Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

You own an Apple TV. You like the idea of Plex – roll your own Netflix – but you have taste and find the Plex UI dumb and transcoding a useless hassle. You're streaming over a LAN, so what's the point of a full-on server when you'd rather just direct stream from a cheap NAS? Maybe you have super high quality/bitrate media like Blu-ray remuxes and don't want compression anyway. But you're disappointed with Plex's implementation of direct play. Enter Infuse.

Infuse is a library browser and video player for Apple TV and iOS. It has a gorgeous and deceptively simple UI in front of a rock solid playback core that can stream pretty much any file type you throw at it, including DVD and Blu-ray folders, fast as poo poo. You will be absolutely flabbergasted by how smooth and responsively this baby can play huge files over 802.11ac. It requires a minimum of janitoring to get set up and maintain, and automatically pulls metadata for your files.

Since I got this app I have been screaming at everyone I know about how great it is and why are you still using Plex like some kind of Philistine??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

You're streaming over a LAN,

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

You don't need to use a cloud service to stream from it remotely, although I haven't found a need to do so yet personally.

https://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000074153-Streaming-Away-From-Home

I would agree that it's primarily an at home solution where it is leagues better than Plex. I use it to stream from a DS216j to an Apple TV / LG B6. Transcoded video is unacceptable under those circumstances!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 4, 2017

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Kodi's interface is even more poo poo than Plex's, and I find the Infuse playback core more compatible and responsive over LAN.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The use cases are slightly different. Plex is good for remote streaming/transcoding. Infuse is good for playing high quality media losslessly over a LAN. Most of the people I know are using Plex in situation B, and it is deeply suboptimal for that, in terms of quality, reliability, compatibility, ease of use, etc.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

These are the pro-only features, probably not make-or-break for a lot of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

UI, format compatibility, and in my experience, reliability with large high-bitrate files.

• Locked thread