Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Mantle posted:

Is anyone still trying to do this? I know it's tough out there, so I wanted to offer to to have a chat with anyone struggling. Crazy to see that I'm 4 years in now and in my 40s.

I just discovered that my unemployment will run out in three weeks, so while I'm waiting for Uber Eats to accept my background check, I am back to seriously looking at bootcamps. My experience has been in ecommerce, basically putting the words and pictures in for things that are for sale online and making them look nice, and creating overly-complicated Excel sheets that automate my job (paste a bunch of product data in column a, get an XML file in column b that I can import into salesforce). Also lots of photoshop.

Do you feel like the landscape has changed post-covid? That is, do you think you still would have gotten "interviews with 6 companies in 5 weeks" if you did it now?

My two biggest concerns are
a) finding the right bootcamp, because even reviews of the same one will range from "A+++++ I am a millionaire now" to "my teacher sucked and I wasted thousands of dollars," and
b) figuring out what track (front end, back end, full stack, data analyst, software engineer...) I would even want to do. My limited experiences with HTML, Javascript, and Python have been relatively positive, but CSS fuckin' sucks which is ironic because my background is like 50% design. Data analysis seems like reading tea leaves and I don't even know what being a software engineer requires.

I guess the answer to A is just "research and hope" but any insight or resources you might share with either would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it. I just did a little exploring on reddit and the consensus is that the job market is so weak and there is such a glut of entry-level programmers that it is nearly impossible to get a job from a bootcamp. People spending all year applying just to go back to their old career, or being informed that they were one of 6000 applicants so bootcamp grads just get thrown in the trash immediately.

On top of that, I feel like I really need an in-person one, and the only ones in my (very large!) city are run by companies with enough horrible reviews that I can't justify spending even half of what they charge in tuition. Honestly I can't even find a remote one that is somewhat reputable. I guess I'll just try to be more consistent about doing the udemy classes I bought earlier this year and hope the new year brings new opportunities. Really kicking myself for not doing this years ago.