Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Chiming in late to the thread but I'm a Mech E undergrad Sys E M.S and started a legal tech startup after teaching myself Python which has done pretty well so far. We employ a few engineers and I can answer questions about hiring 2nd career software engineers. I also did this in my 30s after some tours at big tech and aerospace companies.

TropicalCoke posted:

Thinking about transitioning into coding after a little career in politics and government. I've talked to a couple of boot camps and even toured one. It seems like an okay route since I can afford it and I need the classroom instruction to really make sure I'm focused. Anyone have an experience with one?

We had an extern from Insight Data Science and I'd recommend it as a bootcamp. Lambda school also seems to have very high placement rates due to their YCombinator connections and project based curriculum.

mearn posted:

I'm currently going through a Master's program in Data Science. It's an online program, which isn't really ideal and honestly I haven't found much of the material to be much more informative than a DataCamp subscription would be. I know an online program isn't really the best choice. I've got two semesters left at this point and it's all being paid for by my current employer, so I'm going to stick it out. I guess my plan from here is to just work on personal projects and try to build a portfolio in the meantime, since I'm not sure how much value this degree is going to have on my resume.

Missing out on the networking opportunities of a physical masters program is a definite drawback and that's what I'm trying to figure out how to overcome now. I found a monthly Python meetup in my area, but it looks like most of their recent events have been more focused on Django and other topics that aren't necessarily data-oriented.

An M.S. from a real school is > than a Bootcamp IMO. Building a GitHub with tutorials and personal projects completed is a great idea. You seem kinda down on the whole thing but you sound like you're on the right track. Consider pitching this like its awesome rather than a just-okay thing you're doing when you do decide to make a change.

While Django/Flask may be "not data", they're a huge, important part of the life cycle in that they directly interface with the stuff you want to do. Understanding your core area of expertise and its direct interfaces is important.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Mantle posted:

What kind of things do you look for in second career engineers that you don't get from new CS grads?

In order of importance of experiences most new grad CS majors don't have:

Domain knowledge in our industry.
Relevant personal projects where they solved a problem they had using similar technologies.
Understanding marketing, particularly SEO.
Understanding a sales funnel.
Have ran a business of some kind.
Understanding project management.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 13, 2019

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Friend posted:

I just discovered that my unemployment will run out in three weeks, so while I'm waiting for Uber Eats to accept my background check, I am back to seriously looking at bootcamps. My experience has been in ecommerce, basically putting the words and pictures in for things that are for sale online and making them look nice, and creating overly-complicated Excel sheets that automate my job (paste a bunch of product data in column a, get an XML file in column b that I can import into salesforce). Also lots of photoshop.

Do you feel like the landscape has changed post-covid? That is, do you think you still would have gotten "interviews with 6 companies in 5 weeks" if you did it now?

My two biggest concerns are
a) finding the right bootcamp, because even reviews of the same one will range from "A+++++ I am a millionaire now" to "my teacher sucked and I wasted thousands of dollars," and
b) figuring out what track (front end, back end, full stack, data analyst, software engineer...) I would even want to do. My limited experiences with HTML, Javascript, and Python have been relatively positive, but CSS fuckin' sucks which is ironic because my background is like 50% design. Data analysis seems like reading tea leaves and I don't even know what being a software engineer requires.

I guess the answer to A is just "research and hope" but any insight or resources you might share with either would be greatly appreciated.

There’s too much to answer in this one post.

Ive hired python interns and devs, the market seems to be cooling for entry level bootcamp quality devs across industries. That shouldn’t stop you if it’s what you want to do. The “data analyst” types that pull data to be interpreted by someone else I predict as the highest long term career risk as many companies are showing success with downskilling this and/or making it so fast it’s not a standalone job. Ie the SMEs can now do it. Getting the data IN to the systems (ETL) I’ve not seen someone solve as there’s always dragons and systems to glue together.

6 companies interviews in 5 weeks would likely require ~100 applications to relevant jobs in 3 weeks. Before I’d expect this to require around 25 applications in 3 weeks.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Friend posted:

I just did a little exploring on reddit

IMO Reddit has its own brand of cynical groupthink thats kinda like SAs but is particularly dogmatic in its opinions. Id be very wary of getting this type of input from there.