Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
This game

was made by these people

15 years ago. And I'm going to play it for you, internet.

Streams related to this LP:
-Collecting gaps and cash icons

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Glad to see you make your return.

Now I remember, I knew I had seen someone play this game but could not find where that happened. That's why I thought it was you who did it before looking at the Archive and Master List.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 1, 2017

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Oh man, I was just thinking about your LPs the other day, really glad to see you back. I only played THPS4 for the first time about a year ago and thought the new system wasn't as good as 3 and didn't really put that much effort into the game, so it'll be nice to see your take on it.

Rebellious Pawn
Apr 25, 2008
Yeesh, I haven't seen you since 2008. I liked you then and I'll probably like what you do now. I look forward to the feelings of nostalgia from early 2000s skater culture.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The midis really make this all the more special. I didn't even know there was a Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 so I am psyched to learn all about its supposed existence.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Good old Ollie the magic bum.

At least this isn't THPS5 where you're get a loving demo disk for the price of a full game that needed a patch bigger than what was on the disk itself to even function.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Man, Ollie has some amazing voice acting, I wonder if that guy has done other roles. It's nice that they tried to add stuff to change up the gameplay but drat, that tennis minigame looked dire. I'm suddenly reminded of THUG and how it added vehicle sections.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
The particularly bad thing about the tennis game is that the opponent hitting the ball sometimes triggers your skater's swing animation as if you pressed the button, and you can't move for a moment.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Quit beggin for comments, son. poo poo's unseemly.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Hot drat, this is a nice surprise. Jamesman, your older let's plays are absolute classics. I love the informative yet casual tone you always go for. I was a little bit unconvinced about the substituted music, until I noticed that the number of the beast was playing. Looking forward to more.

Crane Fist posted:

Quit beggin for comments, son. poo poo's unseemly.

This is also my main complaint

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I remember playing this when I was 13 and making a custom skater with a tiny skirt and the largest tits possible

Also it got me into the Distillers so that was cool

AnxiousSloth
Jul 22, 2007
Red and filled with butter, just like nature intended
Any chance you'll upload your Tony Hawks 1-3 videos to Youtube at any point?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

AnxiousSloth posted:

Any chance you'll upload your Tony Hawks 1-3 videos to Youtube at any point?

Nah. The licensed music would be a nightmare for YouTube, and the video quality isn't really worth putting up on YouTube anyway. They're archived though, if you really wanna watch them again.

AnxiousSloth
Jul 22, 2007
Red and filled with butter, just like nature intended
I had thought Dailymotion went the way of Viddler and all the other video steaming services. I guess I'll be binge watching these again.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Even if they were gone from all video hosts, all my old playthrough are archived on The Internet Archive where they shouldn't be disappearing from anytime soon.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Oh, you're back. With a new LP, it seems.

I never played this version of the game. We had the PlayStation 1 version of this game, nothing like this; kinda just more of the same from the previous iterations of this series.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I had no idea that guy was actually a voice actor, now I just feel like a big silly. My hat's off to you, Wally.

On another note, that lady's husband has an amazing mustache.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
Is there Jump The Shark gap?
Please tell me there is Jump the Shark gap. That shark was so set up for gapping.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm really bad at these games. I couldn't do knocking all the Jocks down because I couldn't get the timing on the "switch+manual landing to keep the combo" thing off a quarter pipe. The only Tony Hawk game I ever beat was American Wasteland, because that one formally taught me how to do the switch landing so I knew the timing. I've also always been terrible at holding manuals/grinds in these games.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 3, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Took the holiday weekend to try out some things. You might notice this video is 60fps, but unfortunately it's not something I can do for later videos because my computer doesn't have the power for it. But hey, I tried.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I wasn't bothered by it since you haven't done an LP in several years.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I don't really know very much about skateboarding other than these games (Which I'm sure are very accurate to real life), but I do know that Rodney Mullen does more insane things in real life than you can make him do in the game. Apparently he invented the Kickflip of all things?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Momomo posted:

I don't really know very much about skateboarding other than these games (Which I'm sure are very accurate to real life), but I do know that Rodney Mullen does more insane things in real life than you can make him do in the game. Apparently he invented the Kickflip of all things?

A lot of what are now considered basics and staples of skateboarding are attributed to him inventing them, yeah. Tony's got his own share of credits.

Skateboarding (and skateboards) used to be a lot different, so people weren't doing air and flip tricks like they are now. It was a lot more flatland and bowl shredding.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I've been to a skate park exactly once. Never again, because I'm not into those kinds of sports anymore.

Or sports in general.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Has anyone besides me seen that direct-to-DVD movie Tony Hawk in Boom Boom Sabotage?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chimera-gui posted:

Has anyone besides me seen that direct-to-DVD movie Tony Hawk in Boom Boom Sabotage?

I didn't even know this existed. Found it on YouTube though, so I'm going to attempt a watch.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I enjoy Bam's antics. I also enjoyed his show, which involved no skateboarding, only shenanigans.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
OK I don't know what I expected with this movie, but it's really bad. Curse you, Chimera!

bman in 2288 posted:

I enjoy Bam's antics. I also enjoyed his show, which involved no skateboarding, only shenanigans.

You're gonna love Tony Hawk's Underground 2 then.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Jamesman posted:

OK I don't know what I expected with this movie, but it's really bad. Curse you, Chimera!

I'm surprised no one has made a riff on this movie cause it is hilariously bad.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bman in 2288 posted:

Bam was the highlight of Jackass 3D. From his flying leap across the room when getting hit in the rear end by a cattle prod, to the crew crashing his parents' house and you get this lovely bit where you get to see how chill Bam's parents are.

It's funny, as a kid I thought Jackass was just the absolute worst poo poo ever, but then I watched the movies on Netflix a couple years ago and it was some of the funniest stuff I've seen in my life.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

http://i.imgur.com/J2O2cQS.gifv

me, watching this

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

I played this a lot back in the day. I even bought the PS2 Ethernet adapter so I could play online.

I know when they took the servers down some dedicated fans made their own. I don't know how it works but it's super rad. I wonder if they are still playing today?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
When I complain about Bam, I'm complaining about the version of him in this game (and later games). The missions they associate with him lean heavily into his Jackass/MTV persona, which doesn't always have much to do with skateboarding, but it's in a skateboarding game. It can get kind of annoying, like the mission in this last video, or one we will be seeing later on.

NinetySevenA posted:

I played this a lot back in the day. I even bought the PS2 Ethernet adapter so I could play online.

I know when they took the servers down some dedicated fans made their own. I don't know how it works but it's super rad. I wonder if they are still playing today?

In my research, it seems that people are definitely still playing Tony Hawk games online.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Bam was the highlight of Jackass 3D. From his flying leap across the room when getting hit in the rear end by a cattle prod, to the crew crashing his parents' house and you get this lovely bit where you get to see how chill Bam's parents are.

It's funny, as a kid I thought Jackass was just the absolute worst poo poo ever, but then I watched the movies on Netflix a couple years ago and it was some of the funniest stuff I've seen in my life.

I think one of the funniest and nicest things about Jackass 3D was that everyone was sober this time around. Being supportive of one of the gang trying to kick the habit. And that just makes the antics that much more funny, because now they're aware of how terrible these ideas are, and you can see it on their faces.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I'm not there quite yet, but regarding the cash icons and gaps; Would anyone be interested in watching me just doing a couple of chill streams to collect these? Would probably be in another week or two, once I have maxed stats.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I'd be down for some Tony Hawk streaming.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Should have expected you'd start putting kpop in the soundtrack.

e: Just reached the point in episode 5 where you actually start talking about it. You're telling me you could skate around as Lee Hyori in Tony Hawk's pro skater!?

sharktamer fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

sharktamer posted:

You're telling me you could skate around as Lee Hyori in Tony Hawk's pro skater!?

Yes.

Here's Rad Rat's video for that version of the game.
https://youtu.be/rk5d8PGsaIM

• Locked thread