Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Man, I know they've been pretty lackadaisical about previewing stuff these past few years but with this Gotham Girls set supposedly coming out in a month they've really taken the biscuit. Just a few shots from conventions and events, no dials or anything and if you don't go on HCRealms you probably wouldn't even know it exists. Some dude who supposedly has had correct info in the past is talking about who is in the set and if he's correct this time then it sounds pretty good character wise, the Female Furies, Secret Six, some long unmade Suicide Squad regulars, some needed remakes of Gotham villains and a Dr Mid-nite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

ManiacClown posted:

Oh, goddammityfuck. Just when I have absolutely no spare money. At least I doubt they'll make any of the Suicide Squad or Female Furies chases because they're not popular enough.

Plastique is apparently one and Nightshade is another, though I guess she was made already it was just like, 10 years ago. Lots of stuff that hasn't been made since the years of Collateral Damage or Origins in the set so it's looking like a good one to me. I suspect you're right about the chases, they're probably some subset of characters from a DC event in the past few years, like those evil Batmen from that new event are almost guaranteed chases in a year or two right?

To your main point, I've not been in that situation since our local scene died during the hiatus and it's just been me and two other guys playing friendly games ever since with a few prizes on the line when our local store gets them in very rarely. I will say that reading game outlines and team comps in the past few years has definitely gotten a lot less interesting, you see a lot of the same stuff over and over. I'd have quit if I'd have had to play against the book of skulls/phoenix force/lantern batterys/possessors in every game the years they were dominant but our group pretty much just play comic accurate theme team stuff so I'm pretty lucky.

CapnAndy posted:

I think that dude on HCRealms is why they're not previewing stuff; if there's a leak (and he's claimed to have a full setlist) they're probably trying to plug it and in no mood to post previews that'll confirm his accuracy.

Yeah he's definitely not smart to be doing all this dumb "confirming" bullshit if he's not someone designated to be doing that, personally I assume he's some guy who works in some side industry that just happens to get eyes on either a setlist or them in a product outline or something. I doubt the leaks are stopping them doing previews on the official site or doing their usual Scott Porter/youtuber unboxing videos, though the latter would usually be a little closer to release so they may still happen. They just seem to not really give a gently caress about promoting stuff of late.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 9, 2017

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Some sort of Zardoz team with Vartoz from the Superman/Wonder Woman set and some other figures would be my movie team.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I don't work with models or anything too often, is there a glue that's going to work best on Clix? I had this one type that worked fine back in the day, fixed a Crisis Black Adam that came broken at the ankle solidly and he's still fine today but on modern figures it doesn't seem to work as well and they seem to be coming broken more and more often, usually at the spindliest, most pain in the rear end place to apply glue and hold it.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The F4 villains are more exciting personally but yeah, looking forward to an eventual F4 focused set. I'm hoping if they make them using the modern, efficient 50 point dial style then they also make a second set of 4 more expensive ones since it's been so long since they were in the game at all. Would be cool if they got either a colossal set or something like the Infinity War Avengers set slated for next year, so we can get a new Galactus and some of the other big F4 related big characters that were until now not allowed to be made.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Also I am seeing some figures that will have two versions that seem the same except a color scheme and cost, I'm guessing these are equivalent to a foil card in CCG's? They do the same thing but look different and are more rare?

That might be a prime figure, they're much rarer second versions of figures in a set. They have different dials and powers, usually a slightly different sculpt or paint job, a green ring, share a collectors number with their counterpart (23a/23b for example) and you can only play 1 of a prime figure on a team. They're generally pretty powerful for the cost and you only get 1 in a case of boosters usually, so the prime version of the super rare figure in the set is usually pretty valuable, though as you've noted, nothing like as expensive as some Magic cards can be.

Wizkids also sometimes just doubles up on sculpt usage, so like a generic soldier in the common slot might get reused as a named character in the uncommon slot or something.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Fast Forces don't have maps anymore, they used to but they stopped doing that a few years ago. I think the Thunderbolts one that came out with the first Deadpool set was the last to have a map.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
One thing I would say, is when you get a figure you're really jazzed to play, don't rush in or try and be too fancy with it. Might sound obvious but I see a lot of people go "oh this figure has this cool power I want to see in action" and just ignore positioning and poo poo. I'm guilty of it too, last week played the female furies team I'd ordered and got a bit lairy with Granny Goodness's boomtube power, carried nearly the whole team in and Big Barda and half the others got annihilated over the next few turns. Just dumb.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Is there anything more satisfying in Clix than making an attack roll that was relatively unlikely and probably needed for you to stay in the game then the opponent making you reroll it and turning it into a critical hit? I think the only thing is maybe rolling a critical miss when you've mind controlled a tough guy and having them KO themselves.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
gently caress me, the next DC set is a Batman Animated Series set. http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585397

Part of me is very happy (especially since the side of the boosters in the brick picture have Hawkgirl and some other much needed remakes as well as Batman Beyond) but man.... another Batman focused set for the third year in a row? The fast forces has Harley Quinn, Joker and Poison Ivy in it again even. That complaint aside, I will loving buy pretty much every figure in this set probably.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
gently caress me is a way of expressing surprise, definitely not a bad thing. I didn't actually read the solicit properly either, didn't notice it said JLU. So that means a few much needed figures hopefully.

I've always wanted a Phantasm click and this is pretty much the only way that was ever going to happen. I definitely need a TAS Two Face and Clayface as well. Reckon the Super Friends are the chases?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
This X Men set is pretty weird huh? Barring the Old Man Logan SR and any surprises I pretty much only want the Jubilee since I never got the WaXM one and there's like, a few other characters I could maybe see getting. Hoping Rockslide is in one of the yet to be revealed slots and hoping there's at least one or two more villains since there's a lot of X Men villains who need making/remaking (how have they done two rounds of Age of Apocalypse chases and not made a bloody Apocalypse?).

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
There's not too many figures I really want but the few that I do want, I am really excited to get and play, that Sprite looks like she'll be annoying as gently caress to play against and I've always had a fondness for that awful, awful costume.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think they're doing better now than they were say... two or three years ago. I must admit, there was a period in Clix where my eyes kinda crossed whenever I would read some of the battles you guys had with everyone using a different resource/possessor or every figure on the Units section on the realms had the "this is great with Book of the Skull/Lantern Battery/Utility Belt". Some of that was longer than 3 years ago but they were still making some of that stuff in 2015/16 I think. I will agree that the sets seem more balanced for themselves rather than as part of a cohesive game though.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Morand posted:

I didn’t read Nightshades attack power which would have really hurt most of his team. King shark with a 13 AV also missed a professor x. He ended up beating a hard cheese uni mind squad in the finals to win the event.

Glad to read this happening to much better players than me, it's so annoying when you're like "oh I totally missed a bunch of damage three turns ago" and it probably would have turned the game around. Especially when you've built the team with that in mind but when it comes to the actual game you just blank.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yo so I am aware that this thread is not my personal rules question forum but just need a quick confirmation for how Hindering terrain works because the two people I've been playing with questioned how it works tonight and the rule book did not help me convince them that I'm right and in fact was so unhelpful that I am somewhat worried I'm wrong.

So we were playing on the Fallen Asgard map which has that big blob of special terrain in the middle that counts as hindering, my chum had a Batman with stealth right on the edge of the hindering but outside of it and I had a Jean Grey inside the blob of hindering 3 or 4 squares away from the batman, he said that the squares between were blocking line of fire. Now I'm pretty sure how that works is (and I'm also sure this is how we've always played it in any case, we've just not played for weeks and it's not come up for months) that a single blob of continuous hindering terrain is all one thing, so a figure shooting out of it doesn't have their line of fire blocked as long as it solely crosses hindering terrain within the boundary with the square that they're occupying and doesn't cross any separate hindering terrain squares outside of that. The logic being, you can shoot out of cover regardless of where you are in the cover.

Is that correct and if so, what's the passage in the rulebook that explains that and makes it clear? Also if it's wrong, then I guess I am red faced because I've been playing the game wrong for 15 years.

Also the previews have started spilling out for the Infinity set and there's a Namor with Giganto so that's pretty drat great. Sculpt looks amazing. On the downside, there's generic common colossal figures, Scott Porter pulled a generic Dune Buggy which they even painted the perfect colour to have a Shocker Mobile special trait or something but it doesn't have anything like that.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

You're wrong and your friend is right. The relevant passage in the rulebook is the one that says that lines of fire that cross hindering terrain are hindered. Draw a line of fire from Jean to Batman. Does it cross even a single square of hindering terrain? Yes, it does, so it's hindered.

Fuuuuuuck. Honestly that might be enough to make me stop playing this game that I've been playing wrong for 15 years. That seems so dumb. Has it always been that way then?

I totally thought it was the boundary lines that mattered for line of fire when the attacker is occupying a square of a big blob and attacking someone outside of it, like jean greys lof was only crossing the boundary line of hindering she was occupying. Well no wonder it was hard to get the rules to agree with me. We've totally been playing it that way as well. drat, drat, drat. They're also never going to trust me with a rules question again now.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 18, 2018

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Morand posted:

Please don't quit the game over something that minor. Honestly if you aren't sure you can ask and I'm sure your buddies aren't going to immediately lose all trust in you. You'll probably just need to provide documentation for the next rules question rather then your word.

poo poo happens, we all forget stuff.

Haha, I was half joking. It feels pretty dumb as a rule to me but yeah, I won't quit the game out of it. Hell, a primary factor in getting this very boring but lucrative job I just started was to get more clix money.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
That announcement is pretty awesome, me and my friend were talking about a Next Gen set and who would likely be in it just yesterday. I feel like Data and Worf especially will definitely be some useful options for what Starfleet are currently lacking.

I bet Locutus of Borg is probably going to be one of the chases right? Or a prime of a Super Rare Picard maybe. The chases in the TOS set were just two big villains and then shirtless Sulu and Kirk so not much of a theme, could see them just being cool random they know people will want.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Hope the sculpts/paintjobs for the TAS set are comparable to the ones at whatever event is providing the screenshots. Even if they aren't. I never thought I'd see a Hardac Batman or Baby Doll in clix so I'm already pretty happy.

Really curious what the ratio of actual TAS stuff is to JLU, Batman Beyond and Superfriends. HCRealms are setting themselves up for heartache by hoping for alot of the last 3 I think.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

ManiacClown posted:

My prediction? Superfriends will be the chases.

Yeah that's my expectation, either that or some sort of theme that allows Phantasm to be one of the chases. That Superfriends Aquaman sculpt is definitely something I'd expect on a chase though.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Those sculpts are so good, might push the boat out and get a case of this set. Superfriends have got to be chases then I think, if Batman Beyond and JLU are confirmed as non chases. Only other potential themes I can think of would be Justice Lords or like, big villains from the animated shows so Luthor/Brainiac combined, Darkseid, Phantasm, Beyond Joker etc.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

ManiacClown posted:

How right was I about the chases?

Someone previewed a super friends Robin chase a few days ago and as of last night at least nobody had pulled any other super friends in non chase slots so yeah looks like it's Superfriends chases.

The pictures of the actual sculpts in hand are pretty damned good and nearly all of the dials that have been posted so far look really fun. The villains especially, some of the value you can get out of them is crazy.

The Hawkman and Hawkgirl duo are very weird though, they have the JLU sculpt and the trait despite those characters never really working together much in the show but then they have comic appropriate keywords like All Star Squadron and Justice Society. I guess they're letting them pull double duty as comic and show figures since they've never made a duo of the two in a comic set (been ages since they've made a regular universe Hawkgirl at all really). Hopefully there's a solo JLU Hawkgirl elsewhere in the set, would be a bit bullshit to make one of the big seven only appear in the set as a duo from like one episode.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
July is the release I think, barring some sort of delay but when have those ever happened?

Reason the whole set has nearly been revealed is they had a battle royale or something at Origins using the set so a bunch of people have figures from it.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I just bought a full c/u/r/sr set, don't have much affection for superfriends so it was a pretty easy decision. Bloody amazing set all around barring a few omissions and a few too many Reused sculpts.

Hoping they do a follow up set with some Superman TAS, some more JLU and the batman beyond villains that didn't get made.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 21, 2018

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Mighty Thor was a pretty standard collation for a brick right? You either got a chase or a prime and then 3 SRs give or take? Seller in Germany is selling bricks and I'm mighty tempted just because I barely got any of that set when it came out and it seemed to sell out to a degree greater than any other set I've ever seen, even the uncommons are surprisingly expensive and/or non existent on Ebay.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Good to know, my group has recently gotten a couple new players so I can give away the few extras I do get pretty easily. Yeah might take the plunge and get two bricks. Worst that happens is I get a double of the one chase that I already did buy but even then I can sell it and get some of my money back.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 9, 2018

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah it's definitely a bit of a ghost town, has been for years. Doesn't inspire a great deal of confidence in the health of the game even though it seems to sell fine. Even HCRealms seems to be dropping off a bit in terms of posting.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah I've had the theory that they've switched into "make exactly as many cases as will sell and don't bother trying to grow the game" mode for a few years.

Though I feel like the dials are about as interesting as they've ever been myself.

I guess to their credit they've also been grabbing extra licenses which anecdotally have gotten a few people who are into Star Trek and turtles but not superheroes into the game.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 28, 2018

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think it's sorta like that common anecdote you used to hear about niche anime DVD production in Japan, they'd make exactly as many as they know will sell and then anymore than that is just risking having unsold product sitting around. Right now I'm feeling pretty over Marvel sets in general just because a lot of them have the exact same characters over and over again (he says after having bought every Batman TAS figure after two Gotham focused sets in a row) but even then I'll be down as soon as they show off a new Spider-Man or X-men set.

If we're talking dream clix videogame licenses then Overwatch would be pretty cool, pretty colourful set of popular characters and it's not too big so you wouldn't have that annoying "oh my favourite didn't get made" stuff. Mortal Kombat Klix would be great, Metal Gear has enough stuff for two or more full sets with all the cool bosses, various allies and colossals. It's a cartoon but Avatar/Korra would be pretty cool as well, sculpt/dial wise and there's enough characters to fill out a 60 figure set.

Personally I'm hoping when that Dredd series finally gets off the ground then we get a decently sized 2000 AD set, heard Rebellion are trying to use that license a lot more these days. Hopefully they'll get something to replace TMNT which, yeah, definitely has run its course.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Waiting until it's properly confirmed that it's fully compatible with regular Clix, cause sometimes they do those spinoff standalone products where they're heroclix branded but they won't work with the other stuff. Can't remember the name of it but one got announced a few months back. I will be totally down for Undertaker, Kane, Mankind, etc though if they are compatible.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
There's a fair few prominent characters in that show that haven't been made in a very long time, if it gets us another Apocalypse finally I'll take it.

Guessing they went hard for the nostalgia dollar this year with the TAS set and now this set. It's pretty funny actually, my clix playing friend who is more into Marvel said they might do an animated Spider-Man or Xmen set and I said that those designs aren't quite so iconic/different as TAS was and there isn't much differentiating an animated version of Wolverine from a comic version really in terms of dial so I made an actual bet with them that Wizkids probably wouldn't do it. Happy to be proven wrong since they'll be happy.

Can't think what I really want from Marvel sets these days since the F4 are out. I'd like a full set of villains I guess with the Avengers that apparently have to be in every set being evil versions of them like a William Burnside Cap.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
That raised an eyebrow as well but presumably it's some version of Power Girl that hasn't been made.

Good to finally get an announcement for DC, hopefully it includes everyone that really needs to get made.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Quick rules question, Elseworlds Uncommon Flash, can he use his tricky little save the president's life power to stop one figure from taking a full pulse wave blast if he's outside of the pulsewave range? Generally think of Pulse wave as a null zone and just by chance we don't actually use it much since it's not on a whole lot of figures in general and when we do it's usually pretty open and shut. It says he can use it when a character would be hit by a range attack and pulse wave is ranged combat action that results in an attack so I wasn't sure, I just let the dude block the 4 damage his main figure would have taken because I don't care enough to get into an argument but is that how it should work?

Also feel like as I've gotten older, I've become less able to eloquently explain the sorts of rules lawyering and explanations this game sometimes requires so I tend to just go with the flow for our games.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Always torn when Marvel sets get announced because on the one hand, they're usually cool in concept and the figures are good when they come out but it's weird that they keep making sets that should really have some F4 representation when that apparently can't happen still.

So the next year is Earth X set, the Captain Marvel movie set, DC Rebirth, X-Men Animated series and then this Black Panther and the Illuminati set? Don't think I'm going to be getting very many villains this year again.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Me and my friend were talking about this set, we're annoyed it's looking as good as it is because when Earth X got announced we both sorta went "phew, a set we can mostly ignore and save some money" and now the dials are out it's a really interesting, cool set which tends to happen quite alot. Guessing the Black Panther set will be our holiday from buying clix if it's a lot more Avengers and cosmic stuff.

The Spidey villains really helped alot, there's like 6 or 7 figures my friend has been waiting for since Heroclix started and the Earth X specific dials were enough to get me to check out the book and now I want them quite a bit. Definitely grabbing Green Goblin, Hulk and Iron Man out of the SRs so far, maybe Medusa cause the one I have isn't so very good anymore. I guess the last SR is probably She Hulk with the Hydra thing on her right? Will probably get that as well.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's the little things in this game that make it great sometimes, played a TAS team to get some more in before Earth X comes out and Syndicate/Maggia/Inhumans teams become the focus for a few months, managed to KO the title Captain Kirk with Alfred and the Gray Ghosts extra crit trait went off like 4 or 5 times.

Got some of my Earth X set, wish they'd stop making the attach points for sculpts very spindly. My goblin glider came broken and one of prime vulture's foot is broken off the flight swoosh so picking him up is going to be fraught with danger.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Until they specifically say it's clix I'm working on the assumption it's board game stuff or just little statues or whatever. Both of those would be cool in clix though.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
DC Rebirth Unboxing videos with Scott Porter are going up starting this week, first one just went up. About to watch it now but that set is looking weird, feel like the subthemes are so spread out that everyone is going to be slightly disappointed in any omissions cause it's the first non Batman, non Elseworlds set we've had in like, 3 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Weirdly I think Lilandra is the one I want most out of those (I assume her crazy perplex power works on herself and gives her +1 to all her stats since she has all those keywords right?), always had a soft spot for extremely tonally weird X-Men going into space stories. I'm expecting that animated set to have some amount of Starjammers and such as well.

Speaking of con exclusives, the owner of the store me and my mates play at came over last week and gave us one Gwenpool between the three of us, said she'd got it at a convention for free over in the US. We just rolled for it and I won it, making up for how poo poo my rolls usually are so that was nice. Main one I really want is the DKR Joker from last year or the year before.