Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'm gonna do:

Connor McDavid: $110->$122 (second time keeper)
Radko Gudas: $4->$5 (second time keeper)
Jeff Carter: $6->$8 (first time keeper)
Sergei Bobrovsky: $50->$60 (first time keeper)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Still working on team name for Hockiest

Nicklas Backstrom - $70 ---> $84
Jacob Trouba $1-->$2
Matt Murray $51-->$61
Ryan Getzlaf $52--->$62

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I ended up with this team in Yahoo Hockey Open League. Tried to focus on D since I drafted 9th. We're called Book 'Em Giordano.

C- Leon Draisaitl, Sean Monahan, Bryan Little
LW-Jeff Skinner, Jaden Schwartz, Gabe Landeskog
RW- T.J. Oshie, Kyle Palmieri
D- Erik Karlsson, PK Subban, Justin Faulk, Aaron Ekblad, Shea Theodore
G-Devan Dubnyk, Steve Mason, Antti Ranta

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
How many teams?

The defense is nice, and it seems like you went for forwards who are going to get hits (if that's scored) in addition to chipping in some offense, which could be smart. Goaltending could go either way after Dubnyk but Mason and Raanta are probably decent gambles.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I will join your League of Dorks but I need a crash course as I've never done fantasy hockey competitively.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

corn on the cop posted:

I will join your League of Dorks but I need a crash course as I've never done fantasy hockey competitively.

Draft guys who will get points or stop a lot of pucks. Use yahoo fantasy app / desktop site to dress the good ones every week.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I laughed. I'll tag on later tonight

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

Draft guys who will get points or stop a lot of pucks. Use yahoo fantasy app / desktop site to dress the good ones every week.

If he's joining the Longstick it's a bit more complicated than that.

The drafter is pretty good and you can sort by what stats the league counts for. So if you're in a league that also tracks hits/blocks like LSL you'll be able to see that. It's not that hard to manage tbh. The only real rules to follow is make sure you can win multiple categories each week and make sure you don't screw yourself by not drafting enough goalies.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
I'm gonna miss you Vladdy. Best winning bid I ever made.

I'll keep the name O'Reilly's Auto Parts until after the draft. In the mean time, keepers:

Jack Eichel: $59 -> $71
Mark Scheifele: $46 -> $56
Brad Marchand: $26 -> $32
Jake Gardiner: $1 -> $2

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

corn on the cop posted:

the link be here: https://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/hockey/38184/invitation?key=2e24f4a41c7c263c&ikey=6763828cca1c078f

we're gonna need at least 1 more to get us to 18 before Sunday once corn joins.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

How many teams?

The defense is nice, and it seems like you went for forwards who are going to get hits (if that's scored) in addition to chipping in some offense, which could be smart. Goaltending could go either way after Dubnyk but Mason and Raanta are probably decent gambles.

I don't think hits are but I think PIM is? Forwards wise my logic was largely BPA, lotta guys auto drafted so the chance of people falling to me simply wasn't there. Also, it's 12 teams. I think this team could win, especially if McDavid or Crosby gets hurt (the latter seems quite likely to me). I'm also hoping this is Schwartz's big year. Landeskog was my biggest reach but I think he rebounds to about 50-60 pts.

I was telling my boss about my team and he's quite certain that Raanta was my sleeper pick. Liked the Theodore pick, too.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Raanta could definitely be a difference maker but hard to say how things go for Arizona. Theodore is almost defacto the number 1 in Vegas so that's a nice pick too.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
LSL is a go. Give me a few days to deliver on a name

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

corn on the cop posted:

LSL is a go. Give me a few days to deliver on a name

I ended up passing on Streit Fighter II Turbo so I'll let you have it if you can't think of a good one.

genki
Nov 12, 2003
Changed my mind on LSL. I haven't had time to set up draft orders and I can never join live drafts these days so I better pass on futility. Though maybe I'll change my mind again, we'll see.

Keepers for Genki Origami:

Matthew Tkachuk: $5 -> $6
Mark Stone: $3 -> $4
Colton Parayko: $2 -> $3 (second year)
Cam Talbot: $3 -> $4

Hope there's something good to spend all my money on...

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
What's everyone's thoughts on Kuznetsov this year? I keep waffling on him as an option in pools this year. For example, in a group of 5, I have the option between him, Scheifele, and Draisaitl. He's kind of a difficult player to project.

In the HHL, I am going with...

Nylander ($2 -> $4)
Barkov ($26 -> $32)
Granlund ($1 -> $2)
Vasilevskiy ($6 -> $8)

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think Kuznetsov is a lot closer to the 70+ point player he was two years ago than the 59 he put up last year (not that 59 is bad). He's been on a line with Ovechkin and Connolly for training camp and he'll get PP time, I'd expect him to improve on last year's totals for sure. I'm not sure I'd take him over Scheifele or Draisaitl unless he's significantly cheaper though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I would not take him over Scheifle or Drai. Scheifle is a better player, and while I'm not necessarily convinced Drai is any better than Kuznetsov Drai does get to play with arguably the best player in the world so it's academic.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'd potentially consider him over Draisaitl only because my understanding is they're splitting him and Connor up and seeing if Leon can handle his own line, and who knows how that will turn out. Kuznetsov is already a proven top-6 center and would probably be #1 in Washington if it weren't for Backstrom.

Agreed on Scheifele though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

I would not take him over Scheifle or Drai. Scheifle is a better player, and while I'm not necessarily convinced Drai is any better than Kuznetsov Drai does get to play with arguably the best player in the world so it's academic.

Scheifele gets to play with Laine but I don't see the 20% shooting or 11% on ice shooting repeating itself this year. He's a real concern for a drop-off vs last season. Kuz only got 2 minutes of PP time last year so you've got to ask whether or not he has room to grow there (he does), and he shot more reasonable numbers and had more reasonable puck luck. I could see both of them hitting 70 and wouldn't rate them drastically differently.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

Scheifele gets to play with Laine but I don't see the 20% shooting or 11% on ice shooting repeating itself this year. He's a real concern for a drop-off vs last season. Kuz only got 2 minutes of PP time last year so you've got to ask whether or not he has room to grow there (he does), and he shot more reasonable numbers and had more reasonable puck luck. I could see both of them hitting 70 and wouldn't rate them drastically differently.

I could see it. Scheifele did have better shooting luck for sure, though he does also seem like the type of player who will always shoot above average because he has a good shot and great hockey sense.

I dunno Scheifele just impresses me more when I watch him. Kuznetsov is really good though. You probably can't go wrong either way.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going through a fairly simple email draft now with some guys who I do other pools with.

7 guys, 20$ buy in. 12 F, 6D, 1 team. Pure points + team wins are worth 2 points. At the end of the season you drop your worst F and worst D.

These leagues are fun because there's nothing to them but predicting who will do better. After doing a lot of roto stuff with farm teams and constant adds / drops, this kind of pool can be a lot of fun.

So.

We have about 2 weeks before the season. T-Bone brought up doing a cash pool - if there's still interest in, maybe we just do something like this and run it over email?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Nylander or Eichel? I can see Willy going through a bit of a sophomore slump but he did a lot more with the time given last season. I can see Eichel being more consistent but he also faces better competition. I'm torn.

Also, does anyone think granlund won't regress significantly? If not, why?

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 26, 2017

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

JoelJoel posted:

Nylander or Eichel? I can see Willy going through a bit of a sophomore slump but he did a lot more with the time given last season. I can see Eichel being more consistent but he also faces better competition. I'm torn.

Also, does anyone think granlund won't regress significantly? If not, why?

Eichel without a second thought, IMO. He went nearly a point per game coming off an ankle injury playing with less talent than Nylander does.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Eichel is legit as gently caress and will get the premium PP time.

Nylander has to compete with Mathews, Marner, Kadri, JVR for PP time.

Also Eichel is younger with more room for growth from his already excellent numbers.

That's probably what would sway me. Eichel is ~80 pts. Nylander is ~65.

Granlund has high on ice % and high shooting % (but not that high), but his A1:A2 ratio indicates he actually got a little bit unlucky (though it may just be his pattern, 2015/16 was bad too).

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

JoelJoel posted:

Eichel and it's not even close. I dunno if it's the injury, or playing for Buffalo, but people seem to forget how good Eichel is. People had lengthy debates about whether he or McDavid should go first overall, which seems weird in retrospect, but Eichel is absolutely a world-class talent.

Nylander is still cool, though.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 26, 2017

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Hmmmmm, guess I was a bit blinded by Nylander's production while being at only 16 mins a night.

Cheers.

E: man, I totally forgot Nylander was older. I gotta get better at hockey nerding.

E2: as for stupid team names, one of my managers went with #takeoutaknee which I quite liked.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 26, 2017

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Well, since no one was interested in a dedicated thread I'll just dump my offseason notes here so you can all make fun.

Here's a bunch of players I think will bounce back or take an extra step and some players I think are going to regress significantly. (please keep in mind mostly put this list together a the beginning of the offseason)

Players that should bounce back:

Eichel! - new coach, not injured, another year older
Kucherov/Palat/Namestikov or whoever ends up playing with Stammer.
Parayko - his shooting was down, but small sample and all. He just looked so good out there every time I watched the blues play.
Ekholm - That d-corp has so much talent but he always stands out for me. His shooting% was garbage last season.
Ristolainen - Buffalo should get better (should) and he's another year older and has improved every year.
Ghost - not a lot of sample but his shooting was WAY down last season (alternative: WAY high the season before) and he should hopefully step back up this year.
Provorov - He shoots a ton but only managed like 3% in his rookie outing. Could be good for a bunch more goals.
Barrie - everyone in Colorado was poo poo. I was hoping he'd be traded so he could really bounce back but he wasn't so who knows. Colorado is bad.
De Haan - Maybe they'll let him play this year? Who knows whats going on there.
Ekblad - has to get better after a very making GBS threads year shooting and playing overall. That said, Florida had one hell of an offseason.
Sharp - he was injured dogshit last year. Getting pretty old so it'll depend on how Chicago uses him but could bounce back or out of the league.
Mackinnon - I wanna believe but g'drat the Avs blow. His shooting was down a few points last season.
Bergeron - bit of a down year last season; his shooting was a few percentage points off down from his usual ~10. What's his deal, BAS?
Giroux - had a pretty bad outing last year. Might just be getting old but could bounce back. I dunno, I barely watch the Flyers.
Nyqvist - They'll probably can Hakstol and get a coach that will actually play him (lol, that didn't happen). His shooting% and goals were really down last year but lol Detroit.
Bailey - he had a good year with bad shooting numbers. Any Iles fans that can fill me in on what to expect?
Faulk - I expect Carolina to take a big step this year and every time I've watched them he's really stood out.
Guentzel - might fly under some radar, but probably not.
Fast - I think he's really ready to break out. Guess it'll depend how he's deployed but he's right in his prime and I like how he play hockey.
Zuccarello - had a p good year, especially with z-bad, but his shooting was bad. Could have a career year if he plays like he did last season but improves his shooting % a couple points.
Jenner - had a bit of a down year on a hot team after being very good on a not so hot team. Could go wither way.
TT - He could be good if traded but lol Detroit, he'll won't crack their amazing top 6
Rask - Has to be better. Boston's D was bad and injured last season, I believe he'll bounce back.
Schneider - he's still very good. NJ is still very bad. Bit of a mixed bag but he should be closer to his usual self this year. maybe.
Basically everyone on the Stars - they have goaltending, the offense should still be there, and half the team isn't dead to start the season. Oh, right, that defence. woof.
Johansson - new team, probably more minutes. Then again, Jersey isn't going to be very good.

Likely to regress:
Scheifele - everyone seems to be on the hype train. He's good, I just don't buy him as ppg good. I'd take him off the list if the Jets fired their idiot coach but they did not. Then again, Laine
Oshie - he gonne get worse in every remaining year of that contract.
Little - IIRC he got a lot of ice time with Laine. If he doesn't get lots of ice time with Laine he's going to cool off a lot.
Eaves - fresh off a big contract, was super hot last year, getting older. Due for a down year, IMO.
Nash - he alternates between good year and bad year and wasn't terrible last year. Also, he's broken and old and bad.
Barkov - actually, just everyone in Florida. What a loving stupid management/ownership group.
Atkinson - He'll be decent but loving no way he keeps that poo poo up, especially after his late hot streak. He isn't scoring 30+ again.
Kreider - I like him but he shot over 15% last season. No way he keeps that up.
Chara - no surprise here but he put up okay numbers last year despite being the slowest loving thing out there. I think he' reeeealy going to drop off this year.
Radulov - I dunno, I really liked him last year be he got hella paid and has a certain... enigmatic quality about him. Really hope I'm wrong. drat, I forgot Nill had a partial lobotomy before the start of the offseason.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Radulov is real good and I seriously doubt he'll drop from 53 pts if he plays the season with some combination of Benn / Seguin / Spezza. My major concern there is Hitchcock thinks offense is something other teams do.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Keeper's for Hull & Oates (HHL):

Nikita Kucherov - $71 -> $85
Devan Dubnyk - $45 -> $54
Derek Stepan - $17 -> $20
Sebastian Aho - $3 -> $4

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Schultz could potentially regress with Letang taking some of his PP time away. Then again, the Pens are just stacked in general and it's easy to see him replicating that performance spending all year passing to Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Guentzel, etc.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm going through a fairly simple email draft now with some guys who I do other pools with.

7 guys, 20$ buy in. 12 F, 6D, 1 team. Pure points + team wins are worth 2 points. At the end of the season you drop your worst F and worst D.

These leagues are fun because there's nothing to them but predicting who will do better. After doing a lot of roto stuff with farm teams and constant adds / drops, this kind of pool can be a lot of fun.

So.

We have about 2 weeks before the season. T-Bone brought up doing a cash pool - if there's still interest in, maybe we just do something like this and run it over email?

Works for me.

Still one spot left in the LSL. Need to hit an even 18 or we can't draft if anyone knows somebody looking for a league.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i cant make either the LSL or LOLHL drafts and with my work schedule im not gonna be able to keep up on this so I am going to step aside and let some other hungry young guns get after it. Bjugty_____ signing off, rip fantasy for me

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 27, 2017

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Someone send me a link. I should be able to manage another league now that in off the tools.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I have never played fantasy hockey but I have a lot of unfounded confidence.

Is there still room in LOLHL?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Thank you to everyone who helped me this year. Now, I just have one more question. In a league where goals are worth 2 points, 2 extra for a SHG, 1 for a PPG, and 3 for a hat trick (plus 1 for a shootout winner and 1 for a game winner), who would you pick?

Hall or Galchenyuk? Or Couture?
Huberdeau, Nylander, or Saad?

I am leaning towards Hall and Huberdeau. I fully recognize that I am blinded by my love of Hall, but I am worried that Galchenyuk is more of a 20-goal scorer. I am also concerned that Couture may not be the 30+ goal scorer that I imagine him to be.

As for the second bracket, this one is super difficult because I forsee a huge year from Huberdeau. If healthy, I don't think a 25-goal, 70-point season is out of the question. I am also a big fan of Nylander, but am unsure of how much I am blinded by my love of the Leafs. Finally, I am not a huge fan of Saad here, because I don't think he's going to see that much of an increase playing with Chicago, but he's worth thinking about.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I like Hall the most of those three as well but I'm not sure I can articulate why. For me it would be between him and Couture (who hasn't scored 30 since 2012 by the way). Hall hasn't scored 30 either but he's The Guy in New Jersey in a way that I'm not sure Couture is and I think Hall will start scoring more now that the Devils are starting to improve a bit. Hischier is young but he's looked legit in preseason and even just having another talented forward like MoJo is going to benefit Hall.

I'd probably take Nylander out of the second group. I think Huberdeau could have a big year based on his performance when he came back from injury, but the Panthers are a weird team and lost a lot of key contributors, not sure how that will affect his game. To me Saad is the safest pick, he's been a consistent 20 goal guy every year, but I'm not sure there's the same potential for more as there is with Nylander and Huberdeau.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Yeah, that's the reason why I think Hall will be the person I'll take. I think New Jersey's offense looks slightly better than last year, and Hall has the skills to bump up his totals. Then again, it's been 3 seasons since he was a near-30 goal/PPG player.

Saad is the safest choice, but I don't think he'll hit 30 again, and he seems to score in the low-50s pretty consistently. I think you have convinced me about taking Nylander. I like him a lot (no duh!), and it'll fulfill my desire to take a Leafs player.

Thanks for the help!

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Actually, I don't think i can make the LSL draft and might have to back out. I'm not sure I could deal with an autodrafted team with -6 goalies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Still need keepers from anyone who hasn't posted them in HHL by Monday.

LSL is at 16 right now. I can take two or four more: https://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/hockey/38184/invitation?key=2e24f4a41c7c263c&ikey=6763828cca1c078f

• Locked thread