Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
Another old trying to transition careers here.

I'm wondering if I can get either part-time work (ideal) or just random projects while I'm still in my current career so I have real work I can show to make the transition easier (i.e. take less or no pay cut to start).

I'm currently going through a Masters in Analytics program. Short story is that I'm not 100% set on changing careers and I figured the degree would work better for trying to get better jobs in my current field instead of a certification or trying to explain to an HR drone the idea of EdX or udacity. If that works out, I may just stay, but I'm getting pretty sick of working for the government so may look to leave even if I did get something better. I also like having structure rather than just making my own schedule which doesn't always work out.

My current job is boring and while I'm paid decently I have almost nothing to do at work and that seems unlikely to change. I currently spend a lot of my time on random websites and doing classwork. I'd love to spend this time doing something more productive and no one seems to care if I have my laptop open at my office doing something else as long as I'm caught up. I literally do 4-5 hours of work some weeks. So I have a lot of time to work on other things but I'd need to work remotely unless we suddenly start teleworking like they've been saying we're about to for the last year+.

I'm trying to get them to let me do some analysis here as we actually have a need for it and no one capable of doing anything but we are not run well and it's unlikely my offer to do extra work at no expense will go anywhere. (I've been trying to take on extra projects for about two years now and always get shot down because it might mean 2% extra work for a manager who doesn't want to do it).

*We've learned some R (general data manipulation/exploration plus statistical tests/graphing with HH), SQL, and now are using JMP Pro in a data mining course, if what I have learned how to use is relevant to the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU