Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Do you have programming experience in some other language? If so, you can pick up enough Python to be useful pretty quickly. If not, it'll take longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There's some discussion in the data science thread. That has a larger audience than this thread does, so it might be a better place to ask for recommendations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The books in question. I don't think that's a great arrangement for someone who's just starting out or for someone who knows a lot and wants to make the jump to being an expert, but if you fall somewhere in between, throw down $15 and see how it goes.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Anyone want to weigh in on this? Not having a strong maths background myself I would like to know.

The thing is that there's a lot of room in what gets counted as a "data scientist" position. One end, you have people who are essentially researchers, and they have to know the theory in order to be able to engage with and advance the literature. On the other hand, you have BI folks who've been the beneficiaries of title inflation, and don't really need any serious understanding of anything beyond their industry.

I think that at this point, most of the open positions are towards the latter end of the spectrum, but maybe not all the way there. On the other hand, the jobs towards the former end tend to pay a bit better. I think it's fine to break in without knowing too much math, but that you are going to be limited in what you can do at some point unless you pick that up somehow. That said, I'm very much on the research-ish side of things, so my perspective may be skewed.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

My general advice for people who are looking to pick a major is to double up in stats and CS, and then do a master's in whichever of those you like better. You can do other things, but that's the easiest route into the career, so I think you need reason to do those other things.

I'm not a fan of any data science master's programs I've seen. I think they're mostly a cash cow for the university that offers them.

foutre posted:

Finally, am I correct in thinking that not having a MA/quantitative degree will eventually be an issue? So far my internships/jobs have been with organizations that have very few people with quantitative skills, so my willingness to spend a lot of time on StackOverflow and ability to use R has been sufficient to let me do interesting work, but I've had a lot more trouble getting proper analyst positions.

It probably will be. I don't have the exact numbers, but from the last BurtchWorks report I think something like 45% of data scientists have a PhD, 50% have a master's but no PhD, 5% have only a bachelor's, and the people who don't have any degree are rounding error. I would expect the percentage of people without a PhD will go up over time, but most of those positions will go to master's holders.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Being a fresh graduate counts for a lot in a market like this.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The average quality of life at tech companies is much higher than at financial companies.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Every nontrivial piece of software has a database, and SQL is the interface for the vast majority of them.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Anyone looking to break into data science right now should read Data science is different now. It's not a happy read, but it's full of things you need to hear.

quote:

Since 2012, the data science industry has moved extremely quickly. It’s gone through almost every stage in the Gartner hype cycle. We’ve been through the early adoption phase, the negative press around AI and bias, the second and third rounds of venture capital for companies like Facebook, and are now at the point of high-growth adoption: where banks, healthcare companies, and other Fortune 100 companies that move five years behind the market are also hiring for data science in machine learning.

A lot has changed. Big Data (remember Hadoop? and Pig?) is out. R has seen a meteoric rise in adoption. Python was written up in the Economist. Then the cloud changed everything all over again.

Unfortunately, what has not changed is the mass media hype around the field of data science, which has trumpeted data scientist as the ‘sexiest career of the 21st century’ so many times, that there is now what I believe to be an important problem that we as a community need to talk about. That problem is an oversupply of junior data scientists hoping to enter the industry, and mismatched expectations on what they can hope to find once they do get that coveted title of “data scientist.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

At some point someone is going to ask you why the model isn't working right. There are limits on how well you can answer that question if you don't know at least a little bit of the math.