Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger Slut
Sep 11, 2001
I hope I'm not breaking any rules for reviving an old thread. I'm considering taking a Data Science boot camp to change careers before the end of the year and I would like to know what experiences people have had with the programs they've taken, I'm really only open to taking a part time/ online boot camps because I can't quit my job with a wife and kid at home, and I live in Philly and I don't think there are any philly based bootcamps.

As of right now I'm leaning toward thinkful's 6 month online program which would cost just under $8,000 with a full prepayment, around $10,000 if I took a loan out, thinkful does offer a tuition refund if you don't find a job in the industry 6 months after completing the coursework thinkful also offers career support to help you find a job. I'm also looking into General Assembly's 2 month online program that has 3 hour classes twice a week not including 15- 20 hours of pre-work, and other time devoted to the class projects with a total cost of about $4,000, General assembly does not offer any career support, or any sort of tuition refund.

General Assembly seems like it covers less , but I feel like I would have an easier time with something that has the weekly structure like general assembly's twice weekly classes . Thinkful is mostly self taught with weekly check -ins with mentors which would require more will power on my end, but is a longer process and more expensive. Would I be able to Min/Max myself into a job with a General Assembly's program, or would everyone recommend taking Thinkful's longer program that covers more topics?

General Assembly's syllabus : https://tinyurl.com/y6mrl87u
Thinkful's syllabus https://tinyurl.com/y6mrl87u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Slut
Sep 11, 2001

Sobriquet posted:

Do you have any software or IT experience already? What is your job now?

Non tech unionized job where I've maxed out my potential income, and has the spectre of automation/ai just over the horizon .
I dabbled in webdev back in 2015-2016 I was able to learn some javascript/node/jquery/rubyonrails, and mysql/ mongodb; but at the time I was comfortable with my job and did not pursue web dev beyond dipping my toes in tutorials and documentation , and I have not worked on any projects since that time.

pokie posted:

TBH this sounds like a terrible idea. From my understanding the value that boot camps bring is less in what they teach you and more in the employer network they have. If the camp is not local, what use is their network to you? I suppose you could uproot and move etc.

I took a deeper look at thinkful's website and it looks like they actually do have a presence in Phila https://www.thinkful.com/about/#locations ,
and while General Assembly does not have a presence here a quick Amtrak ride(s) to NYC is within my means to attend networking events. As far as moving my wife has been suggesting that she wants to move closer to family in Charlotte soon, and the work I do here pays a fraction of what I make down South, which is another reason I'm looking for a career change. We're both are originally from NYC/Long Island so a move back to NYC could happen too.

I'll take a look at that. I didn't know upenn had any offerings, thank you.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Yea, as someone who just changed careers, this is 100% true. every entry level position is still going to assume you know nothing and the biggest leg up you have is the pipeline of employers and events your bootcamp should feed you. An online program might heavily suggest that you attend meetups or suggest hot companies in your area, but it’s very different than meeting employers face to face weekly in a structured environment.

Entering month 3 of gainful employment, still going good and feeling confident in my choice.

Which program did you take? What were the networking sessions like?

Danger Slut
Sep 11, 2001

meanolmrcloud posted:

It was a full stack program, but focused on backend development. They were one of a few physical bootcamps in my area. The networking events were at the bootcamp and were typically presentations/q&a’s thrown by company recruiters or reps, followed by quick meet and greets. It was good for making a good first impression. We were also able to demo our projects for companies, and explaining the project and the code for recruiters helped garner additional attention.

What stack did GC focus on? Maybe I can save myself a few thousand dollars by brushing on my JavaScript, sql/mongo, buidling a few projects on GitHub, and exposing myself to a newer stack.