Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Haven't looked at any serious math stuff but I have completed a bunch of SQL online free courses in the last month or so and look forward to tackling python. Thinking of taking a professional development certification course in python so I can have at least some proof of competency.

I have wasted so many opportunities should have just done CS from the start but oh well

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Seanzor posted:

I highly recommend starting with Python - it is syntactically clean, making it much easier to get past the initial "wtf does any of this mean" barrier and start learning concepts, which are largely universal to any language. It's also plenty powerful and in-demand.

Example: crude basic addition in C:

main()
{
int a = 1;
int b = 2;
int c = a+b;
printf("%d", c);
return 0;
}

The same thing in Python:

a = 1
b = 2
c = a+b
print c

I also recommend Udacity. They have a larger course library now than when I started, but I took these two (totally free) classes, in this order:

https://www.udacity.com/course/intro-to-computer-science--cs101 (start: you've never written a line of code; end: you've built a web crawler and search algorithm comparable to what Google used to revolutionize the search industry)
https://www.udacity.com/course/web-development--cs253 (building a web application, taught by Steve Huffman [a creator of Reddit] - a surprisingly good instructor!)

Those two classes taught me all I needed to start doing really cool stuff (which helped me land a fantastic job in tech). There are probably better beginner courses now (maybe https://www.udacity.com/course/programming-foundations-with-python--ud036), but I haven't taken them.

If you don't mind sharing. What profession were you in before doing these courses? What cool stuff did you build from those two courses? How long did the courses+cool stuff+interview->hired process take?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
How's the grind been treating you fine folks?

I haven't kept up nearly enough since August due to a bunch of work and personal malarkey.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
How's everyone doing in their transition into data science?

Know some ppl are doing data science boot camps. 3 month full time affairs, 1 found a good high 5-figure job within 6 months of completing his camp and another is about 75% of the way through his camp.

I hate the idea of taking time off from work to do this fulltime but I've found my time is much more effectively spent coding when I'm in a collaborative environment where I can ask quick questions to help move me along.

Any of you rascals doing a boot camp?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 23, 2019

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

MickeyFinn posted:

Which boot camp(s)? I'm very tired of my current job and total lack of options in my stagnant field, so I'm seriously considering taking a year off to travel and then do one of these camps. Working on it in my free time simply isn't enough.

Forgot, will follow-up with my SO's friends and get back to you.

I also agree that doing it in freetime isn't enough. The return on time invested for something technical like this is so much better in a collaborative environment where you can just immediately ask a question and get an answer, instead of banging your head against a programming issues while scouring stack overflow for answers.

The bootcamp also seems valuable because there's strong networking and recruitment pipelines, which is definitely part of the appeal.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Acquaintance did a 3-month intensive boot camp, looked for a job for 3 months, got hired on prohibition/testing for 6, and just now received a full-time employment offer for $100,000.

12 months total. You can do it too my friends.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Vegetable posted:

What's his background?

Theater / service industry

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Another friend of a friend from that program who was an English major just finished the boot camp and is now making $150k for a ride share company.

I don’t know if it’s this successful everywhere, for everyone... but these dudes did not seem like the brightest bulbs in the box and yet they are making it work.

Maybe it’s just the Bay location.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 23, 2019

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
While it’s for sure the case that worker supply is closing the gap with employer demand, as somebody who lives in a major tech hub, there are still way more jobs than people to fill them.

The other thing to consider is best alternatives.

If somebody is hosed working a service industry job, the idea that “well data scientist jobs are slowing down” isn’t that big of a deal.

Again, and sure this is only anecdotal, but at this point I know almost a dozen people who went through boot camps who are making 6 figures within 6 months of graduation. Most of those people came from backgrounds in service industry, copy editing, and other non-quant backgrounds. Also all but one of them seem a bit dumb.

It’s not guaranteed but a lot of people are economically hosed in their current situation and they need to roll the dice on something to get ahead.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

TraderStav posted:

I think you can take that course for free from EDX

E: yes, only pay for certificate. I started this and found it pretty good.

https://webview.edx.org/microsoft-professional-program-data-science

Thank you for sharing that link. Looks like a solid one stop shop to learn.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
When I was in grad school, I really liked my courses on program evaluation and regression analysis. Stuff like STATA.

Are there any good accreditation or certificate programs? I want to; refresh old memory, learn new skills, and have a tangible thing to show employers that I know how to do program evaluation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Thank you friend.