Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

And Kamen Rider Ghost's Sunglassslasher, but the sunglasses are Ultraseven's Ultra Eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New trailer for the King-Ohger crossovers:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=OCy6Ahg2zjY

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Larryb posted:

I also like that they’ve gone back to using practical sets and locations (I loved King-Ohger but almost the entire show was green screened)

Even when its clearly a bunch of explosion canisters tucked safely away from the actors, real pyro always beats green screen pyro. And today I just learned about the practical limitations of green screen which helped me understand why it bugged me so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQuIVsNzqDk

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

That was an incredibly cool video, thanks for sharing

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
yeah the science at play there is so obvious once you hear it, wtf. we apparently have lost years worth of productivity by doing it wrong as hell? the better results in less time method was just that easy? feels like there's gotta be something I'm missing here.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

green screen is How It's Done and what everyone is used to now so they dont change it

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

coconono posted:

Even when its clearly a bunch of explosion canisters tucked safely away from the actors, real pyro always beats green screen pyro. And today I just learned about the practical limitations of green screen which helped me understand why it bugged me so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQuIVsNzqDk
First I've ever head of the Sodium vapor process and this is really fascinating.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Happy 50th Anniversary of Ultraman Leo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQjESUCx6-Q

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

coconono posted:

Even when its clearly a bunch of explosion canisters tucked safely away from the actors, real pyro always beats green screen pyro.

I do think one type of pyro they'll keep not using for all sorts of reasons is the ones that get put on suits and weapons when someone gets blasted and honestly, it's fair that they're not doing that as a practical effect anymore.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

I do think one type of pyro they'll keep not using for all sorts of reasons is the ones that get put on suits and weapons when someone gets blasted and honestly, it's fair that they're not doing that as a practical effect anymore.

How long ago did they stop using those anyway (I assume that’s why some of the older teams would spark when they get hit with a big attack)?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

on the one hand this is actually a pretty solid translation of the Japanese term “クレイム” (or “claimer”), but on the other hand Kusaka too faux-intellectual to use a slang term like that even putting aside age

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

How long ago did they stop using those anyway (I assume that’s why some of the older teams would spark when they get hit with a big attack)?

I think they were still using them not less than a decade ago I think.

And yeah, that "spark" is real pyrotechnics that are applied to the suit (no face actors or characters) or weapons. On rare occasion, it's possible to see some of the damage and scarring from those pyrotechnics because there wasn't an opportunity to switch out the suit. That was just part of normal wear and tear.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

I think they were still using them not less than a decade ago I think.

And yeah, that "spark" is real pyrotechnics that are applied to the suit (no face actors or characters) or weapons. On rare occasion, it's possible to see some of the damage and scarring from those pyrotechnics because there wasn't an opportunity to switch out the suit. That was just part of normal wear and tear.

Eesh, how well protected were the stuntmen inside the suits during this?

Speaking of pyrotechnics, how does it work behind the scenes when a monster explodes (I assume they pause to get the actor out of the shot first after they fall down, trigger the effect and then edit it together)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 14, 2024

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek6oMrQOdoQ

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Xelkelvos posted:

The lack of this effect, particularly on mechs and monsters, is often what keeps A-rank moments from reaching S-rank to me.

But I suppose Rider has made me accustomed to seeing less of it, as it's not that common on the more hard plastic armor.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 15, 2024

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I just like seeing stuff blow up

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Boonboomger got an actual laugh out of me with the monster of the week “attacking” civilians

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SgtSteel91 posted:

Boonboomger got an actual laugh out of me with the monster of the week “attacking” civilians

Blocking mothers from getting to their children was a pretty big deal but other than that there was a lot of pettiness to this monster and it was pretty funny.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's a foundational silliness. They're not trying to take over the world (at this stage anyway) or attack anything in particular, they just literally want to stress people out because that's how you get GAHsoline.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Blocking mothers from getting to their children was a pretty big deal but other than that there was a lot of pettiness to this monster and it was pretty funny.

Walling off the lunches with little one-sided walls was what got me

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1782111194624750033

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Holy fuckin poo poo it's ROBOCOP

I'd seen this a long time ago when I was a child basically. We used to get imported chewing gum packets with Japanese toku characters printed on them and they had little leaflets too. Once there was a set with Jiban on it! I couldnt read Japanese so I didnt know what this was, all I knew was this was basically the most advanced, detailed toku suit I'd ever seen. And now I know where he's from and who he is!

edit:

welp went nuts and ran to surugaya and put in an order for a bunch of books because they were so cheap

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 22, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Go-Onger crossover confirmed (or at the very least Sosuke’s going to appear):

https://twitter.com/TheRealMattHunt/status/1782789350922596500

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 23, 2024

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Boonboom is pretty decent but the robot design is such a letdown. The mascot gets some combination of gloves and a hat, yay. Where’s the engineering? Where’s the insane G12 combination? They’ve got all of those cars and they can only ever use two or three at a time. Same problem as Lupin vs Pat and Good Striker making up 90% of the robots. It just feels lazy.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's all focused on the transformation process of driving the smaller cars through the gate of the truck to activate their automorph. After the posing focus of Don Onitaijin and King-Ohger it feels... Uh, bad.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It was never going to live up to how amazing King-Ohger was, with cars being so boring in comparison to bugs, but it's also pretty boring in how it's formed, yeah. At least it gets fun fights that are far less CGI-reliant and as a character I enjoy Boondorio.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Taiya's whole dream of entering a GP is odd but they did say early on that fighting wasn't the team's only goal, curious where the series goes from there though (current info suggests the Sixth is going to be a rival character and as mentioned in the above scan we've got a Go-Onger crossover and an evil Boon clone coming up as well)

It does sort of make Taiya look like an rear end in a top hat though but I assume this week’s episode will clarify things a bit more

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 24, 2024

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I'm really hoping that the series takes a different approach, like maybe focusing on the racing aspect, because the way things are right now, the series is kind of unremarkable. It's not bad and I'm enjoying bits of it, but after King Ohger (and Donbrothers and Zenkaiger before it), a decent-by-the-numbers series just won't cut it for me anymore.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So far it seems like a cross between Go-Onger and Carranger (they even brought back traffic safety messages at the end of every episode), which isn’t necessarily a bad thing but yeah, I’m hoping they change things up a bit soon as well

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Been working through Shout! Factory's recent Classic Tokusatsu Collection release and I need to urge people to check out The Golden Bat (1966) and Watari, the Ninja Boy (1966). Golden Bat immediately sounded interesting to me and was, but Watari, who's main character is a child, completely caught me by surprise. While it certainly is kid-oriented there is something to enjoy for people of all ages. It's full of a sort of unhinged energy but manages to be relatively coherent. Saw someone describe it as if Hausu was a ninja film and I think that's a pretty good description.

Forgot to mention Ninja Scope (1969) which wasn't amazing and made me feel silly because it prompts you to put on your ninja mask throughout the film and I didn't have a ninja mask. :(

CRAYON fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 24, 2024

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

So far it seems like a cross between Go-Onger and Carranger (they even brought back traffic safety messages at the end of every episode), which isn’t necessarily a bad thing but yeah, I’m hoping they change things up a bit soon as well

Honestly, a well executed return to classic form is refreshing in its own way and I don't mind it being a bit by-the-numbers on the overarching plot if the individual episodes and character plots are good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is everybody still not very impressed with Gotchard?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eh, it's watchable but that's about it in my opinion (it's not even bad in an interesting way like Saber was, it's just kind of there)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gotchard is one of the more forgettable seasons. its functional but it feels very much like just a series that exists to fill the yearly kamen rider requirement rather than something where there was a super strong idea and a passionate staff. like not that theyre phoning it in, cranking these things out has gotta be hard and i respect the work, but it rarely feels like they were going above and beyond yknow.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I still need to catch up on most of it, but it has some dope-rear end standby loops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0Z4G8LSoNk

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Gotchard isn't very impressive on most fronts but there's evidently some confidence behind the scenes in expanding women's roles in Rider. Not just Rinne, but also the Abysallis Sisters and Renge and Spanner's mentor. Strong supporting cast and some fun monsters of the week are showing up a kind of insubstantial main plot.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Gotchard is just a very boring show with very boring leads and very boring antagonists. There's little to talk about, it's not terrible enough to be funny, it's just consistently mediocre with rare moments of brilliance that never last.

At least we get Kaguya next week. Discount Decade is still a big improvement over this awful cast.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Gotchard is mid in the actual definition of the word. Just middling, average, boring. It's.....fine. it's got a larger lady cast but I don't think they're half as interesting or used as well The Revice Ladies for example.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 25, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Debuting Rinne’s Rider form in a movie still feels weird to me too. I will admit the show’s picked up a little since it first started but mostly I’m just waiting for it to be over at this point, hopefully whatever’s next will be more interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That's as simple as them wanting the movie to have something important in it. It wasn't someone's first fight scene but the Kingohger movie also had stuff that really mattered to the story I believe.