Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

MrChips posted:

Now that your new engine is homologated, each new variant will cost 25 revision points each, taken from the new engine's pool of revision points. That said, you don't exactly have that at the moment...:v:

I might by the last week! Seriously though I'm about out of ideas for the current engine family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Dance Officer posted:

I checked all my positions and points for all races. Most of them are correct but the ones I listed are obviously wrong.

At the very least, the scorecard consistenly assigns the right scores for the position it assigns you(if you placed 6th but got listed for 9th it assigns points for 9th)

Well, half right is still technically wrong...:v:

I think I'm going to go have to go back and manually rescore all the races...I mean if yours have errors, there are others without a doubt. Unfortunately today's results are already done, so if there are any mistakes it will have to wait until tomorrow's race to be corrected.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I just checked the scorecard vs the Group A results for Daytona. I count 6 position errors in total.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

ON FIRE - CVR Wins Overall As Flamarbol Builds Momentum At Silverstone

SILVERSTONE - Flamarbol made it three for three at the Silverstone 6 Hours this afternoon, winning Group A for a third race in a row ahead of rivals EMS, who were finally able to run their new engine in the Salope Sprint after difficulties in testing before the Spa race. Scuderia La Moore rounded out the top five in Group A, the #92 570 Brisbanello just edging out the #33 DttC GrA by only a handful of seconds. Perhaps denying fans an even more exciting battle for position, La Moore lost the other 570 Brisbanello to engine failure in the first hour, while the second DttC crashed heavily just after the halfway mark, avoiding a backmarker going into Bridge Chicane. Rounding out the top ten in Group A was the #86 KRG, the #15 PADB and both CVRs, their car struggling with the rapidly changing track temperatures and ultimately failing to make good on their promise of a good race in front of their home crowd.

The race was marred by a very large first-lap shunt, when the #4 CVR Typhon and the #78 EMS Salope Gran Vitesse collided going for the same piece of racetrack, sending both cars spearing off the track and into the garage for repairs, but not before collecting the #7 Flamarbol Group C, the #44 DttC Group B and the #61 CVR and #87 KRG Group A cars in the carnage. The CVR was lucky enough to escape relatively unscathed, but the other five cars needed extensive repairs in order to continue their races. Adding to their misery, the #78 EMS went out in the last hour of the race with an engine failure directly connected with the first-lap shunt.

In Group B, EMS continued their scintillating run of results, the #81 Salope Cyclone dominating the field to finish a full three laps up on the third- and fourth-place Flamarbol Catalinas. DttC ran a solid recovery drive, slicing and dicing with the two CVRs and both KRGs all race long, producing some spectacularly close racing in the process. At one point after a round of pit stops the DttC, on fresh tires, dive-bombed both CVRs in a moment of inattention as they battled for position prior to their own stops. La Moore ran a strong race, shaking off a string of disappointing results after Daytona, as well as NEMW, who ran to twelfth and thirteenth place in class.

In Group C, the ironclad grip of the CVRs was broken, as the #65 EMS ran a brilliant race to take the chequered flag, just fifteen seconds ahead of the #55 DttC following a spectacular battle between the two cars. CVR struggled for pace here, with the #83 Geryon Colossus taking third place, while the #84 finished the race in the garage, fifteenth in class after an engine failure stopped the car in the fifth hour. La Moore and NEMW ran a hard, close race with one another; at no point did either team let the other out of each other's sights, though in the end the two La Moores prevailed, taking fourth and fifth in class.

CVR continued their run of wins in the Prototype class, with the sole remaining EMS taking second and the #992 NEMW Neponset taking the team's first podium finish of the season, with the #993 following close behind in fourth place.

Top Fives:

Race Results:

Season Standings (click for bigger):

Revision Points:

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
That's much better bring on the fast, flowing circuits! :black101:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I'm just hoping my gamble with the prototype pays off - what French team could resist putting all their money on LeMans?

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

mekilljoydammit posted:

I'm just hoping my gamble with the prototype pays off - what French team could resist putting all their money on LeMans?

Always bet on le bleu.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Ugh my lovely luck continues in group C. I've lost 6 cars in 7 races when the whole idea behind the entry was to go for reliability.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
This week is going to be difficult for KRG, i don't think we have quite the pace on the really fast tracks

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Autosport Weekly posted:

The first revision for the Equipe Mardre Sport squad had a variety of changes, most of them invisible under the skin. One of them was obvious to anyone with ears to listen, however.

"Once again, we had to face the data - the Sprint was not competitive," Gérard Duchesne admitted. "The MFR version of the V8 could not make the power - even in that form it was too highly strung. We didn't have the resources for a full ground up design but... well... it happens there was an airport tug in the Mardre Aerospace portion of the factory that we could quickly re-cast the block of in light alloy, and retaining that layout and the original crankshaft allowed us to cut design time significantly. New cylinder heads and pistons yes, and we actually had to use individual throttle bodies to make it fit into the engine compartment, but it does fit. So we went from a thoroughbred based 3.9 liter flat crank V8 to a 6 liter V6 based off of a piece of industrial equipment..." Duchesne trailed off and shrugged helplessly. "But power is up significantly and we can now compete on lap times."

Asked about the apparent lack of pace for the Salope Gran Vitesse, Duchesne smiled. "We are trying something with the prototype this revision cycle... it is a calculated sacrifice of the slower tracks in favor of La Sarthe. We will see if we can fly the Tricolore after the 24 hours."

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

TEMPERATURE RISING - Tempers Flare On-Track at Brands Hatch

SWANLEY - The eighth round of the SASC Championship saw tempers flare at Brands Hatch today, as cars clashed and drivers stepped on each other's toes all race long on the crowded GP circuit. Even before the race, the drivers expressed their concern over the potential crowding issues that 72 cars could present, considering Brands is one of the shortest layouts of the entire series. These concerns seemed to have grounds right from the get-go, as yet another massive first-lap shunt following the #66 EMS Group C car missing a shift on the rolling start ended the race for the #58 EMS Group A and the #12 Flamarbol Group B cars, and caught the #81 EMS, the #45 DttC, the #63 CVR, the #257 Automurdermotive Group B cars, as well as the #17 LATOY Group A car. As the cars returned to the garages for repair, angry glances were thrown up and down the pit lane, and there was an angry confrontation between the EMS drivers, the lead driver of the #58 Salope Sprint shouting and waving his finger right in the face of the driver of the #66 Group C car. Once the carnage was cleared off the track, the race resumed, with the two CVR Typhons pulling away from the field steadily, ultimately winning the race by nine laps over the #77 EMS Salope Gran Vitesse, with the #993 NEMW Neponset following behind in fourth.

CVR returned to the top step in Group C, with the #84 Geryon Colossus taking that car's third victory of the season after the #83 bowed out of the class lead following an electrical issue, necessitating a lengthy visit to the garage in the first hour. DttC showed good pace all day long, edging out the #7 Flamarbol and both Scuderia La Moore F1s for second and third place, the Dutch team's best finish in class to date. The #8 Catalina C, in the midst of a tremendous fight with the both the DttCs, was forced to bow out of the race in the last hour with an engine failure, finishing the race in the garage having completed enough laps for thirteenth place. EMS, the only team other than CVR to have won in Group C, was nowhere to be found following the #66's first-lap accident, and with the #65 felled by a turbocharger issue just before the halfway mark. After a lengthy repair, the #65 rejoined the race, though it was more of a test session for them as they were no longer classified. NEMW surprisingly showed good pace on this tight and winding track, finishing seventh in class, well ahead of the #83 CVR and the #27 LATOY.

In Group B, EMS' run of incredible luck came to an end, with the #81 caught up in the first-lap shunt, and the #80 crashing hard in a hair-raising accident on Lap 200, that car's rear wing having failed going into Paddock Hill bend The team was able to limp the stricken car back to the garage, but almost an hour's worth of repairs effectively ended their race then and there. In an eerily similar incident just nine laps later, the #81, having regained the class lead, speared off the track in exactly the same spot, though it was luckily able to avoid serious damage. As such, Flamarbol took top honours in the class, cruising easily to victory ahead of the #81 EMS and the third-place #44 DttC. CVR followed two laps behind the DttC, itself followed by the teams who arguably benefitted the most from the first-lap smash-up; the two KRG Altjezzas, who scored enough points to afford the team some breathing room over DttC in the Constructor Standings, and Hurricane, who matched a season-best result to finish seventh and eighth, leaping ahead of Automurdermotive in the standings, and closing the gap considerably to Scuderia La Moore, only seventeen points ahead, that team squandering an opportunity to make up ground on their rivals with a ninth-place finish for the #88 La Moore Sport, the #89 expiring in the fourth hour due to engine failure. Westward set a season-best finish, the #75 rounding out the top ten, and the #74 finishing close behind, having pulled all the elements together to run an inspired race.

EMS took top honours in Group A, making them only the second team with multiple race wins in the class, though the early retirement of the #58 Salope Sprint meant the effort went largely to waste, as all three teams ahead of them in the standings, KRG, DttC and CVR, all widened their lead over the French team. Flamarbol was largely in the same position as EMS, with the #21 Catalina A finishing second after the #20 retired with engine failure early in the race. DttC cruised easily to the team's fourth podium finish of the season, a full lap ahead of both CVRs and both KRGs, whose pit strategies ultimately decided the race, with CVR opting to stick to the hard tire all race long, while KRG only switched as the temperatures rose in the early afternoon. PADB and La Moore provided the dramatic finish that everyone had hoped for today, as the #16 Perun sped past the #91 570 Brisbanello with only a handful of laps remaining, the Brisbanello running old, worn tires while the Perun was on newer, fresher rubber.

Top Fives:

Race Results:

Revision Points:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Finally had the time to sit down and revise my cars. I was never happy with the Group B and C entries so hopefully they'll be a little more competitive now. My Group A car seemed fast enough but not reliable enough.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

RULE BRITANNIA - CVR Shines At Le Mans

LE MANS - CVR put on a dominant show at the Le Mans 24 Hours today, with podium finishes in all four classes, winning three of them outright. CVR's team principal was jubilant after the race, stating that "this was the plan all along - we optimised all of our cars for this race, and this race alone.", taking a swig of cider and wiping his mouth on the Tricolore that was presented to the team after their wins.

The #4 CVR Typhon was the first car to cross the line at 4 o'clock, having covered 356 laps in 24 hours, averaging 202.164 kilometres per hour over the duration of the race. the #3 Typhon was not far behind in second overall, with both EMS Salope Gran Vitesses five laps behind in third and fourth. NEMW rounded out the top five in the Prototype class, the #992 stopped in the garage after an engine failure in the twenty-first hour.

In Group C, the #83 CVR took top honours, having inherited the class lead from their teammates in the #84 car following an accident in the early hours of the morning. In spite of a twenty-three minute stop for repairs, the #84 posted an admirable recovery drive, finishing fourth in class. DttC finished second, four laps behind the CVR, duking it out in a ferocious battle with the #66 EMS Salope Superbe, who ended up only half a lap behind in third place. This was considered by many to be a very risky undertaking, as both EMS and DttC lost a car each to accidents over the course of the race - another accident for either would end in a costly double DNF in a quadruple-points race. The #90 La Moore F1 finished in fifth place after a challenging race, their teammates in the #91 car retiring after an engine failure in the first hour, and the two LATOYs rounded out the last of the running cars in the class, with nine retirements out of sixteen entries.

In spite of their bitter disappointment not winning overall, EMS was able to delight the contingent of French fans by dominating Group B once again, taking the top step of the podium, having finished two laps ahead of the two CVRs. The team raced "on eggshells for eighteen hours", after the #80 Salope Cyclone retired in the sixth hour with a terminal engine issue, trying desperately to balance the need to finish versus the need to outpace their British rivals, breathing down their necks the whole race. La Moore finished fourth and fifth, the fifth-place #88 La Moore Sport stopping in the third hour to change brake pads; a common theme with some of the heavier entries in the series at this race. KRG finished sixth, an unexpectedly good result for the team, who in a statement earlier in the week had effectively written off this second leg of the championship on account of the high-downforce, low-top speed nature of both the Group B Altjezzas as well as the Group A Origamis. DttC ran a steady, uneventful race in Group B, finishing seventh and eighth, ahead of NEMW, who notched up a surprise ninth-place finish with the #997 Penobscot GTX. Hurricane finished in tenth and eleventh place, making ground on their rivals in the standings after a clean race. Flamarbol, having made a dramatic recovery in the last three races, was plagued with reliability problems in Group B, with the team notching up only a fourteenth-place finish with the #12 Catalina B, stopped in the garage with an engine failure, having completed the requisite seventy percent of the class leader's race distance. The #11 Catalina B crashed out in the early hours of the morning during a brief rain shower, localised over one part of the track only, and not enough rain to force the teams to switch from slick tires.

Perhaps most improbable of all, the #61 CVR Geryon won the team's first Group A race, stunning the assembled crowd that such an unorthodox race car could post such a result. Not that it was an easy race for the team by any measure, as the #62 expired in a cloud of smoke on the run between Mulsanne and Indianapolis just at first light. It then became a matter of balancing pace versus preserving the car, with the situation becoming increasingly fraught as the hours wound down and as the #20 Flamarbol, the sole remaining Catalina A, reeling in the CVR with each lap. EMS rounded out the podium, finishing in third ahead of the #91 La Moore 570 Brisbanello after back-and-forth battle between the two cars, also complicated by the fact that both teams lost a car before the halfway mark of the race. KRG and PADB had the crowd on their feet for the last laps of the race, the battle for fifth through ninth coming down to mere seconds between the cars after a full day of racing. KRG ultimately prevailed after a mistake by the #15 PADB sent the car spinning off the track, both KRGs and the sister #16 car roaring past the temporarily beached Perun to take the chequered flag. FISH and Westward surprised everyone, with the #2 Loes coming in tenth, their best finish of the season, and the #47 MX Type S finishing eleventh in class. DttC received a blow in this race, with both of their cars retiring before the halfway point of the race, putting them on the defensive for the title fight in the last half of the season. In spite of the poor result, the fact that all of the teams ahead of them in the Constructor Standings either finished poorly or lost a car (with the exception of leaders KRG) deadened the blow of the double DNF.

With one more race left in the first half of the season, at the blisteringly fast Hockenheimring, all of the teams are looking forward to a break in the action, to go back to their factories and workshops and revise their entries for what is shaping up to be an exciting second half of the Championship.

Top Fives:

Race Results:

Revision Points:

MrChips fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 21, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

drat.

Ok new strategy time...

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Probably time to make a change or two to my entries

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I think I have my prototype and C cars fixed... here's hoping I have the revision points for it.

... and maybe I should try to get more pace out of the B if I have some spare time.

With the benefit of hindsight I wish I'd done things differently a bit... I threw together a couple engine families for testing on the prototype and got down to 1:53.5ish on the ATT with good reliability and a legal engine. And using the same body for all the GT entries is a cool idea, but it means that the C car simply can't fit that wide of tires... I made a turbo trim of the big V6 and was up 100hp or something over its current engine, but it just didn't translate into lap time.

Lessons learned for next time.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Gold.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

The other entries did not do so well, but lets not advertise that.

mekilljoydammit posted:

I made a turbo trim of the big V6 and was up 100hp or something over its current engine, but it just didn't translate into lap time.

I've also had a really hard time translating power from turbo's into lap time. I'm not completely sure what causes it, but it seems automation shifts into rpm's where the turbo isn't active on the upshift, which causes turbo lag. I've not yet found a way to deal with it.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Dance Officer posted:

I've also had a really hard time translating power from turbo's into lap time. I'm not completely sure what causes it, but it seems automation shifts into rpm's where the turbo isn't active on the upshift, which causes turbo lag. I've not yet found a way to deal with it.

It's slightly weirder than that - between my existing C car which is a 4L(ish) TT V8 and the experimental trim using a 6L TT V6, the added power of the 6 didn't gain me anything. But between bigger fuel/points burning versions for the prototype, the difference in lap time was gigantic.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Dance Officer posted:

Playing to one's strengths, however limited they might be :P

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

RED HOT - La Moore Takes First Win At Steamy Hockenheim

HOCKENHEIM - Scuderia La Moore dazzled the assembled crowd this afternoon with a brilliant race, taking the team's first win of the season. Finishing a full lap ahead of third-place CVR, both La Moores went wire-to-wire in a dominant performance under unusually hot and humid weather, with temperatures exceeding 30 degrees Celsius by mid-race. La Moore credits the 570 Brisbanello's ability to run an addtional stint on a set of tires here compared to their rivals, having run the race on two sets of tires compared to three or even four for much of the rest of Group A. CVR also showed well this afternoon, finishing third and fourth in class, largely by their ability to run a seven-stop strategy as opposed to fifth and sixth-place EMS, whose car necessitated an eight-stop strategy, ultimately costing them a podium finish. The same could be said for PADB, who set the fastest lap of the day in Group A at 2:16.337 but was held back on account of the car's series-mandated restricted fuel cell; in the end, the team finished a respectable seventh and eighth, trading places with CVR, EMS as well as the KRGs, who managed to pull off a ninth and eleventh place finish against all odds, and the two DttCs, who shook off a disastrous showing at Le Mans and ended up tenth and twelfth in class. Flamarbol, after a string of good results marred by reliability issues, got caught up in an accident on the fifteenth lap, when the #20 Catalina A got squeezed trying to pass the #91 La Moore for the race lead, damaging the car and sending it to the garage for a lengthy repair. The #21 Catalina suffered an engine failure halfway through the race, forcing the Australian team to make do with thirteenth place in the end. With the mid-season break coming up, Flamarbol is intent on making good use of their time to not only improve the pace of the Catalinas, but also address the nagging reliability issues that have plagued the team from the first race of the season.

EMS continued their stellar season in Group B, winning their ninth race of the season and scoring their seventh 1-2 finish in class, just ahead of the hard-charging #12 Flamarbol Catalina. The battle following the podium finishers was especially heated today, with La Moore, CVR, KRG and DttC running virtually door-to-door all race long; in the end, less than a minute separated the #89 La Moore Sport in fourth place from the tenth-place #44 DttC GrB, which ran strong for the first four hours of the race, but a nagging issue with the gear lever forced the team to bring the car in for a hasty repair, costing the team the fourth-place finish they so desperately fought for. KRG also suffered the misfortunes of racing, as the #97 Altjezza was forced off the track on the first lap as their sister #96 car went three-wide to try and pass the #64 CVR into the first chicane, a very bold move that really had nowhere to end but disaster for one or more of the three cars vying for enough space for one of them. This accident was to have repercussions too, as the #998 NEMW Group A car got caught out by the field bunching up, the driver forced to spin the car in order to avoid a potentially race-ending accident. As the race resumed, the #84 CVR Group C car found a piece of debris left over on the track, puncturing and ultimately blowing out a tire through the Stadium section of the track, forcing the team to perform some improvised body work on the stricken machine.

In spite of this setback, CVR continued their dominance of Group C, taking the top two spots for the third time this season, winning their ninth race to boot. The team did not go totally unchallenged, however, as the two DttCs were never far behind at any point, finishing third and fourth and giving the #84 CVR a very difficult time indeed for second place. The #65 EMS Salope Superbe came fifth, the car haggard and blowing a considerable amount of blue smoke out of the exhausts following a wild race between them and both Flamarbols and both La Moores, having fought wheel-to-wheel, less their teammates after the fourth hour, for the entire race. Indeed, the #65 was unable to complete their in-lap, the car having succumbed to an engine failure part of the way around the track. NEMW was able to make a run for it as well, their cars able to match pace with the class leaders by and large, finishing in tenth and eleventh place in class. NEMW also managed their first podium finish of the season in the Prototype category, finishing in third place overall behind both CVRs and handily beating both EMS Salope GVs, that team well of the pace in their low-downforce, high-speed configuration intended for Le Mans.

Top Fives:

Race Results:

Revision Points:

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Aw come on Altjezzas, you weight 1.3 tons if you're going to play Turn One Hero do it properly :argh:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

All right, put in my new revisions... I'll have to do a press release about it, but time to get serious.

(I don't know that there's enough points to take away PC but by god I'm going to try to make CVR work for it!) ;)

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Autosport Weekly posted:

... meanwhile in SASC, celebrating their maiden win in racing the Brisbanello junior driver design team set the paddock alright, starting with the number 92 car laying down what can only be described as a 'lusciously long' tyre frying burnout. The chaos continued in the paddock, with drunk celebrating La Moore and EMS staff invading CVR catering to investigate rumours of hidden stores of larger and champers.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Well poo poo. Muira Puama looks like it was just out-advertised, and by someone whose cars are even actually good.

Here's hoping my revisions to the Superbug will at least give me that leg to stand on!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

What, you think the lads down at CVR are a bunch of poncey continental types, drinking champagne? Nah, the boys drink cider and bitter, like and good Northern yobbos should!

CVR - I Swear On Me Mum I'll Fookin' End Yah®

Dance Officer posted:

Turbocharged engines are kind of counter-intuitive to tune properly; depending on how you tune them, they can either game the car designer in-game, or they can be a huge hindrance. Ideally, you want to tune the turbocharger to make as wide and flat a torque curve as possible, which minimises the driveability penalty associated with turbo engines as they are in the game. Basically this means starting with an engine in a relatively modest state of tune - in addition to low (about 8:1) compression ratios, turbo engines seem to like cam settings between 40 and 70, and not much more ignition advance than 60-70. If that's not possible, then longer, more closely spaced gearing can help keep the car in its relatively limited power band, at the expense of 0-100 time of course.

Compressor and turbine sizes need to be made accordingly; sizing one or the other too large reduces efficiency and delays boost (which is bad), but too small and you're not making the most of your situation either, and you can start to run out of boost at the high end of the RPM range. Ideally, you want to tune the engine to produce your desired level of boost for as long as possible, and it's always better to produce less boost over a wide range rather than a lot of boost over a very small range. The sort of power band you're looking for should look something like this:

This also works, but it is less ideal:

(B the way these are both from an design I made with the intention of being a customer engine; it's a 3.5L turbocharged inline-4, tuned for Group A and Group B use.)

If anyone is interested, I can post a bit more detailed guide to tuning turbocharged engines this week; getting the most out of a turbocharged engine seems to be a topic that a lot of people struggle with in this game...sometimes I even struggle with it too! I sat down a few days ago and tried to make a new Prototype variant of my current engine family, and no matter how hard I tried I was completely unable to match, much less exceed, the output of my current engine.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

MrChips posted:

(By the way these are both from an design I made with the intention of being a customer engine; it's a 3.5L turbocharged inline-4, tuned for Group A and Group B use.)

Does the game calculate NVH? Does that thing have a balance shaft in there?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Weird gaming-things thing that keeps working for me - a bunch of combinations of AR and turbine size produce the same exhaust flow, but smaller turbine is less inertia. So what I do is max the turbine AR and just tune with turbine wheel size because that seems to help lag.

There's a few inviolate details I always use, but past those I see what the engine wants. I think my A engine has 100 ignition timing because it has a lot of QP into that, for example. So I sort of fiddle compression vs ignition timing to see what it likes more (bsfc-wise) and similarly fiddle cam vs turbo to see which it prefers.

*edit* since I'm superceding it, any one want to see details of my outgoing PC engine?

mekilljoydammit fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 21, 2017

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Does the game calculate NVH? Does that thing have a balance shaft in there?

The game does calculate NVH and this engine is, shall we say, not ideal. In the UE4 version, where NVH calculations are even more strict, it's worse to the point that the engine is basically useless.

Automation simulates balance shafts to a degree IIRC, but it's all internal and you have no control over it.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I'll do a fake magazine writeup later because I have a headache. But here's some stuff.

For some reason there's a limit on turbo sizing and I'm not sure what it is. Displacement maybe? The sliders won't let me make the turbos any bigger and there's all sorts of weird little things that break my normal tweaking rules. For whatever reason I could run much bigger turbos on my new PC entry and that means it's built much differently.

I didn't want to screenshot every tab - it's running 7.6:1 compression, 85.5mm bore by 85mm stroke, and the cam slider is all the way racey. In that trim, if I bump the rev limiter up past what I want to for reliability (I think reliability drops to 22 to do this) it will do 1:53.95 or so at the Automation Test Track.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Just a friendly reminder to all contestants - if you want your revisions to run in the mid-season test Wednesday, they need to be in your Dropbox by tomorrow evening at 2359 GMT (7:59 PM Eastern Time).

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Couldn't sleep so tinkered with things. Can't do it with any engine family I have, but made a legal PC variant that did a 1:52.94 on the ATT in qualifying trim (reliability is way too low but oh well)

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Mid-season test is in the bag:

Due to a screw-up on my part, the test reports were not useful at all, unfortunately.

Also, since we are now at the halfway point of the season, it's time for a quick survey - whether you have participated or not, please take a moment to share your thoughts with me!

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

All right, let's see what we can do for the rest of the season. The PC engine was the result of way too many testing iterations - I do revisions by making a cloned version every time I move forwards on lap time and then modifying from there so I always have a way backwards, and it took 4 versions before I was even equalling the old engine.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Oh nice, things are looking up for the revamped Speedster! A few more tweaks, some sugar in the competition's fuel tanks, and we're good to go...

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

I would like to see something fun to replace the prototype class. Like a hot hatch class, or people carriers, 4x4 type vehicles or even vans. Something that focuses on frames that would never even be considered for racing. The result should be something like this Or maybe like this

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 26, 2017

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Dance Officer posted:

I would like to see something fun to replace the prototype class. Like a hot hatch class, or people carriers, 4x4 type vehicles or even vans. Something that focuses on frames that would never even be considered for racing. The result should be something like this Or maybe like this

I like the sound of a four door or hot hatch class. No restrictions on engine type, power etc. Or maybe something similar to [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N81cEqZEDVQ"]Improved Production[/url] where you have all types of bodies racing

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
My proposal would be that you'd build a 4 door car with 4 seats, the maximum displacement of 3 liters naturally aspirated or 2 liters with boost limit of 2 bar. Call it something like a Super Sedan Challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Actually... something like World Challenge would be fun. Weight break advantage for FWD but RWD and AWD allowed, maybe an explicit power limit, something like that. I'd kind of want to see power restricted some other way than fuel flow in that - just because the optimizations get different, and while there'd still be advantages to running an economical engine (less fuel needed means less pit stops) it wouldn't be as overwhelming as in the current challenge format.

• Locked thread