Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Genocyber posted:

As I recall they added in Corvo in just because they could. His inclusion was a decision they made fairly late in development and is probably intended as a bonus mode more than anything else, which is why he doesn't fit into the narrative as well as Emily. And honestly, it's probably for the best they didn't try and change the narrative to make him more relevant.
The word coming from Harvey Smith is much more complicated than that.

What happened was they had about three different stories that were possible for Dishonored 2. One was another Corvo story, related to Bad Dudes finding Hot poo poo on Pandyssia and threatening the empire as a whole. Emily is still not really past the age of majority in that story and therefore they couldn't have possibly had her around.

Another was a distinct Emily story that occurred in her thirties, after Corvo had passed on, and had a lot to do with the Void. Delilah was not part of it and it had to do much more with a lot of the themes they talk about in the recent DLC; what happens when the Outsider's no more, etc. It had a very Lovecraftian overtone.

The third story was the one we got. Delilah's return and her subsequent bone to pick with Corvo and Emily. In the original story, both Corvo and Emily got away and worked together like bosses, and both had serious roles to play in the story - Emily getting a dose of reality on how things work, and Corvo having to deal with coming home. Naivete is the theme that ties the two of them together and accepting their mistakes is the ultimate climax. The overall new hot sequel take is that in Dishonored 1, the dishonor came from other people doing things to you, and what you did was all about taking it all back. In Dishonored 2, the dishonor comes from your own choices (albeit ones Corvo and Emily made before you had control of them) and what you did is all about atoning for that (or burying beneath a hundred bodies, as in high chaos).

The problem arose in that to really, really do that story justice, they would have had to make Dis2 a forced co-op game, or spend an immense amount of time designing partner AI - something that nobody at Arkane had any real experience in. So the call was made early on to write Corvo out since he'd had his game already. Late in development, Corvo was added back in as a choice when things started to come together and they realized that it would not be that much extra work to have him be part of the game. Corvo was a distinct part of the story from the beginning; any (imo, largely unjustified) feelings of him being 'tacked on' are simply due to the mechanical process of game creation than anything else. Nobody wanted to commit to more than they could deliver with the time and money they had.

Smith has emphatically said on Twitter that the idea of morons whining about having to play a girl never even entered his mind at any point during the development of Dis2.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
There are tons of interviews both pre and just-post release where people asked him about a wide array of things - I'd have to go hunting for a lot of that again since it was spread over rps, ign, answers to people on twitter, etc. I think he also did a reddit AMA? I was following the news pretty closely because one of the things that came out in the massive infodump was that my build is almost identical to Corvo's in terms of height, weight, and proportions, so I ended up being more interested in the little details pretty naturally. I don't remember specific sources for each point right now, I'll try to dig them up when I have a spare second though.

• Locked thread