Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Nordick posted:

Also Jade, I'm not sure where you're getting the 20 buck price tag from, the expansion only costs 10 as far as I know.

there's a supporter tier version that comes with an extra banner for 20 bucks, the DLC only version only costs 10 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well alright, but the point remains that he doesn't have to pay 20bux for it :v:

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Nordick posted:

Also Jade, I'm not sure where you're getting the 20 buck price tag from, the expansion only costs 10 as far as I know.

I was thinking of the BattleTech DLC which just came out as well.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Jade Star posted:

I was thinking of the BattleTech DLC which just came out as well.

Sadly, that one did not come with unreasonable pay hikes for mercenaries. :saddowns:

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.
The additional features in the DLC are, I think, worth the $10, but it's a shame there's no way to regen your game world with the added features. I'm not sure how many of them you could even gain access to, as I don't think any of your towns would have some of the new buildings? The new items to upgrade armour and such are kind of neat, though, and I'm enjoying being able to repaint all my shields in company colours; even if it makes it a lot harder to tell them apart.

Definitely agree on the balance issues with wages and such though. I also thought that the 'try out' option was going to be more in-depth and was pretty disappointed with it. Also disappointed that there isn't an option to more reliably set up your formation of your Brothers still since I'd quite like to be able to reliably have my back line be in my back line.

Oh well. Some good, some bad, it's nice that they're still developing for the game and willing to listen to feedback and offer the rollback option.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Is it OK to do a sperg post on new stuff from the expansion?

I didnt actually fought all the new enemy trooptypes yet, but there certainly are a lot more options for weaponry now.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Bacchante posted:

Also disappointed that there isn't an option to more reliably set up your formation of your Brothers still since I'd quite like to be able to reliably have my back line be in my back line.

What? I have never seen the back line not deploy behind the front line except in ambush battles which are about 5% of all battles.

The pay hikes are pretty annoying but they are mitigated somewhat by increased contract rewards (killing beasts is relatively fast and profitable, and caravans are viable now instead of a trap) and being able to loot some reasonable stuff from beast groups which were previously worthless.

ModernMajorGeneral fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 2, 2018

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Mightypeon posted:

Is it OK to do a sperg post on new stuff from the expansion?

I didnt actually fought all the new enemy trooptypes yet, but there certainly are a lot more options for weaponry now.

Yeah go for it. I'm not going to be showing off the DLC in the LP so it's not going to be spoiling or talking about anything I plan on showing off.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
The Black Parade, days 93-94

The Company has a long way to get back home. The plan is to cut west until we get to Filzmoos and then follow the road back to Ivendorf. Now it could be a fairly dull but long march there, but if it was then I wouldn't have split this up from the previous update.

And we don't have to go far to start finding trouble on our way back. The pack of ghouls should leave us alone. A pack of nine of them doesn't really pose much of a threat to us and they should know it. However, the Hideout of the Insane Master sounds like a good opportunity to deal another blow to the undead, and by the scouting report there is only a single fallen hero. That seems pretty manageable for us to clean out, and hope for some good loot at the same time.

Hideout of the Insane Master

Let's hear it for our archers on this one. Killing the necromancer so quickly with some tough, low percentage shots really makes the fight easier. With no possession being cast every round the fallen hero was a lot less dangerous, and even still Klaus was able to stun it with a mace hit to really stop the fallen hero from ever becoming a real threat. After that the melee was pretty predictable, especially with the high ground advantage. Travel Log and Ralepozozaxe taking heads off zombies so they didn't get back up is also always a nice thing.

The loot isn't bad either, a couple of treasures and 220 in crowns made this fight pretty profitable. I was hoping for something rare or unique, but a good helping of cold hard cash isn't bad either. No injuries to report either, which is always nice, and doubly so when so far away from any friendly cities or towns.

Moving on from the Necromancers lair and crossing some forests to get back to Filzmoos when something happens...

How neat. I am pretty sure this event is related to Rcharo being a retired soldier. It's the first time I've seen this event happen though, and it's pretty cool. I think I've said it before but I'll say it again, this game has a lot of these cool little flavor events that add a really nice touch, I just wish they happened a little more often because they do a great job of adding some more feeling or personality into your men rather than 'dude that is good with sword #4'.

Also, I just wish I got the ones that upped soldier stats more often too.

Hey, Filzmoos is in sight... But uh, do you smell smoke? And see that burned out building... and the bodies lying around it?
Ah, crap. Looks like we arrived right as Filzmoos is being raided. While I am happy to defend it, we won't be getting paid to do it. Whatever, let's see who is giving Filzmoos a hard time.

Oh, it's the undead. Don't see them raiding towns too often. Well this should be good for a bit more war score versus the undead crisis.

Defending Filzmoos

Honor Guard? Oh, fun... Well I guess it's about time we saw what the top tier units the skeletons can bring to a fight are like. I am increasingly mad I'm not getting paid for this now.

It doesn't like the Honor Guard are anything particularly new, just better versions of the Legionnaires with heavier armor and better stats. And those war scythes, gently caress those things. Having looted one of those I'm eager to give it a try in a fight where the enemy bunch together in a big battle line. While they aren't as good as a pike for single target attacks the ability to hit three guys at once is amazing and cannot be overlooked.

Their helmets are also fairly decent, perhaps something we might have made use of earlier in the game. At 180 armor for -13 fatigue and -3 vision they have a better armor to fatigue ratio than most gear looted off undead. However, it still is strictly inferior to Klaus' bascinet with mail, offering 210 armor for the same -13 fatigue and only -2 vision. Probably won't be using them, which is kind of a shame because they do look cool. I expect they'll be worth 150 to 200 crowns at a market though.

Ralepozozaxe got nailed in the head by one of those things and barely got out of combat alive. Somehow without a serious injury even. That's pretty amazing and I'd be real sad to see him get killed now. He'll have plenty of time to recover on the trip back to Ivendorf.

Lastly Flamester leveled up from the fight. Now at level 10 I was a little light on strong picks for him. Typically, Berserker is a good pick for that extra AP but I'm kind of leaning away from it these days. In the end I went with Killing Frenzy just for that big damage boost. Getting that extra punch in for two turns can help chew through lesser enemies with less attacks needed and help keep momentum on our side.

Just a quick stop inside the town. It's too late at night to do anything in town and I bought out most of their supplies on the way out here so there isn't much point in sitting around waiting for the market to open in the morning.

We pass by a house company of 23 men on the road out of town. You guys are a little late to the party. Though hey, at least the kingdom is trying to defend itself. A house company that big would be a really tough fight for us. Mostly cause I can only field 12 men. Stupid gameplay limitations.

Eichendorf is busy today, two trade caravans passing by (might only just be able to see the second one at the bottom of the screenshot) and they hired a mercenary company too. I don't see that very often, but it's nice to see other mercs out there from time to time. I'd guess 8 men and two war dogs, so a pretty small company but NPC mercenaries tend to come pretty well equipped. Typically tier 2 or 3 weapons, and chainmail at least.

We are all headed south it seems and the forest around the roads provides a natural habitat to brigands looking to ambush caravans. It's not our fight and we're not getting paid for it, but killing 8 brigands will be a really easy fight at this point and well worth the exp gain and the bit of loot we'll take from them.

Targets of oppertunity

This won't be a hard fight.

That went about as piss easy as I expected with the one exception of Herpicle being hit in the head with a military pick's secondary attack. That really ruins armor, but always only deals 10hp damage. So long as Herp didn't get hit a second time in the head he wasn't in any danger. Still, a little bit scary when you're marching into what you expect to be a cake walk and then see one of your guys helmets disappear.
The loot really isn't that much, but it'll be a few hundred extra on top of everything else we have to sell, and it was a quick fight that leveled up Mojangles, who gets Berserk. This will let him swing twice like Travel Log does, given that he has two targets in melee range.

The rest of the march back to Ivendorf is calm, although we did march past three more battle sites along the road. There might be a lot more brigands out there, or maybe that group we just killed has been particularly active. When we finally, at long last, make it back to Ivendorf we're greeted by the Baron.

Finally, back to town. Time to relax, mend some gear, and think about how to spend all this money.

My first thoughts about spending the company's money are 'Not here'. The second thought is about those contracts on offer, possibly a lot more good money for us to earn next time we set out. So, join me then, I just have a feeling the three skull noble contract will be to fight some more undead.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Some of the new monsters are pretty interesting. The taxidermist mechanics are pretty fun as well.

Notable monsters:

Webknecht: Spiders. They mostly web you, webbed mercs do not get armor vs further webknecht attacks and are more seriously debuffed then you would be from another source (roots or net). The good thing: They have really bad morale, and their stats are also so bad that you can hit them despite being webbed. They are an issue in mixed stacks, which Hexes occasionally bring to the table.

Hexes: Pretty annoying caster. Will steal your mercs. Key things here:
A) Clubs. Stun your charmed dudes, it is a pretty cunning and smart thing to do. B) Nets. Net your charmed guys. I mean, seriously, if they get charmed by a witch they are probably up for some BDSM anyway. Also, if you know something is going to get charmed next turn, drop his weapon! Last but not least, Dogs have pretty good resolve and can actually kill a witch in close combat.

Hexes typically have an Unhold with them. They are kind of like Orc Warriors, but with an AOE attack and hitpoints rather then armor. The best way of dealing with him is one really tanky defensive brother while the rest stabs it from afar. They have a Chainlike attack which hits everyone around, and another attack which hits and exchanges positions with whoever they are hitting. So ideally, your pike bros are not exactly behind the guy who is shieldtanking them. In contrast to Orc warriors, Unholds have no way to get rid of shields, so these are pretty good.

Alps are more like a minigame then like an enemy. They have an AOE sleep. However, any awake brother can wake up all brothers around them with a 4AP 5 Fatigue action. Basically, you need some guy with high initiative and high resolve to set up a "wake everyone eventually" chain. They are resistant to ranged attack, but die to like 2 melee hits. If a brother doesnt get woken up, he gets hit by some pretty nasty lifedrain nightmare attacks.

Fun thing: You can combine a normal net and spider silk, which spiders drop pretty often, into a reinforced net with -15 on the chance to break free. Its actually quite a lot, and I have not seen the AI use the "free ally" command yet.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
The Black Parade, days 94-97

Ah Ivendorf, I haven't missed you. But since we're here, we may as well see about those jobs on offer.

Ah thieves, our old friend and early game bread and butter. Well, let's go kill some chumps that don't stand a chance.

Those are some easy tracks to follow. Big and right on the road leading out of town.

But then they cut off road and into the mountains. drat it, that's going to slow things down.

Ugh stop running away and let me kill you, you assholes.

Seriously BB Dev's, make thieves not run away and waste our time.

Yeah gently caress these guys.

Thieves of Ivendorf

A good stack of brigands. This would be a challenging fight in the mid game, but I'm pretty sure we're just going to roll all over them and laugh as they die in obscurity.

Well we took some hits to armor but only a tiny amount of damage taken to actual HP so no big deal there. The mountain terrain was certainly annoying though, making it hard to get the battle lines the way I wanted. We out matched them man for man though, so getting a proper battle formation didn't matter too much overall. One neat thing was seeing the undead brigand rise up and get attacked by his former comrade. I don't think I've seen that before and it's nice to know the undead that raise up aren't somehow on the same team as whomever we are fighting. There was nothing particularly exciting among the loot, but it'll all sell well enough back in Ivendorf for an added bonus on top of the mission payment.

That is a good offer, double what we're being paid. It's worth a consideration but the company isn't short on funds right now and about 900 extra crowns doesn't seem worth it to me to piss off Ivendorf. I refuse, and the figure slinks away. Dirk's not paying us to kill whomever hired the thieves.

Had a couple levels ups from the fight to take care of. Shin made it to level 10 and picks up Backstabber to help with the whole flail thing. Should let him reliably aim for the head with Lash when dudes get surrounded. Flesnolk hits level 11 and gets two perks thanks to Student. The first is Killing Frenzy for that extra damage boost. The second I had to think a long time about, there were a lot of lukewarm options to pick from. Since Flesnolk is a sword user and I do want some variety I picked Crippling Strikes for him. Won't be so useful against the undead, but it may come in real handy against anything else. I kind of regret the undead crisis in a way, I'd like to have a company full of crippling strikers and see what that does to orcs or human enemies.

The return to Ivendorf is swift and uneventful. Our pay is collected promptly and I once again lament the sad state of Ivendorf's marketplace while unloading some dead brigand gear. Still, we made a good chunk of money for something like a half days work. There's nothing else to do around town but check out the remaining job offer.

Dang, I didn't expect to see this kind of money come out of Ivendorf. Another two undead lair mission, three skull difficulty and paying way more than we've seen before. I'm really suspicious about what will be guarding those lairs now. This feels like I should be prepared for a couple of really hard fights. This could be a real challenge, I'm excited.

The lairs aren't too far away either. Nice. We'll start with the one on the west and then have a bit of a march over to the eastern one. Might give us time to mend and repair between fights.

First up is the Sanctum of The Dark Arts. You know, I wasn't thinking about it while I was traveling over here, but I really should have expected a place named like this to be a necromancer's lair. The necromancer has a lot of protection too, a huge number of zombies, a few fallen heroes as body guards probably, and worryingly a number of spooky ghosts that will likely be well screened by the hoard of zombies so they can play havoc on our morale. Necromancer fights have been occasionally tricky, mostly due to possession and fallen heroes, but this might be the most dangerous necromancer fight we've had to deal with yet.

Sanctum of the Dark Arts

This was a long fight. Cutting through that many zombies takes a lot of time, and also a lot of stamina. It didn't become too big of an issue until the very end where some of our brothers with lower stamina totals started to run out. Nabster has a pretty low stamina pool for example. I think he has about 53 stamina after all the gear he's wearing. Flesnolk on the other hand has 95, nearly double that and went the whole fight without problem. Some of this is gear, level ups, and perks like Brawny. Some of it is just what they're doing in combat. Flesnolk was just swinging his sword, which is only 10 fatigue minus 25% for sword mastery twice a turn, so 16 fatigue spent and 15 recovered a turn. Nabster with the khopesh used Decapitate a few times to take the heads off zombies to make sure they didn't get back up, but that takes more stamina a swing.
We managed to handle the ghosts pretty well I thought. Getting one killed in melee early and then otherwise not breaking and Rcharo managing to rally everyone back before morale became an issue. Got through the fight with only two injuries, the second one coming at the last possible moment was kind of a bummer. Both injuries came from fallen heroes of course.

I was hoping for some special treasure, a unique piece of gear or something but those piles of gold coins are easily a thousand crowns each so we'll be making plenty of money off of this fight when we can sell this loot.

After a fight that big, we have some level ups to take care of. Sir Dave hits level six and gets underdog. Wokow makes level 9 and takes Backstabber. Kind of surprised he made it this far with out picking it up since he's a thief background and not super great melee attack skill at 66 currently. That's why he's still using a spear, to shore up his lackluster melee skill. Backstabber will help him land more hits too now. Nabster will contemplate his broken elbow and learn Battle Forged to make his armor last longer. He also picks up some much needed maximum stamina, putting him at 57 points with all his current gear on. Herpicle gets to level 7 and will also be learning Battle Forged as he heals from his injury.

As we trek on to the next location a familiar problem shows up again. We're out of tools. Those big battles take a toll on armor and gear even if you win decisively. You're just not very likely to make it out of a fight like the last one with out taking some damage, and even if you don't take injuries or HP damage your armor is likely to get a bit beat up and that is the case here. Only two men really took injuries, but the zombies still beat up a lot of peoples armor and we need time and a lot of supplies to mend everyone's gear and we are out of those supplies. I can rotate out the people with the most beat up armor, but we're going to need to clean out a few towns worth of supplies soon.

Arriving at the Coven of the Old Master the scout report tells us it is full of skeletons and has necrosavants in it. gently caress that. I'm not doing any fight with necrosavants unless I feel like the company is at full strength and ready for it. If we show up with some of our men with half durability armor the necrosavants are going to home in on that weakness and murder the hell out of them. Time to think about putting off this fight for the moment.

Looking around I see we're kind of in the middle of nowhere, but Gelb isn't too far off and much more likely to have what we need than Ivendorf. It's going to delay our mission by a day probably, but there isn't much choice unless I want to fight necrosavants with holes in my armor. I do not want to do that. The plan becomes to make a pit stop at Gelb, unload the loot from the first lair and buy all their supplies and come back.

Of course, no plan survives first contact with hubris. What do we have here? Would hate to pass this dungeon up and forget about it. Wouldn't want to fight there before going back to the necrosavants, want to stay fresh for that fight. Better to attack this now on the way back to town so there will be time to... oh yeah, the supplies thing. Well, it's probably got nice treasure in there and whats the worst that could happen?

Tomb of Sir Donbert

Hubris!

Okay that wasn't so bad. It was like a less tough version of the previous fight. All the zombies were their weaker less armored and armed versions and no fallen heroes to be seen. Let's have a moment of silence for our fallen battle brother.
Okay moment over, he's not going to be missed that much. Dogs are not great in this game. They have little to no armor, seemingly little to no defensive skill, and a very rudimentary AI that just picks the closest target to attack. If the player could at least control them then they might have a use for circling around a battle line and biting archers or something in the back. As is, a dog that gets into melee with something that isn't routing is probably dead. This is why I don't spend money on dogs.

Also this loot, what the heck. I think we just killed the poorest necromancer in the land. Though the rather large amount of necromancers actually in this land is kind of concerning. Ah well, this could have gone worse for attacking blind and it helps tip the score against the undead crisis so all in all a good day I guess. Let's get to Gelb though, we need supplies.

While we head there, Mr. Yar hit level 11 so he's got a couple of perks to pick from. The first is Killing Frenzy for that sweet 25% damage boost after a killing blow. The second took a long while to think about but eventually I settled on Overwhelm.

I think we have seen enemies with this skill before. Brigand Leaders have it I believe. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I haven't used it extensively either. Getting attacks in for the debuff is pretty easy, but dependent on initiative order. I was just thinking to myself how little 10% or 20% really mattered, but take our men for example, each stack of that is something like a -7 to hit chance and -14 on a target is about the same effect as a basic shield, so it ends up sounding pretty nice. Maybe a little less good on my archers since they tend to only fire a single shot, rather than two quick shots, but still, I'm starting to think more about this skill and it may be pretty nice.

I found some more undead on the way to Gelb and decided to stay away from them. Another 24 zombie pile up isn't what I need right now and we're not getting paid to kill them so Gelb and its mercenary company can deal with them. I just want to rest and repair.

Gelb is a big prosperous city and we haven't been back to it in a long time. It probably has some nice things for sale in that armory over there. Before that though I figure to check out who is for hire. Gelb is likely to have quality recruits and the company has been down a man for a while.

Hell yes does Gelb have some quality recruits. Now this is what you want to see when you have money and need some men.

...Phrasing.

Two hedgeknights are arguably the best background to hire from. They are solid all around fighters that are unlikely to ever disappoint. They may not have quite the sword masters' attack skill, but neither do they have the sword masters' stamina and health penalties. Adventurous Nobles are also really good, though if I remember right they suffer for a lack of ranged defense. Too head strong and busy charging into things you see. Despite these other great options here the real hire here is Sigmar, a Sellsword, probably tied for the hedgeknights in terms of great stats for no penalties. And I mean, his name is Sigmar, come on.

Sigmar is loaded up with gear the company had on hand, which isn't bad stuff. Though ignore the worn chainmail shirt he has in this picture. After recruitment I went to the blacksmith and bought two sets of mail hauberks and Sigmar got one of them. Megane gets the other set. I also found a war bow for sale for Mr. Yar so we are almost to the goal of having everyone with top of the line weapons. Just need one more war bow and maybe a noble sword or something for Flesnolk.

Sigmar is at a bit of a disadvantage since he is only level two. He is going to have to play a lot of catch up to rise to equal standing among the men. To that end Gelb has a training ground. A facility I have't paid any attention to until now since they're pretty expensive and seldom worth it in my opinion, but let's go take a look.

There are three kinds of training, though they all do roughly the same thing. Each one will provide a boost to exp earned for a few days. A sparring fight will give a 40% boost for the next 2-3 days, lessons will give a 30% boost for 4-5 days, and the schooling will give 20% for 6-7 days. Give or take. Schooling might be 5-6, I don't remember exactly but it tells you on the tooltips. It's a simple thing anyway, you pay money to get more exp on a particular fighter and the bigger the boost you pay for the shorter the boost stays active. Considering we're at least a day away from fighting, but I do know there is a big fight in our near future I opt for the veteran's lessons. That should give Sigmar a nice boost and last well past the upcoming fight with necrosavants.

Despite all this fine shopping the Gelb market only had one stack of tools and supplies to sell me. So, I bought what I could and gave the situation a bit of thought. There is another town up the road to the north, Hermannshof, that isn't far out of our way. I'll pay it a visit and hope it has more supplies to sell me before heading back toward the Coven of the Old Master.

Herpicles wound gets infected on the walk to Hermannshof. It sucks, but it's not a huge deal. The infection will heal by about the same time as his other injury, and he wasn't going to be seeing combat until that got fixed up anyway.

Hermannshof looks like it's seen some rough times. The grain field loots like it got looted or razed. Along those lines there isn't a lot in the market place either, a single stack of supplies which I buy despite them being marked up over 50%. Sigh. Endless bitching about tools continues. There is at least one nice thing about Hermannshof though.

It's got a temple, and it's not too expensive so I figure to patch up our men. We might be taking more injuries soon and keep everyone as well off as we can isn't a bad idea. There's not a lot to Hermannshoff so our trip is short and I won't waste time talking about the town, it's right back to marching.

As I approach the Coven of the Old Master I am greeted by an army of 21 undead. I could try to run them in a circle to get by them, but really if I want to attack the lair then I need to get rid of these guys. At least I can hope that the lair will have less defenders if it spawned this army. Still, not thrilled at having to have two big fights back to back here when I was already a little cautious about just the first one.

Coven Guards

God drat it. More necrosavants. I really don't want to take a bunch of injuries here and then have to deal with more of them in the lair.

That was remarkably not bad! The first turn the necrosavants moved they left themselves open to immediate attack. One of them getting hit by Ralepozozaxe and using Nine Lives right away and then dying to the next person to swing at it. I feel like I got pretty lucky there, those necrosavants only landed one hit for about 7 hp damage and some bleed on Wokow. It did help a bit that the fodder was mostly crappy skeletons that died quickly and didn't keep getting back up, and the rest of it was mostly crappy zombies so the necrosavants didn't have any real fodder to tie us down or tire us out with.

This fight didn't leave us with much loot to show for the effort. At least it dropped 8 tools so that's nice, but everything else is just junk to sell as soon as we get back to a town. The shimmering ashes claim they'll sell for a good bit of cash, but I expect that to work out kind of like ghoul teeth and the wolf pelt I'm carrying around and I'll be lucky to sell them for 25% of what they're worth. Even if this wasn't the most profitable fight in terms of money, it was rich in exp and the company has three level ups to take care of. Ralepozozaxe makes it to level 8 and picks up Underdog. Our new recruit is getting some mileage out of the training lesson and reaches level 3 already, picking up the traditional Fast Adaptation to cut down on missed attacks. Lastly Megane hits level 8 and picks up Brawny, giving him plenty of fatigue to last though a fight, or making him a suitable candidate for some heavier armor in the near future.

Now following this fight I'm still kind of in the situation I was when I wandered off to Gelb. I don't have everyone patched up to full, either HP or armor. I do have 11 tools left and it's morning so I decide to set up camp for a few hours, long enough to use what supplies we have and then make our attack. It might suck, but unless I'm willing to go on a much longer detour to go find supplies and stuff this situation isn't getting any better.

Coven of the Old Master

I've done all I can to prepare, and at least the necrosavants only have crappy skeletons to act as their distraction. Those will die quickly and will stay down so I can hope this fight wont be so bad.

Six Necrosavants was a few more than I was expecting. They really suck to fight and we took a lot more hits than last time. Took a few injuries, but at least no one was too close to death in that fight. The skeletons didn't provide much of a speedbump at all, and at best just served to keep a few people from repositioning onto nearby necrosavants during the fight. While this may not have been as dire as I thought it might be, I'm still real glad to be done with and going back to town.

But hey, that loot! A pile of silverware, an ornate golden tome, and a golden chalice, nice. That will get us some good money when we get back, on top of the huge payday for the contract. And hey, why is this helmet glowing red?

Why it's our very first piece of unique loot! At long last. A pretty solid and sturdy helmet, it is. 266 armor is a lot of protection, and -13 fatigue is pretty heavy for a helmet. But how does it stack up to some normal gear? I think the best thing to compare it against is Klaus' bascinet.

Compared against the bascinet it is trading a tile of vision penalty for 56 armor. Vision isn't really a big deal for melee guys 99% of the time, so that is a trade I would take on every single helmet our guys are wearing. Compared against Flesnolk's kettle hat with closed mail it offers 16 more armor for 4 less fatigue penalty and the 1 vision range, also a pretty favorable trade off. So it's lighter and stronger than any of its peers. A great find and glad to finally have some rare loot in the LP. Hope to find some more soon.

Man am I ever ready to get back to town. Sell off all this loot and treasure, and then spend a day or two resting and repairing our gear. Of course there were some level ups after that huge fight so let's take care of that first. Klaus reaches level 10 and since he's pretty well decked in armor I give him Rotation. Still not getting a ton of use out of that, but its ability to get a brother out of a dangerous situation is undeniably useful. Sigmar gains his second level in as many fights. He'll pick up Shield Expert to help keep him alive on the front line. Oh and the rare helm ends up on Megane's head since he'd just picked up Brawny, had some max fatigue he could afford to spend on heavier gear, and was wearing an old nasal helm (105 armor vs 266).

The return to town is uneventful and even claiming our reward to such a hard mission isn't even met by our employer but some guard with a sack of crowns. Whatever, we're rich for now. We need to do some shopping, sell all the looted equipment and find some supplies.

Called it, the ashes don't even sell for 20% of their listed price her. Maybe they are more useful in the DLC expansion with the crafting mechanics, but for me they are underwhelming. They get offloaded at the market along with our cart full of loot and net us about 2,700 crowns worth of net profit after buying some food, bandages, and three stacks of tools.

There is always more work to do though, even Ivendorf has plenty of job offers for us after we just got done with a pile of undead. The company is in good shape for the future though. Almost ten thousand crowns saved up, finally some supplies which we may eat through quickly, but we'll be alright for now. Hopefully some of the next contracts let us travel past some other towns and pick up more supplies from their markets. It would also be nice if after all this work we are getting close to putting the undead menace down for good. I've got plans to explore the uncharted west and pay greenskin territory a visit just to show off what we might find out there, but that should really wait until the undead stay in their graves.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 10, 2019

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Just a heads up, the Tomb of Sir Donbert video gets weird and glitchy from around the 4:30 mark.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
it seems to fix itself after 30 seconds, but what the gently caress.... I have no idea whats causing that. I'll check it in the morning, re-encode it, etc, but I'm hoping that it is not in the raw recording.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Jade Star posted:

it seems to fix itself after 30 seconds, but what the gently caress.... I have no idea whats causing that. I'll check it in the morning, re-encode it, etc, but I'm hoping that it is not in the raw recording.

There were a couple of more instances later on of it as well I realized later on as I watched. None as severe as that first one though.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Jade Star posted:

I doubt it's in the raw recording. Otherwise both you and Olesh would have noticed the keyframes going batshit.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's a weird glitch. A very mild case though to be fair.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I like Overwhelm on bow archers because it gives them another option to help out in battle when there's no good options for them to snipe. Since they're usually your lightest-armored Brother's they typically always go before anything worth putting a -20% attack/ranged skill on.

Plus it works no matter the result of the attack, so it also helps them do their primary job as well even if they're only firing a single shot (because overwhelm plus an injury malus is often nastier than two overwhelm stacks.)

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

EponymousMrYar posted:

I like Overwhelm on bow archers because it gives them another option to help out in battle when there's no good options for them to snipe. Since they're usually your lightest-armored Brother's they typically always go before anything worth putting a -20% attack/ranged skill on.

Plus it works no matter the result of the attack, so it also helps them do their primary job as well even if they're only firing a single shot (because overwhelm plus an injury malus is often nastier than two overwhelm stacks.)

Overwhelm is also a good "oh poo poo" tactic if your archers are engaged in melee somehow. I have had multiple times where an orc warrior breaks through to the archers, only to be overwhelmed into uselessness by a volley of close range arrows. Typically I can cut an orcs melee ability by over half (or whatever the max stacks of overwhelm are) and that gives some much needed breathing room.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Overwhelm is a good skill that I haven't used much in the past because of my tendency to put any melee brother in the heaviest armor possible, thus making them act slower than anything else. But I'm having fun trying new things for the LP.

Kind of wish it wasn't the undead crisis cause I kind of want to run a company of crippling blow / executioner bros. Neither of these skills are amazing on their own, but a whole battle line of like 7-10 dudes with both of them could be amazing.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 9, 2019

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
New link in the post for the battle at Sir Donbert's tomb, in case anyone was waiting for it. Posting this as its getting uploaded, so give it may need a little time to process.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
The Black Parade, Company status as of day 97

We've come a long way since the start. We've traveled all over the world, fought just about everything there is to fight (without buying the DLC!), lost some good men along the way and seen others retire with a sack full of crowns. The undead crisis continues on, but we've cleansed the land of many unholy sites and slain many unliving beasts. While the company rests in Ivendorf it is a good time to look at ourselves, take stock, and see just how much the company has grown.

Company stock and fiances first. At current we pay the company men 591 crowns a day and feed them 35 provisions a day (estimated cost ~75 crowns worth of food a day). Medicine has been plentiful enough from loot, and we've not had to pay crowns for medicine in some time. The same can be said for arrows and ammunition. Tools and supplies continue to run through the company like water and that is unlikely to change at any time. I've given that particular matter much discussion, but come to an easy metric for the costs of things. I estimate that each point of durability that must be repaired costs about 0.83 crown (highly subject to buying price. I am estimating 50 above base price because of personal experience/bias). It's not much, but it is something to think about when considering how much profit might be made from a fight. Taking a lot of armor damage is a lot better than taking it to the HPs, but it cuts into the profitability of the encounter too.

The company's supply wagon carries three sets of spare armor and helmets, should the need arise. Likewise three spare kite, heater, and wooden shields should currently used shields be broken. As well as several spare pikes, a couple of greatswords, two boar spears, a military cleaver, a fighting axe, two arming swords, and a spare dagger. Probably more than needs to be kept on hand, but the wagon has plenty of space.

The men, perks not listed in order taken;

Perks: Fast Adaptation, Student, Backstabber, Shield Expert, Brawny, Rotation, Mace Mastery, Underdog, Battle Forged.
Traits: Impatient (Will always act first on the first round of combat), Determined (Will start combat with high morale if permitted by mood)

Perks: Student (inactive), Dodge, Backstabber, Anticipation, Brawny, Sword Mastery, Reach Advantage, Underdog, Berserk, Battle Forged, Killing Frenzy.

Perks: Fast Adaptation, Student, Dodge, Backstabber, Shield Expert, Spear Mastery, Underdog, Battle Forged.
Trait: Brave (+5 resolve)

Perks: Student, Dodge, Anticipation, Brawny, Axe Mastery, Reach Advantage, Underdog.
Traits: Pessimist (-5 resolve at negative morale checks. Good mood fades faster), Disloyal (always content in reserve).

Perks: Fast Adaptation, Student, Backstabber, Shield Expert, Brawny, Flail Mastery, Underdog, Head Hunter, Battle Forged.
Traits: Sure Footing (+5 melee defense), Brute (+15% damage on a hit to the head, -5 melee attack).

Perks: Fast Adaptation, Student, Dodge, Backstabber, Anticipation, Hammer Mastery, Reach Advantage, Berserk.
Trait: Dexterous (+5 melee attack)

Perks: Fast Adaptation, Student, Shield Expert, Brawny, Hammer Mastery, Underdog, Battle Forged.

Perks: Fast Adaptation, Crippling Strikes, Student (inactive), Backstabber, Shield Expert, Brawny, Rotation, Sword Mastery, Underdog, Battle Forged, Killing Frenzy.

Perks: Crippling Strikes, Student )inactive), Bullseye, Quick Hands, Anticipation, Bow Mastery, Overwhelm, Footwork, Berserk, Fearsome, Killing Frenzy.
Trait: Sure Footed (+5 Melee defense)

Perks: Student, Quick Hands, Anticipation, Bow Mastery, Footwork, Berserk, Fearsome, Killing Frenzy.
Trait: Determined (Will start combat with high morale if permitted by mood).

Perks: Crippling Strikes, Student, Dodge, Fortified Mind, Backstabber, Anticipation, Rally the Troops, Footwork.
Trait: Optimist (+5 resolve at positive morale checks. Bad moods fade faster).

Perks: Student, Bullseye, Quick Hands, Backstabber, Anticipation, Bow Mastery, Footwork, Berserk.

Perks: Crippling Strikes, Student, Shield Expert, Cleaver Mastery, Underdog, Battle Forged.
Traits: Optimist, Bloodthirsty (All kills are fatalities (decapitations) if the weapon allows).

Perks: Fast Adaptation, Student, Shield Expert.
Trait: Gluttonous (eats one extra ration per day).

Perks: Fast Adaptation, Student, Backstabber, Shield Expert, Rotation, Axe Mastery, Underdog, Battle Forged, Killing Frenzy.

Perks: Fast Adaptation, Student, Shield Expert, Flail Mastery, Underdog.

Perks: Fast Adaptation, Student, Backstabber, Shield Expert, Axe Mastery, Battle Forged.
Traits: Deathwish (no morale check upon losing HP), Quick (+10 initiative).
Infected wound is lowering Herpicles stats. Normal max HP is 52, and normal max fatigue is 72.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Oh, Travel Log, you murderous motile chunk of tree at the heart of the company.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

NHO posted:

Oh, Travel Log, you murderous motile chunk of tree at the heart of the company.

The unnecessary secondary review! The company is overall in pretty good shape - at 17 strong, the company can soak a couple unlucky losses without getting staggered, and nearly everybody is at least adequate or better at their jobs - everyone else has been retired or filtered out through natural causes.

Two handers:
On paper, Ralepozozaxe and Mojangles are shaping up to be as good or better than Travel Log, but the convenience of the greatsword's two-tile attack is going to ensure that Travel Log stays ahead in kills. It's just way more useful to hit two tiles in a straight line most of the time than it is to swing at multiple adjacent targets in a "cleave" - frequently one of your brothers ends up in the way. As for why these guys are way better than the line, remember that two-handers sort of self-select into the role around 6th level - the highest melee attack/defense brothers get handed a two-hander around the time they'd be picking weapon proficiencies, because you don't want to risk losing a promising brother early because he wasn't using a shield at low levels.
Sigmar might have been a potential future two-hander with some better melee defense, but as it stands there's nobody on the roster to really step in and replace one of these three if something happens. That's not unusual, either - you rarely have "spare" two-handed brothers.

Archers:
Skippy is a slightly worse archer than Mr. Yar, but in the last two levels will end up slightly better, and his three stars of melee attack have made him as good at actually hitting things (or better) than most of the front line. None of the archers have turned out fantastic the same way the two handers have, but Yar and Skippy pull their weight pretty well. Frankomatic, sadly, just doesn't look very good on paper - he has more kills than Skippy, but he's just not shaped up very well in the long run. He's definitely a candidate for retirement, but while Jade has been keeping an eye out, potentially good ranged brothers just aren't very common, so there's no reason to send him home just yet.

The Line:
Klaus is kind of a wall. 81 melee attack is solid (if not great), 44/37 defense (counting the shield bonuses) is really solid. If he had a couple stars in melee attack and melee defense, he'd have been a decent pick to give a two-hander, but as it is, he's a linesman. If all of your linesman look like Klaus, you're doing pretty good!
Wokow is not Klaus. Wokow is a candidate for retirement as soon as someone better gets trained up to replace him. He's still using a spear at level 9 because he needs the extra to hit chance. He's the only really remaining "bad" linesman (sorry Wokow!).
Shinarato more like Klaus, but specialized for his traits. If Shin was using any other weapon instead of being specialized in flails, he would still be good. I'm not going to suggest that as a flail specialist, he's great, but he has the occasional opportunity to bop people in the head. He'd probably be a bit more effective if Sir Dave pans out; I feel like flails work better in pairs where they can focus down the head. Sir Dave looks like he's on track to end up a solid battle buddy for Shin, too.
Megane isn't going to shape up to be fantastic, but he's probably going to end up more or less as good as Klaus. Same for Flesnolk. The Nabster is also going to shape up solidly, although he's got some catching up to do. Flamester's defenses are a little low, Herpicle's like Flamester but shaping up to be more defensive. Overall the majority of the line is ending up very solid
Sigmar, as previously mentioned, might have been a good candidate for the two handed crew, but as it stands, he's on track for a whopping average 103 melee attack if he hits level 11. His defenses are nothing special right now and his fatigue is not great, but with a little luck, he could shape up to be better than the Klaus Standard.
Rcharo, unfortunately, is not as great as he could be - partly due to being the designated bannerman and giving up picks in favor of focusing on resolve. He's got solid melee attack, and can usually compensate for his terrible defenses by virtue of being the bannerman and not being in a position to take any return hits, but archers frequently find him the easiest shot and any enemies that actually get to him? Well, I'm pretty sure Footwork has kept him alive.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I will not hear you talk about Wokow and Frankomatic like they aren't precious members of the company that are awesome and deserves praise constantly and gold star stickers on all their gear!

Yeah we could be doing better for the spot, but with a 5 man spare rotation Wokow spends a lot of time in reserve. The crisis is upon us and training a replacement to high level would probably take too long to be worth it at this point.

Having three brothers using two handers is a first for me, usually I've never had more than two at a time. I get a little concerned about having all three on the field at once, feels like I'm giving up defense for it, but with their gear, perks, and defense stats, they're probably as good as the one handers.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
The Black Parade, Days 97-99

A quiet morning greets us in Ivendorf. After the last few days of marching around the land and fighting just piles of undead the company really deserves a break. Time to rest, relax, as well as mend a few wounds and repair our equipment. But Ivendorf has work for us and the land isn't going to stop the undead crisis on its own.

Well this is almost like a break, right? Okay not at all, but it sounds like an easy mission. Fight some more undead, recover a relic, make the villagers feel better about things, this is a good thing to do.

It is a bit out of the way though. No problem, travel time is recovery time.

And we could use some recovery time.

I don't know what happened here, but there was a lot of fighting. I have to just guess, but its a road next to forests so I'd guess brigands. With the undead around maybe something else happened and a hoard of undead wiped out a bunch of things. I'd be a little surprised if they stayed around one place long enough for four fights though. That seems more of the brigands' method of operation.

Just south of that lies our destination. I would feel better about this with a scouting report, but I am pretty sure I can safely expect skeletons.

You know, we've done this enough times I think we could expect the skeletons to be guarding the artifact and not be so surprised about it. I think I made mention of this before, but I'll do it again just because my memory is terrible; the goal of the mission is to return the artifact, which is gained in the event box just above. We don't need to fight the skeletons. Retreating from this fight would still let the mission succeed. Not that we're going to do that, but it's just a thought for anyone in the early game that might want to make a mission super easy on themselves.

Hill People Tomb

Fighting skeletons isn't so scary anymore. We can outmatch their front line skeletons pretty handily, but the pikes in the back will always remain dangerous. Just the one hit to Wokow seriously injured his hand, and it only did 17 hp damage through his armor. Kind of sucks, but it's nothing so terrible a few days' rest in reserves won't fix.

The loot isn't remarkable, as it never is from skeletons. We get what you'd expect, ancient weapons and heavy bronze helmets. Enough to sell for a bit of money and the 256 loose crowns should be enough to pay for Wokow to get treated at a temple. Fights are coming more frequently and are more dangerous than ever so I'm well in favor of patching everyone up as quickly as possible at this point in the game.

Yeah, why do all these skeletons seem to be pointing out me specifically? Wonder if it has anything to do with that dream.

Seeing some very big house companies marching down the roads. Don't know where they're going, but I hope they're off to fight some undead.

An almanach seems like a strange thing to pray to.

Ivendorf is quiet at night, but the town is in good spirits after the return of their relic. For a small town this place sure has been giving us a lot of work to do, and there is one more big contract available. Let's go see to it.

That is a suspiciously large reward for this contract. It is a siege, however, so this is serious business. We all know Westerholz by now, it's a nice town but small and probably without much in the way of defenders. I'd rather not see it destroyed so let us ride to battle and be glorious heroes! Well, I mean we would be if everyone wouldn't probably just curse us the day after we've saved them for being dirty sellswords. It's hard to get a lot of respect from the peasantry in this business.

Westerholz is in sight as the sun is coming up. Also it is nice to see Krakendorf has troops in the area. I don't know if they're here specifically to help or not, but it can't hurt to have some house companies running around the area supposedly covered in undead.

Oh, well that's a warmer welcome than I was expecting. Maybe I was wrong about the whole getting respect from the peasantry thing.

Yeah that's more like what I expected.

Inside the gates things aren't looking so great. The villagers are terrified, supplies are low, and many fear for their lives or have been killed already. With things this bad I hope the noble house that controls the town has sent a company to help. Of course, that company could be us, but I was hopeful they'd send their own house soldiers as well.

The temple is still operational at least, so we can patch up Wokow and Dave. They probably won't heal in time to help out with the upcoming fights, but getting every man to fighting health as soon as possible has become a big priority.

I am complaining about the cost of tools again. At least here it is understandable why the prices are so high. Our stock of supplies has almost run out and with a lot of fighting up ahead I don't have any choice but to pay these outrageous rates if I want to keep the company supplied.

Likewise look at the cost of grain here. Three times the base price. I don't need to buy any food for the next few days so it won't matter to us, but man, I don't think I've seen food prices get tripled before. After our brief shopping trip there isn't much to do in Westerholz but sit around and wait.

Thanks to some brilliant tactical maneuvering on my part here I was able to delay the undead horde long enough for this company of Krakendorf soldiers to come up the roads and see what was going on. At 18 strong they're a good hefty fighting force and I let them engage the undead before I join them as reinforcements.

There is no video here because I did almost nothing during this entire fight. The undead spawned at the north of the map, the militia and the house soldiers spawned at the west and east respectively, and the Black Parade spawned at the south of the map. I spent three or four turns just moving north until I saw and got near the fight. The fight went as I imagined it would, the militia were ineffective and died quickly while the house soldiers were more than capable of handling skeleton legionaries, especially when the house men out numbered the skeletons. By about turn 6 or 7 I was able to get a few of my men around the wall of house men and actually swing a weapon at the skeletons, but by the time I got to the fighting the result was already well decided. I managed to kill a single skeleton before the house men cleared the battlefield. So in respect for my viewers' time I'm just skipping this video, it wasn't interesting and it was super long because when the AI is fighting more AI the turns take a very long time. It was about 19 minutes and I didn't contribute diddly to the outcome of the fight.

We did however manage to find and or steal 12 tools from the fight, so that's cool!

All of the militia men in the battle died, because of course they did. Only half of them had anything close to proper gear, which for militia is a spear, a shield and a gambeson and isn't anywhere near good enough to go up against skeleton legionaries with. They should have just let the house company do the job and stayed back and just protected the flank.

An hour or so later and the Krakendorf men have marched off but a company from Hornborg has arrived. A little late but I haven't seen a mission complete message so there is bound to be another wave of attackers. Would be great if these guys stuck around for that, could really make this an easy mission.

I really like the writing of this event, but maybe we could have been slightly less of a dick to the poor guy? Ah well. In any case it's time to ride out and deal with the next attack. Hope those Hornborg men are still out there.

And they are!

Siege of Westerholz

But for some reason they do not engage with the undead, despite my best efforts to lure the undead toward the company men. The undead didn't really take the bait when the town center was closer to them than chasing our men down the road to reinforcements. So we'll have to deal with this fight ourselves and without any help. Sorry militia, but you guys aren't really a help. You're actually more likely to be an inconvenience by getting in my way, dying, and coming back as zombies.

That wasn't so bad. The main line skeletons aren't so scary anymore and we can deal with their high defense and shield walls pretty easily now. The pikes in the back remain dangerous as always and our two injuries are because of them. A big help to us in this fight was that the skeletons broke ranks for some reason when advancing. Probably because of the little hill that could give one of them height advantage to fight my line, but by rushing for it the skeletons moved out of formation and put several of their pikemen up front where their low defense and lack of shields got them killed quickly. Having pikes on the front line instead of their back did mean I wasn't willing to put our own archers up close enough to switch to their pikes, but they still contributed to the fight by firing into the second line of the skeletons and chipping away at their armor. All around, a nice job by the team.

After the fight there are two level ups to assign. Frankomatic becomes Fearsome to help ruin enemy morale before the front lines clash. Rcharo gets Recover, because honestly I've never picked that skill before, I want to see how it works, and there isn't a whole lot else Rcharo needs. He could get some of the more standard melee skills, but that isn't his real purpose in the fight. My mind went back to the last fight with the spooky ghosts and how much fatigue Rcharo can accumulate very quickly if he's constantly using the Rally ability. Recover is a 9 AP skill that reduces accumulated fatigue by 50%, essentially it is a turn skip to get back a lot more stamina than by just skipping a turn normally. I am curious to see how well it works in practice, because the math of it doesn't thrill me too much. Rcharo at current has 76 stamina left over after the penalties from his equipment. At the start of every turn everyone recovers 15 stamina, so the most fatigue Rcharo could have at the start of his turn is 61. So if he is max fatigued the most he can recover with this skill is 30 or 31 points of stamina. Not bad I guess. And then at the start of the turn after using Recover he will regain 15 points for 45 points of stamina. At best then, it seems like Recovery is a turn skip that recovers 3 times as much stamina as just skipping your turn with out the perk, and a 3x improvement seems like a worthy margin for a skill to offer for spending one of your 10 precious perk choices on. However I'm still not totally sold on it, as combat is usually short enough that each turns action is pretty precious. Though there are the occasional fights where things go long enough that everyone starts to fatigue out and spending a turn recovering would be great. So really, a lot of words here to say this skill is probably going to be very circumstantial, but of our men Rcharo is probably the second most likely of our men to be repeatedly hitting their secondary ability for big stamina drains. The first being Travel Log and the two tile strike through attack.

Westerholz still stands, though much of the militia does not. No indication that the siege is over so we set up camp to tend to wounds and wait for the next fight. Mojangles and Herpicle are put in the reserves to rest their injuries, and our last healthy men are called up for the next fight.

Ohh, look at this peasant, living the high live with his two cows.

Breaking camp we can see the enemy for ourselves and hurray, this pack of skeletons is lead by necrosavants. I don't have enough uninjured men to leave my archers in reserve like I would prefer to to against necrosavants. I'll have to protect them carefully to avoid having the necros teleport in behind them and take advantage of their poor melee defenses. If we get militia fighters like the last two times then they may serve as distractions to keep necros away from my archers, but they may also serve as blood bags to let the necros recover HP from. Not sure if the militia presence will be a benefit or not.

Siege of Westerholz 2: The resiegening

It's only a few necros, not several, so I'm only expecting three of them at maximum. That might not be terrible then. I can probably handle just three of them.

That went as well as I could have hoped. Some of the militia advanced way too quickly for their own good, but it drew some of the skeletal pikemen forward and helped disrupt their lines much like the last battle, but more importantly it caused melee fighting much sooner than normal, where I would have let the skeletons come to me a turn or two later. That's important because the necros don't go anywhere until melee happens So instead of my line being face to face with a wall of skeletons when the necros decided to teleport into the back, two of the three necros teleported way across the lines and had no support and everyone near enough to help out was able to do so with out skeletons getting in their way. It's a shame all the militia died, but they did help out a little at least.

The loot is nothing interesting, just ancient weapons and armor that we'll sell immediately, but it will provide about an extra thousand gold on top of the contract pay.

Or pay for the temple's healing services. Mojangles gets patched up before we leave Westerholz, Herpicle doesn't really need treatment for his injury. A ripped ear is -10% initiative which is incredibly minor as injuries go, so we'll save the crowns and let him heal up on his own because he can be put into a fight with a ripped ear no problem as long as his HPs recover and his gear is mended.

See here on the road back to Ivendorf is the most guarded supply wagon in Battle Brothers history. There are 41 heavily armed and armored men there that could have been a big help back at Westerholz, but no, guarding a wagon. Thanks, you jerks. Though I suppose they are from a different noble house than the rulers of Westerholz, but still, come on guys, it's the undead, they don't care about whose house you are from.

See, Hagen von Winterhall here gets it. I like this guy now. And he pays really well too!

After collecting our pay we head out to the market and offload a wagon full of skeleton gear and other junk and buy some supplies and food, netting us about 3,000 crowns in profit. While that will be the end of this update, the town has another contract for us to take a look at when we are ready for it. I'll see you next time for that.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 1, 2019

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I apologize for the month long gap between updates, and also anyone that listened to all my terrible puns in the videos.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jade Star posted:

I apologize for the month long gap between updates, and also anyone that listened to all my terrible puns in the videos.

Siege of Westerholz - second wave video is corrupt at around the 10 minute mark. Does the same repeating a few frames bit we saw before.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I love the awful bone puns, but the second video has that same weird hitching where segments repeat from 6 minutes and on.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

EoRaptor posted:

Siege of Westerholz - second wave video is corrupt at around the 10 minute mark. Does the same repeating a few frames bit we saw before.

god drat it... no idea whats causing that. I usually only watch the start and end of videos in proof.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You need to workshop some more complicated bone puns. Get a really painful pun run on.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

goatface posted:

You need to workshop some more complicated bone puns. Get a really painful pun run on.

please no

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

goatface posted:

Please yes

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

goatface posted:

Just googling for them isn't enough. Jade really needs to bone up on puns for next time. I have grave doubts about his ability to do so, though.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Jade Star posted:

(INTERIOR GEOP'S HOUSE)

GEOP is sleeping in bed on his back, twitching as if in the throes of a nightmare. An anonymous shape lays next to him. Suddenly he bolts upright

(ZOOM IN GEOP'S FACE, HE HAS SWEAT ON HIS BROW)

"Somebody's stealing my bit!"

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have a different approach when it comes to two handed weapons. I try to have most of my frontline wielding two handed weapons and unless I am going up against a lot of heavily armored opponents then I want as many bros as possible wielding two handed swords.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Jade Star posted:

We understand dude, undead puns of that caliber cadaver take a while.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Aw that sucks. It's best when the militia asks you what to do, then you can just tell them to sit the gently caress back with bows and let you handle poo poo. They can even sometimes hit for chip damage against the enemy armor!

And hey man, cows are big loving deals. Have you never played King of Dragon Pass? Cows are everything.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
OK, those puns are bad enough to reach dad humor level, so glad mine wasn't watching this and Getting Ideas.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Jade Star posted:

god drat it... no idea whats causing that. I usually only watch the start and end of videos in proof.

Clearly, your brother whiffed the attack so hard that it broke the video. It did happen right after you missed a 95 percent hit chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Fixed the video from the previous update in case anyone put it off til now.