Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Raxivace posted:

They named the ninth month of the year September.

It would be the seventh month, as its name implies, if it weren't for two narcissistic Romans

homeless snail posted:

no one says NES like that stop joking

Isn't Ness named after the NES

StrixNebulosa posted:

I am hyped for Cook Serve Delicious 2 coming out this month
God, this year is good for games :D

I hope it has a good theme song! I kind of want to play it with a controller, I saw the PS4 interface for CSD1 and it seemed more fun the same way Diablo 3 is more fun on PS4

Jay Rust posted:

I can't really justify spending money on games right now, so I've not been paying much attention to gaming news over the past few months, which in turn means that I'm out of the gamer loop and feel a little alienated. I'm still spending plenty of time playing games, but mostly old ones like Deus Ex, some Metal Gear Solids and most recently Baldur's Gate. I can't participate in the jokes and goofs in these threads anymore

I feel like this thread talks about Metal Gear every week, I know I'm always happy to.

My September will consist of Mario+Rabbids, finishing Zelda :geno: and Splatoon, until the last week of September when I will binge on all the PS4 games I missed this summer. Also I need to sell my PS4 copy of FFXV so I can get the PC 170 GB edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

credburn posted:

Man, playing through Bioshock I'm reminded once again what a tremendously disappointing way the twist is executed.

It turns out all the gamey poo poo like fetch quests and other menial tasks you've been doing have been secret coded orders given to you via a key phrase and hypnosis, the key phrase being "would you rather?" The first time I played the game, I did not know of any twist, though I guess I could see it coming because I've played System Shock 2 and Bioshock is bizarrely similar, but when it happened...well, the way it could and should have happened would have been letting the player realize it for him/herself. Imagine, maybe the dude just says, "Would you rather?" and let's it hang, and then it dawns on you, and wowie what a twist! Instead, you literally fall into a room where it's literally written out for you all over the walls with accompanying pictures so you can't not get it, you stupid, stupid gamer and just in case you're a complete moron he goes on to describe it to you in an overly long monologue about how, in case you didn't get it, you've been a pawn, did you get it, you're a puppet, by the way it's a key phrase and you don't have any free will, get it? It's an illusion, get it? DO YOU GET IT ISN'T THIS A NEAT TWIST tell your friends

Actually it's "Would you kindly"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Would you rather play BioShock or a good game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Bioshock 2 is the best one

Yeah, I definitely enjoyed playing that one the most just in terms of combat. Minerva's Den also seemed to have the best storytelling though I only engaged with that secondhand through video

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Actually I don't want to be the bearer of fake news. July and August were actually renamed from "fifth month" and "sixth month", respectively, instead of pushing September back as I had previously thought.

This poster regrets the error.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I dropped out of playing DA:I about six or seven hours in to start Witcher 3. I feel like I made a good decision, and I still haven't done Hearts of Stone or Blood and Wine yet

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/OhPoorPup/status/857131811717222401

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

AM2R gets shut down but this gets to stand

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Real professionals use Slack anyway

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think these forums are still popular because they still use a logical and readable structure based on threads as opposed to some Reddit/4chan poo poo. Or comments on articles

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Avatars are such a useful schema for a message board.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/903800374808633344

Inkopolis is a place to rock.

It is a shopping center where they buy clothes to stay fresh.

It is a good place to listen to the music.

If this is a Fries vs. Nuggets Splatfest that's actually an inspired one, picking the only two worthwhile things on the McDonald's menu

oddium posted:

ahhhh i got the chickey dinner....

:great:

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 2, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I believe that both nuggets and fries together, perhaps in a combination meal of some kind, might be great

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

hyphz posted:

Is anyone playing LawBreakers or is it already dead?

Well 200 people are playing it right now with a concurrent peak of 360 in the past 24 hours

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I would love it if Blackbird Interactive (Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak) made a Star Wars RTS

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Onboarding is great for a single player mode and that should be one of its main goals, as a tool to slowly teach people who may be new to the game mechanics in a controlled environment where they can learn at their own pace and they can start with the simplest options and add onto them piece by piece.

But if you have a competitive multiplayer mode, everything non-cosmetic in that mode should be available to the player from moment one

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

raditts posted:

You unlock everything you need in Splatoon by level 10, which you can reach in like an hour of play, because while the single player mode is like an extended tutorial, it's reasonable to assume that most people will never play the single player mode in a multiplayer shooter.

According to my Switch, I have more than fifteen hours of time in Splatoon 2, probably more than ten hours in multiplayer. I am still level 9 and don't have enough coins to buy all the weapons and gear, let alone that there are weapons that I need about 15 more levels for.

Like even if 80% of the possibility space for loadouts is available to players almost off the bat, that 20% is still a problem. Even if it doesn't offer significant advantages, it still means that people who have dumped more hours into a game get to have more choices, which in a competitive setting is slightly lame.

chumbler posted:

Then why not 100% at 0 minutes? It is a totally pointless gate.

:yeah:

raditts posted:

Why are people acting like progress based unlocks are some kind of new thing that is totally ~* ruinin vidgams *~ and not something that has been a common aspect of games for almost two decades now

I don't think they are new, I think they have been totally ~* ruinin vidgams *~ for almost two decades now!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

raditts posted:

Wow, I have no idea how this is possible but okay.

It takes 78,300 XP to get to level 10. I have only been playing Turf War so maybe ranked mode is a whole other thing. But wins in Turf War give you a max of 1400 XP. So even if you were amazing enough to win every single game and matchmake at maximum speed so you were getting ten wins every hour, it would still take you more than five hours to go from 1 to 10

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Played a couple hours of the Splatfest and finally got from level 9 to level 10. And just to show that this leveling is not because I'm somehow the worst player in the world, this is the game that put me over.

Still really fun! Think I'll try to get to Flight Champion before it's over

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Single player games are full of obnoxious loot and chest systems now

The poo poo that Shadow of War is pulling is really lame and makes me not want to play it. I know it's mostly separate from the main story like MGSV but eh

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I thought y'all were talking about the RTS where all your units were genetically engineered from selected parts and stuff

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

In Training posted:

Eagerly awaiting splatfest results

Team Flight, hell ya

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am not going to rag on someone for being slow to pick up on a tutorial, the learning process is different for everyone. I will say that you'd think someone who plays games for a living would have a more robust skillset to draw from, but eh.

I am getting tired of this kind of anti-comedy entertainment that's in vogue about "Watch how bad we are at video games," the majority of Giant Bomb's series this year are basically that and it's somewhat hollow at this point

Help Im Alive posted:

I think it was originally a boss rush game but people got mad so they made...that

Wasn't Furi relatively well-received?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

homeless snail posted:

holy crap dean takahashi has never played mario

You can see him slowly work through it, like he tries ducking to see if that does anything in the situation, and when he figures out you have to jump dash it takes him a couple tries to dial in the timing

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

OK, I take back the part about not ragging on him, the unspoken second part to that is "unless you blame the game for your being a dumbass"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mean, calling that his video game Vietnam was rather apropos, considering it was a debacle based on a complete misunderstanding of the situation on the ground due to willful blindness and made him look arrogant and foolish in the eyes of the world

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If you die in real life you die in the game (repeatedly, for a small fee)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Tag yourself, I'm "Totally Normal Cat"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh is it Launch day?

This seems like a relatively obscure Knack reference but I approve

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am going to Gamefly Knack 2 near the end of the month, I still have Mario + Rabbids to work through

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It is difficult to remember that RE7 is actually a 2017 game and still in consideration for this year's GOTY lists. There have been so many good games and so much bad poo poo that it feels like RE7 came out two years ago

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

This is the best paragraph of games writing I've encountered this year

"Worst of all is Knack himself: a lumpen thug of a hero at one end of the scale and a scamperer through endless ductwork at the other. His shrinking rarely leads to memorable puzzles, just as his ability to grow over the course of a level rarely adds a genuine sense of Katamari-ish momentum to proceedings. This loveable children's hero spends quite a lot of his time smacking around people who are much smaller than him, and to compound things, he seems to have been based on that famously loveable children's favourite Ganon, the murderous uber-monster and nightmare creature from the Zelda games. I remember reading once that good children's character design acknowledges the awesome power of the humble circle, Mickey Mouse being the prime example. Knack is spiky and angular and forgettable. I doubt that there is much in the way of a Knack cosplay community, and not just because it would be so uncomfortable to sit down in character."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Propaganda Hour posted:

Destiny 2 also runs really freaking well for how good it looks. https://www.techspot.com/review/1478-destiny-2-pc-benchmarks/

Overwatch is amazing at 144Hz, I guess I am gonna try to get Destiny 2 up to that

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

In Training posted:

Who uses pistols though

Titanfall does have one of the better pistols in video game history

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Life is Strange feels like a story that will land the best if you're playing it with other people or watching other people play it. Going through it solo and without having "vaped some dank OG bud" is probably a setup for a bad time

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

And with that final crotch punch, the score is Kiryu 1, Yakuza 0

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lakbay posted:

I groan any time something is vaguely close to the title

I hear you ought to see the new Super Mario game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Private, are you ready to answer the call of duty and fight in World War II

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I had to think if there was a game called Two Breakfasts

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think I genuinely like Rabbids. Like it's not brilliant, trenchant humor but they are light-hearted goofballs and it's hard to dislike having that in the world right now :shobon:

• Locked thread