Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Torov ready to get horribly murdered by any sort of monstrosities while having nothing more than a tunic and (if I'm lucky) a spear. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

You have Mojangles' axe

Hankosha
Apr 1, 2008

SISTAS ARE DOIN' IT FOR THEMSELVES
Hankosha reporting for death.

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Nalesh Somehow survived wang being bad at darkest dungeon, do not make the same mistake :v:

Xenav
Feb 21, 2012

After what we've seen, we're going to need more than THAT to save us...
Welp, been wondering when you were going to play this one. You have my bow, Xenav signing up for hopeful glory, but most likely to be shot dead by other archers. Seriously, gently caress those guys.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Lash, "The Lightning", can be added to the growing list of gongfarmers, if only to add another warm body to the meat grinder.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Landsknecht, signing up.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

If you get through all the other warm bodies to hire HiHo, you've got a problem.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If you get all the way to Night you are totally screwed.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Make Wishbone the cheapest, crustiest cripple you can hire.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Jade Star posted:

I attempted to... it uh... really convinced me that full video was not the right format choice for what I had in mind.

I tried recording a 24 v 30 something battle.

It was a lot of watching the AI move one square at a time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Here's hoping anilEhilated can survive more than one fight in this LP.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Koorisch will live to smash skulls and shank dudes again!

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Coffee is going to die to something horribly mundane no doubt.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hunt11 will also volunteer in the hope of finding a better end then being inside some wolf.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

The Cook is ready to face danger at every turn for the chance to make excellent food!

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Zeniel 's got what it takes to die at the hands of marauders!

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Hell yes, I've been waiting for this LP! ShootaBoy is here to be that guy you have to panic hire at the last minute!

Donowitz
Feb 26, 2012

Jade mentioned wanting to do this one more than once on stream but I didn't think we were going to see it. Sweet. Donowitz is ready to serve, if enough people die for you to pull from this far in.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar
Smarfgarbl is ready to be slaughtered

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Asehujiko signing up for stabbing things for money! Maybe I'll do better at half-swording than half-tracking as in Grey Hunter's games.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have to say I was surprised you took so many brothers to the intro fight.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Donkringel ready to die in a single round again!

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Hunt11 posted:

I have to say I was surprised you took so many brothers to the intro fight.

So was I. That was not how i usually tackle the intro fight but hey, when all you have are fishermen and beggers... Gotta make due.

:siren:Okay that is enough sign ups. I'm at a list of 94 people:siren:

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
The thread thirsts for blood, and anticipates you will provide.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.
Guess that means it's an Ironman LP :getin:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Elpato posted:

Elpato signing up.

Put me on the shield line, Cap. Just don't let me make any decisions. We're better off that way.

You say that like everybody (except Herp the lich) died in your LP or something!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Veloxyll posted:

You say that like everybody (except Herp the lich) died in your LP or something!

If you have watched the stream he has already went through another company and a half of brothers.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ghouls, man. Elpato's got ghoul problems.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

The Black Parade, days 1-3

The First Post may have slain Hoggart, but they weren't the only ones. Starting the LP proper is The Black Parade. Coming back to the town of Krakendorf after the loss of their former captain and having avenged him by slaying Hoggart, the Black Parade is determined to return to glory as a mercenary company. It is looking like a long road however as the company coffers are light on crowns and what crowns they do hold will be quickly spent on the most meager of equipment and fresh faced recruits. Nothing comes easily in this world. The survivors of the company have hired on several new hands, though none look to be hardened fighters. Some of them may rise to the challenge. Some I hold doubts about. In any case let us meet the brothers of The Black Parade.

Flesnolk was one of the few remaining brothers that lived through Hoggarts ambush. He is steady with out excelling in any one area. He does have a good melee attack score though, 61 is going to be noticeably higher than most non-military background recruits. I've managed to find some decent protection for him as well, the padded leather at least offers modest protection for now, 50 armor points. It's enough to stop one, maybe two hits from a small weapon. For head protection he wears an aketon cap, which is padded cloth. It's not great, but it's something to protect his head for now, 40 armor points. The militia spear he holds is a staple of new recruits. Spears are often the weapon of choice for getting started. They don't do a lot of damage, but they carry an intrinsic +20 to hit when your thrust with them. Even if they don't hit like a truck, they at least hit more often than other weapons and often times that is more important. The round shield is the most common thing to see on any fighter. These wooden shields offer +15 defense to ranged and melee and early on is your best bet for staying alive. Lastly he has a crappy knife tucked away on his belt. Sometimes carrying backup weapons can be useful and I'll cover that at a later time. Those who know the game might know exactly why it is there, but I'll cover that later too.

To quickly cover the stats that are shown, they display current armor values, health points, action points (hourglass), fatigue (guy slumping over), morale, resolve (dancing lion), Initiative (two silhouettes), melee attack, ranged attack, melee defense, ranged defense, damage of weapon equipped (sword and heart), weapons effectiveness vs armor (sword and armor), chance to hit targets head (cracked skull), and vision measured in tiles. It's fairly easy to read and understand the character stats. The one exception might be the question 'Why do some of them have little stars on them?' and that is the one trick. Each character will get a few stars on a maximum of three stats. A stat marked by stars will be more likely to grow faster than the others when it comes time to level up. Again, more detail on that later.

Travel Log is another companion from the start, still carrying his axe. He also starts with a fairly high melee skill at 63 and has two stars in it. That combined with the star in melee defense means he is actually moderately well suited to continue using a two handed weapon. Using two handed weapons at the start can be tricky because with out a shield his melee defense is 4. That isn't very good. Typically I try to find someone with two or three stars in melee defense to make my two handers, but Travel Log ought to do just fine until then. To compensate for the lack of shield Travel Log gets the best armor I could get my hands on, which incidentally happens to be Hoggarts patched mail. At 90 armor it will protect Travel Log from a couple of attacks.

Mr. Yar is the last remaining brother from the ambush and is my only archer at the moment. Crossbows are usually the beginners weapon, they have higher bonuses to hit over bows at a range of 1-4 tiles. They tie at 5 tiles and bows win out at 6+ tiles. As you might expect crossbows are better at punching through armor than bows, but the reload time takes up almost an entire turn. A crossbowman that wants to fire and reload his crossbow can do so in one turn, but can not move or do anything else. Mr. Yar has a dagger just in case, but I honestly don't expect to ever use that. As fortune smiles upon me Mr. Yar has two stars in ranged attack, vital for an archer, and one star in ranged defense. While ranged defense isn't as vital, I do like getting some points in it to mitigate return fire from enemy archers. Lastly he has sure footing, which is cool but I'd rather have had it on Travel Log or Flesnolk, someone that will actually be spending their time in melee. Oh well, I am still just as happy that the stars landed on good stats.

So there are our three competent battle brothers. Let's meet the rest of the rabble I was able to round up...

Sullat here... Well the company needed men...The only good thing to be said for him is that he's quick, 119 initiative is really fast. Now this is subject to decline when we put some real gear on him. Heavier armor may protect better, but it also slows you down. This is represented in game by armor, shields, and weapons reducing a brothers maximum fatigue and initiative. Current fatigue also lowers initiative, a tired brother will act slower than a fresh one. Still, Sullat is quick... and that's all he's got going for him. He has three stars in ranged attack, which would be great if his starting value was anything near average. Starting at 26 though means that he needs about 25 more points just to get to the average level of a recruit with a background befitting archery, like a hunter, poacher, or bowyer. So it's doubtful if not impossible that Sullats advantage in stat growth will ever make up such a deficit. Sullat is also a fainthearted drunkard, and none of that is good. Interestingly his drinking problem makes up for his slight cowardice. However that drinking problem makes him less likely to score hits in combat. While it does provide a slight boost to damage pet hit, the penalty to hit chances isn't worth it in my opinion. All told I don't expect great things of Sullat. If he does survive to gain some veterancy I expect him to be among the first to be fired to make room for those more suited to combat. For lack of crowns and lack of stocked market places Sullat doesn't start with much to keep him safe in combat.

Pawn shows some promise as a recruit, despite being picked off the streets as a beggar and being gluttonous... somehow. With 56 melee attack and one star in the stat he shows good promise of being able to strike the enemy. The star in ranged attack is going to waste most likely, and the three in initiative are unlikely to influence how he progresses down the road. Since he shows a bit of promise he was given a padded surcoat, a shield, and a cloth hood. It's not great, but it's the best our recruits can expect at this point.

Flamester also shows promise as a fighter, despite his humble beginnings as a fisherman and his possible disloyalty. Starting with 53 melee attack and 3 stars in it means we can rely on Flamester to smash the enemy once he gets a few levels and a better weapon. Crowns were lacking to properly equip him though, still wearing only a thick tunic and straw hat to protect him. I at least found a buckler for him, while not as good as a normal shield at least its something. The disloyal trait shouldn't be a problem. It's usually not very hard to avoid running out of pay or food, but if we do Flamester will be the first to pack up his poo poo and head home.

Hard Gay was a warm body for the front line against Hoggart. With average melee skill and his drinking problem I don't expect much from him sadly. If he'd started with double his ranged attack he might have been set as an archer with the boost to vision range and the bonus to ranged defense from three stars. Sadly Hard Gay is pretty mediocre, and the drunkard trait makes me doubt he will hold a long career in The Black Parade.

Wokow shows some potential. Nothing extraordinary, but with a average melee skill and a star in it he might turn out well. He is brave, which is nice but not spectacular. No serious flaws, but no expectations of him standing out either. Though it may be worth noting he has slightly higher than average defensive values. Wokow is what I would expect with an early recruit. Given some of the gear i could manage to scrap up, a hand axe and shield, he ought to do alright.

Now that we've met the team lets have a look around.

Krakendorf is barely even on the map. There is very little here and if it wasn't for the docks there might not even be life here. If you were wondering why equipment was lacking for our men, well, look around and let me know if you see any for sale somewhere. Essentially... gently caress this place. Every town has a market place and men for recruitment, which is about all Krakendorf has. There are four slots for special buildings, which you can probably tell, are absent from this place. We'll talk about them when we find them but the only thing here is the docks so we'll mention that. Docks provide fast travel to any other town or city that also has a dock. The docks aren't free and the cost is based upon distance and number of battle brothers you're transporting. It can be useful sometimes, but for right now I can ignore it. The most important thing Krakendorf is lacking is work. Not visible in the picture above is the icon of a scroll indicating a job offer. You may think we're in a good position having recruited a number of men and made 800 crowns for defeating Hoggart (400 the first fight and 400 for killing him proper) but we are still poorly equipped and need money for real war gear. As it stands a strong brigand force could have their way with us if they catch us on the roads. We need work, money, and gear, and it'll be in that order too. So let's get out of here.

Seehoben is just a short ways to the east via road, and while it doesn't look much better than Krakendorf, it does look better than Krakendorf.

Well I did say it was better, but not by much. It too has a dockyard in case I ever want to come back here for some reason. It has a tavern where crowns can be spent buying the company a round or two to improve morale or you can buy some loose tongued patrons a round to get some gossip out of them. Usually that doesn't lead to much, but sometimes a patron will tell you where a bandit hideout or some point of interest is and very rarely they may know where a rare and unique piece of armor or weapon has been sighted. For now the most important thing in the town is the scroll at the top left. That's a job offer, and we need work.

I will likely summarize these briefly in text after this update, but for now here's the contract system in its entirety.

Courier work isn't particularly attractive or lucrative work, but for now it offers two benefits: first it's a paying job and we need money and second it's a job that pays us to relocate. There isn't a lot of work or wealth near where we started, so going somewhere else has to be better than sticking around here. An important factor in contracts is the skull system. See the two skulls on that contract? That is the difficulty rating. Jobs will never spell out how dangerous they are but the skulls will give you an idea. Contracts range from one skull to three, and I'd be a little wary of a two skull mission right away, but it's a courier job and the odds that the game specifically spawns something to attack us en-route is low.

We can try to haggle for a better payment every time we take a contract. We can demand partial payment up front if we need some quick cash right away, or demand more on completion, usually forgoing the advance payment. Usually I don't press contracts too hard unless payday is coming up and I need money to pay the men before the contract could be completed in full. For now I just demand a higher price overall.

Well I talked him up 40 crowns in total. It's not much but I'm actually surprised I got away with demanding more at all. We're just a poo poo show startup right now. As we gain fame and reputation we will be able to demand more from anyone that wants to hire us. For now though I won't press my luck trying to demand higher payments. A total of 580 crowns for walking to another city isn't bad really and it's early on, this could be risk free money to get the men better geared before our next fight.

Here we finalize the contract. I have to explicitly state I am taking the contract, all the negotiations before this do not force you to accept the job. We can try to demand a higher pay for a job and if refused we can walk away from it. That probably won't ever happen, but you can do that. More importantly though is that you can negotiate contracts and then tell them that you need more time to think about it. This will finalize the payment of the contract and make the job offer stay open for some amount of time. This can be handy when a town has multiple contracts that you want to accept. You can only ever be under one contract at time so talking to each contract and then having them wait around can be useful to ensure future job opportunities. I don't know for sure how long they will stick around waiting for you, but in my experience it has been long enough that I've never missed out on coming back to a contract I wanted to complete a few days later. In any case, I take the contract and head out of town. Time to look at the world map and figure out where we are headed.

Warning, map is huge and thumbnailed.

So we have a way to go. For 580 crowns I should have expected a pretty long hike. I still have a chunk of my starting cash on hand though since the local markets were so bare. That means I can use this trip to stop by the cities along the way and maybe better equip our men. Looking at the map my first stop will be Gelbfelsfeste, which looks to be a castle. Farther north I can look in Hermannshof if Gelbfelsfeste doesn't hold what I need. All in all, this is looking like a pretty good first contract. Decent pay, low risk, and a chance to drop by some other towns to purchase much needed equipment.

Ah yes, that's a proper castle alright. I'm just calling this place Gelb from now on because gently caress that name.

Now this is a proper place for men of war and strife. A mighty citadel commands the surrounding area, which means we are more likely to find fighting men seasoned in combat looking for work. The city itself is full of life as well. A fletcher has set up shop and would be the ideal place to look for ranged equipment had I any need. A tavern awaits the travel weary. A training hall emits a constant din of steal and sweat as fighters train their skills. We could visit the training hall to pay for some training, giving a brother a boost to earned exp for a while, but the costs of such lessons is too much for us right now. Lastly, in the back closest to the castle is a armorsmiths forge. There we will find quality armor and helmets to keep our men alive. Their better stock is likely to be out of my price range, but I have brothers still wearing thick clothes in the hopes of turning aside a blade. Perhaps I can clear out their bargain bin.

Yeah that's the good stuff. Quality heater and kite shields offer more protection than the normal wooden round shields and we could only dream of being so lucky as to wear some of that heavy plate mail or sturdy chain armor. There is some studded leather that is more my price range, but even still I have several brothers to equip and not so many crowns to go around. I may have to take my pickings from the common market place and... hey wait... Is that piece of armor 42,000 crowns?

Holy gently caress it is. With 378 armor points that thing would make anyone a god drat tank. I can only look at that thing and dream of the day when I have 42,700 crowns to spend on a single suit of armor. That thing is worth more than the entire company combined at this point. Well gently caress.

Turning to the market place I snag four suits of armor. One suit of leather lamellar which provides about the best protection you're going to get out of a non metal suit at 95 armor. Two padded surcoats aren't great, but at 50 armor they're better than what some of our men are wearing. Lastly a gambeson, a sturdy and heavy padded tunic offers decent protection with 65 armor. I'd say a gamebeson is what I'd aim to have everyone wearing, or better, before long.

The last thing before I leave town is checking the recruitment pool. This is a nice castle and likely to have some good recruits.

drat. Now that is a fighter. Wiedekind there is a level 5 hedgeknight wearing a heavy helm and some sort of heavy chainmail by the looks and wielding a battle axe. Obviously I'd hire him if I could but that's not going to happen any time soon. But this is the kind of recruit that is possible at a well supplied castle town. One day when we have enough money these are the kinds of men that will fill our ranks, and not rat catchers that still smell of the sewers and cower from bloodshed. ...no offense Sullat.

With everyone now wearing something at least resembling armor, at least on their torso, we hit the road once more. It's still a good distance to our destination. I don't make it to Hermannshof before something comes up.

From time to time ambitions will pop up and give us the choice to set goals for the company. Some of these are mostly for fluff or fun, while some of them have serious consequences or unlock more things for our company to do. I wish I could save ahead of time and post these decisions to the thread, but they come up randomly and I'd have to trigger one, post it, and reload the game to deal with it. So it's just going to be my call, sorry guys. In this case I doubt my finances could sustain taking on and equipping four more men so I decide to work up relations with a town. A town that likes us will give us better prices at the market, pay better for contracts, and may be more likely to have work for us. Generally it's just an all around benefit to have towns like us.

Hermannshof turned out to be unremarkable. A small town whose only interesting feature is a temple. Temples offer healing services for money. They don't restore HP like you might think, but rather brothers may take a number of minor injuries during combat such as broken fingers, a concussion, or have various bits of them pierced by arrows or spears, etc. Each of these minor injuries will impact a soldiers ability to fight in some way, from lowering their max HP or fatigue, lowering damage dealt on hits, or decreasing attack or defensive stats. The battlefield is a dangerous place and no one will go by unscathed, the temple can accelerate the healing process of these injuries and return them to fighting shape faster.

Moving on from Hermannshof we're almost there, one more stop to make at Eichendorf. Or so I had planned. Battle Brothers has pretty good path finding on the map. Meaning it'll always try to move your company in the shortest path between two distances, not by shortest distance, but by shortest amount of time traveled. This is really nice actually, but leads to the follow situation.

Now the green line is the road. It's nice and safe and faster to travel on than any other terrain. Roads through woods or swamps are slower, but still faster than woods or swamps with out roads. The red route is the fastest route, but it cuts through some spooky looking woods and we'd be there in the middle of the night. If someone wanted to ambush the packaged we're transporting, that'd be the time and place. I went ahead and risked it and followed the games pathing, the red route, to get there as fast as possible.

Turns out we were safe! No ambushes in the forest and we arrive safely. The councilman we hand the package over to is rude at best, but at least we got paid. The 460 crowns will most likely go toward food, wages, and other necessary supplies. With payment in hand let's take a look at the town of Filzmoos.

Well not much happening here either. It's a wooded settlement, so not surprising to see a fletcher here. Probably a good place to hire poachers or hunters for the company when we can afford to bring in a few archers. But there is something amiss here. In the upper right hand there is the icon of a pair of fearful eyes. The villagers are afraid of something. While they're afraid they will be less likely to deal with strangers, ie. us, meaning the markets will have less goods available and what the do sell will be sold for a higher than normal price. So we wont be shopping here just yet. However they do have a job for us, and considering the village is scared it's a safe bet to guess that the contract will have something to do with fixing the situation.

Seems the village is spooked on some superstitious idea that the local cemetery is haunted. The village elder seems to know better than to believe in ghosts and hires us to clear out the cemetery of grave robbers. I attempt to negotiate the contract a little but the elder is having none of it and refuses to haggle with the reward so I settle for 430 crowns upon clearing out the cemetery and returning to Filzmoos. There's no real need to show all the intermediate steps in contracts so I hope people are comfortable with the initial offer and my summery of the deal.

Well the cemetery is just a little ways away. It wont take long to get to, just have to go around some hills and we'll be there before it gets dark.

When we get closer we have a chance to see what might be inside a location. Sometimes we can spot the defenders, and this time we can not. Well it's probably just some bandit thugs digging up graves like the elder said and not some sort of terrible spooky ghosts.

To battle!!

Battle at Filzmoos' cemetery

Wokow got in a little bit of trouble but the bandits weren't ale to stand up in a fight for very long. It's an important lesson in combat; always use the battle brother buddy system. Don't go out alone and get surrounded. I misread the turn order a bit and expected to have Hard Gay by his side before three enemies could surround him, but I managed to work my way out of that slight misstep. Enemies classified as Brigand Thugs like this are about the safest thing to fight. They often times lack threatening weapons, sometimes lack any head covering at all allowing for the occasional one shot kill, and almost never wear any kind of armor above 50 points of armor. Then on top of that they aren't very good fighters stat-wise either, and are likely comparable to my lovely sewer smelling recruits. ...nothing personal Sullat.

Returning from the graveyard we quickly collect our pay. No real words exchanged but the blood is still fresh on our weapons lets the elder know that the grave robbers have been put into graves themselves. Or they would be if we'd bothered to bury them. At least the town has settled down and that means the markets will be a little more favorable to us now.

The only things we managed to salvage off the grave robbers were a couple of shoddy weapons and a small handful of crowns. It may not have been much, but when the contract only pays 430 crowns finding another 80 on the side isn't bad. Later on we may be able to turn a profit selling the equipment of fallen foes. For now though this stuff is near worthless and we could use the buckler ourselves. Future recruits may one day be given a hand axe that belonged to one of those slain grave robbers and never know.

Our first few days have been full of new things and so it's about time to wrap it up. But before we close out today we had a lot of brothers level up after the cemetery fight so lets quickly talk about how that works. Each level means a couple of things, first off is that the brother will demand a couple crowns more per day each time they level up. It's nto much, when I say a couple, i mean a couple, two. Really daily wages aren't going to matter that much for people that start out charging so little. Next comes stat ups. Each time a brother levels we can improve 3 out of 8 of their stats. The picture here is taken from Mr. Yar leveling up.

Typically a stat will increase from 1 to 4 points a level. Some stats may grow more than 4 points a level, and a high star stat may grow more than the usual range. Here i have selected to increase Mr. Yar's ranged attack and ranged defense while waffling a while on what to spend the last selection choice on. I think I went with stamina. Almost everyone else received increases to their melee attack, melee defense, and stamina. Those are the three key stats that keep front liners alive. Sometime they may need resolve buffed up a bit so they don't panic, but otherwise with good rolls I always prioritize melee and stamina.

Lastly there is the skill tree. Every level up gives one skill point to pick on the tree.

It looks complicated at first but it's really simple. For our first level up all we get access to is the first row. Each level up will allow us picks from the next row down. The only requirements to picking a skill is being high enough level for it. The skill highlighted with the tool tip is student, and will be the first choice for every single battle brother I hire. It increases their exp gain so they level faster and if they reach level 11 they will gain an extra skill point, meaning that the first skill point to purchase student isn't wasted. It's kind of an investment skill, we'll have one less combat perk at first, but we'll be leveling faster and levels mean stat points as well as skill points so it's well worth it.

If you want to look ahead at all the skill choices possible you can take a look at this wiki page to get an idea of everything that will be available to us and what the other tier one choices were that I bypassed entirely.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 6, 2017

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
That first post went on a bit longer than I wanted, but i have not done a screen shot LP in loving ages. There's a lot of ground to cover already so I didn't want to make the first post a loving wall of text explaining everything at once. Let me know if a gloss over topics you want more thoroughly explained in the future. Also that said I tried to keep images to 800 pixels wide as a holdover from the last time I did a screenshot lp. I heard 1024 was acceptable now and if you guys don't mind I may post as wide as 1024 wide. Really the only thing that wide would be the town shots, and world map shots which are the full 1920 are going to stay thumbnailed.

In any case welcome to The Black Parade brothers!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I can't tell if Hard Gay or Sullat is the shittier brother.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
In the first video, I noticed you turned your nose up at a lot of pitchforks, even when thoroughly lacking shields, or giving people bludgeons and knives to hold. Any particular reason?

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I love hiring Beggars and finding Decent/Great star ratings. It really makes it feel like the plucky underdog from your average Hollywood flick who overcomes adversity to win the day... or in this case, to slaughter a bunch of bandit thugs

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Night10194 posted:

Ghouls, man. Elpato's got ghoul problems.

I feel bad for him, son. I got 99 problems but a lich aint one.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Tylana posted:

In the first video, I noticed you turned your nose up at a lot of pitchforks, even when thoroughly lacking shields, or giving people bludgeons and knives to hold. Any particular reason?

Pitchforks aren't really that bad, but at the start they tend to cost a few hundred crowns each and I couldn't afford that. Mostly though I don't want anyone with out good armor or defense skill walking around a battlefield with out a shield. Shields save lives. This kind of goes back to my defense first mentality that I showed in my Xcom LPs. Make sure my brothers have the highest chance to survive, then worry about killing the enemy. Once we get settled with enough money and men I won't be bypassing pitchforks... Or maybe i will but I won't be bypassing polearms. Polearms are great and I totally plan on having use for them.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It will be interesting to see how you handle certain encounters as the only way to survive is to give up on defense and focus entirely on trying to bring down the enemy before they can overwhelm you.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Hunt11 posted:

If you have watched the stream he has already went through another company and a half of brothers.

I figured that might have happened when I saw the title of "Death stream" on the youtubes.

Also oooh, new update!
What's a mercenary company without a few mis-steps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Whoa, whoa, don't tell him that! You just keep doing what you're doing, Jade.

let the bodies hit the floor
let the bodies hit the