Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
I’m early/mid 30s with a PhD in a STEM-y field and a good job in industry in my field. That said I don’t see a clear path forward for career advancement. The part of my job I enjoy most is writing code (scientific python), but it’s a small part (15% of my time?) and I don’t enjoy the rest.

I’ve got a decent offer now, but I am hesitating as it’s below my current salary when I was hoping for a bump. Though I’d rather live in the new city long-term, I have a family and we would be moving away from a big support network. The job itself seems great with room to grow, but the mismatched salary expectations are tempting me to keep looking.

Has anyone taken a short-term financial hit to make this transition, and was it worth it? What’s a reasonable starting salary for someone with decent experience but it’s not all relevant? How quickly and how high can someone entering now reasonably expect to rise in the next 5-10 years (maybe the salary range of a senior dev or engineering lead)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

Do you have any software or IT experience already? What is your job now?

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

You could introduce some data-oriented Python to the meetup! Give a lightning talk on Jupyter notebooks or something.

I’m about to start my first software engineering role after leaving academia and spending two years in a customer-facing research support role. I’m a little nervous about the increased workload but the job seems like a perfect fit and I’m really excited.

I have a graduate degree but I will say the companies I’ve had offers from were absolutely interested in seeing my couple of personal projects and open source work. Bite off some small things and finish them. Don’t get too tied up in having a “good” or “original” idea. I think for portfolio pieces it’s fine to wholesale clone something that already exists (don’t copy, but rebuild it with your own design) if you want. For example I made a website (Flask) that scrapes the federal bond yields and plots them, and an iOS app for building reusable checklists.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

If you want to develop a working vocabulary and an intuitive understanding of linear algebra, I highly recommend the ”Essence of Linear Algebra” series from 3blue1brown.

As for whether you need deep LA understanding for what you want to do...it’s hard to say. I think you need to understand the concepts to know what you’re doing/why, but the actual implementation will not require much. You can certainly at least get started without that knowledge.