Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm really bad at these games. I couldn't do knocking all the Jocks down because I couldn't get the timing on the "switch+manual landing to keep the combo" thing off a quarter pipe. The only Tony Hawk game I ever beat was American Wasteland, because that one formally taught me how to do the switch landing so I knew the timing. I've also always been terrible at holding manuals/grinds in these games.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I really liked upgrading the Skate Park in American Wasteland. Did you ever play that one Jamesman?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I actually really liked the story of that one because you end up going from fighting the machine to having to join the machine when you need to buy back the land at the end so you can keep the park. It's an interesting reversal of the usual types of stories.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Partially because of this thread I've started messing around in Classic Mode on American Wasteland. I tend to be bad at these games though, I beat the story of that game, but the second classic levels 200000 point goal is giving me trouble, although on the run that got me the pro score I ended up at 195000 which was really annoying. Also, I tend to watch streams after the fact due to being in the UK so most streams are middle of the night on a work night for me, so I'll probably watch the next archive on thursday or something. Looking forward to it though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked you accidentally unmuting the youtube video showing the world that the person helping you get the last few gaps was like, 12 years old. :3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something really annoying with these games is that sometimes the gaps seem impossible. In THAW I'm trying to get the manual-the-red-carpet gap in classic mode Minneapolis, but even getting special, maxing out my speed, air and manual and building momentum I just cannot get the manual all the way inside the theatre, because at the end there are a lot of stairs to go up and it kills my momentum too much. So annoying. Although I'm getting better at using special tricks in the Mall trying to get the 300000 point sick score, I just need to get more consistent with them, as I can get combos of 60/70 thousand plus, just not consistently.

Also I like how that game did showing where the gaps are. It left it to you entirely to figure it out, but once it's been done once it puts a screenshot of the gap in the background when it's highlighted in the list so you can remember for if you want to do it again.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 27, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Jamesman posted:

You'll get there buddy. I believe in you. :) Have you tried doing the manual in the opposite direction? Going down the stairs will build up momentum and carry you further than trying to start out on flat land and go uphill.

Including gaps in the game always seemed to be of two minds. Like some are designed to be included in combos to build up points and your multiplier, but then you have other gaps that are clearly in there just as an accomplishment.

You were right. I was misreading the guides, they all said from the theatre entrance, so I thought they meant the entrance to the theatre building then entering it. They meant the entrance to the theatre as in screen within the movie theatre, aka the top of the stairs, as I found in a video - I just started the manual too late each time exiting the theatre. I now have all the gaps in Minneapolis! Yay! That video helped me find the rest, the rest were relatively easy.

Here's a diagram to show my confusion - I thought the guides meant the Building Entrance, due to in my mind that being the entrance to the theatre building. it meant the entrance to the actual auditorium within the theatre, marked at the top. The stairs are markes showing where my progress was hampered. The external box was to help me keep things to scale, the lines within it are the walls of the theatre that only exist to be level boundaries.

The burgundy rectangle is the red carpet

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 27, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Why is Tony Hawk such a successful cameo actor? He always has the best lines :v: /skatingpuns

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I thought the Jim Carrey Riddler = Tom Hardy Bane jokes were amazing. "Nobody cared who I was until I put on the mask.... then I was smooookinnn'" :3:

Also the shopping cart thing looks really dumb. At least American Wasteland's BMX stuff had unique and interesting controls, and even though the missions involving it were right at the end they knew you probably didn't have any experience with them and gave you really easy BMX missions compared to that stage of the game's skateboarding missions.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Jay, figured you'd enjoy this if you haven't seen it already - from two years ago, Tony Hawk figuring out how to skate the first ever downward spiral loop. He basically has to figure out the physics behind it before he can work out what movements to make. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaf8zHp-iaY He doesn't even know if it will be skateable at the beginning, but drat it he's gonna try.

• Locked thread