Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Sanschel posted:

Sunday is my first game judging with the new rules and I've barely had the free time to study them so that's gonna be a fun experience.

It's a challenge. Just bring the PAC and rulebook, and don't assume that you know the answer to anything, as the oddest things have changed. I made so many incorrect assumptions during our sealed, last night...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
I've got a question for CapnAndy, and anyone else who likes to play in the casual side events at conventions:

What would you think if we limited the builds for those to commons, uncommons, and rares? The idea for the side events is to provide a fun alternative to the high-meta environment of World's, but we still get people bringing heavy cheese. Would such a limitation impact your desire to play in those events?

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Red posted:

To add to the OP, what if we voted on the top 10 most meta pieces?

Hmm... under the assumption that SHIELD and Superman/Wonder Woman will be retired before Worlds next year, I guess my list would be:

EW 049 Green Arrow - replacing Nick Fury as the top of the heap for ID call-ins, and not too shabby on a force, Ollie does such a good job of taking down tentpole figures that not many people are going to rely on them.

JW 066 Bizarro Green Arrow - appropriately, the best counter to Green Arrow. His usefulness took a bit of a hit with the new rules, but he's still one of the best bodyguards out there.

Boxing Ring - special terrain is going to be huge, as there's no better form of map control, and the boxing ring is the best of the three pieces we have so far. Clear out blocking terrain, create a relatively safe space for your close combat figures, and force the game to be played your way.

WI 040 Goblin King and JW 053b Jakeem Thunder - they both fill much the same role, as pick-a-power centerpieces, whose sheer adaptability make them a nightmare to deal with. Between new Outwit changes and the last possession figures (and possibly the Supreme Intelligence) retiring, their menace is lessened, but far from gone.

TMT s009 Mjolnir - this thing is going to have loads of strategies built around it. Being able to make close attacks against targets within range really changes the dynamic of a lot of pieces. Mistress Death is the obvious one, but people are going to get creative here.

TMNT3 Shredders - doesn't really matter which one or ones (my preferences are the Clone and Mini), since what makes these guys dangerous is that shared trait. Penetrating damage that you don't have to roll for, that you can trigger multiple times per turn, is a glorious and dangerous thing. These guys are the number one enemy of colossal retaliators.

TMT g006 Mangog - speaking of which, this guy is just insane. Going to see a ton of him on his colossal retaliation line, as just the threat of him getting to pull the Odinsword and explode into a 150-point monster for your 30-point investment is enough to shape a game.

UND 017 Jacob Marley - kind of iffy on this one, but I see real potential here. Giving -2 attack, with a chance of dealing penetrating damage is pretty dang sweet for 35 points... he's like a diet Shredder.

TMT 058 Uni-Mind - while it's a rough environment out there for tentpoles, the Uni-Mind is in a class by itself. We probably won't see one winning Worlds, but it's going to certainly give some teams a run for their money.

That's ten, but honorable mention goes out to TMNT3 028 Leonardo. Super-solid ranged attacker, and his anti-equipment trait really raised his status with the release of Mighty Thor. I think he'll end up throwing some teams for a loop.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Morand posted:

Trinity War Batman actually doesn't have the Detective Keyword. And you really think Lt. Gordon isn't worth it? Guaranteed extra action with new leadership rules and added mobility.

Yeah, that Gordon is absolutely worth it. Have a friend who does nightmarish things with that guy.

If mobility is a big concern, you could consider a Great Eagle. Carry 4 people, doesn't break theme, is a decent tertiary attacker. Or the Sentinel horde tokens, 15-point giants for some cheap-ish taxis.

On the detective side, don't overlook Elongated Man from the Flash set. He won't do much to help against the Uni-Mind, but 2-square Plasticity on a Stealth guy is a bitch to deal with, and he has an Outwit that sees through a lot of stuff.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

CapnAndy posted:

Mighty Thor does, I'm not sure about Harley.

Harley is a fast forces, so it shouldn't. Right now, the only option is Mighty Thor, but the upcoming Star Trek set is also a starter.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Bizarro format is always one of my favorites, but it's gotten to the point where it's so easy to abuse with last-click-only special powers that I don't run it any more. Back in the day, some of my favorites to run with it were the CD Man of Steel, with his 19 Defend on the last click, backing up CD Orion (12 attack/4 damage) or E. Legacy Joker (12/4 with Outwit).

Best thing that I ever saw out of the format was the last time that we ran it at Gen-Con. Someone cheesed it up by running three Bruce Banner alter ego figures from the Hulk set, with three Outback Hulks to turn into (the one with the defense power that only lets them take damage from doubles). Turn one, they all AE'd into the Hulks. Turn two, all three moved up. Turn three, an opposing Hawkeye triple-targeted all three Hulks, landed a critical hit, and KO'd all of them.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
We had our auction sealed event for Harley this past weekend. Eight people meant that we went through two bricks of Harley, plus some miscellaneous stuff. Everybody gets a bidding pool of $5, and we open the boosters up one by one, and bid on first pick from the booster, then second pick, and so on until everything is gone. Chases and primes go into the prize pool, and teams are built from what you bought. Leftover money can be spent as PCs for 25 cents each.

I went in wanting to buy up all the Secret Six that I could, and hedged bets by picking up Furies and various utility pieces. Dropped a lot of my bidding pool on Giganta, and then halfway through the second brick, we got a Secret Six booster... King Shark, Jeanette, Scandal, Knockout and Catman. Spent most of the rest of my money on King Shark and Scandal, and then made a big mistake in thinking that I already had six of them, and let the rest of the booster pass... turns out I only had five, and no others showed up.

So, I ended up having to run King Shark and Giganta on their little dials, Scandal, Catman, Knockout, and oldschool Red Tornado. Losing out on a theme hurt, but Tornado's 18 Defend on top of the Six bonus had most everybody sitting at a solid 19 defense.

Round one put me up against a mish-mash built around tons of Perplexers - Duchess, non-Bombshell Catwoman, two Big Tonys, Bud, vampire Batgirl, and the Lois Lane from BvS. This was a rough game, with all the Perplexes, and the map we were on not allowing for full Stealth coverage, which made Tornado's Defend a target for Duchess's Energy Explosions. Dice started out cold, with me whiffing fives and sixes, which made the game a rough back and forth. We went to time, and I took it by points, but I don't know which way it would've gone if it had played out.

Also in round one, luck of the draw put the two teams fronted by Hypersonic beat-sticks up against each other - Red & Black Lantern Harley up against Bombshell Supergirl. Supergirl took it, luckily knocking that Harley out of the top brackets, but that meant I had to deal with Supergirl. Round two was a Bombshell team, with Supergirl on her low dial, Stargirl, Poison Ivy, and Catwoman. Lost the map roll, and ended up on the new Harley's Apartment map, with lots of elevated to slow down my team of walkers. My Stealth wasn't going to be of any use against Supergirl, and between his three themes and remaining 5 quarter rerolls, I knew that I was going to be losing the Tornado on turn two, so I just extended up as far as I could. Sure enough, Supergirl zipped up and took poor old Ma Hunkle out immediately, and then fell back onto the rooftop with her support crew. Losing the +1 to combat values meant Catman and Knockout were just short of being able to Charge in, but I moved everybody up onto the roof that I could, and then had Giganta go colossal to swing at Supergirl. Needed 8s, but my dice went hot. Burned through all three themes and a quarter before I finally missed. He had to clear, which gave me a chance to take out Catwoman with Catman and the Shark - couldn't afford having her Outwit around, and couldn't get to Supergirl. Giganta went colossal for another couple swings on Supergirl, burning through the other 4 rerolls, but didn't tag her. Next turn, Supergirl deleted Giganta, landed next to Scandal, and took her out with a free Bombshell attack (we had both forgotten that they needed 2 action tokens to activate those). Missed a couple more attacks on her, but then she went for a Hypersonic break away and failed the roll, which was where the game turned. Catman ran in and stuck her with a Blades for 6, Knockout followed up to put her to her last click, and then Supergirl crit missed herself to death. Then little Ivy and Stargirl managed to tank the remaining Secret Six members for about twenty minutes while everybody flailed around without accomplishing everything, but I finally put them in the ground. Had no business winning that round, and it all came down to that one failed break away roll.

Round three was very simple, in comparison. Common Batman, Enchantress, Scarecrow and Civil War common Captain America. Won map roll and went to Wakanda for the heavy hindering. After I advanced for a bit, he realized that he wouldn't be able to do anything against all my Stealth, so fell back into his starting area. But, well, I had a secret weapon. Giganta ran out, went colossal to take a swing, and then Ma Hunkle rang the dinner bell to call her back. He realized that I could just keep playing hit-and-run if he stayed in his starting area, so he went all-in, and moved everybody up to base me. And, well, if that's your strategy against the Secret Six, you're going to get cut down pretty quickly. Didn't come close to losing anyone, that time. It was kind of funny; if I hadn't messed up in the auction stage and had a full Secret Six, I might've been in some trouble that game. Red Tornado won it for me with that special damage power.

3-0 was enough to get me the victory, and we'd pulled Flash, God of Death, which made for a pretty kick-rear end prize. If you can get the turnout for it, and can afford a tournament going a couple hours longer than usual, I really suggest trying an auction sealed. It's great fun.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
It helps to not get entirely married to the idea of getting the alpha strike off. If you have two players just waiting for the other to wander into attack range, that doesn't make for a very exciting game. Often, it is better to ask 'who can I afford them attacking' or 'who do I most need to protect' rather than 'how do I get the first attack'. Look no further than thebardyspoon's story about blizting out there with Granny and the Furies. Oftentimes, being able to lure an opponent into overextending with their main attackers to pick off an expendable piece is more useful than getting that first hit in. Similarly, don't strand your big gun all alone just in search of a quick hit.

So, as Red says, use the terrain as much as possible to hedge off attacks. If you've got Stealth characters, plop them in hindering and hide everybody else behind them. If not, it can be a calculation... do you think your big guns are hard enough to hit or hurt that you want them up front, or do you have someone expendable enough to hide behind? Many 'Clix players are terrible at recognizing bait.

Particularly on the early turns, you really want action tokens on as few characters as possible. Carry whenever you can, Sidestep when you can, and ease your way into position. Some games will be decided on an early roll, but most will not, so try to keep the important hitters clear and fresh for when they're needed.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Another question: is push damage the very last thing that happens at the end of a turn? If I'm using the Punisher from the fast forces pack, he has an ability that says if he damaged an enemy unit this turn, after all actions resolve, heal him 1 click. If he uses running shot and gets a 2nd action counter, does that healing happen after he takes push damage, or before?

Pushing damage happens 'after actions resolve,' as do several other effects (notably, taking damage from the Mystics team ability, healing from Steal Energy, and, yes, Punisher's healing). When effects happen simultaneously, the active player (in this case, you, since it's your turn) gets to choose the order that they resolve in. So you can choose that he takes the pushing damage and then heals, if you want to.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Here's the applicable section from the rulebook. No idea if this has been errata'd since then...

quote:

When a character receives a second action token for any reason (often because it has been given an action on two consecutive turns), it becomes “pushed”. When a character becomes pushed, immediately after resolutions it is dealt one pushing damage.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Morand posted:

Any thoughts on how to deal with Asgardians? Map choice doesn't gently caress them over. Placement is in their favor with BRB. I'm a bit stuck.

Having just waged a very similar battle last week, map choice can still be helpful. Gjallerbru, from the Mighty Thor fast forces, is split up enough that you can force Bill to be within range, unless you're both just going to play Hypersonic tag all day. Or, if you want to go old school, Muspelheim doesn't have enough non-lava squares to both move out and surround Bill, so there will be plenty of targets to still attack.

Silly ID Card rules say that if you call in someone within 4 squares of Bill, they can draw lines of fire to him, since being called in is the beginning of THEIR turn. So you could TK someone out with Ion Flash, call in Nick, turn off Bill's storm power, and then bring the murder.

If you have Luthor, God of Apokalips, maybe go with him. His PsyBlast and then TK-into-a-killbox power is a good deterrent to turtling.

Could switch up the Utility Belt for a Book of the Skull, then have someone base Bill's cluster, drop a hammer on that person and use the free Quake to knock people away from Bill. Bonus points for using Stompa and having the free Quake activate her free Quake.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Our usual tournament got canceled today, and with lower-than-average turnout expected, I decided to run a Royal Rumble scenario that I'd been kicking around.

600 points, no figures over 150, must have 6 figures. No figures were considered friendly, even if they were controlled by the same person.

We ended up with 5 players, which got us the perfect 30-competitor field. I wanted to keep participants and entry order a secret until someone entered, so everybody wrote down their 6 figures and then drew numbers for their entry order. Everything took place inside the ring of the Sporting Arena map, of course. Figures acted in order of entry, highest number first, and once everybody had a chance to act, the next figure entered, being placed adjacent to the ropes. Eliminations happened on KO, or if your knock back would take you over the ropes and you rolled under your click number on 2d6.

This thing was a freaking blast. A Dire Wraith Queen ruled the early part of the match, entering at number 6 and KOing Spider-Man, Hogun and a Hulk to gain a slew of extra powers. She was the ironman, lasting into the twenties before finally being eliminated. Dr. Stark and Peace Machine both earned a lot of ire for their abilities that nerfed the whole ring, but the true Andre spot fell to Black Lantern Flash, who saw an alliance of five other figures form to eliminate him. Seven(?!) failed Hypersonic break-away rolls did him no favors, and he eventually got taken out by the alliance. Another highlight was the M-113 Creature getting the Bushwacker spot, entering the ring and immediately getting Quaked by Hulkpool, rolling a 2 on his check to stay in the ring, and tumbling over the top rope in seconds. In the end, it comes as no surprise that Skurge, he who stood alone on the top rope and faced down twenty-nine other competitors, had the last laugh.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Steve Vader posted:

That's pretty awesome. Although I wonder - what was Skurge's entry number? And how would it be handled if someone ended up with only their figs in the ring at any given time?

Skurge showed up at #20, I believe, and immediately dropped his Last Stand. He drew a lot of focus early, but then people saw all the healing that Flash, God of Death was doing, and that took the heat off from him. He was down to click 5 or 6, by the end, but nobody could survive adjacent to him for long, and there wasn't a whole lot of ranged options available, with the ring so full.

Only time that all the figures in the ring were controlled by the same person was for the final 2, when Skurge duked it out with Odin. If it had happened earlier, well, even though the Rumble is everyone for themselves, strange alliances do crop up. Nobody was obligated to attack their own guys, but it did happen a couple times with Quake or Poison, and the Dire Wraith Queen was considering killing an allied Dale Suderman to gain his powers.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Morand posted:

Anyone do a pre release of Xavier yet? Curious how the set plays

I was supposed to run ours tonight, but Alliance didn't bother shipping our product. Had a lot of unhappy players, and we had to reschedule for next week.

On the plus side, our store bought us all free pizza to apologize, because our store rocks. And, since not many people had brought figures, we did a Grab Box Battle.

If your store is anything like ours, you've got a big box of extras that anybody can just take. For a Grab Box Battle, we kind of do it up game show style. Set up a snake draft order, and then each player has 45 seconds per point category to find a figure in the 150+, 101-150, 51-100 and 1-50 point ranges. The four figures that you grab are your team, but at the end of each round, the loser gets to choose one of those point categories and trade that figure with their opponent.

First round, I did pretty well with Black Orchid, Dark Deadpool, Owlman and Kalibak. My opponent was happy with his team, so when I beat him he traded his Dark Deadpool for mine. Round two looked scary, against three Hypersonic figures, headed up with Dark World Kurse, but dice went my way and I didn't lose anyone... but when it was over, my opponent traded his Max Mercury for my Owlman, which is NOT a good exchange. Lacking Owlman, I got stomped in the final round by a squad of three Avengers and Major Force.

A disappointing night, but my players made the best of it, and hopefully we'll have our X-Men here in time for some battle royales on Saturday.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Did Battle Royales with Xavier's School today. It's an interesting set for them... kind of slow-going, since you have to constantly be double-checking to see which characters get bonuses when rolling 5s, or attacking first, or whatever. Had enough product to play a couple and still have enough for our proper tournament on Thursday.

First time out, I ran with Penance, Skin, Goldballs, rare Magick, and an X-Student on the Support line. Only truly impressive thing that got pulled was a chase Mr. Sinister, although we did pull two ID cards. After some quick jockeying for position, the battle was well and truly joined. Skin proved to be quite useful, with his 2-square Plasticity providing excellent board control against most figures, although Sinister could teleport out of it, and Icarus's IM: Characters while Charging made him sad. Goldballs put in a surprising amount of work, pumping out damage, giving attack and defense penalties, and destroying walls while the Student kept him healed up. Pretty much just a slobberknocker with no real surprising happenings. I took first, and was able to walk away with Sinister and both ID cards.

At another table, it was learned that Dust pretty much dominates in a battle royale environment. She picked up something like 6 KOs by herself, without having to roll dice.

Second one that I got to play in, I ended up with All-New Wolverine, Synch, Moira MacTaggart, uncommon Iceman, and Anole. Laura (and more specifically, Jonathan) was just a terror. Right off the bat, she ran out, dropped Jonathan, who gutted SR Emma in one shot. The pair of them would go on to just shred whoever they looked at, without ever taking a click. With Synch being able to copy Perplex, I had three available, plus Iceman handing out +1 defense if he hit, and an Outwit from Moira, this was pretty much a cakewalk. Highlight of the game had to be common Beast running up to punch Synch, dropping two 5s for +2 damage, and taking him from top-dial to dead in one shot. Even a crit wouldn't have done that, only a pair of 5s.

Overall pulls were pretty good. Out of 16 boosters, we saw 6 super rares, 2 chases, a prime, and 3 ID cards (all students).

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Morand posted:

I have an event Sunday. "Do you have that in my size?" 500 points, must have a figure who is tiny, giant, or colossal. Judge clarified that it doesn't need to be on the base and can be acquired via Special Power.

What are some fun tiny/giant/colossal pieces you've run? I thought about doing my Bat-Knights and KC batman but that leaves a 50 point hole I can't fill with KC Bat Fams.

I've found that DKR Batman works much better with Bat Knights than KC Batman does. It's less thematic, but still fits the 'armored future Batman' role. Toss Mjolnir on him, and he's doing close attacks from 6 away while being triple-Empowered by the knights.

As for size shenanigans, there's a lot of good stuff out there. I've actually got a similar event coming up on Saturday; 700 points, must have at least one colossal, so I'm going with 'Attack of the 50-foot women'. Colossal Ms. Marvel, Giganta, and Elasti-Girl all at full, Queen of Fables, Stature, and then Skyscraper Wonder Woman at her lowest points. Probably won't be the greatest team, but I've been wanting to run it for a while, and this event is the perfect time.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Steve Vader posted:

Speaking of giants...

There's a 600 point game this weekend, Modern Age, which I hate because I tend to like to play obscure teams that spread out over multiple sets and thus can't use everybody all the time and I hate it because I hate it.

We get bonus points per kill for named theme teams. I'm just dumb enough to want to run Ymir at 550 points and then... there are no Asgardians 50 points or less... um... huh. Maybe I'll equip Proteus or something?

Couldn't put Proteus on Ymir. Not only does being colossal prevent equipping, but you have to be 100 points or less to equip Proteus.

There are a ton of Asgardians at 50 points or fewer, though... three Thors, Sif, Jane Foster, Throg, lots of generics... heck, if you've got them, you could run two retaliation Frost Giants to stay super-thematic.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Red posted:

I really wish the Flock of Bats had the Batman Family keyword, but I guess I understand why they don't. Maybe at least give them the 'they don't break theme as long as you have someone named 'Batman' on your force'.

The new rules actually reclassified them (along with all the other no-dial 3D figures) as bystanders, so even though they have keywords, they don't break theme teams any longer.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Morand posted:

Anyone play in a WKO over the weekend? Any fun stories?

Running ours this Saturday. Sealed all the way... we'll see how it goes.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Keeping a venue from getting cheesy and driving away the 'fun' players can be a struggle. I've been waging that battle for years. Staying away from non-standard events is a big key. Vary build totals, and have various build restrictions or scenarios. I only run 300 Modern once a year, right before Worlds, and even that is a handicap format... if you're going to Worlds, you get 300 Modern. If you aren't, you get 400 Silver. That, and my casual players are an outspoken bunch, so they let the cheese players know if they go too far in ruining someone's fun. Might do the Spring WKO with 300 Modern for the top 8, since that will be close enough to World's to let people get some practice.

Speaking of, got together with my cheese players last night, and we had our first World's practice session of the year. It's impressive how wide-open the field of potential teams seems, this year. Lots of builds floating around, but nothing really shining yet, and it's pretty frustrating how most everything is one bad roll away from losing to the Uni-Mind. Still hate that they brought ID cards back, and really hate how they changed the rules to make them better. Looking forward to seeing how things shake out, going forward.

ManiacClown posted:

For example, I suggested Class Warfare, where your entire force has to be all one rarity, with starter/Fast Forces/other non-blind buy figures considered a "fixed" rarity, maybe giving a +1 to Attack value for each step in rarity difference between the attacker and the target.

Ooh, Class Warfare! That's a card in my Joker's Wild deck. As you say, +1 attack for every step in rarity difference, and then shifting over to damage bonuses if you max out the attack bonuses.

I've got no shortage of wacky bullshit scenarios, if you want ideas. This week is 1,000 points, at the beginning of the game, each player picks a friendly and an opposing character, and the chosen characters get random relics or equipment, and if they're KO'd, the character that KO'd them gets them (ignoring the '1 equipment per character' rule).

Torrent fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 6, 2018

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

ManiacClown posted:

Man, lay all the ideas you've got on me. In fact, I should start have started a Google doc* for them. With Class Warfare, how do you handle the bonus for fixed-rarity characters?

*Anyone with the link can comment.

The text on the Class Warfare card is:
When this character attacks, modify its attack value by +1 for each step its rarity is away from its target’s rarity. Once its attack value exceeds +3 due to this effect, begin modifying the damage value.
Ultra-Chase
Con LE
Chase
Super Rare*
LE
Starter/Fast Forces/Super Booster
Rare*
Uncommon*
Common*
*Prime status increases rank by 1 step

Off the top of my head, scenarios that people tend to like:

Widdle Cwix - build six 200-point teams, and play as many games as you can in the time limit. No KO points, each victory is worth 1 point. Best played on smaller maps.

Magnificent Seven - bring 7 figures (no base above peanut no points above 400). 4 actions per turn, each KO is worth 1 point. For variety, I sometimes add a True Highlander rule, which changes it up to bring 10 figures, field 7. If you and your opponent have the same character (by secret identity, not figure number), neither of you can play them, and you both replace from your sideline.

Royal Rumble (described a couple pages back)

Pot Luck - usually go 400 points. At beginning of the event, and before each tournament round, all the teams are laid out for all to see. A random order is assigned, and you pick what you want to play. Can't pick your own team, or one that you've already picked.

Snake Draft - similar to Pot Luck. Bring 1 figure in four categories (1-50, 51-100, 101-150, 151-200). Set all the figures out, get a snake draft order, and everybody picks from the highest-point category available until everyone has a team of 4.

Mirror Match - bring 2 identical teams, pass one to your opponent and make a combined team from what you brought and what you got.

Events that require some props:

Rings of the Mandarin - probably my favorite event, and how I learned the PAC. Before the start of each game, choose 4 figures, one for each combat slot, and then draw from a box of colored rings (I've got 4 rings for each PAC color). That character can use the power of their chosen slot/color for that game. If they get a white ring, they can't use any powers for that slot.

Super Power Scramble - need a poster with spots on it for each PAC color. Before the start of each tournament round, go down the poster and pull a colored marker for each spot, and the listed color changes to the pulled color. For example, if pulling on the grey spot, you get purple, Running Shot becomes Force Blast, TK becomes Smoke Cloud, etc. Also have '+1 and...' and '+2 and...' markers that can be pulled, to increase combat values when showing the listed colors.

Power Outage - every so often (usually go about every 7 minutes), the judge rolls a PAC d20 and turns off whatever shows up, be it a color, or all attack powers, or all Improved abilities, or whatever. In game 1, just one power is out at a time. In game 2, it's 2 out at a time. In game 3, it just keeps stacking. Rolling a crit miss lets you choose one power that's off to replace with a fresh roll for your map. At halfway through the round, I tend to do a power surge, and everybody gets to use all the powers that show up on a roll, until the next outage. Nothing hard and fast, just mix it up with the theme.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Huh... World's isn't going to be at Origins, this year. It is 'to be held at an east coast convention in the fall.' Got a bunch of guys who were going to Origins with me that aren't happy about this. WizKids just can't resist screwing with their convention schedule... between this, and them not planning on doing events at Gen-Con this year, there's bound to be plenty of unhappy players.

On the plus side, some con LEs announced:

For the first time ever, HeroClix players will have the opportunity to win:

Marvel HeroClix: Daredevil Prize Figure
DC HeroClix: Kingdom Come Orion Prize Figure
DC HeroClix: Bombshells Hawlgirl Prize Figure
Marvel HeroClix: Banshee ID Card
Marvel HeroClix: Psylocke ID Card
DC Comics HeroClix: Mr. Freeze ID Card
DC Comics HeroClix: Poison Ivy ID Card

On top of that, HeroClix players will now be able to purchase:

Marvel HeroClix: The Blackbird For Sale Set
DC HeroClix: Batman Commissioner Gordon For Sale Figure
Star Trek HeroClix Away Team: Kirk and Uhura For Sale Figure

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

https://wizkids.com/heroclix/2018/03/09/2018-wizkids-national-world-championships/

CapnAndy posted:

GODDAMMIT WHAT?

There's no official announcement on that one yet, so there's still hope. But, last I checked with the volunteer coordinator, Gen-Con wants to put our events on the football field again, and WizKids doesn't want that, since being so far away cut our attendance just about in half from where it usually is (although, you know, having skipped Gen-Con for a couple years previously might have also had something to do with that). So, the WK plan is to have a booth to sell stuff, but not to run events.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

ManiacClown posted:

I'll ask the obvious question. What did Origins do that made WizKids decide to jump ship from that being their site for Worlds? I swear, they need dense metal boots because they seem to be unable to not shoot themselves in the foot these days.

I actually haven't heard any pushback on Origins from WizKids, so this is really odd to me. If I hear something, I'll let you guys know.

On the subject of both conventions and of fun tournament scenarios: I'm currently writing up the event descriptions for the casual side tournaments at Origins. Would love to hear opinions from you guys on something...

Would you rather most builds be:

Modern Age, no ID cards
or
Golden Age, big list of exemptions (no feats, BFCs, possession figures, spells, traps, d20 figures, ID cards, resources...)

Personally, while I enjoy the idea of people being able to play whatever figures they want, I also enjoy how much more streamlined the former option is.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Wow... Mind Control got *even worse*, and all because someone out there thought that breaking away was confusing.

Ran our Winter WKO today. Turnout was great... had 18 people show up, good mix of locals and folks from the surrounding area. Everything else early on, though... not so great.

We'd advertised it as opening with Xavier's School sealed, then going Avengers/Defenders for the top 8, along with a raffle to distribute the second prize kit. Got a message as I was heading over that they somehow only had 18 Xavier's School boosters left, despite us ordering extra product to run the event with. Then, when I arrived to get things set up, I discovered that we only had one prize kit.

So, people weren't happy, nor was I. But I started them building teams with ADW and got working with the venue on make-goods. The store bought pizza for everybody, and we decided to empty out the rainy day fund so that we could have raffle prizes, anyway. Ended up with factory sets of Uncanny X-Men, World's Finest, Civil War movie set, and Dawn of Justice movie set, along with a couple super boosters. Used the remaining Xavier's School for the top 8, and swagged the hell out of battle royales once those started running. By the end, everybody was happy with how things had run, and it seems like everybody had a good time.

Remarkable things from the tournament... someone pulled the chase Worldbreaker, and proceeded to get stomped into the dirt. Just whiffed every single attack with him for the first two games. Saw a Hawkeye pull a 12-damage Energy Explosion out of his quiver. Saw a heck of a lot of 13 attack values miss. Once we got to the top 8, saw someone running a double-Synch team, which was pretty amusing. One of them would copy a power from someone, then the other would copy that power from Synch and also pick up Perplex due to the shared keyword.

Top table saw a brutal team of SR Angel, SR Wolverine, a Jean and Kitty go up against an equally-brutal team of two Storms, uncommon Magneto, Kitty, common Cyclops, and an X-Trainee on the RCE clicks. Wolverine made a good effort at it, but just couldn't stand up against four Perplexes and five Leaderships.

After the rocky start, it turned out to be a good day of 'Clix all around.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
First information on Con LEs has been announced.

https://wizkids.com/heroclix/2018/03/29/2018-worlds-convention-exclusive-update/

Exclusive to whereever-the-hell Worlds is going to be are:
Marvel HeroClix: Gwenpool Prize Figure
DC Comics HeroClix: The Joker Figure (DKR)
Marvel HeroClix: Thanos and Thanoscopter For Sale Set
DC Comics HeroClix: Colossal Starro For Sale Set
DC Comics HeroClix: The Joker ID Card
DC Comics HeroClix: Two-Face ID Card

Gwenpool had better be available in other places, is all I'm saying. Not exactly happy spending hundreds of dollars and giving up a week to run events for them at Origins and then see such a great list of exclusives that won't be available there.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Sanschel posted:

Anybody have ideas for a 400 point Easter team? So far I've only got White Rabbit, Egghead, and Gardener. I could add Black Talon for a chicken/egg connection, or a Gorn, claiming he's holding the boulder from Jesus' tomb, but either way I'm still underbuilt and at a loss for other figures.

There are two Eggheads, don't forget, one Marvel, one Batman '66. Shang-Tzu is a giant egg. Bombshell Zatanna generates a rabbit. Team base Magneto has a very 'Christ on the cross' pose. SR Riddler from Joker's Wild hides presents all around the map. Tangent Green Lantern can raise the dead...

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Morand posted:

Any thoughts on the Infinity Previews that have been put up yet? I think Cosmo is pretty fun looking and Ego Prime could be neat on the right maps. Kinda weird theres no retaliations for them though.

Also thoughts that they've announced the next set after infinity is Battleworlds? We could actually get a God Doom!

As of right now, I'm really only digging on Cosmo and Javelin. Gonna need all of those goofy-looking Space Knights for my 'clunky old robots' team. Not at all interested in those chases.

Battleworld, though... that thing has as much potential as What If...? did. So many potential cool things... I'd love to get Captain America & Devil Dinosaur, a new Elsa Bloodstone, that bandage-wrapped Moon Knight, loads of Thors, maybe a Miles Morales with the freaking Champions keyword (not that it would be story appropriate, but it's a good set for Miles). Given how much they love reusing sculpts, I could see 616 and Ultimate versions of all the regulars...

God-Doom, though, I don't think so. If they were putting him in a set, I think they'd be trumpeting it from the rooftops, since that would really ensure pre-orders. I'm betting he'll be a con exclusive next year.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Highlight of my pre-release was pulling and spite-playing a Dune Buggy. I had Rocket Raccoon drive the thing, and every time it got knocked down to the 'dude, the horn is stuck' power, it just presented the perfect the mental image of Rocket leaning on the horn and laughing his rear end off as it gave everyone around him penalties. It was just a great and accidental in-character moment.

Then, in the third round, he tried the same move on Venom... as soon as the horn went off, Venom smashed it with a crit hit. Symbiotes hate loud sounds.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

CapnAndy posted:

Good news, everyone! It seems like enough Star Trek TOS stuff was sold, because guess what just got solicited?

Yeah, this is everything that I've hoped for, since the original series set got announced. I'm hoping for holodeck variant chases... Picard as Dixon Hill, Data and Geordi as Holmes and Watson, Sheriff Worf... this set is entirely my jam.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
I ran Giganto this past weekend, along with throne-Namor and eight Sharks. Giganto had two jobs: Quake an entire team early-on, and then soak up all the attacks until the Sharks could begin the feeding frenzy, and he performed both of them admirably.

Both Devil Dinosaurs are mixed bags. Moon Boy is okay, but doesn't bring much 'Moon Boy' flavor to the party; it's pretty much just a big angry dinosaur. Moon Girl I really hate, because the dial is utterly boring. They're 8 clicks of the exact same powers, with just none of the wild creativity of the character. In play, they're really solid, since they're absolutely consistent, but it really bugs me that they phoned it in so hard.

Haven't played a Spider-Buggy yet, but the Dune Buggy is surprisingly useful.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
I certainly know how effective the Dune Buggy's terrain dial can be. That thing is on one of the teams I've been using to help my friends practice for Nationals. And now I've been inspired to put together a stupid triple-Buggy team to throw at them this Sunday, just to see what happens.

The meta is really weird, this year. With Faust and the Quinjet out, I'm curious to see what's going to end up blindsiding people. I've managed to be shockingly-effective with just the stupidest builds...

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Apache Chief was announced early on. And, yeah, I'd riot if they didn't have him. He's been near the top of my list of figures I want to see for almost fifteen years.

50-point Hulk does make a tempting Buggy pilot. I'm looking at 50-point headmaster Wolverine, to go 11 with the Blades and be a little more survivable when he pops out, but 12 attack/4 damage is tough to pass up, particularly if the Buggy carries around some Empower.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

CapnAndy posted:

Apparently they were running battle royales with BTAS at Origins today, so a bunch of dials are getting spoiled.

We only ran two, and players had to win a raffle to get in. The set looks really great!

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

thebardyspoon posted:

The Hawkman and Hawkgirl duo are very weird though, they have the JLU sculpt and the trait despite those characters never really working together much in the show but then they have comic appropriate keywords like All Star Squadron and Justice Society. I guess they're letting them pull double duty as comic and show figures since they've never made a duo of the two in a comic set (been ages since they've made a regular universe Hawkgirl at all really). Hopefully there's a solo JLU Hawkgirl elsewhere in the set, would be a bit bullshit to make one of the big seven only appear in the set as a duo from like one episode.

The Hawk duo are a champion-designed figure. My guess would be that they were designed as main-universe versions, and then WizKids added the JLU sculpt and flair in order to make it fit the set theme, since we only have one DC set this year.

Origins was exhausting, but I really do love running events for people all week. 'Clix players generally rock.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
I'd be partial to Captain America, just because of all the figures there are who can gain his keywords. Jessica Jones, Agent of SHIELD, Nomad, Jet Black, Cap's Motorcycle... then you get many Caps that can join Dugh's Army, and the new Karai in Turtles Unplugged can add a couple different Caps to the Foot Clan. There's a lot of nonsense themes that you can pull off with him.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
At my venue, we use comic book longboxes. They're the right size for folded maps, and hold a lot of them. Downsides are that they're freaking heavy, and it can be tough to find any specific map.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Had our WKO/Batman pre-release this weekend. Also had a giant storm, so our turnout was low. I was running things, so didn't get to be part of the main tournament. We had two chases pulled (Aquaman and Hawkgirl), along with a bunch of super rares and one prime (Claybats). Guy who won ran common Joker/Harley, the Freeze who sticks people to walls, and a couple others, with Aquaman on TroubAlert duty. That Harley put in an absurd amount of work, and just kept rolling back to her top clicks after taking damage. He crit missed in the last minute of the tournament, and finally brought Aquaman in for the first time, who took the last action to KO an opposing Joker and got him the win.

We had enough product left to start running battle royales as people started to get eliminated, and I managed to slip into one of those. Pulled the SR Clayface, and got passed that same Mr. Freeze. Those two put in a ton of work, and before long, nobody could really crack their defenses. Ended up flailing back and forth uselessly for a good while against a Phantasm, after everything else was long gone. Could never put her in the ground, but got enough points to walk away with my Clayface and a couple Suited Henchmen. It was a good day of 'Clix.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Morand posted:

I kind of really want the SR Clayface. He looks like a blast to play

I've pulled him in two of the three battle royales that I've done with this set, and, yeah, unless you're facing down a couple Outwits, he's a total blast. The one that I played today, I got him up to three Renuyu tokens. I'd just gotten a Robot Minotaur off from Invincible and was hoping to Blades it for 9 when time was called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Morand posted:

Anyone playing in a DOFP event? Store is running 300 Modern with Highlander for Month 1, and it feels like everyone is going to go pretty hard for it.

Tomorrow, I'll be running our month one. Doing the same format each month, just upping the point costs. Need to be themed around future, past, robot, or anything X-related. In future months, everything the previous winners paid points for on their teams won't be allowed to be used again.

I'm going to be running three of my old Toys 'r Us Sentinels.