Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Check out my fancy rear end new armor you ruddy peasants. :frogc00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I can't hear you over the sound of my sweet leathers mate.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
The Black Parade, days 106-111

With the LP winding down there was still at least one thing I wanted to show off that was easily within my power to do so without mods or grinding or playing a 200+ game day campaign. Following the previous update, I scouted around a little and then went back to Kornstadt. The next fight really required my men to be in full fighting condition and I specifically wanted Mojangles to be ready for the fight, which was a problem as he had an injury at the end of the last update. So, it was time to return to the city, sell our loot, visit the temple, and even pay a visit to Heldenburg. I had around 21,000 crowns and wanted to see what Heldenburg had to offer. Sadly I walked away with out making any purchases. I was really hoping for some sort of named item, or at very least a fighting spear since Wokow is the only man still using a tier 2 weapon.

I also picked up a mission to wipe out a greenskin camp while I was in Heldenburg because why not. Can always find a use for extra money and it was on the way. The camp was 14 wolfriders and offered no credible threat to the men.

It was over fast and they barely managed to scratch up the armor of three of our men. The loot was garbage but at least the contract paid well. Herpicle leveled up and picked up Underdog.

Of course, I didn't come out into greenskin territory just for this. We have bigger game to hunt.

Further along the way as we pushed farther west into uncharted land I came across a pack of orc hunters. About 8 to 10 of them, all young ones. They didn't stand a chance and were slain before they even landed a hit on any of our men. Again, not what I was looking for, but still a nice little free snack of exp.

There it is. That is what we came out here for. A tent city of orcs, with a warlord present. Home of the biggest and meanest orcs available. I started by saying I specifically wanted Mojangles for this fight, and this was the reason. Heavily armored orcs, and lots of them. They're going to be a super pain to fight, but Mo's hammer will really help smash through that armor. Also, I made similar consideration to Sigmar and Megane for they bring war hammers to the fight, which secondary ability to destroy armor will likewise help crack open the plate wearing orcs.

Obarakk

That was a tough fight that had a lot going on in it. Thankfully it was a long enough fight that I covered everything in the video. To recap though, terrain advantage and the swamp was a huge deal, bringing armor destroying weapons like warhammers and the maul also critical, and playing the morale game by focusing on the weaker units first to make the tougher orcs waver before getting into the fight. Also the warhammer and intimidate combination is really nice for this through heavy armor. A lot of things needed to go right to avoid taking casualties in this fight, as two or three hits from an orc warrior is all it takes, or one unfortunate hit to the head.

So what did we get out of all this?

A pile of uncut gems, two days' worth of questionable meat, a pile of tools and orc weapons, and what I was hoping to find, something rare and glowing.

Sir Hilderich's Cutter is a named Noble sword, shown side by side there for easy comparison. You can see the stats are largely the same, but the Cutter has 15% more damage through armor and a +6% chance to hit the head. It is a nice sword to be sure, but it goes to show that named weapons aren't hugely better than regular top of the market weapons. Named weapons can add bonuses to six or seven stats, being min damage, max damage, dmg through armor, dmg against armor, chance to hit head, fatigue penalty, and I think max durability. The increases to these parameters aren't always huge game changers we might want out of very rare loot like this. I believe at the absolute maximum that min and max damage can be increased is by 30%. Looking at the Cutter we just looted, I think I would have been happier with +5 to min and max damage than the bonus chance to hit the head. But that is just me and my gripes about the hell I had to go through to get this sword that's only marginally better than a store-bought noble sword. Sometimes the random bonuses might make what you loot just amazing.

Lot of exp earned on that fight too. Skippy hits level 11 and picks up two perks. I was a little unsure on what to give Skippy, he had all the damage dealing ranged skills I could really see to give him so I went in another direction. Skippy picks up Rotation so he can get out of melee with a baddie and put a front liner in his place. This is arguably unnecessary when he already has Footwork to get away, but swapping places with a melee brother can be a much different and more beneficial move than just stepping away into and open space. Sometimes there just isn't an open space to escape into either. So I'll admit that it isn't super likely to get used a lot, but in fights like the last one where the back line gets pushed in on, it might save lives. Skippy's second perk is Polearm Mastery, again a bit of a non-standard pick for me, but the war scythe uses up a lot of fatigue and the mastery makes the multi target attack the scythe has more accurate. So again not an amazing choice that will see tons of value every fight, but I can see it making a difference often enough to be worthwhile.

With the war camp destroyed I am satisfied and it's time to head back to civilization. Maybe time to sell all the loot, divvy up the money and retire.

But there's still more greenskins in the way on the trip back.

Found some more hunting parties on the way back. They didn't stand a chance of course. No video for this one either. Just a quick massacre that leveled up Sigmar and he learned the Underdog perk.

Even more greenskins! Goblins this time, and despite the name of the place not a single wolf to be found. The fight was too similar to the previous updates fight with an Overseer so I didn't turn this one into a video either.

Looking at the post battle screen you can see that goblins are still assholes. Flesnolk and Mojangles both took puncture wounds from the little green jerks and on top of that the Overseer ran away and I was unable to kill him and take his crossbow.

The Nabster leveled up to level 8 and picked up Backstabber to help with melee accuracy. Frankomatic reached level 11 and gets Crippling Strikes and Rotation, again for the same sort of thinking as with Skippy. For a bit I ponder things like belts and bags, or Pathfinder, but those sorts of perks seem stronger to me if they were put on everyone, not just one person.

This happened in moments after the fight. Flesnolk healed from his injury in maybe hours. He healed faster from a goblin dagger in the side than I healed from petting my brother's cat and finding out he was a Trap Cat.

After all that we finally make it back to civilization. Time to visit the temple, off load orcish weapons for cash, and see about our contract from Heldenburg.

Not a bad payment for destroying a goblin camp that was on the way to what I really wanted to be doing anyway. As soon as I collect the pay from this mission, I am offered another, to defend Kornstadt from marauding greenskins. I was going to head to Kornstadt anyway so this works out well for me.

I thought this was a bit rare, an Overseer in a raiding party. I can't remember the last time I saw that, but we are in post crisis late game territory so maybe it's not to be unexpected. And this gives me one more opportunity to kill an Overseer before it retreats away and takes its crossbow with them.

Defending Kornstadt

Also I am dumb and Olesh was right that the order of injuries on the Overseer was leg, cheek, then arm. I am dumb and bad and can't remember things that happen five minutes ago.

After all the effort spent to track down an Overseer and get their crossbow and I forgot to take a loot screenshot after that fight. No worries though, I can get it in post.

Looking this up in post I've come to realize that the Spiked Impaler here isn't substantially better than a Heavy Crossbow. They have the same damage and vs armor stats as each other, and the regular human line of crossbows add a +15 to hit the Spiked Impaler only adds +10. In the end that means the difference in the Impaler versus a heavy crossbow is a trade between the Impaler having knock back and costing 2 less fatigue to equip and the heavy crossbow have an additional +5 to hit. Not as big a difference as I originally thought. Is it worth it though? I'd still say absolutely. In the orc video Olesh brought up using the poke ability of pikes to knock enemies around and I expressed my hesitation with it since it means not using the turn to deal damage. The spiked impaler doesn't have this problem. It could be used from directly behind the front line to deal a serious hit and knock people back. Or just hitting targets as they attempt to close the distance to your front line may delay them a turn, force them out of position, or at least use up extra AP to regain the ground which could mean them using up AP that prevents them from attacking a turn earlier. It's great, even if I maybe over hyped it.

Heading back to collect our pay and figure out what my next move is. I'm glad I got to kill that warlord and show off one or two last things. I stripped this update down to bare bones as I'm winding down the LP. There is still the goblin city and the black marker to show off, but I think those just might be screenshots and non-canon as without a lot of grinding they are almost certain death.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Another video missed the playlist. On topic, drat was that orc fight a grindfest. :orks101:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Man Splitters are for blessed Hedge Knights.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

NGDBSS posted:

Another video missed the playlist. On topic, drat was that orc fight a grindfest. :orks101:

I really hate the new youtube studio beta layout. It's been like this for years, and it's still terrible for managing lots of videos each with a dozen of thier own tiny options worth double checking.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If you mentioned this in the video then I am sorry for explaining it again, but Orc Warlords have an upgraded version of rally that can be quite terrifying as it buffs the morale of nearby orcs (and can even push them to confidant) it inflicts a morale check on nearby battle bros. So whilst an orc warlord at the front can carve through your lines, one stuck just behind the front can just keep on yelling until your line buckles.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I think i may have forgot since Skascab didn't demonstrate the warlord battle cry. It is certainly a really bad thing when a bunch of orc warriors all suddenly gain confident morale.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Post Game Non-Canon Content

Right, so there were two things I've been talking about that are the big post game big dungeons of doom. The Goblin City and the source of the undead, the Black Marker. Not that marker, Dead Space has a copyright on it, this one is legally distinct from that one. So we're going to take a very short visit to each of them because I don't think words alone can describe how much bullshit they are.

First up the goblin city.

Rul'Gazhix (or whatever, its name may change between playthroughs, I am not really sure) is the goblin city and is guaranteed to be on the world map somewhere. It has a predetermined garrison, is full of small green assholes, and is also guaranteed to provide a very specific helmet if you clear it. The Emperor's Helmet in fact. What emperor? The one all the loving skeletons and the dream lady seem to think you are a reincarnation of.

Yeah, that. See that? We're not getting that today. But seriously, look at that thing. That is an absolute ton of armor for -14 fatigue. The special effect on it also makes it peerless. So, there is the singular reason to ever gently caress with the goblin city.

So, how bad could it be?

Well if just what's visible there isn't bad enough, there is a ton of goblins still in the fog of war including 3 or 4 overseers and 3 shamans. It's cool that Klaus always gets the first action so I can take a screenshot before all the goblins start moving.

This is still turn 1 here, and only Travel Log has moved I think. Some gob got too close to him and paid for it. However everyone but Travel Log and one of the archers are caught up in shaman vines. The Nabster is already dead because he had the lowest ranged defense and the goblins have about a dozen archers, so by sheer volume of fire Nabster ate it.

This is by the time I get my first action on turn two. Everyone is surrounded, most of the men are dealing with nets or vines, and the shamans are now casting angry bees at us. Nets you can at least break and are only -35/45 to defenses and initiative (vines and nets respectively), but the bees are -50% to just about everything and there is no way to deal with them but to suffer through it for 3 turns. Oh, it also stacks with vines or a net.

Olesh has talked a bit about the time and AP cost of properly flanking or going around an enemy line and how it's pretty unfeasible without wolves or goblin wolf riders. Well it's plenty feasible for the goblins here with the lovely infantry ones holding up the front-line fighters and the shaman magic making everything just unmanageable. So, on top of all the normal problems, I have wolf riders easily able to spend the time to wrap around my line and totally surround me and fight my archers in melee.

Turn three and it's totally clear how hosed we are. Frankomatic was killed by a wolf rider, Shinarato is tangle in vines with broken morale, and we've only managed to kill 5 goblins so far. Flesnolk is being highlighted here, one of our best fighters, only having a 21% chance to hit this lovely goblin. Flesnolk is affected by bees and vines which absolutely cripple any ability of his to fight back.

Here is turn four by the time I get to take my first action. Almost everyone is dead, I have 4 men left, and only two of them who aren't trying to flee. I have only managed to kill 6 goblins so far and I've lost 8 men. This clearly isn't a fight we were in any shape to win and I give up at this point and retreat.

So yeah, gently caress the goblin city. I reloaded the save from the end of the previous update to the LP and set off to find the Black Marker.

Way out here in the north west I find my black marker. Location subject to change between playthroughs.

A better look at it from up close. The marker is pretty much the same as the goblin city in how it operates. It's a guaranteed map feature on world creation, has a fixed garrison, and is guaranteed to give you a specific piece of armor if you clear it.

Once again we find armor belonging to the mythical emperor. The stats on it are of course amazing, the highest armor value I think there is in the game, and all for the same fatigue penalty that some of our men are receiving from the reinforced hauberks. 240 vs 430 armor for the same fatigue penalty is an amazing upgrade, and of course it has the same damage reflecting properties that the helmet did.

Again, we will not be getting that armor today.

This is turn one, after Klaus passed on his first action. Just what is on screen would be a huge fight and a massive challenge, but there is more.

Much like the Goblins had shaman the undead have priests. They are very similar, having two spells to cast every turn just like the shaman. The first is a small area of effect miasma cloud that lingers for a few turns dealing 5 damage a turn to any living creature in it. It only effects living units, so the skeletons can walk right through it and not care. The second spell is call Horror and is a more focused and potent version of the ghosts screaming. Horror only affects a small area, target hex and adjacent just like the miasma, and forces a difficult resolve check. It is capable of making soldiers waver and if they really fail the resolve check they can suffer the 'Horrified' status effect which forces the loss of one turn. I'm not sure which are worse, the shaman spells or the priest spells. I'd lean toward the shaman spells, but then I didn't get stuck into a fight breathing in miasma clouds, so I haven't experienced exactly how horrible that is.

Shinarato actually gets horrified here and if you look around you can see six necrosavants have teleported in behind my lines and are going to murder our archers, and one more on the right side of the screen just didn't make it far enough or something. That puts this fight at about 30 something heavily armored and armed skeletons, at least one spell caster, and seven teleporting lightning strike dickbags. Yeah, gently caress this place too.

Start of turn three for our side and it's already super bad. The necro's have already killed two of our archers and five of the remaining ten men are fleeing. There's really no hope for this fight.

Turn four and things are only worse. Three more men dead and I haven't even killed a single skeleton yet. Four of the seven left are fleeing and there is just nothing that can be done here. This fight's over and I hit the retreat button.

I felt the LP wouldn't be complete without least showing off these two locations, but they are way beyond the normal range of difficulty you encounter during the regular game. The old strategies used to involve going in, getting as many kills as you could before retreating and then getting out to heal up and go in again because the garrison would never replenish. It was slow and costly, but it could be done. For the LP though, I'm not going to try any more on these optional fights. Too much stress or too much grinding needed to deal with them. Things may have changed a little with the DLCs that came out midway through the LP though with the new weapons and armor customization to let you modify your gear, but I doubt these fights would be much easier even then. Also, sadly I never saw a Lindwurm besides that one moment on the world map before it was killed by a house company. They are big land serpents that you can fight, and it's sort of like fighting a dragon. It has a lot of special properties and gives a lot of valuable items worth selling, but no unique gear, at least not in this patch of the game. With the monsters and hunters DLC things like wolf hides and lindwurm scales become part of a crafting system and the lindwurm scales make great add-ons to armor.

I plan to end the LP here. I've shown and entire campaign and just about everything I possibly can in the game. There are now two DLC packs out full of content I didn't get to show off here. The first we've talked about a bit and adds five or six new types of monsters, new weapons and a crafting system to modify your equipment. The newest one just came out and adds a barbarian faction to the snowy north of the map. While the LP ends here, I plan on taking a bit of time to find and install a bunch of mods and then I am going to stream another playthrough on my twitch page, which can be found here.

Lastly I'd like to give a big thanks to Olesh for all the co-commentary, but also for all his help proof reading my posts and fixing all my little mistakes. With out Without him this LP wouldn't have been nearly as good.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks a ton for this LP, and for the effort in showing off those last two cities. It's been great following along. Turn-based strategy games don't get enough love.

Those last two cities go beyond my expectations for how hard things would get in the end game. How much grinding would it take for you to even contemplate hit and runs? That you can't even get through a single round without people dying is sobering.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Jade could do them right now if he got real lucky with enemy groups spawning nearby and being kited so that they run into those locations but without that you need min-maxed bros stacked up with legendary items.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Good LP. I enjoyed the ins and outs of it (and having my name on a Bro) and a lot of the grumps are ones I found too with the game. Later on when you start facing 20 enemies to your 12 bros sort of throws a lot of the strategy out the window and bunkering down and whittling things down while hoping you don't get whittled down.

It's still a fairly interesting game at least!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Chuu posted:

Thanks a ton for this LP, and for the effort in showing off those last two cities. It's been great following along. Turn-based strategy games don't get enough love.

Those last two cities go beyond my expectations for how hard things would get in the end game. How much grinding would it take for you to even contemplate hit and runs? That you can't even get through a single round without people dying is sobering.

I beat the Black Monolith once with no hit-and-runs. I took a company that was on like day 300, almost entirely with guys between like levels 12-20, with a lot of uniques and maybe 7 or 8 two-handers. No archers because undead don't take much damage from arrows anyway, and necrosavants mean you'll be surrounded no matter what you do. I used the terrain to make it so they couldn't completely surround me, and then just fought and fought and fought. Once your bros get to that level and are all decked out in plate mail and greatswords and uniques, each one of your guys is worth like four ancient legionnaires anyway. In the end I won losing like 5 bros I think. Then instantly retired because that was like the day before the first DLC came out so I was only doing it as a kind of capstone on a really long run anyway. So it is possible, but it's post-post-endgame content.

As Hunt11 mentioned, another popular strategy is to find a big band of orcs and lead them into the Monolith so the orcs and undead kill each other and you mop up the rest.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Thank you for the LP boss, it was a good ride.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

vyelkin posted:

As Hunt11 mentioned, another popular strategy is to find a big band of orcs and lead them into the Monolith so the orcs and undead kill each other and you mop up the rest.
The gently caress? That works?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Affi posted:

The gently caress? That works?

yep. it can be a real pain the rear end to actually do, but it's worth the effort if the black monolith spawns in orc land.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Great LP, comprehensive and digestible text complimented by fun and useful videos!

Makes me want to do an lp with one of the new starts...

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
So hey, the LP might be over, but while I was buying the two DLC packs for it for my upcoming stream run, I saw that the game is super on sale for the next 27 and a half hours as of this post. The base game is 50% off and going for $15, though I don't think the DLCs are discounted. If you were interested in the game and want to try it for yourself, this is as good an opportunity as ever.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Thanks for the LP as I'll never play this game myself. The was a wild ride from start to finish and I loved every minute of it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

vyelkin posted:

The most Warhammer of all solutions.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zaodai posted:

The most Warhammer of all solutions.

Speaking of which, since the LP's over I think I can show you one of the weapons I found in the new DLC:

And it gets better- you can start out as a trio of barbarain raiders, and apparent;y one of the name/title combos you can get is Skarbrand the Despoiler :black101:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'm honestly fairly tempted to pick it up just for the barbarian DLC and all the stuff it claims to add. I'm just waiting on hearing whether people find it to be a good overall addition or not.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Honestly, if you're expecting anything truly mind-blowing, like a new crisis or campaign mode, I'd say hold off. It's BB all over again, except with a lot of new bells and whistles added on. I'm finding the Lone Wolf start to be quite good though, since if you lose your first bro (who is your player avatar character), the game's over, which really makes protecting that one guy a major factor that the usual BB games don't have. The other starts also have their own modifiers that affect the game, of course, but between the need to protect your guy and the fact that you're limited to 12 bros max, the LW start is by far the most dramatic change if you ask me.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm loving the poo poo out of the new expansion.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Thanks for the LP OP, it was a good read and watch all the way through.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

A great LP of a great game, and surprisingly free of the Jaids, save one small occurrence. Eager to see what game you end up doing next, when it comes time.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

ShootaBoy posted:

A great LP of a great game, and surprisingly free of the Jaids, save one small occurrence. Eager to see what game you end up doing next, when it comes time.

The answer may surprise you!*

* Stream regulars will not be surprised.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

After the LP here, yeah I could use another tactical RPG in my life. Thanks for showing this off! Even if the postgame areas are Brightmon Tor as gently caress.

I'm interested in seeing the stream but I don't usually pay attention to that scene. Do you ever put out alerts in the streaming thread or is it just through Twitch?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

CommissarMega posted:

Honestly, if you're expecting anything truly mind-blowing, like a new crisis or campaign mode, I'd say hold off. It's BB all over again, except with a lot of new bells and whistles added on. I'm finding the Lone Wolf start to be quite good though, since if you lose your first bro (who is your player avatar character), the game's over, which really makes protecting that one guy a major factor that the usual BB games don't have. The other starts also have their own modifiers that affect the game, of course, but between the need to protect your guy and the fact that you're limited to 12 bros max, the LW start is by far the most dramatic change if you ask me.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm loving the poo poo out of the new expansion.

The one that lets you put more people on the field at once also seems like it would change the gameplay a lot.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Great LP, I appreciated the screenshot/video format, work pretty well.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

NGDBSS posted:

I'm interested in seeing the stream but I don't usually pay attention to that scene. Do you ever put out alerts in the streaming thread or is it just through Twitch?

I used to do this, but have been lazy about it recently. I'll post in the thread when i stream BB (and remember to), and I'll also try to save the vods of it on my twitch page.

e: like right now! Let's do this! Stream Link

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Posting here too because why not. Nexus mods caught up with the warriors of the north DLC and so i cramed a few more mods into my game which probably means I have to restart a campaign to make sure they work. Streaming it here: https://www.twitch.tv/sa_Jadestar