Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

beep by grandpa posted:

There's people that are exceptions of course but for me I can see next to no value for LTTP rando if you're not already semi familiar with the game and haven't beaten it a couple times to know what is required for what, etc

i dunno in the other thread people talked a big game about how good the commentators were and that it wouldn't matter even if you hadn't played the game so I thought I'd give it a shot while they presumably brought their A-game for this event

conclusion: no, knowing the game is basically mandatory

that being said it wasn't a tremendous clusterfuck or anything

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Ah, I missed the interview after the LTTP race :(

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

This dude's voice, hahaha

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai
For perspective on this event:

We just recently passed the mark for AGDQ 2012, at just under $150k.

We honestly had no idea how successful this event was going to be going in. We have a general idea for how our main events do, but this was untested waters, really. JRDQ wasn't even remotely the same scope of this. I am absolutely speechless at everyone's support on this event, even with so much else going on this weekend!

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
didn't know that jontron runs YI

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
"Nobody likes water levels, hang in there Houston!" :cripes:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Cory in the Blouse posted:

"Nobody likes water levels, hang in there Houston!" :cripes:

Hahahahaha

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mo_Steel posted:

This randomizer poo poo rules and needs to be at AGDQ.

I think the main issue is scheduling. It's hard to say if a run will take 2 hours like these did or be over in the blink of an eye.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
5-4 skip always owns to see

Bruceski posted:

I think the main issue is scheduling. It's hard to say if a run will take 2 hours like these did or be over in the blink of an eye.

Couldn't they take a seed, have someone test run it, and then surprise the actual runners with it?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Bruceski posted:

I posted about it in the last thread but the spread on runs seems to be about 1:15 at the shortest and 2hr at the longest, it can't be that hard to just block off 2hrs and just schedule in a quick game of DIE HARD (as an example) on an already set up NES somewhere if it goes significantly under estimate or something. Or just have a schedule block right after it to figure poo poo out. Wasn't the setup for TETRIS like 45min or an hour at SGDQ and it wasn't the end of the world?

The biggest hurdle bringing rando to a GDQ I think would be keeping the runners isolated from each others' screens, and the commentary. Someone smarter than me would have to figure out the logistics of that. I'll admit I'm kind of a purist here and would just want a GDQ rando run to match the lttp rando tournament setup as closely as possible but I just have no ideas on how that could be done without great compromise :shobon:

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 3, 2017

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
After that run and having actually attended a GDQ, it's almost certainly logistically possible. I can't think of a physical requirement that couldn't be satisfied.

I just raise questions about the quality of the thing but that doesn't seem to matter since people liked it anyway, but I still think it's basically unwatchable unless you already know ALttP fairly well and I actually totally dislike not being able to hear the runners and only the commentators. I kinda wanted to hear the player thought process but you can't do that unless the commentators and players can hear each other so they don't talk over each other, and if they can hear the commentators then that raises issues. Like, I just think there's better options, but if rando is really the thing they want to do, they can almost certainly do it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

After that run and having actually attended a GDQ, it's almost certainly logistically possible. I can't think of a physical requirement that couldn't be satisfied.

I just raise questions about the quality of the thing but that doesn't seem to matter since people liked it anyway, but I still think it's basically unwatchable unless you already know ALttP fairly well and I actually totally dislike not being able to hear the runners and only the commentators. Like, I just think there's better options, but if rando is really the thing they want to do, they can almost certainly do it.

Yeah I had written a post but discarded it but I was going to add that they should do a lot more to make it more accessible to newcomers (no unique sprites, no swordless stuff, no random cave entrances, keep it simple, maybe explain what the terms for beating the game are and what you need to do that, etc).

About the runners talking, to me it seems like it would be a bad idea to have them communicate with anyone since they could be given an unfair advantage and learn where critical items are since the commentators are seeing both streams and commenting on mistakes that are being made, what their opponents are finding and where, etc. Did you mean hearing them in some other way?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

beep by grandpa posted:

About the runners talking, to me it seems like it would be a bad idea to have them communicate with anyone since they could be given an unfair advantage and learn where critical items are since the commentators are seeing both streams and commenting on mistakes that are being made, what their opponents are finding and where, etc. Did you mean hearing them in some other way?

Yeah, it would be a bad idea and possibly give them an unfair advantage but I feel that comes at the cost of the players being able to explain their thought processes which I think is a whiff for a game that looks like a more cerebral exercise than most runs with its dynamic routing.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
they own

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
[X] Marriage Proposal

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
reading a literal ad

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I've heard this game is good and has a big following but it just looks like an ugly grey mess to someone who hasn't played it, and this guy is annoying

Edit: I can't follow what is going on because it looks like this 90% of the time:

BZZZZZT BZZZZZZZZZZZZT

Cory in the Blouse fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 3, 2017

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

I've heard this game is good and has a big following but it just looks like an ugly grey mess to someone who hasn't played it, and this guy is annoying

Edit: I can't follow what is going on because it looks like this 90% of the time:

BZZZZZT BZZZZZZZZZZZZT

that's because he's going fast. You don't need to hold down the fastforward button, and it is in fact not advised for people who don't have the entire game memorized.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

BZZZZZT BZZZZZZZZZZZZT

Viewtiful Joe was the first of the... not sure if there's a good term but I just say Platinum brawlers (Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Transformers et cetera)... that really clicked for me so it's got a soft spot in my heart. But yeah, the theme of those games is "you just hit things at base skill levels and then there's this whole world of combos and techs and enemy tells and such that you learn as your skill improves but is completely impenetrable to newbies" and VJ's emphasis on cinema visual effects doesn't help the parsing.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Yeah I can appreciate the movement tech and stuff of going fast, but with all the weird sliding around and zooming in/out it just looks like you're trying to 8X FF>> past a Ken Burns documentary recorded in SLP on a VHS

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Slightly unrelated but that's what I hate about newer fighting games. Every attack and special move has to incorporate a huge effect and explosions and poo poo flying everywhere and it screws with my head visually when I'm trying to see my opponentl.

:corsair:

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It's kind of blowing my mind that there is a parody cigarette ad in Mario kart 64... was that in the US version because I don't really remember it - tho I never played mk64 much.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

abagofcheetos posted:

It's kind of blowing my mind that there is a parody cigarette ad in Mario kart 64... was that in the US version because I don't really remember it - tho I never played mk64 much.

Changed for the US version.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

watch out for that egg

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Always a good run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuX5_OWObA0

Now time for some Super Metroid!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Let's go Phantoon

Although I gotta call it a night, have to watch the remaining stuff VOD. The FFIV run in RPG Limit break last year was really entertaining, hopefully this will deliver too.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Bruceski posted:

Viewtiful Joe was the first of the... not sure if there's a good term but I just say Platinum brawlers (Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Transformers et cetera)... that really clicked for me so it's got a soft spot in my heart. But yeah, the theme of those games is "you just hit things at base skill levels and then there's this whole world of combos and techs and enemy tells and such that you learn as your skill improves but is completely impenetrable to newbies" and VJ's emphasis on cinema visual effects doesn't help the parsing.

"Character action" is the term I've seen used most, but I don't think there's a single universally used term.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Bruceski posted:

Changed for the US version.

Ah, that makes sense, though I'm still surprised to see it in a Nintendo game. Then again Japan sure loves smoking so I guess it wouldn't have been very controversial.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

reposting for accuracy

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
This is a super interesting category, I've never seen this category before.

hemoptysis
Jan 4, 2007

y-y-YAY
:ohdear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPvmIxu-LSA

NOT TODAY PHANTOON

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
lol fighting spore spawn don't these guys know how to run sm

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Lord Chumley posted:

lol fighting spore spawn don't these guys know how to run sm

I pray for the day they find a way to wrong warp from sporespawn to the escape

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I love the chatter between them.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

I think that was the friendliest, comfiest race I've ever seen commentated.

The category was really interesting as well.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
That was really neat, I enjoyed that a lot.

I don't like watching Final Fantasy runs but I bet we can easily raise 10k before it's over.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Feels weird to watch a Super Metroid race that's actually chill and fun.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Star Platinum posted:

Feels weird to watch a Super Metroid race that's actually chill and fun.

that pokes fun at the last one, no less!

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

i dunno in the other thread people talked a big game about how good the commentators were and that it wouldn't matter even if you hadn't played the game so I thought I'd give it a shot while they presumably brought their A-game for this event

conclusion: no, knowing the game is basically mandatory

that being said it wasn't a tremendous clusterfuck or anything

I mean nobody got told to kill themselves in front of shuttle.

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
1337 damage virusing Cid :awesome:

• Locked thread