Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Didn't Xabi skip a game because his wife had a baby and Rafa got pissed at him? I seemed to remember something like that having a big impact on their relationship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
he said that bit about the kid recently; if I remember right at the time Rafa was on about wanting more homegrown players as he'd had to leave hyypia out of a CL squad because he didn't have enough homegrown guys

now, an interesting followup to that is why he didn't sell off a bad foreign player, instead of the best foreign player, but these are questions man is not meant to ask

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Didn't Xabi skip a game because his wife had a baby and Rafa got pissed at him? I seemed to remember something like that having a big impact on their relationship

I thought that was Torres? Was it both?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

bewbies posted:

now, an interesting followup to that is why he didn't sell off a bad foreign player, instead of the best foreign player, but these are questions man is not meant to ask
He had to sell to be able to buy and you tend not to get much for a bad foreign player.

You can understand his thinking but it was still insane. Gareth Barry wasn't fit to tie Alonso's shoelaces.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Xabi posted:

He had to sell to be able to buy and you tend not to get much for a bad foreign player.

You can understand his thinking but it was still insane. Gareth Barry wasn't fit to tie Alonso's shoelaces.

how many titles did alonso win?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

how many titles did alonso win?

four and some international stuff and champions leagues and domestic cups and poo poo

gareth barry won the intertoto cup though, xabi alonso didn't get that poo poo

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Spangly A posted:

four and some international stuff and champions leagues and domestic cups and poo poo

gareth barry won the intertoto cup though, xabi alonso didn't get that poo poo

fraud detected imo.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Rafa probably wanted to signed Gareth Barry because he's a really good footballer who went to play at the heart of a Premier League winning team instead. Talking about him as if he's some shitclogger is idiotic. Players that reliably hold the ball and recycle possession are stupidly underrated in this country by everyone except the good managers who win things.

Admittedly he's not Xabi Alonso though.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Yeah but having neither is worse.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

peanut- posted:

Rafa probably wanted to signed Gareth Barry because he's a really good footballer who went to play at the heart of a Premier League winning team instead. Talking about him as if he's some shitclogger is idiotic. Players that reliably hold the ball and recycle possession are stupidly underrated in this country by everyone except the good managers who win things.

Counterpoint. I could have played midfield in that City team and they still would have won the league.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Basically, being a manager is a land of contrasts.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
Good news, Livernerds, Matip might be fit to play v Lester.

Bad news, though, Lovren may be too.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/jurgen-klopp-hopes-joel-matip-and-dejan-lovren-are-fit-to-return-gqjx8qr9r

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Good news, Livernerds, Matip might be fit to play v Lester.

Bad news, though, Lovren may be too.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/jurgen-klopp-hopes-joel-matip-and-dejan-lovren-are-fit-to-return-gqjx8qr9r

Lovren was good last season. He's certainly a lot better than Klavan, despite his propensity for stupidity.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Ewar Woowar posted:

Lovren was good last season. He's certainly a lot better than Klavan, despite his propensity for stupidity.
Lovren was solid, at times. I think "good" is a stretch. Hes not good if your goal is plausible title challenge and being competitive in the CL.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

Ewar Woowar posted:

Yeah I know, I'm just being cheeky. The short memory and binary mood extremes of fans drives me loving mental. Anyway, our defense isn't being done any favors by lack of a defensive mid and Klopp's press is basically asking for trouble without one, or at least without a super boss backline.

I'm still of the opinion that Liverpool is still fun and cool and good and Klopp's a great coach. I will now imagine Blue Footed Boobie's response to my opinion:

blue footed boobie posted:

Disagree / Fail and poo poo / Liverpoo

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

cheese posted:

Lovren was solid, at times. I think "good" is a stretch. Hes not good if your goal is plausible title challenge and being competitive in the CL.
His fitness is also starting to look a lot like Woodgate's.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

cheese posted:

Nah, he was actually good last season. Our problems was when one of him or Matip were out. This season though he's regressed to his debut season and looks awful. I'm more confident he'll regain form than Klavan suddenly becoming good though. I actually missed the cup game midweek, how did Gomez look in the middle?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Lovren and Matip are a pretty decent partnership IIRC but Lovren's only been fit enough to start like 19 games under Klopp. It's madness.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
Gomez was actually really good, wouldn't be surprised if it's him and Matip today. He's just so fuckin young that you can't have him play an extended run because there will be inevitable gently caress ups

In terms of pure ability I'd be happy with TAA, Matip, Gomez and Robertson as a back four for a couple of games but the most senior of that four has only been at the club for a year so it's easy to see there being a lack of leadership there. Then again there's a lack of leadership anyway so maybe gently caress it? Idk. Having two u21s and a brand new signing in the back four seems like a gamble but then every back four we play is a gamble. At least with that you get TAA's corners and Robertson's crosses 😍

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

chuggo is BACK posted:

In terms of pure ability I'd be happy with TAA, Matip, Gomez and Robertson as a back four for a couple of games but the most senior of that four has only been at the club for a year so it's easy to see there being a lack of leadership there.

Klopp should give them a couple run outs in the Leage Cup, kind of see how it goes. Oh-

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
How are the chels able to get £53m for Diego Costa at this point :thunk:

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

PirateBob posted:

How are the chels able to get £53m for Diego Costa at this point :thunk:

Hes a really good striker and money means nothing anymore?

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

peanut- posted:

It's funny how Ox is clearly a bad player because he can't do anything except run fast, whereas Barry gets shat on too even though he's a perfectly good all round player who just can't run faster than walking pace. I think his stock dropped the most when Ozil totally skinned him at the World Cup though.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Alonso in the prior season, by his own admission, had not been his best. Then with extremely bad owners, Rafa needed to sell in order to buy, Barry was versatile (CM or LB), consistent and homegrown.

I'm as big a Xabi fan as anyone else but given the situation, can see why Rafa did what he did. Just a shame he ended up burning that bridge, Alonso left for Madrid anyway and Liverpool ended up with Aquilani instead.

Seriously, gently caress H&G forever.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Scikar posted:

It's funny how Ox is clearly a bad player because he can't do anything except run fast, whereas Barry gets shat on too even though he's a perfectly good all round player who just can't run faster than walking pace. I think his stock dropped the most when Ozil totally skinned him at the World Cup though.

Sorry, I've done some detailed research at everycuntatanenglandgameever.co.uk and it turns out that a central midfielder should always be charging forward, doing half-volleys, and getting caught out of position. Defending or distributing the ball is something that fat children do because they're clearly bad at the game.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
"Man United want to identify fans who sung Lukaku song at Southampton

Manchester United have accused supporters who continued to sing a controversial chant about Romelu Lukaku at Southampton of "disrespecting the player's wishes."

The club have asked for CCTV footage of the away end at St Mary's to help identify the fans who sang the song, which has been condemned by anti-discrimination group Kick It Out, during the 1-0 win.

A United spokesman said: "Manchester United has a zero tolerance stance on offensive chanting and behaviour.

"The club and player have been clear in asking for an end to the chant.

"The club has worked with relevant bodies and supporters groups in trying to eradicate any offensive behaviour and will take further action against individuals if this continues.

"The club is in discussion with the police and has asked for CCTV footage from Southampton and will try to identify those who disrespected the player's wishes not to sing the song."

Yeah... identify all of them. :rolleyes: It was pretty loving loud.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
I haven't missed Roy Hodgson and just hearing his post-match interview annoyed me.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

PirateBob posted:

"Man United want to identify fans who sung Lukaku song at Southampton

Manchester United have accused supporters who continued to sing a controversial chant about Romelu Lukaku at Southampton of "disrespecting the player's wishes."

The club have asked for CCTV footage of the away end at St Mary's to help identify the fans who sang the song, which has been condemned by anti-discrimination group Kick It Out, during the 1-0 win.

A United spokesman said: "Manchester United has a zero tolerance stance on offensive chanting and behaviour.

"The club and player have been clear in asking for an end to the chant.

"The club has worked with relevant bodies and supporters groups in trying to eradicate any offensive behaviour and will take further action against individuals if this continues.

"The club is in discussion with the police and has asked for CCTV footage from Southampton and will try to identify those who disrespected the player's wishes not to sing the song."

Yeah... identify all of them. :rolleyes: It was pretty loving loud.

There is no place at Manchester United for people with large genitalia. :smith:

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

That was a pretty frustrating game to watch.

- Anthony Taylor is an awful ref. Both goals shouldn't have counted and there should have been a penalty for the ridiculous holding/pushing on Lovren. I'm not sure if that was a penalty either as Migs did get the ball first. There were also some clear yellow cards Leicester got away with too.

- I thought Moreno had a surprisingly solid game. Gomez and Lovren were clearly shaky but Matip and Moreno were decent. Migs was a mixed bag but nice to see him save another penalty.

- Salah did what he does; miss an open goal and then score a great goal. Thought Chilwell did a pretty good job on him though, especially in the second half. Can see why we were interested in him. He's quick, tenacious and good defensively as well as going forward.

- Harry Maguire looks quality. He's a big lad but quick and comfortable with the ball at his feet.

- Our midfield is so inconsistent. Henderson had a solid game but Wijnuldum drifts in and out far too much for a centre mid and Can goes from sublime to ridiculous in seconds.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

Ewar Woowar posted:

That was a pretty frustrating game to watch...

... Wijnuldum drifts in and out far too much for a centre mid and Can goes from sublime to ridiculous in seconds.

I don't get Wijnaldum. He clearly has ability, but every touch of his where he was under pressure for the first... three quarters of the match, he got clowned, and then a couple moments in late game he looked like he did against Arsenal, dancing around defenders and looking confident. It's very frustrating. Lallana can't come back soon enough.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Wijnaldum has not clicked at all this year, but he was our best midfielder for large parts of last year. His regression is mystifying and annoying

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

tarbrush posted:

Wijnaldum has not clicked at all this year, but he was our best midfielder for large parts of last year. His regression is mystifying and annoying

Could be the recent baby.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Can looks really good imo. Shame they're gonna lose him on a free

Think Barca will be back in for Coutinho?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Can looks really good imo. Shame they're gonna lose him on a free

Think Barca will be back in for Coutinho?

Can can be good but he's loving useless defensively (he was arguably at fault for a bunch of goals recently because he has no desire to get back and tackle). If we can get him to sign a contract with a decent release clause rather than letting him go on a free I wouldn't be too annoyed.

Probably be world class in three years though.

The word from Barcelona that this was the only time they'd be in for Coutinho. I'm not convinced that's entirely true (especially if he continues to improve this season) but we'll at least have a year to prepare for his potential departure.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Paul Clement is "two games from the sack".

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

sassassin posted:

Paul Clement is "two games from the sack".

sacking people quickly worked really good last season, keep going for it imo

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Haha aye right. Barca are going to be back for him next year. That whole "This is your only chance" poo poo was to get him to throw a hissy fit so he would be sold this window.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

sacking people quickly worked really good last season, keep going for it imo

He's the most negative manager I've seen at this club. Has no idea what he's doing to set the team up to go forward. Good on him for fixing Bradley's mess but he's gone way too far with it.

Him, Makelele and Nigel Gibbs all went mental when Mesa gave the ball away leading to Watford's winner yesterday, and there were a lot of "I told you so's" thrown around apparently. But he made such a difference in actually getting the ball through midfield compared to Clucas who just hides from it and forces the centrebacks to knock it long. Plus Mawson hosed up an easy tackle to stop the attack. Ginger donkey believes his own hype, almost every Watford chance came from one of his gently caress ups.

We'll go five at the back with Clucas anchoring the midfield against loving West Ham and Huddersfield.

If we'd stuck with Guidolin things would be better.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

sassassin posted:

He's the most negative manager I've seen at this club. Has no idea what he's doing to set the team up to go forward. Good on him for fixing Bradley's mess but he's gone way too far with it.

Him, Makelele and Nigel Gibbs all went mental when Mesa gave the ball away leading to Watford's winner yesterday, and there were a lot of "I told you so's" thrown around apparently. But he made such a difference in actually getting the ball through midfield compared to Clucas who just hides from it and forces the centrebacks to knock it long. Plus Mawson hosed up an easy tackle to stop the attack. Ginger donkey believes his own hype, almost every Watford chance came from one of his gently caress ups.

We'll go five at the back with Clucas anchoring the midfield against loving West Ham and Huddersfield.

If we'd stuck with Guidolin things would be better.

time to bring in frank de boer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Guidolin was a good manager compared to what you've had after

• Locked thread