Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Mantle posted:

Is anyone still trying to do this? I know it's tough out there, so I wanted to offer to to have a chat with anyone struggling. Crazy to see that I'm 4 years in now and in my 40s.

That's me. I've been doing online courses through https://www.launchschool.com for a couple of years now. It's a self paced program built around really mastering a section before moving on to the next section. The course has video interview/tests at the end of some courses which is one of the things that drew me to it, getting some practice at being given a problem, then thinking through a plan and talking about it aloud and actually coding up a solution. I've wrapped up all of the major problem-solving-rear end coding stuff (in Ruby) and am working through backend web-development currently.

So, currently, I feel very confident in my ability to break a problem down, understand what sort of data structure to use and why, and how to effectively translate a solution into code that works as expected. I've been applying without any luck while working through these classes. From what I can see, nearly all of those I see near me in the Oklahoma City Area list a ton of tools/frameworks/etc that I don't know anything about or are looking for someone who has a masters or doctorate degree in Computer Science. I've been applying to many of these anyway because anyone who has been doing this stuff for a bit knows that the fundamentals and overall understanding are key, the specifics of a given framework are just a matter of adjustment. Right now, sending out applications, resumes, and cover letters feels like a waste of time and is really discouraging when the response back is mostly silence with the occasional rejection email.

A downside to not being part of a bootcamp is that I don't really have a network of people to check in with and use for help in finding employment doing this stuff. That's on me too, I like just sitting down and plugging away at this stuff but coding and learning in isolation doesn't do a lot to telegraph to the world that I can do this stuff and someone should pay me for it. Everything I read about finding a job doing this stresses the importance of building out a network and taking advantage of it. I listened to a book by the guy that runs freecodecamp and half of that book is just about networking and making a big list of people you've met and checking in with them about what they're doing and whether you can help them, it kinda grossed me out thinking of cultivating these fake friendships specifically for career advancement in such an artificial way. What would you or anyone else recommend that I start doing so that I can increase the chances that someone will pay me to do this stuff?

As for what I've done: Lots of smaller projects, but I never know if I should put something I do with the guidance of a class as a demonstration of my abilities. Something I'm proud of is a small game I made in Love/LUA called "Guess Wu?" It's a music clip guessing game featuring members of the Wu Tang Clan. I have it listed on my resume but it might just make me look like I want to make games. (I do on the side, but I'm happy to get paid to code and solve problems too)

Demonstration videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05fRa2lPiZU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-0KUcjJ9UI

The executable is available here: https://github.com/Jolomono/Guess-Wu/releases/

Jolo fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU