someone traded us emperor Vulcan and the sabretooth from rise and fall for, figured it was fine since I don't have any old figures. I also won a roll off for the runner up prize and walked away with the ff slop doom! Really excited about that since he's like the only thing I wanted from that kit.

I was also able to get a couple more packs before I left for my wife and daughter since they stayed home, my daughter pulled malekith, kids have all the luck here.

Overall a great time and I might be able to do it again next week!

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Is that coming before or after the batman team up set? That set looks nuts!

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
X of swords is supposed to drop the week of August 3rd with pre releases the week before. At least that's what I remember fron the Scott porter unboxing.

Also I recently read x of swords by grabbing it from my local library, it's a good read, high recommend.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Soon we'll be able to answer the age old question of how the Scooby-Doo gang will hold up against sentinels.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Calling it now, venom mags will drop in price because of scrappy

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Morand posted:

We have no issues teaching, last time we had a newbie too in Elblanco

I had a great time too! I lost a lot but also learned a lot too. Sadly I'm not sure I have the time to play this time.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
What on earth do they get out of playing this way?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So I just learned that most of my collection is about to rotate out, as apposed to having already been gone like I thought. I could have been going to local events for months now! So I'm going to try and get out there the next few weeks, aiming for modern events, then going to silver and golden age events just to be able to play.

I've got 4 teams made already too, outside of no more theme prob, is there anything else big that they changed about team building, I'm having trouble finding anything.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I ended up being able to play tonight, my first event in like a year and a half! 500 modern, focusing mostly on stuff that's about to rotate. I took:

Rise and fall PAH kit Deadpool
Empyre PAH kit Wolverine at 100pts
War of the Realms SR Crusader
Empyre SR Captain America at 100pts
FF Slop Dr Doom

The team ended up being way nastier than I originally thought, I knew they were good figures, but holy poo poo. Wolverine and Crusader mostly fought back to back and nearly took out a Hulking in a single turn in the second round. Doom was super fun too, I've had him for a while and this was the first time I've really gotten to use him. When I remembered to get a die it was usually a 5, and having an auto success for super senses was great to have. Deadpool was also great and it helped a lot that I was lucky enough to roll healing for his goodie bags every round.

I didn't take notes and I don't know most of the figures that I played against, but I'll recap the best I can.

Round 1: vs Xmen
Here I was up against a team twice the size of mine, so I was immediately nervous. My opponent also nearly killed Wolverine on turn 1, so that didn't help. A few turns with some lucky rolls and a goodie bag had him back at full clix though. turn 3 or 4 is where I turned things around and KO'd 4 of his figures, which were all of his melee threats, in one turn. A few turns cleaning up the support and couple ranged dudes and the games was over. What helped the most here was that my opponent rolled pretty poorly most of the game, even rolling 4 crit fails.

WIN

I had set out to win one game tonight and I felt good getting it in round 1, things would not go so well for me from here.

Round 2: Skrulls
This game I knew was going to be rough, cause I could tell from the sculpts I was facing down a few SR figures and such. I also heard during round one that the team was built around having shape change on everything. I approached cautiously but on turn two decided, gently caress it, and charged his Hulkling with Wolverine and Crusader, coming one missed attack from KO'ing him. From there the whole game was a blood bath, with me slowly but surely losing everything, but not going down without a fight. I think I took out about half his team before the game ended.

LOSS

Round 3: Fantastic Four
When we sat down to play, my opponent asked a bunch of questions about my team, to get an idea of what was going on, and I obliged since I didn't want to be a poor sport. Luckily for me he explained his own team right after, and I knew I was in for another tough match. Half his points were in the captain universe Sue Storm, which I had considered taking myself. He also had a title character Reed Richards that wanted to get onto my side of the board. I knew right away who my first target was. He didn't like my typical strategy of deploying Cap off to the side, being my only ranged character, and sent most of his team after Cap, almost taking him out on his turn one. Things got real swingy for a bit, with us both getting some good KO's in, the entire game came down to Human Torch and Sue kiting Crusader and Wolverine for a while. I ended up never being able to touch Sue but got the other HALF of his points, it was nuts.

LOSS

Overall it was a blast, I haven't been able to get out to a game night for a long time and it was nice to finally play again. I ended up with a batman team up legacy pack as well, I was hoping for batman beyond, since it's a figure I actual own, but I ended up with atrocitus, so I got to see if I can track down the figure for that somewhere. My first round opponent also gave me a rare dr strange from beyond amazing to help me build my collection back up, he looks pretty neat so I'm going to try him out soon. I also got like 4 maps at the new map size too!

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Steve Vader posted:

Unfortunately I was not able to make the game, but I'm told a Marvel Knights team won, beating a TMNT team.

And there is a Captain Universe Sue Storm? How did I miss that?

She was one of the figures you could get in the fantastic four story line play at home kit. She's really cool.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Aren't the sinister six like really dependent on order of operations? I feel like they're not a good choice for a new player, and like not meta anymore either haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Got to play some good ol sealed last night! Though I'm sick and couldn't stay the whole time, i was getting my rear end kicked the two rounds I did play though. My dice were NOT cooperating with me.

I ended up pulling SR injustice Wonder Woman and SR Golden glider, as well as the rare ra's and killer croc. Only got one classic G.O.O.N, which kinda sucks. I loved playing the two SRs though, was able to get some really good alpha strikes with the two of them. I just couldn't hit any attacks to save my life!

We also had a couple BL chases opened and a prime talon too, so everyone got a little something. Other than getting sick it was a fun time!