Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I'm in one right now coming from a background in law. I think experience and expectations would vary wildly from city to city and camp to camp.

I talked to several employers before making a decision and got answers ranging from we don't hire from bootcamps to we will accept resumes from X bootcamp to we have hired from X bootcamp before.

I'm going in with the expectation that I'll find a Jr dev job at a startup or a law job that can involve coding.

I also think that over time the value prop has changed, at least in my city, from bootcamps being accelerators for people that can already program to providing a synergy for someone who is a SME in another field. I fall into the latter group and it was 100% the right decision for me to quit my job to do this as I was miserable in my law job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

What kind of things do you look for in second career engineers that you don't get from new CS grads?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I'll be starting as a jr software engineer in January after graduating from a boot camp in Vancouver this past October. AMA.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

TropicalCoke posted:

I'm about midway thru a program. How was the job search? Located in Austin btw

I found it very positive, I had interviews with 6 companies in 5 weeks, 3 from my own applications and 3 from employers reaching out to the bootcamp for grads. Ended up with two good offers.

I'm the only one I know of that got hired from my own applications. 4 others got lucky and got hired from leads. Everyone else I think is being too passive to wait for bootcamp leads, imho.

It probably has no bearing at all on your job market though.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Is anyone still trying to do this? I know it's tough out there, so I wanted to offer to to have a chat with anyone struggling. Crazy to see that I'm 4 years in now and in my 40s.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

The landscape has definitely changed, but not so much post COVID but post-free money. I definitely think I would not get the same number of interviews now as I did then. Even now with 4 years of experience I'm finding it hard to get interviews.

I would just ignore reviews for bootcamps. The real proof is what the graduates are actually doing with their lives. Find the alumni on LinkedIn and reach out to them. The more recent experience they have, the better-- the cohort from 4 years ago might have a very different experience than from last year.

When starting out, don't worry too much about specializing. Your goal should be just to land your first job. Personally I think it's easier to land a role if you are able to build something full-stack because you can build an application top to bottom.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

The other thing is I think long term it's still a good investment to make in yourself to develop the skill set, particularly if you actually enjoy the work. It just might not be an immediate payoff like it has been in recent years.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I was lucky to have done an in person one immediately before COVID. I got so much more value out of the networking and in person learning than the following cohorts that were all remote. My bootcamp doesn't have returning to in-person on their roadmap at all (they are charging the same without any of the office overhead) and I think the value that current students are getting is much lower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

It's really tough at the beginning when you aren't getting responses from your resume because it's not easy to distinguish between "I don't have the right profile" and "the market sucks" when you are getting zero feedback.

What gave me a big boost in knowledge was when I was applying to a bazillion jobs and able to A/B test different things in my resume to get a sense of what was working and what wasn't.

It might need a bit of thick skin, but have you posted your resume for feedback in the resume thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553582

If you're not ready for that I am happy to take a look privately (DM me a link).