Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Doing a little planning for the next update and I remembered being unsatisfied with my answer to Olesh about what causes battlefield injuries, stating I knew that 15hp of damage triggered a moral check, but not what caused an injury. With just a little digging I found a steam forums post from the developers in a thread about the usefulness of Crippling Strikes.

rapsdjff posted:

Injuries are inflicted if the damage to hitpoints with a single attack equals or exceeds 25% of maximum hitpoints for light injuries and 50% of maximum hitpoints for heavy injuries. The Crippling Strikes perk lowers these thresholds by 33% to 16.5% and 33% respectively.

So that's actually pretty cool. It confirmed my feelings that it was unlikely to deal multiple injuries to someone and still have them be alive, since 4 injuries meant death, or as few as two. So crippling strikes actually seems pretty good now that I know the numbers behind it and know that there are two levels of severity for determining what injuries are inflicted and how that works out mechanically. With this information a team of crippling strike/executioner melee brothers seems like a pretty strong idea that I could have fun trying out in the future. It's a little less exciting in our current undead crisis state where the baddies don't take injuries, but in any other circumstance I bet this would be a really fun and strong build.

Also minor spoiler for thread participation. Sigmar leveled up to level 5, and that is the level where he can get a weapon mastery. I have all the bases covered in terms of weapons, except daggers and I'm not picking that either. Olesh mentioned that 'by Sigmars axe' doesn't sound quite right and because Sigmar was a randomly generated name in the game and not one of your sign ups I feel it's appropriate to let you guys decide what Sigmars main weapon should be. Keep in mind he has shield expert, so it's going to be a one handed pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Flail? I'm a sucker for em

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.

Jade Star posted:

so it's going to be a one handed pick.

Feels like you already decided.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jade Star posted:

Also minor spoiler for thread participation. Sigmar leveled up to level 5, and that is the level where he can get a weapon mastery. I have all the bases covered in terms of weapons, except daggers and I'm not picking that either. Olesh mentioned that 'by Sigmars axe' doesn't sound quite right and because Sigmar was a randomly generated name in the game and not one of your sign ups I feel it's appropriate to let you guys decide what Sigmars main weapon should be. Keep in mind he has shield expert, so it's going to be a one handed pick.

His name's Sigmar. He has to use a hammer.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Night10194 posted:

His name's Sigmar. He has to use a hammer.
This so very much.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Hammer seems like it fits the crisis.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Hammers are never not cool.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
The Black Parade, days 99 - 101

Following the siege of Westerholz the company has some time to figure out what to do next. The first two things that come to mind are, firstly, resting a little while so our injured men can recover, and secondly, spending some of this pile of money we have. 18,000 crowns is a lot, and everyone has a tier three weapon of their choice, except maybe warbows for the archers. So, warbows and heavy armor are coming to mind for a shopping trip. Now of course Ivendorf is not the place to find high quality gear, but we are near enough to Kornstadt to head that way for a shopping trip.

However, if we're going to be going places, we may as well try to get paid for going there and there is a contract available. If it's not a guaranteed big fight sort of contract we may as well pick it up.

Ah patrol missions, potentially lucrative and might give us some time on the road to let brothers heal. This particular contract is only paying for heads collected though. Typically patrol missions have a little bit of guaranteed base pay, but not this one. So we will have to find something to fight if we want to make money which shouldn't be hard. If we get lucky and collect the max amount a 3,000 crown mission is not bad. These kinds of missions are even more ideal if you can find a large number of very weak enemies, like brigand thugs or the basic kinds of zombies.

The first leg of the patrol is just up the road to Turmwacht a short distance away. I don't really expect to see much on the way there.

I had only just gotten started on the road out of town when...

News that the undead have stopped rising out of their graves reaches us! I suppose the siege was the last big push the undead had going for them and we have beaten them back into the ground they crawled out from. Everyone gets a morale boost and the company gains fame for being a leading force against the undead attacks. Which is all well and good until we spot something on the road ahead.

Not all of the undead have returned to the earth it seems. Worse still is the potential that the orcs are getting bolder now that the undead are growing weaker. Haven't seen a group of orcs this close to civilization in a long time. We'll deal with these in order and see how things go. The undead outnumber us and have some necrosavants in the group so they feel bold enough to come right at us on the road.

Undead On Patrol

Man things sure have changed in the company when we can fight an army including Necrosavants and walk away with a single scratch to a brother's armor to show for it. There isn't a lot of new things to say about this fight but one thing I will say is that I and growing a fondness for maces. Being able to bonk a necrosavant and cost him an entire turn is super useful. Stops them from teleporting around and murdering vulnerable people, keeps them in place so the fighters that are in position can have a full turn to swing at them twice rather than chase and try to get a single attack in. It's just great. It's probably a little late but thinking back on it now, I probably totally would have enjoyed a second mace fighter on the team.

The loot is a bit poo poo, but that tends to be the case with undead. It's not like they have any use for treasures.

Let's take a look out for those orcs we saw earlier...

Oh, they're headed right for us. They had seemed like they were keeping their distance earlier, but maybe they were more scared of the undead then they are of us. Well that's their mistake, but I am thankful that I don't have to chase them down now. However, they don't look like they will be pushovers when they are equal part orc young and orc warriors. It's been a long time since we fought orcs, but just as a quick reminder let me say that orc warriors are walking poo poo wreckers with looted plate and scale mail armor that has at least 300 armor points, and then they probably have another 300 in hit points. On top of that they are strong enough and carry big enough weapons to consistently two hit kill men that are not in heavy armor or one hit kill a man not in some kind of metal armor.

Orcs On Patrol

It's been a while and the company has gotten a lot stronger but orc warriors are still no pushover. Klaus and Sigmar got into some serious trouble at the top of the fight, and Nabster got his hand fractured by an orc young with a height disadvantage. What a lucky shot. This fight will leave us needing some recovery time for our wounded men. Things shouldn't be too bad though, we've got some time while patrolling to heal and a few reserves for just this sort of thing.

Orc loot is also kind of trash when you catch them out in the countryside. At least their weapons tend to sell well at markets. Not sure why, or who is buying them and for what reason though. This fight also puts us near the maximum reward of our patrol contract with 26 kills between the last two fights. We can probably just walk the roads and turn this in for some good money.

Sigmar leveled up, and at the time of recording I didn't select a perk for him. Only a couple people voiced opinions when I asked for preferences so I'll give Sigmar the hammer mastery perk as soon as I can purchase a warhammer for him to use.
Skippy Granola leveled up as well and I gave him Crippling Strikes. having a better idea on how injuries work, what their thresholds are, and how there are light and heavy injuries gives me more appreciation for the crippling strikes skill. Also, the undead might be going away soon, so we'll be back to fighting things that can in fact suffer injuries, hurray! I also just like the potential for archers to deal injuries to enemy fighters before they get into melee. Being able to give a dangerous fighter a pierced leg that reduces their defense by 30% before they get into the fight is an amazing advantage, and that is a light wound, meaning we only need to deal 17% of the enemies HP to inflict it!

Right then, back to the patrol. Turmwacht is right there and is our first destination.

Turmwacht doesn't have a big market, but I buy a stack of tools and supplies before I head out again.

The next destination is Eichendorf which is a bit farther away. No worries, marching time is healing time as I constantly say to fill the gaps between the company getting into fights.

The company almost makes it to Eichendorf without incident. Just before we get there a hoard of undead emerge from the woods. At 20 skeletons strong and comprised of some legionaries this group isn't afraid to come right at us. I stand still on the road and let the skeletons come to us, figuring a fight in the open would be more to my benefit.

Many Zombies

This fight had a much higher poo poo zombie to competent skeleton ratio than I was expecting. That meant the fight was a lot easier than I thought it might have been, with only a few skeletons to worry about and then a lot of dumb zombies to chew through. No real danger this fight, and more than enough kills to net us the maximum reward from our patrol mission.

Still terrible loot, but it was mostly zombies so what can you expect. The chainmail coifs are actually kind of nice, but we've already got enough for our archers long ago.

Ralepozozaxe levels up and gets Berserk so he can finally take multiple swings in a turn. Every fight I feel like he already has this but he hasn't and I must just be assuming it because of Travel Log and Mojangles having it.
Megane gets the Fearsome perk, which I've picked on my archers before but picking it on a hammer user deserves a quick mention. Hammer attacks do a guaranteed 10 points of hp damage through armor no matter what, no matter how thick the enemy armor is. Normally you have to do 15hp damage to trigger a morale check, with fearsome that becomes 1hp of damage. Combined a hammer plus fearsome means every time Megane lands a hit it is a guaranteed morale check on the opponent. This can be super useful against heavily armored foes, and especially against ones with below average resolve levels. This combo shines against foes like orc warriors, for example.

The fight done, the loot scooped up, it's time to continue up the road to Eichendorf...

The ghosts of the past are talking to us again. I have a choice on what to ask, but I feel like I'm only going to get to say one thing. It takes me a long time to decide how to reply, but I start to think maybe asking about the ugly man will give me a clue or lead I could follow up on once the dream ends. Maybe the ugly man is a necromancer or otherwise somehow still alive in this world and so I ask about him.

Well that didn't really give me any of the information I was hoping for. Unless Kearem Su'llah was a name. I'm kind of doubtful about that though, seems more like a word or phrase in a different language than a name. Could have even been an honorific title addressed to us, since the ghost seems to think we were the emperor. So I don't think we're getting any sort of actionable information out of this, but we do get a little bit or a glimpse at what happened in the past and why the empresses' ghost is so angry.

This could be a victory message and game over, if we chose to do so. The game is mostly balanced around about a one hundred day campaign. Or at least this version was, not so sure anymore with the new DLC that was released in the middle of the LP and not a part of this LP. We've done pretty well for ourselves I would say, we've had as many brothers retire alive as we have had slain on the battlefield. We have a very strong company of men, battle hardened and tough as nails who are well equipped, though maybe not so finely as to rival a knight. By all counts this is a successful campaign and we could be proud of ourselves to declare victory here and retire.

But to hell with that. We've got some more things to do that I'll get into after our patrol is over.

Feels like a lot has happened on this patrol eh? Three fights, an ambition fulfilled, spooky dreams in the void with a ghost that thinks you are her beloved. Well almost done, let's head back to Ivendorf.

I was just saying how much had happened and maybe could have used a little time to settle down! Argh, fine game, let's pick a new ambition. The first option isn't bad, and finding named gear is also usually super cool just to have and use in battle anyway, but considering it is day 100 by now and the most named loot I've ever seen has been at the blacksmith in Heldenburg I think that ambition can go gently caress itself. Though, really, in the soon to be coming post-game updates I may just go buy rounds at the taverns and hope for leads on treasure. Arming three men with suitably heavy armor for the ambition isn't a bad call anyway, and probably something I'd like to do eventually in any case. I believe for the purpose of the ambition that means you need three men wearing armor and helmets that offer 220 points or armor, which is about the break point between the medium chainmail we're all wearing now, and the start of the heavy armor like scale mail. Lastly, the ambition to destroy 4 undead locations, which I wish we could have had concurrent with the win the undead crisis ambition. There are still some undead out there and I think I still have one lair scouted on the map. Most importantly though is that this ambition actually gives a unique reward and thus it is the ambition that I select.

With that out of the way, the roads back to Ivendorf are clear and uneventful.

Our patrol complete we pick up a pretty nice payday of 3,000 crowns. The company now has just over 20,000 crowns in its coffers and it is time to invest some of that money into better armor for our men. We can't do that here of course so it is time to take a trip to the cities to the southwest. First stop, Kornstadt.

Hello there, noblemen, how are you doing? Clearing out Brigand Woods, or just late to the undead party up north?

Well Kornstadt looks busy. A lot of jobs for us to take a look at and a bit of a greenskin problem to deal with. If it isn't undead it's orcs. And if it isn't orcs it's probably the brigands. We may want to deal with that problem before we start spending our money here. That will of course be for the next update, but let's take a look at what we can look forward to here. There are a lot of jobs here to fill our coffers even more for our eventual big shopping trip. We may even make enough to purchase a named weapon should the Heldenburg smithy have some for sale.

Then there is the incredibly generically named Den of the Undead to go clear out for ambition credit and potential treasure.

Lastly there is a huge amount of the world left unexplored. Approximately a whole third of the map lies beyond civilization and the borders or our own excursions. There is bound to be dens and lairs and all sorts of treasure out there. Having stopped the undead invasion I think now is a pretty good time to go exploring and see what we can find out there. So, join me next time as we stock up, spend our money, and go adventuring into the unknown wilds.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Huh. I didn't expect the invasion to end like that. Interesting. And Great work so far!

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any chance someone has a link to text dumps of the other two options? Spent some time googling but came up with nothing.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Well, that was oddly anti-climatic.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

cokerpilot posted:

The Undead hordes saw Travel Log and decided to save some time and just stay in the ground.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

cokerpilot posted:

Jade Star's burping performance was so magnificent that they wept tears of salt and relented back into the ground.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
It's psychosomatic and I hate it. It started sometime in the X-Com LP with Guava for no reason and now it wont go away either. Apparently all Olesh needs to do is remind my subconscious that we're recording audio and I get belchy. loving sucks.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I'm amazed he hasn't done it more often. So good on him for showing some restraint. :D

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I was rewatching the playlist because this is some good bite-sized entertainment, and I noticed that one of the videos was missing from it. So I was a bit surprised about the gap between "what are warscythes" and "we have a warscythe of our own".

Edit: There's also the more recent one with the orcs. I'd do this in PMs but Jade Star doesn't have Platinum.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 25, 2019

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Someone (maybe you) commented on my youtube about playlist errors also. I went through and noticed two or three videos had not gotten placed in the play list and have fixed that.

Also RIP my platinum. You try to name one elf on a blood bowl team and you lose PMs...

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
The Black Parade, Days 101-104

Stating off in Kornstadt we have a ton of money for our future plans, but Kornstadt has some greenskin problems and is a civilian city not a fort or castle so its markets aren't exactly what we are looking for. It does have a lot of work available, though I'm going to be very picky about what contracts I'm going to take as I have other plans in mind and chasing some thieves out into the middle of nowhere isn't something we need to do anymore. It also has a tavern, a potential way of picking up rumors about dungeons or rare treasures. But all I got out of it was a guy bitching about his neighbor's dog barking at all hours of the night. I guess some problems are timeless.

Well now, the count here has a perfect opportunity for us. First off, I wanted to go to Heldenburg to visit their smiths for weapons and armor, and secondly this puts a 70 crown bounty on every kill at the den of undead I intended to go clear out. Really couldn't have asked for a better contract right here.

I think we all know this road pretty well by now.

Nice, though might lower prices by just a little.

Because with 20,000 crowns, I came here to shop!

First a stop by the tavern to pick up a rumor. It's not a great one, but hey, there is something out to the west. I'd try to keep that in mind, but we're going east for the patrol mission and then the den of undead so this one is likely to be forgotten about. With that out of the way, it's shopping time.

A hammer for Sigmar. We now have two of those in the company and have two men ready to deal with things in heavy armor.

The noble sword is one of, if not the only, 4th iteration of a weapon in a class. It has 5 more minimum and maximum damage than the arming sword and is 5% more effective against armor. It seems like a small upgrade for nearly 5,000 crowns, but it's the best sword we can get and goes to Flesnolk as our only one-handed sword user. Long ago in a patch since updated when vampires were vampires and not necrosavants, vampires would wield and drop these swords, making it much cheaper, if more dangerous to acquire.

I bought two sets of reinforced mail hauberks. In my opinion they are one of the better heavy armors, but regrettably also the lightest of the heavy armors. I base that opinion on the ratio of armor provided for fatigue cost. The reinforced mail comes out to a ratio of just above 8 to 1. This ratio tends to get worse the heavier the armor you wear. For example, the padded surcoat is one of the first real pieces of armor you can find and is 50 armor for 4 fatigue, a ratio of 12.5 to 1. Our medium armor that we've been using for a long time now is around 10 to 1 or maybe 9 to 1 depending on the piece and the special dire wolf mail. The other piece of armor that was available at the smiths was a lamellar harness at 230 armor for 30 fatigue, or a ratio of 7.66 to 1 which doesn't seem all that worth it. Those extra 20 points or armor come at a cost of 4 more fatigue, which means the marginal increase of armor over the reinforced mail hauberk is 5 points of armor per point of fatigue, which feels really bad to me. Also it's base price is 3,000 vs the hauberks 2,000, so it's cost in crowns is also way higher. I think the real deathblow to ever using a lamellar harness though is the existence of scale armor, which has 240 armor for 28 fatigue. It offers more protection for less fatigue penalty, making is just better in every way. It is of course more expensive though. But with a ratio of 8.57 armor to 1 fatigue, it's actually better than its lighter predecessor and armor I just bought the reinforced hauberk. Had I seen scale mail, I would have gone for it, but alas no.

That is almost enough armor talk, but there is still one more consideration for our new purchases, and that is who gets to wear them. First impulses may be to put them on the most valuable people, which isn't a bad idea, but may not be the best thing. At -26 fatigue on these pieces of armor we have to consider who can wear them and not be encumbered by them. The chainmail that half of our men is wearing is -18 fatigue, so we need to figure who can afford to lose 8 points from their max fatigue, or even more severe is that the dire wolf mail is only -13 fatigue, so putting them in the hauberk doubles the weight of armor they're wearing and they would need to be alright with losing 13 more max fatigue. As we get into this heavy armor stuff, this is where the Brawny perk really starts to help out by reducing the fatigue penalty by 30% (possibly 25% with the new patch. Since I'm using 1.1x with out the new changes that came out with the new DLC I assume I'm getting the old 30% version). I don't like dropping a brothers max fatigue past 60, and typically like to keep it above 70 after a few levels. With that in mind I looked over the men and the two brothers with the most fatigue to spare, and who incidentally both had the Brawny perk, are Shinarato and Flesnolk. Flesnolk in particular still had 87 maximum fatigue after putting on the heavy armor. With that much stamina Flesnolk is likely to be the first brother to get scale or even plate armor if we get our hands on some.

Almost as a side note to all that armor talk was the purchase of a closed mail coif for Frankomatic to keep him a little safer. I debated buying some heavier helmets for the other men too, but I'd just spent about 15,000 of our 20,000 crowns and figured that was a good place to stop until our next big payday.

So then, on to Tiefen, down the road I constantly point out has two watchtowers along the way and should be the safest road in the game.

Son of a bitch, a band of brigands! On this road of all places! Who could have seen this coming?

Brigands at Tiefenstadt

It's a rather big band of them, and with a leader! How nice, maybe the leader will have some shiny loot for us.

Well, that was pretty easy. Easier than expected to be honest. Brigand leaders are usually not a joke and can deal some real damage to a company. Maybe it is just a bit too late game for them to hold up any real threat like I think they should, or maybe his raiders forgot to bring shields and many of them died before the leader had a chance to do anything. In any case I would like to thank him for the reinforced mail hauberk, the bascinet with mail, and his winged mace. All really nice pieces of loot there and would be a really big windfall to any company in the mid-game to walk away with all his gear. Also let's hear it for the archer team, scoring 7 out of 7 shots on the first turn. Good job guys. Really helps make a fight easier when your archers can kill 3 or 4 dudes on the first turn.

The set of armor goes to Megane, who is looking like a proper tank now and still managing 74 max fatigue after putting on the heavy armor.

Travel Log leveled up to level 12, which you may recall is past the point of normal level ups.

Now I haven't been showing the stat ups at level up because they're not too interesting, but take my word for it that from levels 1-11 these values are not all 1's. This is all Travel Log gets for leveling up past 11, a single point to 3 stats. The normal is more like a 1d4 roll for each stat. Also no perks. Kind of a bummer, but still nice to at least get something out of it. I should probably bench him and let Mojangles get his last few levels.

At that fight we march into Tiefen and tell all the pubs the good news before moving on.

Now I can't be positive, but I am pretty sure this guy is talking about the den of undead I've already spotted and am planning on clearing out after we leave town.

There is one other thing to do in Tiefen before we leave though.

Oh my. Look at all those tools! Jackpot! Well sort of. They're still marked up 34% over their base price in a city that has an ironworks that produces them. Whatever, my endless gripes about repair tools in this game will never end but I will buy as many of them as I can carry. The game only lets you stockpile 150 units of tools. Oh and those fishing nets? Yeah, they are coming with us too. The previous fight and Flamester gave me some ideas for those later.

We're done in town, so it's time to head north.

Got a scout report before the fight, that is always nice. No necrosavants or fallen heroes so I'm not too worried about this one. The spooky ghosts might be annoying and play havoc on our morale, but we got Rcharo for that and I think we will be fine.

The Den of Undead

Like I thought, without any high end infantry to pose a real threat to our men this battle was easily handled. Again some credit due to our archers for sniping the necromancer from maximum range, good shots guys. We had a little bit of a problem with the spooky ghosts on the south flank, though the biggest issue is that the rally skill takes up 6ap and only has a 4 hex range. That means you can only move 1 hex and still use the skill in the same turn and if Rcharo is on the wrong end of the battle line that might mean he is out of range. It wasn't a big issue here, but it was still annoying and could have been a real issue if we were fighting anything that could reasonably harm us. Getting panicked and trying to flee from orc warriors for example might very well get you killed.

A lot less loot than I expected. We got two treasure items, but the signet rings are the least valuable of all the treasure items. We're looking at maybe 1,000 from the rings plus coins. There is some added good news that the patrol mission is paying 70 crowns a kill and these guys count for that, so we'll make a fair bit of extra money from that. I wonder if the ghosts count? They don't leave behind heads or any tangible proof we killed them...

I actually went back through my screenshots to check this. I had 13/35 kills for the patrol mission prior to the Den of the Undead, and exited with 35/35 kills. There were 22 enemies at the start of combat in the Den, and I really don't think zombies getting resurrected counts for the kill total, so yeah, I think we are getting credited for killing ghosts. Man, I should just claim I killed a handful of ghosts on every patrol mission then. How are they going to know? What, you want the head from a dead ghost? Ghosts don't work like that.

That just leaves the last leg of the patrol to finish up. All we need to do is march west across the steppe and back into Kornstadt.

See! This guy didn't even check for heads or bodies or anything. Just took our word for it. We could have said we killed 100 ghosts and he wouldn't have known any better. I mean, he was only paying up to 35 bounties, but still, there's got to be some room here for some kind of ghost bounty exploitation.

Here we are back in Kornstadt with a good savings of crowns. Having taken care of that den that I wanted to, I have no further predetermined plans ahead other than to explore west. There are three contracts available in town, but they are all courier missions to places I don't have any interest in going to right now. So there doesn't seem to be a better time than now to strike out west and see what we can find out there. The Kornstadt market is thankfully full of food despite the greenskin problem and I stock up over 300 units of food, or just over 9 days' worth of provisions. Have to make sure we have enough to go out there and back on the foodstock we take with us. There will be little chance to find food out there.

And there is a lot of 'out there' to explore too. We've been out there once or twice to hunt goblins if I remember right, but there is still a lot of space out there we haven't explored.

Now the eagle eyed readers or maybe those with eidetic memories, might have spotted or recall there is a ruins in the swamp just north east of the river crossing. That should serve as good as anything else for our first destination into the wilderness.

Crossing the mountain on the way to that ruin we discover something. It looks like it's full of the undead, and that is fine by me. Might mean good treasure, but it also means another credit on our ambition to wipe out 4 undead strongholds. Let's get a little closer and see if we can tell what is inside there.

The Field of Bone

Oh, some necrosavants. That could suck. 'Some' means three to six if I am correct. Three necros, not too bad. Six could be a real problem. The saving grace here is that they only have auxiliaries as fodder to distract us with and as we've seen recently auxiliaries are nothing to be concerned with anymore.

As a note, I looked this up later and 'some' means four to six.

Well Nabster took the worst of it and is going to be in reserve until his arm heals. Still not too bad for having to deal with four necrosavants. The last one did a good job of showing off exactly why I hate them so much. Teleporting from one end of the field to the other to deliver a serious hit to someone and then going and doing the same to the opposite end of the field the next turn. The loot is a little underwhelming for dealing with four of those blood suckers, we'll make maybe a thousand crowns off the loot. The 31 tools and supplies though, that's a pretty nice find and would have been even nicer if I hadn't stocked up so heavily at Tiefen. Still, finding that kind of supplies when you're planning on being away from civilization is a good thing to find.

After the fighting and looting Sir Dave levels and gets Battle Forged. Klaus reaches level 11 and gets two picks. For him I select Killing Frenzy for the damage boost and because the undead invasion is over and I want to give things a try, I select Crippling Strikes for his other perk choice.

We are only a short distance away from the ruins that were our original destination. We can't tell what might be inside of the ruins from this far away. After swapping a few brothers around to bring back our archers and Rcharo and replacing Nabster while he heals, we march onward. I stay to the north of the ruins, hoping to avoid traveling through the swamp if possible. Swamps are understandably very slow to travel through, and they are worse to fight in.

Getting closer and I still have no idea what might be inside the ruins. I really don't like that, but we're strong enough that we ought to be able to handle anything at this point so let's give it a try.

Tilted Stones

Oh hell, the fight is going to be in the swamp. This might really suck.

Oh man, that really sucked. I think this is our first, maybe second fight in a swamp for the LP. The murky water hexes that make up the most of the map absolutely suck to be in. Swamp hexes give -25% penalties to melee attack, melee defense, and ranged defense. Interestingly, and importantly, it doesn't penalize ranged attack. That could be important if you ever get attacked by goblins in a swamp (don't ever let that happen, the ambushers will murder you). Additionally, the AP and fatigue cost to move through swamp hexes are also terrible, 4ap and 14 fatigue for the murky water hexes. Winning swamp fights is usually about finding the few patches of dirt or mud that don't inflict the terrible skill penalties and holding the high/dry ground. Due to the movement penalties and fatigue costs of moving through the water finding a better position to fight on may not be an easy thing to do. During this fight the dry ground I wanted to fight on was one hex too far away for me to reach before the enemy could get there and block us from getting on to it. Of course, the enemy was trash brigands that didn't stand a chance, but still, they did the right thing by standing where they did and essentially forcing me to make an amphibious assault on them. It might have really sucked if Rcharos kill hadn't caused four or five of them to rout. That morale break really made the fight a lot less painful than it could have been.

Speaking of that morale break, it also let us preform another Caesar Circle with no risk! Another bandit leader with some really nice armor, a good helmet and a top tier axe. Again that would have been an amazing haul not super long ago, but for right now that reinforced mail hauberk is really the only big trophy from the Caesar Circle. I should probably make an effort post about the proper time and place for Caesar Circles and the how and why of them.

Shinarato reached level 11 and gets two perks to choose. I am enjoying my investment into Crippling Strikes and take that for Shin, along with Killing Frenzy for that extra damage dealing that will help him deal more damage and thus inflict more injuries. Synergy!

Oh, well that is an unexpected issue. Our inventory is very nearly full. If we went out and found another fight we probably wouldn't be able to take much of the loot back with us. I hadn't thought this would be an issue, but here we are. Well no matter, we are not very deep into the unexplored. In fact we are on the edge of the explored since we had previously spotted these ruins before. Okay, quick trip back to Kornstadt to sell off loot and then back out into the wilds.

Not that far to get back, just have to go around or over these mountains and go back the way we came, no big deal...

Hubris!

I didn't anticipate this either. In fact, I think this is the first time this has even happened to me. It is apparently just something that can happen while you are marching through swamp land and man does it ever suck.

Ohhh yeah does it suck. That's a straight -25% to every stat, and then a couple of points off vision too just to make sure. It got eight out of our seventeen men, just under half, and they are all pretty hosed in a fight with this sickness. If I wasn't already heading back to town to clear our inventory I'd be heading back now because of this. I really do not want to be out in the unknown areas with half of my fighting force heavily crippled.

Nope, gently caress off undead, not interested right now.

The temple bill for treatment is pretty severe. 250 crowns per person to treat the sickness. That would be 2,000 to treat everyone and double their recovery speed. Taking the recovery time from 1-3 days to... well presumably 1-2 days. I'm not sure how the game would handle fractions of a day and if it would count hours or not. I know it does have some smaller increments of time because if you have a 12 men roster you consume 24 rations a day and you will consume 1 ration at a time as the day progresses so presumably the game does do time in hours, but just doesn't present the player with a clock more detailed than the sun/moon dial at the top of the screen.

Getting side tracked though. The point I was going to make is that we pay 611 crowns a day in wages, and not treating the sick means in three days everyone will be healthy and if we just sit on our asses it will cost 1,833 crowns before everyone is healed. Maybe 2,000 or just over if I add the cost of food. Treating everyone would mean that in, we'll just estimate how the game works, one and a half days I would have spent 2,917 crowns and everyone would be healthy. Just over three thousand if I add in the cost of food while we sit and wait. That doesn't seem super worth it. It's also worth noting that I am assuming that everyone takes the maximum amount of time to heal, which is not a guarantee. Even with no treatment someone may heal after just one day, which could be faster than someone that does get treatment and takes the maximum amount of time. So it's all a bunch of math and value judgements, but I conclude that paying the 2,000 crowns is not worth it. We have to march back out into the wilderness and actually find something to fight before it matters if men are sick or not. I am willing to bet that it will take at least a day for that, and if the odds are spread evenly, that should mean two or three of our sick men will have recovered by then, which would give me 11 or 12 healthy men to fight with. I might come up a man short depending on the odds or luck, but I think we'd be fine as long as I don't rush into a particularly difficult fight.

All this math and judgement on the value of health versus money while the company has 14,680 crowns in its coffers. And thus Jade-Economics dictated that the sick people weren't worth the money to treat and the world of Battle Brothers moved into late stage capitalism.

Next time we'll really make it out into the west, get sick, and die of cholera in the Oregon Battle Brothers Trail.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 5, 2019

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

All fixed!

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 5, 2019

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Every loving time argh. i double checked. i dont know wtf unless i uploaded the wrong files. The videos i proof watched are fine. either i totally air brained it, or youtube hosed up

Okay, i think mystery solved. I did everything right until I uploaded the video from the wrong folder, which uploaded the raw game recordings and not the finished products from Vegas. Everything will be fixed shortly.

Everything is fixed, please enjoy my LP in the intended way, with commentary.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 5, 2019

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
So many hubris circles.

And so many hauberks!

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Regarding necromancers, they all wear that witch hat. The hat is probably the real necromancer, possessing whoever dons it. You've been fighting the same necromancer over and over. Obsessed with seeking out spooky ruins and raising armies of undead to take over the world. Always thwarted by those meddling battle brothers.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

pun pundit posted:

The hat is probably the real necromancer, possessing whoever dons it.

Terrifying. And I just keep selling it back to some unsuspecting merchant every time. The clever bastard.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I put that hat on once. Turns out there's nothing mystical about it, everyone just sees the hat and calls you a necromancer.
I never even raised any dead when I had it on, they just started showing up on my lawn one day and started following orders.

I tried asking them about that but it took a long while to find one who could speak, both in the physical and intellectual sense (those dang fallen champions are all mute) and it turns out they too just see the hat and think 'oh he's a necromancer, we gotta do what he says.'
About the only thing I could do to convince everyone I wasn't a necromancer was to take off the hat, which is kind of a bad idea when you've got a plethora of hungry undead following you around everywhere.

Fortunately a band of battle brothers showed up and killed them all and I managed to sneak the hat onto one of their severed heads. I had to give the band all of my pocket change in thanks for 'rescuing' me but at least now I can live a normal life!

Although now that I think about it... Y'see after a bad tumble one day I had to patch the hat up a little bit. And I swear I've seen that same patch job on every single hat I've ever seen on a Necromancer... Weird huh?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
This is entering the strange domain of soldier fanfic that some of my X-Com (well, UFO:Afterseries) LPs inspired.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Oh, you can get the sickness event up north in the snow, too. Just reflavoured for "poo poo's cold, yo!"

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
The Black Parade, days 104-106

Back at Kornstadt with half the company sick from whatever foulness the swamps hold. I went over it in more detail last time, but I think we'll be alright just dealing with the sickness with out going out of our way about it or paying a lot to the temple. The sickness will last one to three days and it will take us about a day to get out into the wilds again so I'm betting on a couple of men recovering before we find a fight.

Last time we marched right over the mountains, this time I think we'll go around them. We'll go north around the mountains and then west into the unknown and see what we find there. The company is still well stocked on food and supplies, so we can stand to be out there for about a week, but it's unlikely we'll be out there that long. I imagine our wagon will be full of loot way before a weeks time.

It's night time by the time we get around the mountains and start moving into previously unscouted territory and it didn't take long to run into something in the dark. Let's take a closer look.

It's a goblin camp. A fairly big one at that if it includes an overseer. An overseer is probably close to what you imagine just from the name. Bigger, meaner, and a rallying force / leader figure. Typically they are not seen in the field and you have to go find them in camps like this. One possibly surprising feature is that they come equipped with a crossbow, a really big, mean, has special traits, crossbow. Arguably the, if not one of the, best crossbows in the game, and certainly much easier to find than anything better than it. Even though we didn't spec anyone for crossbows, it still sounds like a prize to me. Let's get it!

Ohhh, right... Still too many sick people. I need 2 more people to recover to field 12 men, if I'm not picky about composition. Okay, well, plan b I guess, we'll set up camp and give it a half day. I may or may not be right in this assumption, but I believe that injuries heal or update their time left at midday, the same time daily wages are paid. So we are going to camp until then.

Hey uh guys, you think they've noticed us?

Anyway by midday everyone but Frankomatic is over the sickness. We'll be a little short handed in the archery department, but I think we'll be alright. Let's do this.

Stabbers' Den

No respect for goblins! Half move forward, raise shields, and second turn charge!

That went pretty well. Their ambushers didn't do a whole lot with their poison and we only took one real hit from a lucky puncture attack. The bad news is that the overseer didn't feel like sticking around and retreated before we could kill him for his crossbow. Their crossbow is called a Spiked Impaler and is pretty great. It deals a ton of damage, punches through armor, and can cause knockback on hits. There is something so satisfying about shooting a charging enemy and knocking them back.

Marching north west from the goblin camp and we run into some ruins. Looks like a run down castle of some kind.

Okay, fine, worn down fortress, seems about the same to me. Can't see what is inside though, and that is always a little concerning.

Worn Down Fortress

I am sure we can handle what ever we find out here though, and we came out here to find and kill everything we came across, so let's see what treasures we can find.

Okay that was a lot of undead, but it wasn't too much of a problem. No spooky ghosts or necromancers is nice. Wokow and Flamester took a bit of a beating on the bottom edge of the melee line but no serious injuries. A pair of silver rings and some gold coins will sell well, along with the greatsword and fighting axe being expensive top tier weapons. This would have been a more impressive hail earlier, but this late in things and I'm really hoping to find named equipment for loot.

At least it was worth a big pile of exp. Mojangles hits level 10 and gets Battle Forged. Flamester made it to level 11 and gets Brawny and Crippling Strikes. With the Brawny perk pick Flamester has enough capacity to wear the last set of reinforced hauberk we had laying around.

Heading father west we catch sight of some goblin hunters. I can't remember if I've covered it or not, but there is a system behind the scenes where goblins/orcs/brigands, etc. will send out hunters or other specific groups to roam around and return back to their base, and if they do they gain some kind of resource points which control how strong the base is, like what units defend it, and when it might be ready to expand and make a new camp elsewhere. Typically hunter groups are lowest tier units and easy fights, and hinder the baddies from growing stronger so it might be a good idea to kill them whenever you see them. Like now.

No video here, this battle was trivial. They didn't even land a hit on us.

Not a lot to loot, but what would you expect from some hunters? A couple of them got away too, being much faster than men on foot the last couple ones to live were able to retreat.

After the fight though, I think I might have figured out where they came from.

A goblin outpost, nice! This is pretty dangerous but it's exactly the kind of thing we came out here to find. Scouts say there is a goblins shaman in there. That's great. I mean they're dangerous, but it also means a good chance for loot if there is a shaman guarding the place.

Shanarax

Shamans are total assholes, as befitting goblin style. They aren't very deadly themselves. They won't fight directly unless they absolutely have to. Their support abilities are what make them a nightmare to deal with. Being able to cast an area of effect netting spell from a safe distance every turn is amazingly powerful. It runs off stamina too so they aren't limited like physical nets, or ammunition, or even some sort of mana point system. They just get to do that to you every turn until you are too tired from breaking out of roots to fight back. They are total bastards and I'm glad this one is dead.

Now this is why we came out here! Let's take a closer look at the obvious prizes here.

Nice. Best I can guess is that this is a named piece of scale mail, which isn't the best heavy armor in terms of armor to fatigue penalty but being named it comes out a little bit better than normal. It's still heavy as hell but I think we have a brother or two that can put it to use. And we do! Going back to check Klaus gets this set of armor, able to wear it and still have 76 maximum stamina.

This one I don't feel as strongly about. It looks like well built leather armor, but it's actually not a substantial upgrade over anything. At 131/13 it's only just fractionally better than a standard mail shirt at 130/14 so while it does look really cool, it's really not much of an upgrade. Still, it looks good and Mr. Yar can wear it in style.

Following the battle, Rcharo made it to level 11 and gets Battle Forged and Berserk. Meanwhile Mojangles, Megane, and Herpicle are notably injured following the fight with the goblin shaman. We've found some treasure, kicked a lot of goblin rear end, and maybe it's time to head back for now to heal and unload our treasures and purchase new supplies.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 18, 2019

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
47 of anything just seems like a slog.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
It'd be nice if BB had a mechanism for subbing out Brothers; like you can retreat an exhausted/wounded brother to the edge of the map, and then choose to replace them with another, or just send them back to the wagon. If a brother is killed, a replacement could come in from the far back line, and move into position.

It'd make those 50 v 12 fights a but more bearable.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Or, what a lot of mods like to do, is remove the 12 man limit from the players side. The interface has spots for 18 or 20 men to take the field in the company screen out of battle, so mods like to let you use all of them. Limiting the player to 12 is fine if the devs limit enemy forces to roughly the same restrictions. A few more for tougher fights, or weaker enemies get more men on the field, etc. But the top heavy part where it's 12 of the best I can possibly field vs 30+ of the best they can field is horrificly unbalanced.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

If you kill some of your opponents and then back out, what happens to the enemy force afterwards? I figure that you don't pick up loot and have to heal any damage on your own, but if you could effectively hit-and-run that might mitigate the issues of action economy at play. It certainly wouldn't solve them, since 12 vs. 47 sounds almost as bad as FFTA2's Brightmon Tor.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
That is pretty much the old strategy. It's probably changed since i think retreat mechanics got changed with the new DLC update, but on thr 1.1x patch the LP is on one of the strategies is to fight for as long as you safely can, get as many kills as possible, and then hit the retreat button. Everyone lives, but takes an injury for it. Go back to town, preferably with a temple, rest and heal and then get back into the fight. The enemy forces at lairs do not replenish. So if we go in to a fight of 50, kill 20 of them, retreat, and come back a week later the lair will still only have 30 enemies to deal with. This does diminish the dynamic rewards of the fight, as random loot like named weapons or treasures are based on what was killed the fight that lead to successfully picking up loot afterward. It does not effect the static guaranteed rewards that certain specific lairs have. I haven't figured what sort of post content I'm going to do with this yet, so I'll just lay it out with out regards to spoilers at this point. The goblin city and the source of the undead have unique guaranteed drops for clearing them. The goblin city has a helmet and the undead source has armor, and the two items are part of a set. You could think of them as unique pr purple loot, or whatever you're used to seeing. The real prize of clearing out either place isn't the dynamic loot and piles of cash or treasure you would normally get for defeating a 45+ army, you're doing it specifically for the helm and armor. So the multi wave attack, retreat, heal, attack again plan still totally works for this in theory. There are two problems with it based off my test run of the goblin city. First is that being do out matched means it's hard to cull their numbers before a brother dies or is in serious risk of dying. Clearing it in only two attack is... Optimistic currently. The second problem is that doing it in multi-waves if progress would be that slow is that would be boring as hell for me to play through. Other consideration would be to grind out more levels on the troops and try again when everyone is a few levels higher and everyone has heavy armor on, but that too is a considerable time investment on my part that I am less than eager for. I think the LP's been active just over 8 months and I feel like i've given it a good showing even if I don't grind out the extra post crisis fights and I'm looking forward to the next project I want to take on.

Iamyourking
Oct 27, 2007

Only courage in the face of doubt can lead one to the answer.
Toilet Rascal
The LP started in September of 2017, so 19 months.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Install one of the roster mods, and steamroll the city and crypt. It's what Jesus would do.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Iamyourking posted:

Jade has no concept of time and a broken memory. That level of error is standard.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Oh, yeah. The goblin shaman. Easily the least enjoyable unit to fight from the vanilla game.

He has two "You suck, now" spells. That loving vine spam as seen in the video and insect swarm which for 3 whole turns halves all important combat stats of one bro.
It even persists when you kill the shaman.

And your lack of pathfinder has considerably slowed the advance of your vined blob of men. Several times you were unable to base a gobbo because you lacked the ap to move two tiles after breaking free.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Iamyourking posted:

gently caress me you're right. I think i read my OP post date incorrectly and thought it started on sept 2018.

Last Transmission posted:

And your lack of pathfinder has considerably slowed the advance of your vined blob of men. Several times you were unable to base a gobbo because you lacked the ap to move two tiles after breaking free.

Yeah i saw this happen multiple times and it really sucked. But it's only because of forest terrain and I'm still not convinced pathfinder is worth one of the very limited number of perks you get.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The enemy numbers start to severely damage the versimilitude of the game. No company captain would look at this 47 dense fortification and think 'yes my 12 dudes should totally take this on'. I lose interest really fast in any game when the battles stop making sense in an in-universe sense.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Fair enough, but keep in mind that these 47 enemy fortresses are very-post game content. You never get tasked to go out there and deal with them, you may not even know they exist the first few games you play because you have to go way out of your way to find them. Just something to think about if you're one of the many fans of the game that don't stop playing once you've 'beaten' the game after the end game crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Install the mod that lets you field all your dudes, hell use some gold to hire some more guys then steamroll that place.