Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'd totally be down for some streaming of the Tony Hawk's.

Overall this level looks kinda boring, to be totally honest. I guess it's because every other level already caters to skateboards, so when the level gimmick is "a place for skateboards" it doesn't seem that interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
It's a recreation of a real-life skatepark in a game that plays very fast and loose with real-life skateboarding, so it is a pretty boring level as a result. They've had real-life places in previous games, but since the levels were smaller or they used smaller parks, they felt really busy and interesting as a result.

I'm sure Kona is a great place to check out if you're a skater, but in a video game with crazy physics, it's very lacking.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I really liked upgrading the Skate Park in American Wasteland. Did you ever play that one Jamesman?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Yep. I have all the main games in the series except THPS5.

I remember THAW being pretty fun, if a bit bloated.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I actually really liked the story of that one because you end up going from fighting the machine to having to join the machine when you need to buy back the land at the end so you can keep the park. It's an interesting reversal of the usual types of stories.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Jamesman posted:

Yep. I have all the main games in the series except THPS5.

I hear that one feels like Tony Hawk HD, and if that's true this hoool boy is it bad. I've heard nothing but bad things about it, which is is just so drat sad considering how much fun I had with these games as a kid.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Momomo posted:

I hear that one feels like Tony Hawk HD, and if that's true this hoool boy is it bad. I've heard nothing but bad things about it, which is is just so drat sad considering how much fun I had with these games as a kid.

Oh yeah, I forgot about THPS HD. Never played that one either.

Seeing those games in action made me sad, and after Proving Ground I was kinda burnt out on the series anyway. Maybe I'll play them in the future, as a joke. On myself.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Momomo posted:

Eh, sort of. The problem with Tony Hawk HD is that the physics and controls feel completely off to the point it's really difficult to pull off cool combos. THPS5 is an improvement on that, the problem is literally everything else from the uninspired level design to the constant glitches that make the game near unplayable. Then there's the new slam drop feature which stops all of your momentum in the air and makes you drop down to the ground fast, which would be kind of useful if it weren't for the fact that it's mapped to the grind button, which means the game never knows correctly if you want to drop down or want to grind and you can forget about wall grinds too.

Jamesman posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about THPS HD. Never played that one either.

Seeing those games in action made me sad, and after Proving Ground I was kinda burnt out on the series anyway. Maybe I'll play them in the future, as a joke. On myself.

I'm almost tempted to track down a PC copy of THUG 2 just for the THUG Pro mod, which I hear is pretty good and has built up a bit of an online community. If you ever plan to do the later Tony Hawk games, it might be a fun thing to show off.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Stream the gaps and cash, then post the streams here unedited for those of us who like long chill videos to half watch while we do other poo poo.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

Stream the gaps and cash, then post the streams here unedited for those of us who like long chill videos to half watch while we do other poo poo.

I think the streams would be saved on Twitch, so I could just link to those?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

There's no shame in having to try these missions more than once. The nature of the game is pretty improvised to begin with, so performing a line perfectly every time wouldn't be as interesting to watch anyway.

Having Combo and Skate missions separately seems kind of redundant by this point, especially when the SKATE letters are usually in a line anyway. They might as well have just focused on Combo.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Jamesman posted:

I think the streams would be saved on Twitch, so I could just link to those?

Twitch doesn't keep those videos for long. Best to upload to YouTube to keep those videos around.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
To save videos on twitch: First enable VODs on your account in your settings, then when you finish a stream go to 'manage videos' and you can make the full stream into a highlight which will stick around forever instead of 14 days. Then you can export the full stream to your YT channel automatically.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Momomo posted:

There's no shame in having to try these missions more than once. The nature of the game is pretty improvised to begin with, so performing a line perfectly every time wouldn't be as interesting to watch anyway.

Having Combo and Skate missions separately seems kind of redundant by this point, especially when the SKATE letters are usually in a line anyway. They might as well have just focused on Combo.

I refresh myself so I know what to do, but being able to replicate it every time is difficult to do. I figured it made the most sense to show failures to an extent, then edit things out until I complete a mission proper.

SKATE and COMBO have enough different to them to warrant being separate missions. SKATE is like an item hunt around a level (which makes it more redundant with OTHER item hunts), while COMBO is about keeping a line going and not loving up.

bman in 2288 posted:

Twitch doesn't keep those videos for long. Best to upload to YouTube to keep those videos around.

I'm not sure if they'd be worth keeping for the long-term though. And I also don't know what I'd do about the soundtrack. I figured I could stream the game with music on Twitch, but if I intend to re-upload on YouTube, then that would be a problem. Plus, streaming AND recording at the same time would obviously be a drain on my computer's resources.

CJacobs posted:

To save videos on twitch: First enable VODs on your account in your settings, then when you finish a stream go to 'manage videos' and you can make the full stream into a highlight which will stick around forever instead of 14 days. Then you can export the full stream to your YT channel automatically.

Will keep this in mind. Thanks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You could just turn the music off and possibly put on a playlist of your own. Depends on how much effort you'd want to go to. v:shobon:v

edit: Unless you can't turn the game's music off and you've been getting rid of it manually, in which case god help us all welcome to ska-pop-punk hell :unsmigghh:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
No, I can turn it off. It's just would people want to hang out in such a quiet stream/watch such a quiet video?

Even if I made a playlist I'd imagine I'd have the same issues with copyright because it's all still licensed music. Unless I did more MIDIs or something.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Yesssss, a Jamesman LP! It's been forever since I've seen one of these, and I never thought I'd get to watch another!

For what it's worth, I liked the comment of the day. :shobon:

e: drat, I forgot how friggin' hard this game can get. I must have repressed the entirety of that shipyard level because the memories are coming back and it is terrible

FisheyStix fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 12, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
It gets a lot, lot worse.

Pro Challenges

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Specific authored female protagonists are still relatively rare, especially great ones, but things are better than they used to be, especially in ensemble games like this - and where things don't improve, people complain about it much more visibly. Just try putting a character like Carrera or Daisy in an Activision game today and see what kind of reception you get online. Developers and publishers aren't stupid. They do listen to your feedback, and it does affect the decisions they make in the future. When it's a huge AAA game from a giant faceless corporation, it can feel like you're impotently shouting into the wind, but it does make a difference.

To name some specific big-budget games of the last couple of years that I suspect have been directly improved in that way, I'd mention Agents of Mayhem, Overwatch, Civ 6, and For Honor. The influence isn't always obvious, and it's rarely as much as we'd like, but it's real and it's important.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I'm going to do a stream this weekend to go on a cash and gap hunt. Most likely Satuday evening EST, but I'll have a more definite time in the next day or two.

In the meantime, feel free to go follow my channel in advance.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

You might want to lower your sound for the zoo level. The animal noises cut in and out and are a much higher volume than the other game sounds, so you will hear some sharp screeches and roars. I tried to lower some of the noises in editing, but I could only do so much.

Also, Saturday stream will start between 7pm and 8pm EST. Hope to see a few folks there.

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god
The animal noises in this level are the stuff of young me's nightmares. I almost entirely forgot about them until this LP.

Especially those penguins. :cry:

vvvv- Oh, no worries, I was more commenting on the game than your awesome video(s). The sound is pretty much as good as it could be from what I remember.

That Spooky Witch fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 15, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, sorry. They are just SO loud, and they try to trigger when you are in the vicinity of an animal, and will cut out abruptly if you get too far away. So you have these random grunts and screeches that sound like someone is murdering sea lions right next to you.

I tried to lower the volume in places, but in others spots there was just too much going on that the other game sounds would have basically been muted. I tried to make it as normalized as I could.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Am I the only one seeing this?

https://i.imgur.com/KD3oAhr.gifv

Loving the videos. They're a treat to watch, and the quick update schedule is great.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to get a video out every day, but a few things have come up that complicated things. Usually if something happens, I'll post on my Twitter about it.

(Still in the Zoo. Still be aware of volume fuckery.)

Hope to see some people around tomorrow night for the chill stream!

GameNerdz
Sep 13, 2017

I found your thread a few days ago and have been watching videos you put up since then.

I use to have this game at my Biological Fathers place, never got really far into it (College level), so Its awesome being able to see what I missed out on.

Keep up the good work man! Its very Interesting!

Also excited for the live stream tonight.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.twitch.tv/jpg_live

I'm here and setting up.

Edit: Had a lot of fun doing a chill stream and having you guys try and guess the midi songs I was using. Hoping to do another stream sometime this coming week, so I hope you guys are down for another couple sessions of James' Pro loving Up at Videogames.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 17, 2017

GameNerdz
Sep 13, 2017

It was fun while I could watch. Hopefully next time my little sister won't suck up the bandwith.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I really struggled with the Carnival. Way more than I probably should have. I'm just not a big fan of some of the missions here and the layout of the level in general. :/

I also exported last night's stream to YouTube, but I want to review it first before I publish it, so maybe that'll go live tomorrow if you wanna watch a 2-hour video of the worst gameplay you've ever seen.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Here's the recording of Saturday's stream.
https://youtu.be/MXNW6MTWfRo

You should also be able to watch it on my Twitch channel if you like.

The audio levels are not the same as when I record, so the balance might be a little off or a bit louder than the other videos. I'll try to adjust that more for the next stream, which will actually be this Wednesday, starting between 7pm and 8pm EST. Had a nice group of people last time, and hopefully we can have another chill stream in the middle of the week.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Partially because of this thread I've started messing around in Classic Mode on American Wasteland. I tend to be bad at these games though, I beat the story of that game, but the second classic levels 200000 point goal is giving me trouble, although on the run that got me the pro score I ended up at 195000 which was really annoying. Also, I tend to watch streams after the fact due to being in the UK so most streams are middle of the night on a work night for me, so I'll probably watch the next archive on thursday or something. Looking forward to it though.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Getting set up now. Come on in and let's have some fun!

Edit: OK it doesn't look like this is happening tonight. Are weekends better, then?

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 21, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I'm considering trying to do a stream Saturday night, starting between 7pm and 8pm EST (like last week). I'd really appreciate it if you guys could let me know if you'll be around or not.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

It's a shame most of these pro missions seem to be exactly the same as normal missions. It feels like the developers didn't really understand how easily abusable this game's systems are, which is strange after four games.

Jamesman posted:

Edit: OK it doesn't look like this is happening tonight. Are weekends better, then?

Yeah, I ended up not being able to see your last one cause of work. Weekends are probably easier for me to do.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I completely forgot about the stream, so my bad! Weekend is cool, loving what you're doing.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Momomo posted:

It's a shame most of these pro missions seem to be exactly the same as normal missions. It feels like the developers didn't really understand how easily abusable this game's systems are, which is strange after four games.

They're typically not very difficult, and some of them can be laughably easy, but if you were to play the game differently, they are just the right level of difficulty.

This could be someone's first Tony Hawk game, or they might play more casually and not systematically clear out each level. Asking someone to do a more difficult COMBO mission, get a higher point score, locate things in a level you might not be overtly familiar with, etc. Those are all in line with a new tier of difficulty. But since those goals are locked behind doing a skater mission, they come off as not asking enough of a player that just completed a single line while everything is exploding around them... or worse.

Getting skilled enough and high enough stats to complete a particularly brutal missions ends up making these missions look a lot simpler as a result. I don't think the missions are bad necessarily, just badly placed in the timeline of when you access them.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 22, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Also remember I'm doing a stream a few hours from now! Starting between 7pm and 8pm EST. And you don't need to watch the video ahead of time since we're just doing gaps and cash, which isn't related to mission progress or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm on and waiting for things to fill up. Come join in.

Had a fun stream tonight. Thanks to those of you who could come hang out and watch me clear another 3 levels. :)

The tentative plan right now is to finish off the cash and goals tomorrow night, same time. I'll let you guys know if that changes, but expect that for the moment.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 24, 2017

• Locked thread