Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

My current field has very little in terms of forward earning potential, so I signed up for a 6 month after work boot camp that I am nearly done with. It’s been a pretty cool experience, but the emphasis is absolutely on networking and a broad, quick overview with the expectation that you will invest yourself on your own time to really nail the concepts. I’ve just gotten to the part where my resume and skill level has been cleared to start applying for jobs, and we will likely being our big ‘final project’ in the next few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Suspicious Lump posted:

How much did part-time bootcamp cost you? I've been considering this option actually.

A bit over 6k. The school partnered with several companies to offer loans, which was helpful. It would’ve probably always been a pipedream, except I had colleague with the same non-tech degree, who left my current work abruptly to do a full time boot camp, and I was able to pick his brain about it. He was employed shortly after the boot camp ended, and seems to be much happier.

I’m going to start applying to jobs, but I’d probably be more comfortable until after I graduated to look in earnest. So far, there looks to be a pretty good number of entry level/junior developer positions that want basically what we’ve been taught.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Minor update: I had a round of mock interviews with my bootcamp. This was probably a 2 way street thing, where they vetted our technical interviewing skills but also made sure we weren't going to embarrass the company going out into the wild.

The next day I had a phone interview with a medium-sized company, who said they'd pass on a recommendation to the team. I submitted about 10 applications over the past 2 weeks, with that being the only positive response. It would be a back end developer job, but focused on sql, so I should probably bone up on that. Its for sure a mindfuck to actually think about leaving my current field, but it's a 20% bump in pay and sounds like a good place to start.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Last few weeks of my bootcamp are pretty intense. I’m doing a few phone interviews a week, and finically getting the hang of answering technical questions with confidence but I should probably keep reviewing notes and doing practice problems. We were also slotted into our groups for the final project, which is given as a demo in front of all the tech companies in town. The only two people booted out of the camp for failing the final exam were in my group, so it’s just me and another person, which is probably a good thing. All of this while doing my full time regular job means it’s pretty stressful.

It seems the bootcamp waited until the final culling of students to start recommending our names to their network of employers, so thats pretty cool.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

pokie posted:

Hang in there, buddy. I hope it works out for you.

Out of curiosity - did they give you any useful interview prep?

Yea, we had a few rounds of mock-formal interviews with some of the directors, who provided jobs and roles at different types of companies to practice aiming for their level of casualness/professionalism. We also had some technical interview prep, where we were given direct feedback and suggestions. Still, I’m very used to soft-science interviews, and it’s stressful to have to recall and nail technical details.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Quick update! My bootcamp ends this week and it looks like our project will be good to go on ‘demo day’. I accepted an offer from one of the bigger companies in the area, pending a background check. It would start at nearly twice my current salary, though I do have to give up a lot of flexibility and work the 9 to 5, whereas now I probably only work about 30 hr per week.

I suspect that the bootcamp itself is pretty heavily involved in the process, as the HR manager at the bootcamp has been recommending specific people to specific companies where he thinks they would be a good fit. My interview with them went pretty dang well, and they seemed to know what level of technical questions would be best to still be a challenge, probably because they are fed a lot of bootcamp grads.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Suspicious Lump posted:

Did you mention what bootcamp you are/were doing? Can you tell us?

It was Grand Circus in Detroit. Since starting, I’ve been uselessly bombarded with ads from other companies in the area, and looking at them, they all have their pros and cons. I would imagine that very few of them have the networking GC does though.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

pokie posted:

TBH this sounds like a terrible idea. From my understanding the value that boot camps bring is less in what they teach you and more in the employer network they have. If the camp is not local, what use is their network to you? I suppose you could uproot and move etc.

Yea, as someone who just changed careers, this is 100% true. every entry level position is still going to assume you know nothing and the biggest leg up you have is the pipeline of employers and events your bootcamp should feed you. An online program might heavily suggest that you attend meetups or suggest hot companies in your area, but it’s very different than meeting employers face to face weekly in a structured environment.

Entering month 3 of gainful employment, still going good and feeling confident in my choice.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Danger Slut posted:

Non tech unionized job where I've maxed out my potential income, and has the spectre of automation/ai just over the horizon .
I dabbled in webdev back in 2015-2016 I was able to learn some javascript/node/jquery/rubyonrails, and mysql/ mongodb; but at the time I was comfortable with my job and did not pursue web dev beyond dipping my toes in tutorials and documentation , and I have not worked on any projects since that time.

I took a deeper look at thinkful's website and it looks like they actually do have a presence in Phila https://www.thinkful.com/about/#locations ,
and while General Assembly does not have a presence here a quick Amtrak ride(s) to NYC is within my means to attend networking events. As far as moving my wife has been suggesting that she wants to move closer to family in Charlotte soon, and the work I do here pays a fraction of what I make down South, which is another reason I'm looking for a career change. We're both are originally from NYC/Long Island so a move back to NYC could happen too.

I'll take a look at that. I didn't know upenn had any offerings, thank you.

Which program did you take? What were the networking sessions like?

Danger Slut posted:

Non tech unionized job where I've maxed out my potential income, and has the spectre of automation/ai just over the horizon .
I dabbled in webdev back in 2015-2016 I was able to learn some javascript/node/jquery/rubyonrails, and mysql/ mongodb; but at the time I was comfortable with my job and did not pursue web dev beyond dipping my toes in tutorials and documentation , and I have not worked on any projects since that time.

I took a deeper look at thinkful's website and it looks like they actually do have a presence in Phila https://www.thinkful.com/about/#locations ,
and while General Assembly does not have a presence here a quick Amtrak ride(s) to NYC is within my means to attend networking events. As far as moving my wife has been suggesting that she wants to move closer to family in Charlotte soon, and the work I do here pays a fraction of what I make down South, which is another reason I'm looking for a career change. We're both are originally from NYC/Long Island so a move back to NYC could happen too.

I'll take a look at that. I didn't know upenn had any offerings, thank you.

Which program did you take? What were the networking sessions like?

It was a full stack program, but focused on backend development. They were one of a few physical bootcamps in my area. The networking events were at the bootcamp and were typically presentations/q&a’s thrown by company recruiters or reps, followed by quick meet and greets. It was good for making a good first impression. We were also able to demo our projects for companies, and explaining the project and the code for recruiters helped garner additional attention.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Hey! Yea, sorry I missed that. I am at one of the bigger mortgage companies in the area. I guess I should also mention something that didn't occur to me in this job transition is that software development, at least at my company, requires a pretty significant understanding of the industry you are developing for, and how your company operates in that space. As opposed to retail, or social work stuff like I was doing before, you could get by with a thin understanding of the business, people skills and building your skill set.

At my new position, the nuts and bolts of how we navigate the loan process is vital to writing functional software, and there are an absolutely huge amount of things to keep in mind. It's pretty drat interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

JS\html front end stuff, .net c#, and standard sql stuff. They mentioned, but never explored alternative database options.