Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Another friend of a friend from that program who was an English major just finished the boot camp and is now making $150k for a ride share company.

I don’t know if it’s this successful everywhere, for everyone... but these dudes did not seem like the brightest bulbs in the box and yet they are making it work.

Maybe it’s just the Bay / PNW location.

It's just the general state of the market right now.

Data science is a very similar skillset as quant engineers back in 2005-2007 where joe schmo could get a MFE and start out at 120k+, then 2008 hit and the whole market died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

MickeyFinn posted:

I wasn't even lost in the recession and I'm having trouble breaking in with a physics PhD. I know it counts for nothing and I have no advice, but I feel you.

Why data science? I don’t know if the physics PhD has the same cachet there as other quant fields like finance. Hedge funds and banks love physic phds and the departments are mostly run by physic PhD who are looking for more. Field is smaller but pay is way higher.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

MickeyFinn posted:

Basically this:

coupled with the fact that I don’t really want to move to New York. Whatever cachet physics had in quantitative finance didn’t rub off on me, anyway. The only people I know who have had any luck in either field left during or directly after grad school. Only idiots like me did the work in physics while in school, the smart people did Kaggle competitions and such.

All fair points and of course the whole association with "less than savory" aspects of quantitative finance.

That being said - are you limiting yourself to just tech companies? There are plenty of manufacturing, insurance, social science charities, hell lots of places that are looking to increase their analytics capability. It would give you a chance to build your name and longer term it would help you get into a tech spot by having the experience.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

In my experience, no pun intended, being older is an advantage unless you want to work at a startup - not sure about google/Apple/amazon maybe someone has a better idea for those companies