Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What's a good game to play when you feel like poo poo and don't want to do anything hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Battle orn is the game that is Overwatch but worse right

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Poops Mcgoots posted:

If you get enough cats, you might actually be able to build a table by stacking them up.

If you want to make furniture out of cats you should just play Dwarf Fortress.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Help Im Alive posted:

It's not really a gimmick but using dual caestus in Dark Souls 2 was the most fun I had with that game

Dual fists was not only extremely fun but also really strong in DS2.

DS2 is honestly the best Souls game when it comes to build variety. It has a lot of neat weapons.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zaphod42 posted:

I meant the balance in particular. Skyrim's balance is a mess where you're either able to kill everything or you get slaughtered before you have time to eat 30 wedges of cheese. Its not really a challenge or engaging. Dragon's Dogma is more engaging to play and fight but the enemies are so wildly unbalanced you end up doing boring things for a long time.

I like The Elder Scrolls a lot but they seriously need to do a major overhaul of the combat so its more engaging than "point sword at monster". I'm not entirely sure how you do that in first person though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Real hurthling! posted:

At least you dont arbitrarily miss based on a dice roll like previous games

I tried to play Morrowind and could not get into it because of how bad the combat was. Its was insanely frustrating to be hitting stuff with my weapon and deal no damage. I really wanted to like it because people always say its so much better than Oblivion/Skyrim but its painful too play.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I like how one of the deadliest enemies in the Xcom series is a lobster with a gun.

VVV Its probably because the old Xcom games weren't afraid to kill your soldiers instantly with you being able to do basically nothing about it.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 19, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Original Xcom balance in action: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/48590833

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I kind of want to buy Divinity 2 just so I can see if the game will let me play as a skeleton that is also a cleric.

The idea amuses me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Grapplejack posted:

Fungitown apparently has generic toads now, and Geno's little cameo is gone.

wtf is the point of this

Grouchio posted:

I've contemplated throwing away both Spore and Assassins Creed III, but I just stored away the former to rot, and the latter I sent back to gamefly 4 years ago.

I have my copy of Spore Galactic Edition sitting on top of one of my desks. Its a reminder to never trust things that seem too good to be true.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I literally followed Spore from his first trailer ever. It sounded like the perfect game for me. Delay after delay didn't hurt my enthusiasm at all, as I was naive enough to think such a game was possible to make back then. When the creature creator came out and worked so well, I was even more hyped.

Then it came out and after half a week I had to admit it wasn't fun. Such a disappointment.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

oddium posted:

i remember a video that was maybe e3 where will spaces around in a spaceship and terraforms a planet and whatnot. did any of that end up being in it

Terraforming was mostly cut out and replaced with a very simplified version. Once you reached the space stage, every planet would have exactly 3 types creatures and 3 types plants on it. You could seed worlds with different creatures and plants but no more than 3. Also any terrain changes you could make were entirely cosmetic stuff, like changing the color of water. You couldn't actually mold the terrain of the planet to change the way it looked. So basically anything cool you could imagine doing with terraforming was not in the game.

My one solace when it comes to Spore is that it became an important learning experience. My expectations when it comes to games have become far more realistic now. Which is why when No Man's Sky came around I knew it was bullshit from the start.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really can't understand the PUBG phenomenon. I tried watching several streamers play it but its so boring to watch because of how much downtime between action there is.

I get why it could be fun to play if you like FPS games but I don't get why it exploded over Twitch.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

One day Sonic The Hedgehog with be more meme than game.

I'm pretty sure he's been in that state of existence since Sonic 2006.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Dog, you best get yourself a copy of Kirby Air Ride.

Kirby Air Ride 2 when

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I beat Fusion in 1:50 minutes as a kid. That's the closest I've ever come to speedrunning.

Usually if I want to make a game harder for myself I just make up restricting rules rather than try to rush stuff.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Grouchio posted:

I preordered Danganronpa V3 tonight! Whose else has?

I've read an LP of the second DangitRonPaul game but have no interest in playing them myself. I'm not much of an adventure-text game person.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I didn't even know there was a Lost Planet 3.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Xcom 2: WotC is so good I've already completed two campaigns of it and am in the process of doing a third. Probably will stop after finishing this one but I could keep going honestly.

There's been so much good poo poo this year.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

exquisite tea posted:

This is probably on a lot of people's wishlists but I'd love to play a murder mystery game set in medieval Europe, so while you use forensic evidence and good detective work to solve crimes, your suspects also have an even chance of being a witch or possessed by the devil.

Wouldn't most logic be thrown out the window when you bring literal magic into the game though? Not sure how you're supposed to use deductive reasoning to figure out the killer's murder weapon was a magically summoned lighting bolt.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Anytime I see a collector's edition I'm reminded of the "amazing" item included with Dark Souls 3's

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

precision posted:

lol drat Shadow of War devs pedaling backwards but not hard enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igjXK1IAM9I

I thought this was a single-player game. Where exactly do microtransactions fit in?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wasn't aware the game had any multiplayer component. I thought it was an entirely single-player thing where loot boxes would have no place.

Loot boxes are trash though. Makes all the screaming people did about Horse Armor DLC in Oblivion look quaint.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Maybe I'm crazy but I never had a problem with Project 10 dollar. I don't get why people freaked out about it so much given a lot of people purchase a game new anyways.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Started playing FTL again and I wanna say that Mantis C is an awful ship.

cr0y posted:

PC GAMERS: How in the hell do you manage having lots of games installed but not actively played at any one time? Is there any all-in-one utility to shove games from an SSD to a larger spinning disk and back? These sons of bitches are getting huge and SSDs aren't that loving cheap yet. I basically spend $60 on the game and another $50 on flash.

Uninstalling the games you aren't playing is the most sensible way to save space. At least with games on Steam uninstalling and reinstalling is so simple there's really no reason to keep a ton installed if you aren't actively playing them and need to conserve disk space.

That said I don't think I've ever even come close to having my PC disk space filled up. You definitely don't need to install every game to an SSD and the rest of your computer should have plenty of room. If not, its probably time to start saving up for a modern PC.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Watching someone play Danganronpa 3 and I'm not sure if the people mad at DR2 would hate or love this first case.

Its pretty absurd.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Not even close :shepface:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

HoboNews posted:

Is anyone still playing Black Desert Online in here? I just updated it (51 gb update lol) and I actually intend to play it this time

I'm not touching MMOs again until I find one that isn't focused on mindless grinding and stupid raids.

So I guess I'll just never play an MMO again.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Ff14 is like a final fantasy game, story and all, but with goons when you have to do poo poo! A lot of people don't even top tier raid, you really don't have to. Like you really really don't have to, but it's there for people who enjoy that.

I watched someone stream FF14. Its literally mindless grinding and raiding. There's some other stuff on the side but the core of the game is everything I hate in MMOs.

Granted they never got to endgame, which people say is better, but that's what people say about basically every MMO. And I don't want to have to spend dozens of hours to reach the actual fun part of a game. They aren't supposed to feel like a second job.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Ff14 is not wow dude

I guess I just imagined the person I watched being handed quests the consisted of basically nothing but "go here, click on things, stab dudes".

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Help Im Alive posted:

Watching someone play an MMO seems like it would be very boring

It is. I don't mind having it on as background noise though while I do some reading, easy work, or am playing a game that doesn't require my full-attention at all times.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Or you just weren't paying attention if that's all you were able to absorb from it. It's a Final Fantasy.

The streamer I watched literally had the exact same opinion of it that I do. Its fine if you like that but as someone who wants more out of MMO gameplay than running around and stabbing stuff, that wasn't gonna do it for me.

Again, he was in the process of grinding to level 60 or whatever. People kept saying it gets better later. I don't doubt that the combat system could have enough nuance that the later parts of the game are actually challenging and not just mindless clicking. But again, I have no interest in games that require me to slog through hours of tedium to reach the enjoyable parts.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

homeless snail posted:

the thing is though, you can't just grind to max level and "get to the good part", you have to play through the story. IDK what that dude was doing, maybe he was leveling up an alt job but even still grinding that way is a really lovely way to level up

He was playing the story quests. I didn't see anything about the story I would consider interesting enough to warrant sitting through gameplay I wouldn't enjoy.

Like no matter how you dress it up the quest design I kept seeing was your basic "punch 5 sand worms" stuff for the most part. I'm not looking for that in an MMO.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can someone link the video you all are talking about

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm honestly shocked that Cuphead is actually being released. It seemed like one of those ~cursed games~.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Overwatch as an Esport is just laughable. Blizzard can't balance at all.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My favorite game intro is Dark Souls 2's;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svy0Ih77fuc

Its extremely foreboding and captures the feeling of the game so well.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

PantsBandit posted:

So my October will consist of more broad, existential dread rather than spookiness.

That's the most scary thing of all! :ohdear:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

homeless snail posted:

nice they're making another danball senki... except this time instead of being about putting together little robot models and fighting them, they're anime girls

Finally games are art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

chumbler posted:

Mmos are at least slightly better than mobas because you get to play pretty princess and also people are usually slightly less assholes.

Dota 2 makes literally all its money from people buying cosmetics that do nothing in gameplay but make you look nice/stupid.

Don't agree with the rear end in a top hat part though. Randoms in MMOs can be pretty loving toxic. Back when I played GW1 I was a healer and pretty much anytime a group wiped I got tons of poo poo from people in it.

• Locked thread