Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Did it? Because I didn't watch the Kingohger movie before the finale and it seemed to me that the only thing I was missing was "the underworld is a place and this lady has the keys." The reanimated kings themselves even got focus episodes in the show.

The most baffling thing about Rinne getting depowered from the movie is that I assumed that's why she wasn't summoning Chemies, a thing she was shown to be capable of and actually really resourceful with, but then she did, so she just... wasn't for that entire stretch of episodes. It wasn't even a plot point, she was just written to be useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Gotchard is decent overall. It's been better recently than it was in the earlier episodes, but I'd still hesitate to call it good.

Caphi posted:

Did it? Because I didn't watch the Kingohger movie before the finale and it seemed to me that the only thing I was missing was "the underworld is a place and this lady has the keys." The reanimated kings themselves even got focus episodes in the show.

The most baffling thing about Rinne getting depowered from the movie is that I assumed that's why she wasn't summoning Chemies, a thing she was shown to be capable of and actually really resourceful with, but then she did, so she just... wasn't for that entire stretch of episodes. It wasn't even a plot point, she was just written to be useless.

They explained it as her being out of mana or something, then put a lot of effort into showing her charging her ring in the future. I vaguely recall her being unable to transform because she didn't have energy again after that string of episodes, but only once.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

King of Solomon posted:

They explained it as her being out of mana or something, then put a lot of effort into showing her charging her ring in the future. I vaguely recall her being unable to transform because she didn't have energy again after that string of episodes, but only once.

During the Renge's grandmother's village episodes, yeah, she's suddenly out of mana again so Hotaro can take care of everything. Next string of episodes, she tosses all her character development out of the window for a petty love grudge, to the point that Atropos outright calls her out on it. It's a very low period (again) for a character that has never gotten to actually shine in the show in spite of being the second Rider.

The out of mana stuff is insane too, we have a bunch of magic Riders in the show, none of which have that issue except her.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Rinne was better without Majade tbqh. When she was committed to a support role, she did it all right - once in a while she'd bind enemies, protect herself and the victims, and generally use spells creatively and take care of the poo poo Hotaro is explicitly too stupid innocent and honest for. Majade just marks time and jobs.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
Yeah but you can't be an interesting up front character in a modern Kamen Rider show unless they give you a belt. It goes up some Bandai executive's rear end if you've got screen time and can't serve as a living billboard for the toys your show is a commercial for. Unfortunately, once you get the belt, you have to compete with the protagonist and at that point they won't let you be interesting anymore since that's the guy the show is named after so he's gotta be the most important.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
She's also degraded outside the suit scenes. I almost feel bad ragging on how she used to just sulk about her dad and get trolled by Atropos until Hotaro ran in screaming to advance the "plot," because even that's all gone. Her dad's back, she has nothing to follow up on except hanging out at Hotaro's restaurant, and she hasn't even talked to Atropos since her first in-show morph (though I am a few episodes behind).

I compared Gotchard to Ghost but even Makoto, when he got hollowed out, still had his one terrible joke to pass for a personality. Rinne is an empty suit. If I was much more cynical I'd say she's there to tick the "first female secondary Rider" box.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Makoto also like...got to be a real threat with some weight behind his character and appearances even if it fizzled out.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

That's as simple as them wanting the movie to have something important in it. It wasn't someone's first fight scene but the Kingohger movie also had stuff that really mattered to the story I believe.

It was only important in the finale. Mostly as a "how are these people back" and "who is this?" Same with the Racles specials

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Caphi posted:

She's also degraded outside the suit scenes. I almost feel bad ragging on how she used to just sulk about her dad and get trolled by Atropos until Hotaro ran in screaming to advance the "plot," because even that's all gone. Her dad's back, she has nothing to follow up on except hanging out at Hotaro's restaurant, and she hasn't even talked to Atropos since her first in-show morph (though I am a few episodes behind).

I compared Gotchard to Ghost but even Makoto, when he got hollowed out, still had his one terrible joke to pass for a personality. Rinne is an empty suit. If I was much more cynical I'd say she's there to tick the "first female secondary Rider" box.

her dad isn't even back really, he turned up for two eps and left and still hasn't turned up again .

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Trogglodyte posted:

Yeah but you can't be an interesting up front character in a modern Kamen Rider show unless they give you a belt. It goes up some Bandai executive's rear end if you've got screen time and can't serve as a living billboard for the toys your show is a commercial for. Unfortunately, once you get the belt, you have to compete with the protagonist and at that point they won't let you be interesting anymore since that's the guy the show is named after so he's gotta be the most important.

Yeah, when Suparna didn't have a belt he actually got to be on the show most of the time.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New Ultraman Arc character revealed (voiced by Yuta from Gridman ironically enough)

https://tsuburaya-prod.com/news/7234

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I’m not the biggest fan of robo mascots in Ultra series but I have to say that the design on that one is nice at least.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sevenger was the best recent robot mascot

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That bunch of magazines came in.

Mix of newsprint and magazine print quality. Great costumes tho.

drat there were so many weird not-ultramen.

I think this one might have been for kids though, printed on thick cardboard haha

Good stuff. This one's actually a vintage 1986 mag.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 27, 2024

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Synthbuttrange posted:

Sevenger was the best recent robot mascot

Sevenger wasn’t a mascot, but a HERO OF THE PEOPLE! ☭ :hai:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oh man those cardboard books were great- I had a bunch when I was a kid from shows like Lion Maru, Barom-1, Henshin Ninja Arashi, and others.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well that clears things up about Taiya but now I kind of want Shirabe to become a ranger herself one day

Even her full name kind of fits the team motif (move some sounds around and you get “side brake”)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 28, 2024

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Looks like the Booners are getting new civvy outfits in the second arc of the show.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Man I like those jackets.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
i love it when sentai teams have nice jackets

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also the Gotchard/Geats crossover is out and subbed now should anyone have any interest in seeing Majade’s proper Introduction

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Also the Gotchard/Geats crossover is out and subbed now should anyone have any interest in seeing Majade’s proper Introduction

It's out and it's about as good as you'd expect from a Gotchard movie, so not very. The Geats cast other than Ace feel completely superfluous, and Ace goes right back to his early characterization while ignoring his development until the very end. The Level 10 Chemies are rushed through and are more gags than anything, though Neon reacting to EXceedFighter and their shared origin was nice. Hotaro is not only bland, he's also weirdly aggressive throughout the movie. And Rinne turning into Majade is a cool moment but she's still sidelined for the final battle because she just can't win.

Ace's moment with his pet nearly got me to cry though, very strong scene but it doesn't make up for the rest of the movie.

What's also out is the King-Ohger movie and it's absolutely excellent. Very much worth the watch, wish I could have watched it on the right part of the show, but honestly the amount of stuff it foreshadows feels even funny to watch knowing it in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, Majade’s debut was kind of cool but otherwise like most things Gotchard related that movie was not worth the wait (even the Geats stuff was kind of meh aside from maybe Neon sympathizing with the Chemy as a fellow artificial life form and the aforementioned Ace scene)

Speaking of Gotchard, the most recent episode having a power representative from all three Rider eras (four if you want to consider “Neo Heisei” as a thing) was a nice touch if nothing else. Show still hasn’t gone above “watchable” to me though and at this point probably never will

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 1, 2024