Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I'm kinda wondering how hooking up would even work for someone in her position. Seems like it would be extremely weird/awkward to constantly hear your partner's thoughts.
The author could always go the route where her telepathy cancels out at the end. Either that or the comedy route where telepathy is contageous and now Todo can hear thoughts too. I honestly haven't thought about the Nobel's end game for that part of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MJP posted:

Sheerly out of curiosity, how many people in this thread watched Kotoura-san? It's more or less the same premise of involuntary telepathy on the part of the female lead, and it's surprisingly nicely done.

Well given the last couple of posts I decided to check it out. That first episode had a pretty bleak opening and the story has a very different execution despite the overlap in concepts this one is far more wacky. I'm not sure if this is going to be addressed either but my biggest question is; why did Koutora never develop a filter between what thoughts she hears, and what she tells other people? I thought that made perfect sense in MT with Aya to just withdrawing from social interactions without tipping her hand once she had a few events where her telepathy caused friction with others. Especially at a young age. But Kotoura just kept going with it to the point that everything collapsed around her as more and more people distanced themselves away from her and her insight. And the fact that apparently none of these doctors concluded that she could read minds also bothered me. It's not like it's a bad setup at all, but I'm curious how this will pan out.

And what is up with Muroto's face? I've seen that sort of number three (3) mouth on the character from world trigger but I don't know what expression that's supposed to mean?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Onean posted:

She did stop, but she was still in the same school as some of the kids in elementary school and they didn't let it go. She's in an entirely new city for high school now, but she's so withdrawn people still think she's a weirdo and avoid her.
That's just the thing, when she transferred schools she keeps telling people their thoughts. Right when the class rep and her friend walk up she rebukes them both for what they are thinking and in the second episode the whole reason the ESP club sought her out was because of the rumors circulating about her mind reading.

quote:

I think the 3 mouth is usually used for pursed lips, like pouting, being upset or kissing? I'm not sure why Muroto uses that expression so much though, probably just something the artist liked.
Yeah, I don't know the reason they are making a perpetual kissy face. I'd say it's some flavor of smug being used but when the character doesn't act smug like in WT I don't know anymore.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

That's not how cyberspace works.
I have it on good authority that the internet is in fact, a series of tubes.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
God I love these nerds.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

"I don't want Toda to think I'm lame... but if I try to dress myself I will be exposed for the lame-o that I am"

Finally a manga character with a struggle I can understand.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
As someone who doesn't buy graphic shirts because he can't trust himself. I get Ayako's struggle because I have terrible terrific taste in clothing.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Dire Lemming posted:

Aya has a reputation of being willing to help out with basically anything, which was established way back at the start I think. So it's not a particular teacher it's just some teachers take advantage of her helpfulness.

Which means it's time for Aya to start asserting herself and not take the fall for what seems to not be her problem.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

More than that, she seems to only hear thoughts that are of the verbal variety -- If someone isn't subvocalizing, just imagining, I don't suppose she'd be able to catch that thought.

She can as that is what the mental images she gets are. But the problem there is that her mind is supplying the imagery so she frequently misinterprets info she has little information on which is why she couldn't create an accurate image of Toda's ex girlfriend. Not only that, but when she does know the subject matter she injects her own perception onto it so just like in the previous chapter; if she asks someone to visualize say, a document, she would see what she would put on it and not what they would.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
In theory, the better she knows a person the more accurate her interpretation of their thoughts becomes. But since she's not seeing 1:1 inside their heads there is always room for error.

Edit:
She is supplying all the imagery, but the framework of the thought is still rooted in the other persons head. That was what she discovered when she realized that while Toda is imagining lewd things about her, she's using her own memory as the basis for the image.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 9, 2018

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Elephant Parade posted:

but why did the teacher not explicitly decide who got the recommendation until the last minute. like, "actually you need to study for this test" is something the losing candidate should've been informed of way in advance???

From what I've seen in my own education, and what I've heard of Japanese education systems; I can believe that someone didn't make a decision until the last minute.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

I think the idea is her mother is basically scream-thinking

Scream-thinking is just a funny word when you think about it.

Also liking the variety in hair styles these past few chapters.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

She should just go out and meet Toda wearing the boob nightgown (or whatever that is) from the second panel just to see his mental reaction.
Pretty sure that's just her bra.

Super Jay Mann posted:

That brings up a good question though, just how much... stimulation would Toda truly need to outwardly emote in any way?
Has he seen her in a swim suit? That should do it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

I dunno, he saw her bra through a wet t-shirt that one time and he didn't even flinch, a swimsuit may not even be enough.

You underestimate the effect seeing the actual thing will have. Heck, a little side and/or underboob and he'll be sweating bullets.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The absence of thought bubbles is nice. It's Toda's time to shine.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I don't think there's a set age where people develop their ambition; it depends greatly on the individual. That being said this page hits close to home for me as well.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

true but to this point he's being smooth as gently caress

On multiple levels from Aya's perspective.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Drunk Theory posted:

Man, Aya is kinda a depressed, low-self esteem person isn't she.

I can relate.

:same:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Doesn't it kind of depend how far they're going for university? Like even if the universities are different, if they're in the same or nearby cities it's not exactly a big deal.

It's real easy to drift apart even when you are in school in the same area as you start to move further down your curriculum. Especially since Toda is going into Medicine and I barely saw the friends I made at College who went into the Pharmaceutical field. The problem here is Aya is intimidated by making new friends and she wants her current group to stay together going into the future; but reality is that for many reasons, people who are close may see each other less and less as time goes on.

Right now Aya's got to get over that realization because she can't cling to just one group of friends for comfort as time goes on. Doesn't mean she'll lose her friends and confidants, but she'll need to be able to forge new bonds and maintain some longer distance relationships with her other friends.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Venuz Patrol posted:

we drifted from toda's fantasy to aya's fantasy at some point

Oh that would be precious if true.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I still think that the individual provides the script but Aya supplies the visuals. So the location is the same in both people's minds but they look different given Ayas differing experiences.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Once again justifying my disdain for Cats as housepets.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I get the impression she just gets the vague idea from him of "a college reunion where we're dating and then hook up" and everything else is hers. The dialogue might also be from Toda, but wasn't Sano mentioned in the dialogue? Posting from phone so it's a pain to go back and check.

Toda directly acknowledges Sano in the daydream, so yeah. That just reinforces the notion that Aya was doing the brunt of the work. I'm sure the lewd was Toda's doing though...right?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This is incredibly heartwarming. I can't articulate better than that.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
That's one smug croissant

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Bit a leap in logic for that last step Toda.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Page title is on point.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

iospace posted:

Cockblocked by the bus.

At least it wasn't fireworks.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

quote:

...I'll think about it...

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

He clearly has her well-being first and foremost in his mond, Toda is a good boy and I will not have anyone say otherwise :colbert:

Yeah, this is a much better reason to postpone a confession. He's still worried about being rejected but his first thought was about her exams. His heart is in the right place.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I always pictures him as a plant.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Acquiring a lot of types of evidence would be piss easy if you could get people to think about where they put stuff or where they were if you need to break their alibi.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Vengarr posted:

You can tell they're Japanese. If I asked a friend how far he went on a date, and he replied with "I took her to D University"... :pervert:

But not before she rode the D-line all the way there.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

havenwaters posted:

Also a ponytail's a good look for Aya.

It's kind of nice having a character that constantly changes their hair. More author should do this.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

boredsatellite posted:

I think she's just sleep deprived personally

I can see this. Could relate to the course she discovered two chapters ago.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Welp, yeah she's upset but Mana is best friend/wingman and is here to help.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Absum posted:

lmao @ Mana being just as good at "mindreading" as Aya, using regular social skills

I've sctually gotten used to Aya reading thoughts and responding I didn't even notice Mana "reading" Aya.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Shimizu :unsmith: he's a good boy. Such a good boy!

When he first showed up I thought the author was going to make a love triangle and use the fact that he's more open with his thoughts and wears them on his sleeves to contrast with Toda's poker face. I'm glad that route didn't happen and instead we got a big purple puppy.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Aya's a good girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

havenwaters posted:

new comic

good question Aya. Where even is Toda. Is he actually watching this? I mean he's gotta be but dude where?

Toda is secretly a stand user.
And honestly, Kudos to the Redrawers/Typesetters. I wouldn't know this series was being translated from another language they nail the look perfectly.