Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ys!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

What is slowbeef up to these days?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

the ys demo was too short

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

dogsicle posted:

i love grinding level synced FATEs!!!

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Cost increases per minion that you buy, and you need to grind out Fates with the correct minion to get a weapon

I've done 3 and haven't gotten any weapon currency yet so the event's busted and worthless imo

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

gross

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

im about to start lorule castle in lbw and i still need to get the pegasus boots and the last sword upgrade

i just want to say that ice dungeon has the best use of 3d effects of the seven sage dungeons but gently caress ice physics

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

also dungeons being bitesized to the point that i can start and completely sweep them in 20 minutes owns

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Hey games thread! The power is out and the eye of the storm is about 30 min away from my house but I still got Mario Rabbids so things are still alright! 👌🏻

im ready to be in the hurricane own zone

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

aren't you already

im not in the direct own zone, im just own zone adjacent for the next 2 hours

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Wanna tell me what's so funny about being a regular target of endorph's bullying in the past and being frustrated when she tries to take the moral high ground by talking about how bullying is bad

i mean if you consider infrequent tame owns to be on the same level of being cyber stalked and forced to change your whole life i don't know what to tell you

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

So um what's GotM so far?

it's ys8, coming out in 25 hours

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Nope you can't do that

just try me mothereffer

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

THE BEST GAME COMING OUT THIS MONTH IS YS 8 AND I PREORDERED IT AND AM CURRENTLY PRAYING THAT IRMA DOESN'T KILL ME SO I CAN PLAY YS 8 ON TUESDAY, BECAUSE YS 8 IS NOTED BEST GAME OF THE MONTH OF SEPTEMBER 2017

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

a.lo posted:

I believe you

ty

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

homeless snail posted:

I'm not reading that

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Cuphead is less of a platform game than it is a touhou bullet hell shmup.

If you're into those then you'll probably love it, but most people aren't. Shame because the art is so good.

touhou is insanely tightly controlled in terms of pacing and enemy placement and allows for full movement around the screen while the 6 minutes ive seen of cuphead is about random enemies dropping in while you do some light platforming

i know 2 other people already said they're nothing alike but i wanted to say why, in case the urge to make this comparison comes up again

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

You've got me on the controls (well, we haven't played it yet) but the original game's design was just a boss rush because that was its focus, just boss pattern attack waves, dodging them and constantly shooting. Most of the bosses rotate between 3-4 different attack patterns which is pretty touhou. I guess more a normal shmup than a touhou bullet hell, fine, but some of the latter bosses in the game do look pretty wild.

The platforming is something they've begrudgingly added because everybody criticized the game for not having it, and it seems like the weaker part of the game as a result.

but you're referring to the gameplay from 1/16th of the mainline games, and 99% of people aren't going to think of highly responsive to prayers when someone refers to touhou bullet hell because it's an old rear end pc-98 game that no one's played

and modern touhou doesn't really have 3-4 rotating attack patterns, it's building, discrete patterns that are done when you clear them once

(editor's note i haven't played any of them since 14 or whatever ten desires was so maybe everyhting changed with the dang moon faries one)

e: oh you meant the original game as in cuphead's original design, not touhou nvm

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

littleorv posted:

I'm hurricane Irma

I'm gonna kick your rear end

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

i have survived irma and completed step one of my three step plan to play ys 8, game of the month september 2017

step two is pray with all my heart that it gets delivered tomorrow and that the mail people didn't get owned by irma

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

step 3 is ignoring how god awful the localization is.

im comfortable with gotm Ys 8 and its dull tl and will not let it bother me, while I'm having tropical island fun with my pals Adol and hot Dogi

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

after 3 hours of ys 8, game of the month im sad to say the tl for the pre demo section of the game is just as bad. I forgot to screenshot but I've had an instance of a character introducing herself with "My name is Alison. You can just call me Alison"

it's serviceable in that you'll get the plot but characters don't really have distinct voices and feel like they aren't even consistent during a conversation. also any time the game tries to go with a character expressing complex thoughts the tl doesn't hold together. it feels like different people were translating per line because thoughts just don't follow

also the term for magic is fuckin' Energy and im gonna be mad when i find out the jpn script uses the english word Energy

anyways everyone already knew the tl would be bad and soulless but the gameplay owns and has a million collectables to hand in for upgrades for your tiny lizard brain to enjoy

also fishing

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Don't tell me the game opens with another goddamn shipwreck.

hahahaaaa

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

was he actually ever going somewhere on a boat, it seems like he always just crashes and never gets anywwhere

there's some bullshit about hitching a ride to Greek or wherever and then deciding once they get there but it was a pretty weak justification for "we're on a ship that's in the middle of the ocean"

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

i received my physical copy of ys 8 5 days after release after i had tried three separate times to cancel the order

thanks amazon

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

littleorv posted:

This is a very boring day of work for me.

Amazon finally got my copy of Ys 8 over to me and I don't even want to play it anymore

you should give it to dryzen

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Stexils posted:

pretty sure the guys already are in hard mode

lol

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

homeless snail posted:

someone buy heat signature and tell me if its game of the month

ys 8 is game of the month my friend

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

littleorv posted:

Yes the game of the month that I don't feel like playing

you're the poster of the month that shouldn't be listened to bi*ch

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

My favorite earth, wind, and fire song: https://soundcloud.com/mitch-l-music/the-mashup-no-one-asked-for

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I finally finished LBW!!! The final boss was fun even though I was a little disappointed in the final dungeon only needing three tools

Also I didn't go through the final dimension crack because I figured it'd be progress and tripped the last fight without thinking about it so I hope whatever was in there wasn't too cool

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

precision posted:

man i loved that one

is there not an Ys Megathread? search turns up nothing but i swear there was one

The general falcom thread is what you're looking for

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Ah, Odin Sphere

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Raxivace posted:

RE7 is solid, but my big issue with it is that it doesn't do any one thing better than any other RE game. When it's trying to be like RE1/2 it's fun but not as good as those games, and when it turns into a shooter its fun but not as good as RE4/5/6. Also the story is kind of not great even by Resident Evil standards.

Also VideoGames your avatar is too scary for me now please change it to something less frightening.

• Locked thread