Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
This game

was made by these people

15 years ago. And I'm going to play it for you, internet.

Streams related to this LP:
-Collecting gaps and cash icons

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
The particularly bad thing about the tennis game is that the opponent hitting the ball sometimes triggers your skater's swing animation as if you pressed the button, and you can't move for a moment.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

AnxiousSloth posted:

Any chance you'll upload your Tony Hawks 1-3 videos to Youtube at any point?

Nah. The licensed music would be a nightmare for YouTube, and the video quality isn't really worth putting up on YouTube anyway. They're archived though, if you really wanna watch them again.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Even if they were gone from all video hosts, all my old playthrough are archived on The Internet Archive where they shouldn't be disappearing from anytime soon.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Took the holiday weekend to try out some things. You might notice this video is 60fps, but unfortunately it's not something I can do for later videos because my computer doesn't have the power for it. But hey, I tried.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Momomo posted:

I don't really know very much about skateboarding other than these games (Which I'm sure are very accurate to real life), but I do know that Rodney Mullen does more insane things in real life than you can make him do in the game. Apparently he invented the Kickflip of all things?

A lot of what are now considered basics and staples of skateboarding are attributed to him inventing them, yeah. Tony's got his own share of credits.

Skateboarding (and skateboards) used to be a lot different, so people weren't doing air and flip tricks like they are now. It was a lot more flatland and bowl shredding.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chimera-gui posted:

Has anyone besides me seen that direct-to-DVD movie Tony Hawk in Boom Boom Sabotage?

I didn't even know this existed. Found it on YouTube though, so I'm going to attempt a watch.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
OK I don't know what I expected with this movie, but it's really bad. Curse you, Chimera!

bman in 2288 posted:

I enjoy Bam's antics. I also enjoyed his show, which involved no skateboarding, only shenanigans.

You're gonna love Tony Hawk's Underground 2 then.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
When I complain about Bam, I'm complaining about the version of him in this game (and later games). The missions they associate with him lean heavily into his Jackass/MTV persona, which doesn't always have much to do with skateboarding, but it's in a skateboarding game. It can get kind of annoying, like the mission in this last video, or one we will be seeing later on.

NinetySevenA posted:

I played this a lot back in the day. I even bought the PS2 Ethernet adapter so I could play online.

I know when they took the servers down some dedicated fans made their own. I don't know how it works but it's super rad. I wonder if they are still playing today?

In my research, it seems that people are definitely still playing Tony Hawk games online.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I'm not there quite yet, but regarding the cash icons and gaps; Would anyone be interested in watching me just doing a couple of chill streams to collect these? Would probably be in another week or two, once I have maxed stats.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

sharktamer posted:

You're telling me you could skate around as Lee Hyori in Tony Hawk's pro skater!?

Yes.

Here's Rad Rat's video for that version of the game.
https://youtu.be/rk5d8PGsaIM

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's a recreation of a real-life skatepark in a game that plays very fast and loose with real-life skateboarding, so it is a pretty boring level as a result. They've had real-life places in previous games, but since the levels were smaller or they used smaller parks, they felt really busy and interesting as a result.

I'm sure Kona is a great place to check out if you're a skater, but in a video game with crazy physics, it's very lacking.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yep. I have all the main games in the series except THPS5.

I remember THAW being pretty fun, if a bit bloated.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Momomo posted:

I hear that one feels like Tony Hawk HD, and if that's true this hoool boy is it bad. I've heard nothing but bad things about it, which is is just so drat sad considering how much fun I had with these games as a kid.

Oh yeah, I forgot about THPS HD. Never played that one either.

Seeing those games in action made me sad, and after Proving Ground I was kinda burnt out on the series anyway. Maybe I'll play them in the future, as a joke. On myself.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

Stream the gaps and cash, then post the streams here unedited for those of us who like long chill videos to half watch while we do other poo poo.

I think the streams would be saved on Twitch, so I could just link to those?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Momomo posted:

There's no shame in having to try these missions more than once. The nature of the game is pretty improvised to begin with, so performing a line perfectly every time wouldn't be as interesting to watch anyway.

Having Combo and Skate missions separately seems kind of redundant by this point, especially when the SKATE letters are usually in a line anyway. They might as well have just focused on Combo.

I refresh myself so I know what to do, but being able to replicate it every time is difficult to do. I figured it made the most sense to show failures to an extent, then edit things out until I complete a mission proper.

SKATE and COMBO have enough different to them to warrant being separate missions. SKATE is like an item hunt around a level (which makes it more redundant with OTHER item hunts), while COMBO is about keeping a line going and not loving up.

bman in 2288 posted:

Twitch doesn't keep those videos for long. Best to upload to YouTube to keep those videos around.

I'm not sure if they'd be worth keeping for the long-term though. And I also don't know what I'd do about the soundtrack. I figured I could stream the game with music on Twitch, but if I intend to re-upload on YouTube, then that would be a problem. Plus, streaming AND recording at the same time would obviously be a drain on my computer's resources.

CJacobs posted:

To save videos on twitch: First enable VODs on your account in your settings, then when you finish a stream go to 'manage videos' and you can make the full stream into a highlight which will stick around forever instead of 14 days. Then you can export the full stream to your YT channel automatically.

Will keep this in mind. Thanks.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
No, I can turn it off. It's just would people want to hang out in such a quiet stream/watch such a quiet video?

Even if I made a playlist I'd imagine I'd have the same issues with copyright because it's all still licensed music. Unless I did more MIDIs or something.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
It gets a lot, lot worse.

Pro Challenges

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I'm going to do a stream this weekend to go on a cash and gap hunt. Most likely Satuday evening EST, but I'll have a more definite time in the next day or two.

In the meantime, feel free to go follow my channel in advance.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

You might want to lower your sound for the zoo level. The animal noises cut in and out and are a much higher volume than the other game sounds, so you will hear some sharp screeches and roars. I tried to lower some of the noises in editing, but I could only do so much.

Also, Saturday stream will start between 7pm and 8pm EST. Hope to see a few folks there.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, sorry. They are just SO loud, and they try to trigger when you are in the vicinity of an animal, and will cut out abruptly if you get too far away. So you have these random grunts and screeches that sound like someone is murdering sea lions right next to you.

I tried to lower the volume in places, but in others spots there was just too much going on that the other game sounds would have basically been muted. I tried to make it as normalized as I could.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to get a video out every day, but a few things have come up that complicated things. Usually if something happens, I'll post on my Twitter about it.

(Still in the Zoo. Still be aware of volume fuckery.)

Hope to see some people around tomorrow night for the chill stream!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.twitch.tv/jpg_live

I'm here and setting up.

Edit: Had a lot of fun doing a chill stream and having you guys try and guess the midi songs I was using. Hoping to do another stream sometime this coming week, so I hope you guys are down for another couple sessions of James' Pro loving Up at Videogames.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 17, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I really struggled with the Carnival. Way more than I probably should have. I'm just not a big fan of some of the missions here and the layout of the level in general. :/

I also exported last night's stream to YouTube, but I want to review it first before I publish it, so maybe that'll go live tomorrow if you wanna watch a 2-hour video of the worst gameplay you've ever seen.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Here's the recording of Saturday's stream.
https://youtu.be/MXNW6MTWfRo

You should also be able to watch it on my Twitch channel if you like.

The audio levels are not the same as when I record, so the balance might be a little off or a bit louder than the other videos. I'll try to adjust that more for the next stream, which will actually be this Wednesday, starting between 7pm and 8pm EST. Had a nice group of people last time, and hopefully we can have another chill stream in the middle of the week.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Getting set up now. Come on in and let's have some fun!

Edit: OK it doesn't look like this is happening tonight. Are weekends better, then?

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 21, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I'm considering trying to do a stream Saturday night, starting between 7pm and 8pm EST (like last week). I'd really appreciate it if you guys could let me know if you'll be around or not.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Momomo posted:

It's a shame most of these pro missions seem to be exactly the same as normal missions. It feels like the developers didn't really understand how easily abusable this game's systems are, which is strange after four games.

They're typically not very difficult, and some of them can be laughably easy, but if you were to play the game differently, they are just the right level of difficulty.

This could be someone's first Tony Hawk game, or they might play more casually and not systematically clear out each level. Asking someone to do a more difficult COMBO mission, get a higher point score, locate things in a level you might not be overtly familiar with, etc. Those are all in line with a new tier of difficulty. But since those goals are locked behind doing a skater mission, they come off as not asking enough of a player that just completed a single line while everything is exploding around them... or worse.

Getting skilled enough and high enough stats to complete a particularly brutal missions ends up making these missions look a lot simpler as a result. I don't think the missions are bad necessarily, just badly placed in the timeline of when you access them.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 22, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Also remember I'm doing a stream a few hours from now! Starting between 7pm and 8pm EST. And you don't need to watch the video ahead of time since we're just doing gaps and cash, which isn't related to mission progress or anything.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm on and waiting for things to fill up. Come join in.

Had a fun stream tonight. Thanks to those of you who could come hang out and watch me clear another 3 levels. :)

The tentative plan right now is to finish off the cash and goals tomorrow night, same time. I'll let you guys know if that changes, but expect that for the moment.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 24, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hi, I woke up super late today and feel very out of it, but I'll have my poo poo together by tonight to do a stream, so please come hang out.

This is going to be the last stream for this game. Finishing up getting cash and gaps in the last three levels of the game. I'll also work on either having a new video up tonight, or the recording of last night's stream.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://youtu.be/YBWy1uOvG68

Saturday's stream is now up on YouTube.

Also,

:smith:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Nah, the videos I was looking at didn't have any voice; They are straight-up guide videos.

It would have been an ad that was playing before the vid, or when I had to reload Twitch and it unmuted the stream to play an ad on there.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

Something really annoying with these games is that sometimes the gaps seem impossible. In THAW I'm trying to get the manual-the-red-carpet gap in classic mode Minneapolis, but even getting special, maxing out my speed, air and manual and building momentum I just cannot get the manual all the way inside the theatre, because at the end there are a lot of stairs to go up and it kills my momentum too much. So annoying. Although I'm getting better at using special tricks in the Mall trying to get the 300000 point sick score, I just need to get more consistent with them, as I can get combos of 60/70 thousand plus, just not consistently.

You'll get there buddy. I believe in you. :) Have you tried doing the manual in the opposite direction? Going down the stairs will build up momentum and carry you further than trying to start out on flat land and go uphill.

Including gaps in the game always seemed to be of two minds. Like some are designed to be included in combos to build up points and your multiplier, but then you have other gaps that are clearly in there just as an accomplishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Here's the last THPS4 stream.

https://youtu.be/9XRiZXvMCjM

We've got three videos left for the game, and then we're all done. :)

• Locked thread