Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

This is what the proles want, right?

quote:

Pay for public sector pay rise by getting rid of staff, says Boris Johnson
Foreign secretary says minimum wage is ‘not enough’ and adds that his party has to engage with Labour’s ‘leftwing nonsense’

Boris Johnson has said public sector workers should be given a pay rise but suggested the move could be paid for by cutting the number of state employees.

The foreign secretary said the minimum wage of £7.50 an hour, which will rise to £9 by 2020, is “not enough”.

He told the Sun: “I want people to be paid more. People get up unbelievably early and they work unbelievably hard, they deserve to be properly paid.”

He added: “You can pay people more, but shrink your wages bill. I’ll be honest with you. I do think you can always find ways of reducing expenditure on things that are not necessary. Any minister who tells you you can’t find savings, it is not true.”

His comments, in advance of the Conservative party’s annual conference – which begins on Sunday in Manchester – are likely to be seen as another challenge to prime minister Theresa May’s authority.

Johnson added: “We brought in a national living wage. I think that is the right thing to do but it is obviously not enough, and I would of course see people getting decently rewarded for their hard work. I really believe in that.”

Johnson called on the Tories to be “more courageous” and “find new ways of invigorating people” about their ideas.

He warned against the Conservative party shifting to the left to attract Labour voters, saying: “It would be a mistake for us to go chasing after Corbyn down some leftist cul de sac.

“He is bathing in this orgiastic adulation from Corbynistas who are conspiring in this myth that he won the election.

“Young people don’t have to go back to the 1970s. You don’t have to time travel, you just have to travel round the world – Venezuela.

“We have got to be engaged mano a mano with all this leftwing nonsense which has been peddled again and we have got to find new ways of invigorating people about our ideas.”

Paying everyone a living wage for the work they do? Nonsense! Paying some people a living wage - oh they work so hard you know - and firing everyone else? Now you're talking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pochoclo posted:

Cunts
Appropiating
People's
Industry
Through
Abusive
Leeching,
Imposing
Suffering on the
Masses

October thread title

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
bojo is really doubling down on this green lantern theory of politics, ain't he

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
1 billion to bigot creationists so they stay temp friends for a year or two.
But we need to fire people to raise the wages of others doing the same job.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Renaissance Robot posted:

Interestingly these are roughly the same size as canal boats, which makes me wonder if anybody has ever tried to adapt one of those to be submersible. Perfect for smuggling, and you can live in it! :v:

I totally would though.
The problem with the original Seehund is that a full third was taken up by the 60 hp diesel engine, 6 x 32 cell lead acid batteries, and 25 hp AEG electric motor necessary for operation above and below water, so there wasn't really enough space to live aboard.

The nice thing about building one from scratch is that you could beat the pants off all three of those with the insides of a Toyota Prius occupying about a third of that space.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
dear government,

please collapse already

your loving friend,
angie pain

p.s. get on with it

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

True, I'm letting modern prejudice colour etymology ( and I speak Irish too, shameful)

You wouldn't happen to know if there's programs for adults who want to spend some time in the summer working/studying Irish around Galway that might be affordable at all? Would love to do something like that.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

There's video of Boris's little recital here
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/sep/30/boris-johnson-caught-on-camera-reciting-kipling-in-myanmar-temple

He's basically just wandering around delivering lines from it while the ambassador says "NO" and "STOP IT STOP IT" through gritted teeth

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

baka kaba posted:

There's video of Boris's little recital here
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/sep/30/boris-johnson-caught-on-camera-reciting-kipling-in-myanmar-temple

He's basically just wandering around delivering lines from it while the ambassador says "NO" and "STOP IT STOP IT" through gritted teeth

What the gently caress is up with him? Why does he just keep mumbling the lines?

I thought this was just an ill-judged stunt but this is more like he's mentally ill.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Maybe he's trying to copy Trump after he claimed Trump stole his hairstyle a few years back?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

baka kaba posted:

This is what the proles want, right?

Paying everyone a living wage for the work they do? Nonsense! Paying some people a living wage - oh they work so hard you know - and firing everyone else? Now you're talking
Cannot wait for that fuckwit to get destroyed in a leadership election and overdose on barbiturates.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

What the gently caress is up with him? Why does he just keep mumbling the lines?

I thought this was just an ill-judged stunt but this is more like he's mentally ill.

https://twitter.com/mattpointblank/status/914029348558180353
Basically this. He knows a few lines of poetry off by heart with zero understanding of the context or meaning behind any of it. It's the most shallow form of pseudo-intelligence that's common to everyone with an expensive private education, and it's what Michael Gove spent all his time as education secretary trying to force on everyone else.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
all the Tories getting their knives out

https://twitter.com/OwenPaterson/status/914141199753187328

(Paterson is a paleocon)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Trick question, Capitalism doesn't work for anyone except capitalists.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
You know things are bad when tories have to pretend that they care about young people

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
even if there isn't a GE, kicking Bojo out will still mean a factional struggle

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Honestly it reads more like they're using Labour's narrative as cover to get what they want. Slash public sector positions and push the 'efficiency' narrative under the guise of improving pay. Force May out by pretending she's the reason young people are 'losing hope'

Nobody's gonna buy it but it helps them look good on the news

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Angepain posted:

You know things are bad when tories have to pretend that they care about young people

We know very well they care about young people tbh

Just...y'know...in a certain way. :aatrek:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And all the rich folks act surprised
When all sense of community dies
But you just closed your eyes to the other side
Of all the things that he did
Edward Heath hosed kids

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

Edward Heath hosed kids

You guys ruined Frank Turner for me

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Frank Turner ruined Frank Turner for me.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Guavanaut posted:

Edward Heath hosed kids

But... AWBOE isn't a real word :confused:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

The algorithms are getting... too good

Also can't wait for the repurposed Rage Against The Machine lyrics from the free market guerrillas

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean that's high praise, in order to defeat the old jam man, capitalism itself must completely change.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

How do you do, fellow revolutionaries?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

Also can't wait for the repurposed Rage Against The Machine lyrics from the free market guerrillas
*Repeatedly screams "gently caress you I won't do what you tell me!" at a Health and Safety Law poster, trips over an uncleated cable, concusses self*

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
I'm surprised that after all these years Capitalism still hasn't solved it's weakness to men with beards

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Gum posted:

I'm surprised that after all these years Capitalism still hasn't solved it's weakness to men with beards

All that is solid melts into air.... except hair.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Didn't the lib Dems play RATM at their conference or was that a hosed up fever dream? Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference with modern politics.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Verizian posted:

Didn't the lib Dems play RATM at their conference or was that a hosed up fever dream? Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference with modern politics.

The Machine is the Labservatives and they are the plucky rebels u see

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Angepain posted:

The funny thing is I can see shades of Ed Miliband's Labour in what the Tories are trying to do. They don't seem to have learned the lesson that if people like certain policies you aren't going to win votes by offering the same policies but just less so. Just like nobody went for 'austerity lite' people are going to be left similarly cold by 'slightly reduced tuition fees' and 'build a couple more houses' when it's put up against no tuition fees and a massive house-building program.

EDIT
https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/914209028057772032

jabby fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 30, 2017

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

jabby posted:

The funny thing is I can see shades of Ed Miliband's Labour in what the Tories are trying to do. They don't seem to have learned the lesson that if people like certain policies you aren't going to win votes by offering the same policies but just less so. Just like nobody went for 'austerity lite' people are going to be left similarly cold by 'slightly reduced tuition fees' and 'build a couple more houses' when it's put up against no tuition fees and a massive house-building program.

EDIT
https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/914209028057772032

Ahahaha, loving A!

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Hey guys, remember when Jeremy Corbyn was going to consign Labour to the dustbin of history? Pissflops?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'm quite relieved to hear that Jeremy himself hates the "Oh, Jeremy Corbyn" thing because the last thing we need is the drat personality cult getting to his head

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Sapozhnik posted:

I'm quite relieved to hear that Jeremy himself hates the "Oh, Jeremy Corbyn" thing because the last thing we need is the drat personality cult getting to his head
Also it's going to be a hell of a letdown if he gets in power and makes an unpopular decision

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

The Guardian has their hands on some Opinium survey results.

Among all voters under 45, only 19% think the Tories are 'on their side' compared to 50% for Labour. Labour is also ahead with voters aged between 45 and 65. Even among over-65s, only 39% describe the Tories as on their side compared to 30% for Labour.

Bad news for the Tories, but for me the most ridiculous thing is that the number of over-65s who think the Tories are 'on their side' is considerably lower than the number that will vote for the fuckers. Further proof that the old care more about making sure other people get hosed over than they do their own welfare.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ well another way you could look at it is people believing they're "doing the right thing" even if it doesn't help them personally. The Tories are leaning heavily on the old wartime tighten our belts and shared sacrifice line after all, that resonates with a lot of old people

Sapozhnik posted:

He just doesn't seem like someone who'd let it go to his head, he's probably embarrassed about it but sees it as a reflection of the support for Labour's platform

I reckon it's giving him the confidence to get sassy though, he definitely seems way more comfortable

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 30, 2017

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

May is going to freeze tuition fees at £9,250. And pump some more cash into Help to Buy.

That'll see the young voters flocking back.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

jabby posted:

May is going to freeze tuition fees at £9,250. And pump some more cash into Help to Buy.

:master:

Red peril averted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

jabby posted:

Brilliant!
This will shave a few months off the 2 decades it takes to pay back a 4 year course!
Look out Corbyn, Tory 99% student switch incoming!

• Locked thread