Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
I don't see it being much of a world challenge, i'd make it either an european or a north american series of around 12ish races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Triple A posted:

I don't see it being much of a world challenge, i'd make it either an european or a north american series.

Sorry, to be more clear, "Pirelli World Challenge" is a multiclass series run (ironically enough) in North America - traditionally anyway (it's moved since I last checked) the "lower" classes were of a pace whereby stuff like FWD Hondas and Mazdas were competing against RWD things on the order of BMW 325s and some AWD Audis. In that class, around 300hp and a lot of BoP things for the organizers to fiddle, plus the same "reward weight" idea used in Japanese Super GT at some point (and probably other places).

If we're doing this digitally, I want some technical freedom so we're not all cookie-cutter-ing the same "best" car but a touring car series could be fun

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Triple A posted:

My proposal would be that you'd build a 4 door car with 4 seats, the maximum displacement of 3 liters naturally aspirated or 2 liters with boost limit of 2 bar. Call it something like a Super Sedan Challenge.

B-Sedan? https://www.google.com/search?q=1972+b+sedan+rules... Say 1972 rules with 1991 tech?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I'm not going to tell y'all what I did just yet, but I made something that does 2:04 on the automation track, is group C compliant, not tuned yet, and should not be getting a 2:04 in the first place

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

SASC-90 Week 3 Preview

Road America 6 Hours

The beginning of the championship brings us deep into rural Wisconsin for the six-hour race at the challenging Road America circuit, for the first of three North American rounds. Dubbed by some as "America's Nurburgring", this heavily forested track poses many challenges to cars and drivers alike, with fast straights, sweeping corners, tight chicanes and elevation changes, this track has a little of everything in its layout. Expect an exciting race!

Montreal 6 Hours

The next round moves north of the border to sunny and beautiful Montreal, at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. This semi-permanent street circuit combines fast straights with tight, blind corners, hard braking zones and little to no runoff area. A fan and driver favourite alike.

Watkins Glen 12 Hours

Set in upstate New York, Watkins Glen is considered by many to be one of the premier motor racing tracks in all of North America. Long straights, sweeping bends and large elevation changes make this a very challenging track.

Nurburgring 24 Hours

Set in the Eifel Mountains in West Germany, the Nordschliefe is quite rightly called "The Green Hell" - any of the most brutal and challenging elements of any race track in this series can also be found here. In this layout, the track combines the Nordschliefe with the GP-Strecke (in black), for a total length of 25.947 kilometres.

Monza 6 Hours

The Autodromo Nazionale Monza is one of the fastest tracks in the SASC Championship, with average speeds expected to be second only to Le Mans. High-speeds, along with fast, sweeping corners favours cars with good aerodynamics and lots of horsepower.

Revisions Status:

Week 4 Weather:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

TO THE WIRE - CVR, EMS Duel In Prototype Thriller At Road America

ELKHART LAKE - CVR and EMS put on a show that will go down in history, with the #3 CVR Typhon winning over both EMS Salope Gran Vitesses by the narrowest margin of victory in SASC history today in the 6 Hours of Road America. Battling tooth and nail for the entire race, there was simply nothing between the two teams, with positions trading back and forth almost the entire race. After the final round of pitstops, the #3 CVR came out behind both EMSes, but the CVR's better performance when laden with fuel allowed the team to reel and pass their rivals, then build up enough of a lead to negate the advantage the Salope GVs had when light. Had the race gone another one or two laps, the EMSes would be standing on the top two steps, with the CVRs looking on from third and fourth.

EMS continued their string of strong finishes in Group C, taking the team's first 1-2 finish of the season, easily beating the heretofore unbeatable CVR Geryon Colossus by a full lap. DttC and Flamarbol battled ferociously for fifth through seventh places, little more than a handful of seconds between the two makes. NEMW managed to beat both Scuderia La Moores to the line in a brilliant recovery drive following the early retirement of the #995 Kancamagus GTO, but perhaps the bigger story was the pace of the thoroughly reworked Superbug Speedsters; it is pretty clear from your correspondent's perspective that the team did not rest easily over the mid-season break, and toiled away ceaselessly to take a big chunk out of their performance gap in the class. This bodes well for the team going forward, with rumours of even more performance on tap for the final week of the season.

In Group B, EMS continued their storybook season with their tenth win of the season, and the team's eighth 1-2 finish to boot, a full lap ahead of the newly-revamped Flamarbol Catalina B, the #12 completing an admirable recovery drive following the early retirement of their teammates in the #11 car after a second-lap accident. CVR and KRG excited and dazzled the assembled crowds in their battle, the bright orange Altjezzas trading paint and places with the green Geryon Aristos all race long, even after the retirement of the #97 car just after the halfway point of the race. Both DttCs finished well, beating out rivals at Scuderia La Moore and extending the gap between the two teams in the championship standings after the #89 La Moore Sport retired with engine failure in the third hour. Hurricane rounded out the top ten, as the #99 Harvey GrB took the team's eleventh top-ten finish of the season in a strong showing, beating out the sole NEMW Penobscot and Westward MX Type Rs respectively.

The good news just kept rolling in for EMS, as the #57 Salope Sprint took the team's third win of the season, finishing thirty seconds ahead of both CVR Geryons. The second and third place finish was good news for the British team, who were able to close the gap dramatically with championship-leading KRG, that team finishing eighth in class after the #87 Origami crashed out of the race just before the halfway point in a pitched battle between them and rivals PADB, Flamarbol, DttC and La Moore. with little more than half a lap separating all five teams when all was said and done. Ultimately, DttC came out on top of that group of cars, taking fifth place after the #34 GrA retired very early with an engine failure. Flamarbol's newly revised Catalina As showed strongly today as well, finishing sixth and eighth on a track that even they admitted was not going to be their strong suit, beating out the perennially-quick but short-legged #16 PADB Perun to the chequered flag by only a few seconds.

Top Fives:

Race Results:

Season Standings (click for bigger):

Revision Points:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

mekilljoydammit posted:

Actually... something like World Challenge would be fun. Weight break advantage for FWD but RWD and AWD allowed, maybe an explicit power limit, something like that. I'd kind of want to see power restricted some other way than fuel flow in that - just because the optimizations get different, and while there'd still be advantages to running an economical engine (less fuel needed means less pit stops) it wouldn't be as overwhelming as in the current challenge format.

If SASC-91 happens (and it looks like you guys all want it to at the moment), the basic rule package will remain very similar to what we have in SASC-90, with one exception - instead of one body (the Porsche 930-lookalike) being subject to balance of performance, I am going to go through and balance all of the bodies as best as I can with the measures I have available with the simulation as it stands right now.

I am currently looking into ways to make a TCR-type of series produce very closely-matched racing. That series will almost certainly use a "reward weight" system to slow down the top cars and speed up the bottom cars (to a degree), and also a very different kind of engine formula that incentivises engines of smaller displacement - perhaps by issuing production units inversely to engine displacement, and maybe even something like adding a factor to the tire size calculation that adds more tire for cars with less horsepower.

I guess what I am trying to say is I am really trying to avoid an outright horsepower cap, or a min/max power-to-weight ratio range that all entrants must adhere to, because I just flat-out don't like that kind of restriction.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Just FYI both Montreal and Watkins are the closest my team have to a home race (both being a roughly 6 hour drive from Boston)

Prob gonna submit new engines for all my entries this weekend, been too busy with work and pre-PAX Unplugged stuff (still busy with the latter, but not as much) the past few weeks.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

MrChips posted:

If SASC-91 happens (and it looks like you guys all want it to at the moment), the basic rule package will remain very similar to what we have in SASC-90, with one exception - instead of one body (the Porsche 930-lookalike) being subject to balance of performance, I am going to go through and balance all of the bodies as best as I can with the measures I have available with the simulation as it stands right now.

Last season there was one chassis that was clearly dominant, this time it seems most of the competitive cars focus around two chassis. We also have the KRGs and the speedster, which has potential to be competitive if my results are anything to go by. And then there's my group C experiment.

To be honest, from what I've seen and built so far, I don't think balancing chassis is necessary. Most of the competitive people focus on one or two chassis, sure. But that's probably nothing to do with those being the clearly the best.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Laguna Seca is on the schedule, right? That would be the closest to my "home course" since Sears Point isn't being used.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Autosport Weekly posted:

"That was more like it," commented Jean-Luc Ledgédale, CEO of the French Equipe Mardre Sport. "We were thrilled to have won the Group B class at the 24 hours with the Salope Cyclone - it is a huge honor to have done so at the most prestigious race on the calendar. And yet, we had optimized the Gran Vitesse for La Sarthe and it came to naught. CVR had truly built their cars for the circuit and earned their wins. Their disrespect of the Tricolore however... well, we cannot let that stand."

Of predictions for the next few rounds, Ledgédale shrugged. "I am told that we have reverted back to a similar design philosophy as we first used, playing to the strengths of our lighter weight compared to most of our competition. I believe that Road America was on the faster side of the spectrum, and should have played into the relative strengths of our CVR competition. Certainly the lead that they have in the season points is large but... we do not intend to let them have any of the classes in the championship without a fight. And I believe we have demonstrated that those are not merely words."

Aw, 2.111 seconds from sweeping the top step of all the classes. :D

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

So my secret project did not turn out as cool as I had hoped it would, and I will not be entering it into group C.

The idea was to see how far a people carrier could be pushed under the group C ruleset. The result:

quite far!

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 31, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Heh heh heh. I may take a stab at that, that's pretty funny.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Oh, that's beautiful! If I'd been more experienced, I'd likely have entered something like that for Class B, with something even more absurd for Class A. I have a soft spot for unlikely contenders. And I'm super pleased to see the Speedster moving up in the world!

As for coming seasons; you think we'll be able to use the UE4 engine? Kee is nice and all, but... maybe a little crash happy. :pcgaming1:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

If you think that's bad, I had to manually edit the exported .lua files to fix some stuff that Automation screwed up.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Pursesnatcher posted:

As for coming seasons; you think we'll be able to use the UE4 engine? Kee is nice and all, but... maybe a little crash happy. :pcgaming1:

This is hopefully the last challenge on the Kee engine, ever. Just remember that any problems you guys have had are amplified thirty-six times on my end of this challenge :derp:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

NAVAL BATTLE - CVR, EMS Split Wins In Drenched Montreal

MONTREAL - Conditions were very challenging at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve this afternoon, with steady rain soaking the track all day long, letting up only briefly about a third of the way through the race, with the track drying just enough that some teams gambled on running a set of intermediate tires. The weather caused chaos at the start, with a huge pile-up into the first chicane involving no fewer than ten cars, some of them damaged badly enough to need extensive repairs, while others got away relatively scot-free. EMS came out the other end rather worse for wear, as the #78 Salope Gran Vitesse (which was the car that triggered the accident in the first place) and the #58 Salope Sprint needed lengthy repairs in the garage to be able to continue their campaign. This, along with the late retirement of the #77 EMS allowed CVR to cruise easily to the overall and class victory, finishing a full six laps up on third-place NEMW, that team jubilant on their podium finish this afternoon.

CVR recovered somewhat from their rough race at Road America, with the #83 Geryon Colossus finishing first in Group C after the #84 retired early with an engine failure, opening the door for EMS to take the final two podium spots, just a minute behind the remaining CVR. In spite of their success, CVR are very disappointed with the performance of the updated Geryon; rumour has it that an aerodynamic change was made to the cars over the mid-season break that in practice has actually slowed the cars dramatically; one anonymous team engineer was quoted that the change has added almost three quarters of a second to the old lap times. CVR is scrambling to find a solution, but it isn't expected to debut until the first race of the final leg of the championship, to be held at Imola. DttC cruised to an easy fourth and fifth place finish just behind the EMSes and two laps clear of sixth- and seventh-place Scuderia La Moore and Flamarbol, those two teams dicing for position for the whole race after early retirements for a car apiece.

The wins kept rolling for EMS in Group B, that team looking to put a stranglehold on the championship in that class. Flamarbol notched the final podium spot in class, both their cars finishing a lap behind the Salope Cyclones, and a full two laps ahead of DttC in fourth and fifth place, the Dutch team proving to be formidable opponents in the rain. The two CVRs came in behind the two DttCs, with the #64 finishing a lap down on its sister #63 car after a couple of lengthy pitstops. KRG and Scuderia La Moore fought the battle of the class, with both cars from each team only a handful of seconds apart after six hours of racing. While the racing was very hard fought between the two teams, it was also very clean and sportsmanlike, with no incidents to speak of in spite of racing nearly bumper to bumper the entire race.

The #57 EMS Salope Sprint made it two for two in Group A, winning that car's second race in a row in a dominant showing, and in spite of the first-lap accident effectively ending the #58's race prematurely. Flamarbol continued their string of solid results with a second and third place finish, a lap down from the remaining EMS but just ahead of the two Scuderia La Moores, their deep red 570 Brisbanellos proving to be excellent cars in this adverse weather. As with their Group B siblings, the Group A DttCs proved to be formidable in the rain as well, taking a solid sixth and seventh place finish ahead of the hard-charging PADBs, the #15 Perun setting the fastest lap of the race in Group A at 1:51.225 when the rain let up briefly. KRG beat out the sole competitive CVR - that car's teammates taken out in the first-lap fracas - to round out the top ten, the bright Orange Origamis avoiding much of the chaos that affected the race early on.

Top Fives:

Race Results:

Revision Points:

MrChips fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 2, 2017

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

MrChips posted:

This is hopefully the last challenge on the Kee engine, ever. Just remember that any problems you guys have had are amplified thirty-six times on my end of this challenge :derp:

I'm not sure if you've noticed it but I've noticed a bug in the UE4 version that changes the bore or stroke (not sure which right now, been a bit since I opened it last) and thus fucks with compression, and by extension, octane rating and power.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Kilonum posted:

I'm not sure if you've noticed it but I've noticed a bug in the UE4 version that changes the bore or stroke (not sure which right now, been a bit since I opened it last) and thus fucks with compression, and by extension, octane rating and power.

Really? I haven't seen that yet. Make sure you report it in the UE4 Bugs thread on the Automation forums.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

MrChips posted:

Really? I haven't seen that yet. Make sure you report it in the UE4 Bugs thread on the Automation forums.

lol I got it wrong, it's a VVL engine bug, it lowers the Cam Profile. also only seems to affect V16s. I did report it.

And too bad we aren't using the UE4 version now, my protos would be rocking V16s.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

BARBIES BURNING BRIGHT - La Moore Wins Watkins Glen

WATKINS GLEN - Scuderia La Moore took their second win of the season in Group A today in the 12 Hours of Watkins Glen, after a thrilling battle with CVR in the last hour of the race. After the final round of pitstops, the two 570 Brisbanellos found themselves ten seconds behind the two Geryons, but lapping significantly faster on fresh tires. With only fifteen minutes left in the race, both La Moores made their way past the CVRs, who did their damnedest to make the big green coupes even larger on the track, but ultimately their efforts failed. The surprisingly large Australian contingent here for the reminded your correspondent of the wild days of the 1970s, where there was arguably as much, or even more, excitement off the track as there was on. Smoke from barbeques obscured parts of the track at times, making conditions challenging on this otherwise fine early September day, the weather looking imposing at the start of the race, but clearing out nicely into the afternoon and evening, a picturesque sunset over the rolling hills of upstate New York the perfect backdrop for the action on-track.

DttC put up a tremendous fight with the CVRs and La Moores in Group A, finishing only a few seconds back in fifth and sixth place, nearly a full lap ahead of the #20 Flamarbol in seventh place. The #21 Catalina A was embroiled in a testy battle with championship-leading KRG, that car finishing in ninth place following a spectacular three-way drag race up the front straight on the very last lap, as the much faster Flamarbol overtook the #87 Origami after that car ran wide out of the final turn - and with a couple hundred metres more track, the Flamarbol would have taken the #86 as well. PADB ran a solid race, setting the fastest lap again, with the Peruns being the only cars in class running below the 2:08 mark. EMS, coming off back-to-back wins, had a weekend to forget, with an engine failure ending the race of the #58 Salope Sprint, and a late accident involving the #57 handing the class lead to the two CVRs with a little more than two hours to go.

Fortunately for EMS, their bad luck did not extend into Group B, as the two Salope Cyclones managed to fend off the two CVR Geryon Aristos in what turned out to be a battle of strategy and pit stops as much as anything else. Flamarbol was a little off-pace here, finishing a lap back of the CVRs in fourth and fifth place, but a full lap ahead of the #97 KRG Altjezza, that car running strong in the absence of its teammates in the #96, who crashed hard in the third hour of the race and needed lengthy repairs to continue their campaign. DttC ran a quick and unremarkable race, something very important in these twelve-hour races, well ahead of the #88 Scuderia La Moore Sport, that team suffering a couple of accidents to take them out of the running on this day.

The #84 CVR took the top spot in Group C, even as their cars continued to suffer from what is now clear to be a botched aerodynamic package, and the sister #83 car retired in the third hour following an engine failure. This was followed by the two DttCs, who notched their fifth second-place finish of the season, and their second double-podium finish in Group C. The #8 Flamarbol Catalina C come home in fourth place, just seconds ahead of the #91 La Moore F1, those two teams breathing down each other's necks following a pair of unrelated accidents that took out both team's second cars - the #7 Catalina crashing in the fifth hour, and the #90 La Moore triggering a first-lap accident that spoiled the races for the #74 Westward and the #256 Automurdermotive Group B cars, as well as the #48 Westward Group A car. The stewards looked at the incident and decided that no penalties would be assessed, but a warning has been issued to all drivers to be more cognisant of their competitors on the first lap of the race.

CVR continued their dominance of the Prototype class, continuing the team's unbroken string of wins going back to the first round at Daytona, and setting the stage for the team to potentially clench the Prototype constructor championship as early as the next race at the Nurburgring, the British team needing a total of 320 points to seal their victory with six rounds remaining. CVR is hopeful that they can finish the deal within the next two races, as rumours are starting to float around that the manufacturer is facing down an "existential financial crisis", and would no doubt welcome some good news to help bolster morale back at the workshop in Bradford.

Top Fives:

Race Results:

Revision Points:

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

MrChips posted:

BARBIES BURNING BRIGHT - La Moore Wins Watkins Glen
The surprisingly large Australian contingent here for the reminded your correspondent of the wild days of the 1970s, where there was arguably as much, or even more, excitement off the track as there was on. Smoke from barbeques obscured parts of the track at times, making conditions challenging on this otherwise fine early September day, the weather looking imposing at the start of the race, but clearing out nicely into the afternoon and evening, a picturesque sunset over the rolling hills of upstate New York the perfect backdrop for the action on-track.

Tactical bbq bushfire smoke plan wins races, Scuderia La Moore confirmed for greatest team.

Bring on Bathurst :getin:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Good lord that's a lot of engine failures. Oh well, suckit RNG.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Nuuuuu my GrB second place ! And i'm probably going to lose the GrA lead next race too, my cars are not too competitive in this second half of the season.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Kafouille posted:

Nuuuuu my GrB second place ! And i'm probably going to lose the GrA lead next race too, my cars are not too competitive in this second half of the season.

The last revision window is still open...your season isn't over just yet :)

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

SWEET SUCCESS - CVR Clenches Prototype Crown At Gruelling Nurburgring 24 Hours

NURBURGRING - After a dominant race that highlighted their stranglehold on the class, CVR went wire-to-wire to win the Nurburgring 24 Hours today, finishing first and third to seal the SASC-90 Prototype Constructor's Championship. EMS put up a valiant fight to try and keep their chances alive, but after the #78 Salope Gran Vitesse retired in the stifling early evening heat with an engine failure, all but ending their season right then and there. The good news for CVR was a much-needed boost to the company's spirits, with the managing director admitting to the press in the last week that the small, Bradford-based auto manufacturer has been seeking a buyer since the beginning of the summer.

In Group C, DttC, ever the bridesmaid in-class with five second-place finishes and no wins to show for their effort, finally had their day in the sun, winning the class comfortably as their rivals at both CVR and EMS fell one-by-one, with EMS retiring both cars due to engine failure, and CVR retiring one due to engine failure and losing another to a very costly accident early in the race. Scuderia La Moore matched their best finish of the season, finishing third and fifth and opening the gap between them and LATOY in the Constructor standings. The Finnish team enjoyed a rather successful race, matching their best finish in sixth place, though a first-lap accident dashed their hopes of moving in the standings with their strong result. Flamarbol had a troubled race, as both Catalina Cs were involved in a series of mishaps, one of which retired the #8 car in the early hours before sunrise. With CVR's stumble, second-place DttC closed the gap between them and CVR to only 370 points, with five rounds remaining. With CVR's struggles with a bad aero package in this leg of the championship, their considerable lead has eroded to the point that one bad race might very well lose them the class championship.

EMS took the chequered flag in Group B for the thirteenth time this season, a full lap ahead of second- and third-place CVR, who continued their strong showings of the last few races here on the Nurburgring. It was not all good news for EMS, however, as the #81 Salope Cyclone crashed hard mid-morning, necessitating a two-and-a-half hour repair in the garage to get the car back on track, ultimately consigning the car to finish fourteenth in class. This minor stumble allowed CVR and third-place DttC, who leapfrogged KRG after that team retired one Altjezza and finished tenth with the other, to reel in EMS in the Constructor standings. While EMS' performance has been nothing short of dominant so far this season, they have shown themselves to be vulnerable in some areas, and nobody on the French team is sitting back and expecting the rest of the field to just hand them the Constructor trophy. NEMW just missed out on their first podium finish of the season, pushing hard into a decisive fourth-place finish ahead of the #89 Scuderia La Moore Sport in fifth.

In Group A, EMS' strong performances continued with the team taking a decisive one-two finish, muddying the class Constructor championship as the team shot to first place over CVR and KRG, the bright orange Origamis suffering only their second retirement of the season with a rare engine failure ending the #86 car's race just as the sun was rising over the track. CVR too suffered a rare engine failure in the #62 car, while the #61 Geryon crashed on the first lap, requiring a lengthy repair, and crashed again late in the race, stopped in the garage when the flag came down, having completed enough laps to remain classified. With PADB finishing in third and Flamarbol taking fourth and fifth in class, there are now six teams within three hundred points of leaders EMS, with six rounds remaining in the Championship - any one of which has a very real shot at winning the title. In the midst of all of the chaos at the top of the Championship, several of the mid-field teams enjoyed enormously successful races - FISH took their second top-ten of the season, while the two Westward MXs finished a season-high eighth and eleventh places, and the #128 Automurdermotive
Bad Monkey finished in ninth place, a season-best for that team as well. LATOY matched their season-best finish today as well, while Muira Puama set a new high-water mark as well, with the #100 Stinger finishing thirteenth in class ahead of the two Hurricanes.

Top Fives:

Race Results:

Revision Points:

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
That GrA engine failure hurts, KRG can't afford a DNF on a 24h high points race. I think this is it for the chances of the Origami this season, sadly.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

You know, once this is done I'd be really interested in any hints on where my PC car is losing out... well, I know the Week 2 revision was a dog and probably lost me any shot, but I expected the new version to have more speed in hand than it does.

I do think the thing is suffering from being tied to the same engine family as the GT cars - they're so constrained in engine bay volume the PC and C versions are really stressed.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FORZA FLAMARBOL - Flamarbol Posts 1-2 Finish At Monza

MONZA - Flamarbol had one of their strongest races of the season this afternoon at the Monza 6 Hours, taking winning Group A in dramatic fashion over CVR and PADB. With only twenty minutes left in the race, the two Catalinas made their way past the two CVRs, who led the race after both EMSes experienced failures of some sort, the #57 ending its race in the garage with an engine failure of some sort. PADB was able to briefly lead the race, but that car's relatively short range meant that it was unable to hold the lead for more than a handful of laps at a time before they needed to refuel. La Moore, KRG and DttC battled ferociously, as has been the case for much of the season, with a mere seventeen seconds between the sixth-place 570 Brisbanello and the eleventh-place DttC. The Italian fans cheered and hollered wildly as the three teams traded places all race long, while cheering their home team FISH to an unexpectedly good sixteenth-place finish. With EMS' stumble here at Monza, the Group A Championship is still very much up for grabs, with KRG halving the gap to EMS, and with CVR and Flamarbol making up a considerable amount of the gap in the standings as well. As it stands today, EMS holds a scant, 20-point lead over KRG, who are 46 and 66 points ahead of CVR and Flamarbol respectively. With five rounds left, including the challenging Bathurst 24 Hours, the Group A title is likely to go right to the chequered flag in Australia.

The #81 EMS Salope Cyclone took top honours in Group B, and with a third place by the #80 car, EMS was able to extend their lead over second-place CVR, now needing to score 332 points over the next five races to secure the Group B title. CVR was unable to make any ground up in the Championship following a massive first-lap accident that wrote off the #63 Geryon Aristo, ending the team's string of solid finishes that stretches back to Le Mans seven races ago. DttC's sixth- and seventh-place finish was good enough to close the gap on CVR and open it further on KRG in the standings, especially after the #96 Altjezza was knocked out of contention following an hour-long stint in the garage following an accident on the seventh lap. These accidents, as well as one involving the #12 Flamarbol, allowed NEMW to make good on the considerable speed of the Penobscot GTX, giving the team their second top-ten finish in as many races. While this season has definitely not been kind to the New England-based team, they are confident going forward that they can work out their reliability issues in time for the first test next season.

CVR surprised everyone, much less themselves, with their class win in Group C, just squeezing out the #65 and #66 EMSes for the top two spots. The #66 EMS, however, had their race end prematurely following a suspension failure in the last twenty minutes of the race, forced to sit out the exciting ending in the garage. The Flamarbols and DttCs put on a show every bit as good as the Group A ending, with all four cars finishing in sight of one another, the Catalinas having just pipped the big Dutch coupes for fourth and fifth place. With five rounds left, Championship-leading CVR needs only 494 points to seal their victory, though it remains to be seen if the beleaguered manufacturer has the resources to deploy a fix to the Geryon Colossus' botched aerodynamic upgrade in time for the final leg of the championship.

Top Fives:

Race Results:

Revision Points:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

SASC-90 Final Week Preview

Imola 6 Hours

Set not far from the heart and soul of the Italian motorsport industry, the Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari makes the final round of this leg one of the most challenging of the SASC Championship's six-hour sprint races. This track demands good straight-line speed and high-speed handling, to take advantage of the sweeping, high-speed bends, all while the rough surface threatens to upset the handling at the same time.

Laguna Seca 6 Hours

The last round in North America, Laguna Seca is the shortest track of the Championship. Laguna constitutes one of most unique tracks in the championship, on account of its large elevation changes, blind corners and of course, the famous Corkscrew. The tight confines of the track will make for some challenging racing as well; expect lots of incidents.

Suzuka 6 Hours

The first of two stops in Japan, Suzuka is one of the most beloved tracks in all of motorsport. It combines all manner of corners, from slow hairpins to confidence-testing high-speed sweepers, and combined with the enthusiastic crowds, should make for a tremendously entertaining spectacle.

Fuji 12 Hours

The second to last stop in the 1990 SASC season, Fuji is a tremendously fast track and favours cars with good aero and horsepower, because downforce and straight-line speed are critical here. With the poor weather forecast, expect things to get chaotic...

Bathurst 24 Hours

For the finale of the SASC 1990 season, the series ends in the Southern Hemisphere at the historic Mount Panorama Circuit in Australia. Long, fast and with huge elevation changes going up and down the mountain, this track is all about power. The weather is expected to play a factor too, considering that this will likely be the hottest race of the whole season - track surface temperatures could exceed 50 degrees Celsius - which could play havoc with tires and fragile engines. Expect elation and heartbreak in equal measures!

Revision Status:

Revisions and pit strategies are now fixed for the rest of the season!

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Westward is already testing new engines for the 1991 MX's. They will not be the Q-engines currently being used.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Danny Glands posted:

Westward is already testing new engines for the 1991 MX's. They will not be the Q-engines currently being used.

How much of a gap until next season? Another year? Things have settled for me and I can finally get back to tweaking setups.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

extreme_accordion posted:

How much of a gap until next season? Another year? Things have settled for me and I can finally get back to tweaking setups.

It'll be similar or better than the gap between SASC-89 and -90; so, 3-6 months or so. And it will run in the UE4 engine if all goes to plan.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

MrChips posted:

It'll be similar or better than the gap between SASC-89 and -90; so, 3-6 months or so. And it will run in the UE4 engine if all goes to plan.

.... So since it never does what's plan A?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

extreme_accordion posted:

.... So since it never does what's plan A?

Back on the cursed Kee engine version. :saddowns:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

PRESSURE'S ON - EMS And Flamarbol Win At Imola, Group A At Loggerheads

IMOLA - EMS took their first overall victory in the Prototype class - in fact, the first win in-class for a team other than CVR - enroute to a sparking finish at the Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari this afternoon, the team taking victories in three of the four classes. Class champion CVR ran a strong race, with the two CVR Typhons finishing a lap down in second and third place, breaking their string of fifteen consecutive race victories. It remains to be seen if CVR is willing or even able to run the Typhons at the remaining four rounds of the SASC Championship, as the British manufacturer is rumoured to be filing for bankruptcy imminently, after talks with the CMW Group fell through last week.

CVR suffered a rare tactical misstep in Group C, the team gambling with their fuel situation in the closing laps of the race in the midst of a pitched battle with the #66 EMS Salope Superbe for the class victory. Unfortunately for CVR, the gamble did not pay off, and the #83 Geryon Colossus coasted to a halt on the downhill run into Rivazza, the team settling for a bittersweet second place ahead of the two DttCs and both La Moore F1s. EMS lost the #65 Superbe to engine failure just before the halfway mark, dashing that team's hopes of a 1-2 finish, and the #84 Geryon Colossus crashed hard avoiding lapped traffic in the second hour, spending almost an hour and a half in the garage for repairs. Flamarbol cruised home to an easy sixth- and seventh-place finish, a lap ahead of the two NEMW Kancamagus GTOs. With four races remaining, CVR only needs 310 points to secure the Group C title, a feat they hope to achieve at the Fuji 12 Hours in a month's time.

EMS took top honours in Group B, with the #80 Salope Cyclone taking the team's fifteenth class win, and that car's seventh win. The sister #81 car, however, was not so lucky this afternoon, getting caught up in a first-lap accident with the #63 CVR Geryon Aristo, then experiencing an engine failure in the last hour of the race, finishing their campaign in the garage. In spite of their bad luck, EMS finds themselves needing only 155 points to secure the Group B title, and with four races remaining it seems to be all but assured they will secure the title before the finale in Australia. Flamarbol took second and third, making eleven podium finishes on the season so far, the most behind championship-leading EMS. KRG took fourth and fifth after a tactical battle with the remaining competitive CVR, scoring them enough points to close the gap to third-place DttC, only eighteen points ahead of KRG. DttC finished seventh in class with the #45 GrB, while the #44 suffered a couple of serious accidents during the race, finishing twenty-second in class as the last running car overall. Scuderia La Moore was off-pace all weekend, the cooler weather not suiting their cars as much as the others, finishing in eighth and ninth following an absolute dogfight with the two NEMW Penobscots, the #996 just seconds behind the ninth-place La Moore Sport. Their strongest overall finish of the season moves NEMW to within fifteen points of eighth-place Automurdermotive in the standings, and sixty-four points clear of tenth-place Muira Puama, whose Potencys struggled all weekend for pace, finishing nineteenth and twentieth in class coming off of one of their strongest finishes of the year at Monza.

As though it wasn't close enough already, the Group A title race closed up even further after Flamarbol ran out to a decisive 1-2 finish this afternoon, after disaster struck for EMS, who came into the final leg of the Championship with a ten-point lead over KRG. On Lap 4, the driver of the #57 Salope Sprint missed a shift and destroyed the car's engine, retiring very early and leaving only the #58 to try and make the best of a bad situation. The #58 ran an admirable race, but they were not able to match the pace of the two Catalina As at any point, and after a thrown accessory belt necessitated a remedial pit stop, the team was forced to settle for third in class, twenty-five seconds ahead of the two CVR Geryons in fourth and fifth respectively. PADB and KRG battle fiercely between each other, and also with the CVRs just ahead, though the pressure of the race and the championship battle got to the #16 PADB Perun, that car spearing off track on the first lap in avoidance of the EMS-CVR accident ahead in the field, knocking the #16 out of contention and forcing them to be content with a sixth and twenty-seventh place finish, losing ground to the top four teams in the Championship. PADB's bad news was, however, good news for KRG, with the two Origamis finishing seventh and eighth in class, which scored them enough points to re-take the Championship lead by the slimmest of margins. With four rounds left, only thirty-four points separates first-place KRG from fourth-place CVR, and with Laguna Seca and Suzuka coming up, both very demanding tracks, KRG is confident that they just might have a chance to open up a bit more of a lead over their rivals going into the decisive races at the end of the season. DttC, with their ninth- and tenth-place finish was also able to keep pace in teh standings, only fifty-one points behind PADB in fifth place. With such a tight finish brewing up, it really is anyone's Championship still; even a single retirement now could mean the difference between victory and defeat.

Top Fives:

Race Results:

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Slow and steady boys, we're leading GrA despite finishing on podium in only one race.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Kafouille posted:

Slow and steady boys, we're leading GrA despite finishing on podium in only one race.

the Keke Rosberg of SASC

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
The strategy of being consistently mediocre does seem to have benefits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
drat boys, I need a big week out of you! Go Flamarbol!

• Locked thread