Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
A few years ago I realized that retail management was garbage and decided to change careers. I spent six months working all the hours I could as well as being extremely frugal so I could save money. At the end of that six months, I quit my job and enrolled in a technical certificate program at a local community college for manufacturing and production operations (this was not a good field to become interested in, in hindsight, though I am much better off today than I was back then). After I finished my first semester I started throwing out resumes and filling out applications on indeed.com left and right. Got several interviews right then and there, and started working in manufacturing. I got experience running machines and making things, which I had never done before, and have since moved on to a much more relaxed, better paying position yet again.

With a little bit of money, some diligence with regards to what sort of jobs and pay are available in your target field/location, and the drive to improve, switching careers isn't so tough. I could see it being more difficult for someone who is more entrenched in one field starting over in another, but it's for sure doable. For years I had griped to people that the best thing that could ever happen to me is to get pissed off enough to walk the gently caress out of my retail position, and it has proven completely true. Go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread