Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

AD is the only directory service worth anything at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

no directory service, no masters

IT guy please take my computer _off_ of the domain!

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
what exactly constitutes a directory service? AD has a billion features i have no idea whats core and whats extra

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Captain Foo posted:

AD is the only directory service worth anything at all

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
lol at all these windows cjs who think ad is useful

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the main problem with ad is that it will support only a very, very small query load

if you try to use it to e.g. back a web site's auth, it will fall over.

if you call microsoft about this they will tell you not to try to use active directory as a directory service

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

wpf is non-portable

spark has no equivalent in .net, unless you think someone is out there using excel with "windows for grid computing" or whatever they are caling it this week

asp.net is pretty good if we are talking about razor. but it effectively limits your deployment to windows, which means you can only work in windows shops, which is a self-defeating measure at best

spring alone is bigger than the entire .net std lib

i assure you it is not deprecated

active directory is far and away the worst directory service on the market. the only reason it is deployed anywhere is as a mirror of a real directory service for use by windows clients

not that anyone is using apacheds for their main directory service. just it's handy in java for standing up toy directory services in test frameworks or small deployments. additionally it provides a set of wonderful cross-platform and cross-vendor client libraries so you can connect an eclipse-like development environment to any production environment from any vendor.

naturally AD, ADAM, and visual studio make any of these use cases a loving nightmare, because microsoft.

microsoft did all the leg work to make an h2-like product possible, but as usual, their infighting and greed got in the way. it's impossible to stand up sql server reliably for tests, and no sql server-like product is meaningfully compatible.

(sql server embedded isn't sql server, isn't derived from the same codebase, and isn't compatible on any level lol)
you're 100% wrong about all of this. like its not worth even debating cause its 100% incorrect. like the things you think are wrong and the things you think dont exist, actually all exist.

Shaggar fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 15, 2017

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the main problem with ad is that it will support only a very, very small query load

if you call microsoft about this they will tell you not to try to use active directory as a directory service

this is also 100% wrong. ad is the directory service the world uses including Microsoft in azure ad/office 365, which is the best hosted directory service.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if Microsoft says not to use your AD for application authentication, they're talking about using your corporate AD for customer web site auth. its a security thing

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
lol yes "it falls over under load" is a security thing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
and if you're using spring in 2017 I don't even know what to say. Like ok great if you're being forced to use it by some other lib, but if you're going out of your way to use it you hosed up.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol yes "it falls over under load" is a security thing

what are you talking about? it doesn't fall over under load despite what your Linux user groups might claim. the security problem is giving public users accounts in your internal ad. its a bad idea

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i don't mind java the language, and the ecosystem is better than .net (sorry shags) but asp.net is the best web framework of all time.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
speaking as someone who actually uses javafx: its poo poo and I wish we’d just gone with swing instead

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the ecosystem in .net has everything you need (except maven), but it doesn't have 10 different logging libraries or 30 different jsp frameworks because they learned from those mistakes when they happened in java.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Soricidus posted:

speaking as someone who actually uses javafx: its poo poo and I wish we’d just gone with swing instead

is there even a use case for javafx? nobody does UIs in java anymore.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

openj9 is still openjdk

gonna need a source on this one

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Shaggar posted:

the ecosystem in .net has everything you need (except maven), but it doesn't have 10 different logging libraries or 30 different jsp frameworks because they learned from those mistakes when they happened in java.

.net has a real problem with microsoft's libraries stifling other open source offerings because the community treats them as the unquestioned correct choice.

which would probably be fine if microsoft didn't also rewrite everything from scratch every other year.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

That's not what it's for holy lol

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

openj9 is still openjdk

it's based on openjdk. it's got different command line options, a different jitc, aotc, different gcs, and other things. it uses a lot of the openjdk implementation though.

if openj9 was openjdk it wouldn't have different behavior, visualvm would work with it, etc.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
you can build openjdk with either hotspot (the default) or openj9 (the ibm stuff). like ibm's proprietary java did with sun java, openj9 relies on openjdk for all the tools and the class libraries and poo poo

so, confusingly, openj9 is still openjdk, in that it needs openjdk to host itself and it still has 100% of the openjdk library suite

there has to be a better way to differentiate openjdk+hotspot from openjdk+j9

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

what are you talking about? it doesn't fall over under load despite what your Linux user groups might claim. the security problem is giving public users accounts in your internal ad. its a bad idea

it doesn't suddenly perform better because you use ADAM instead of a "real" AD DC.

windows clients work around AD's dismal performance with very aggressive client-side caching. this is not super practical for most use cases that aren't "i want this PC to work with microsoft file and print sharing"

enterprise users work around AD's dismal performance by using a real directory service and mirror data into AD

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 16, 2017

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

you're 100% wrong about all of this. like its not worth even debating cause its 100% incorrect. like the things you think are wrong and the things you think dont exist, actually all exist.

wow shags, this is weak even for you.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you can build openjdk with either hotspot (the default) or openj9 (the ibm stuff). like ibm's proprietary java did with sun java, openj9 relies on openjdk for all the tools and the class libraries and poo poo

so, confusingly, openj9 is still openjdk, in that it needs openjdk to host itself and it still has 100% of the openjdk library suite

there has to be a better way to differentiate openjdk+hotspot from openjdk+j9

just call it openjdk and openj9

no need to have a gnu+lunix situation going on here

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

akadajet posted:

it's true.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it doesn't suddenly perform better because you use ADAM instead of a "real" AD DC.

windows clients work around AD's dismal performance with very aggressive client-side caching. this is not super practical for most use cases that aren't "i want this PC to work with microsoft file and print sharing"

enterprise users work around AD's dismal performance by using a real directory service and mirror data into AD

no, everyone just uses ad. idk where you're coming up with this stuff.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

well like you can just go down his list and every item is wrong.

wpf/uwp are better ui frameworks than everything else and you can use them in cross platform development in windows, ios, and android

the stuff spark does is a subset of asp.net

wrt spring if you're just talking DI, then asp.net has its own di container and there are also 3rd party containers. if you're talking about the spring web stuff, asp.net does it all better. I would never in a million years use spring in a new java app that wasn't a byproduct of using some 3rd party lib.

as everyone knows, AD is the best directory service and nobody anywhere uses apacheds. AD is incredibly easy to work with in .net and if you do it with ldap stuff in java its gonna work the same as any other ldap server.

wrt h2 if you're doing embedded stuff then sql embedded works the same way. if you're doing tests for a non-embedded db, you'd never use h2 and you can use sql express w/ tests inc creating instances, setting up dbs, and then tearing it all down when done. You'll probably have to use MSBuild which sucks, but the other stuff works. also sql embedded is compatible with sql server on a limited basis because its designed to be used as an embedded db, and doesn't contain a full server runtime. if you need a real server you'd use a real server and sql express is full sql server w/ limited db + instance sizes. you can turn it into any other version of sql server w/ a license change.

he doesn't know what hes talking about cause hes never done .net development.

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary
jvm HOT
java NOT

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
what’s wrong with spring & what is the recommended alternative on the jvm?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Ploft-shell crab posted:

what’s wrong with spring
How much time do you have?

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary

Ploft-shell crab posted:

what’s wrong with spring & what is the recommended alternative on the jvm?

use something else for DI (or just wire things urself oldfashioned) and assemble your collection of preferred libraries, something like dropwizard.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I'm an extremely junior dev who had to learn java after getting my job. Spring and the concept of di in general took me a while to get but it seems kinda cool and we use it in every project we have

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary
my problem with java is mostly with enterprise try-hards. i have never seen a more pathological fear of coupling and desire to overengineer even the simplest things than with bad java devs.

like, i get it, tightly coupled brittle code sucks when you have to come back later and do big change, but you just spend an entire sprint writing wrappers and facades for a library that both you and i know we are NEVER going to change.

lol, just this friday i rewrote some tooling that was written in java that my co-worker spent like a month developing a year ago (and has never loving worked like it's supposed to) in go and it took like two hours.

yeah, if someone wants to use it in a different context they might have to change like 4 lines or take the opportunity to make it more general. but only a loving java developer would take a problem that can be trivially solved procedurally in like 150 lines of code and write 35 classes so that everything possible ever is paramterized, that tries to be everything to everyone, and does'nt even loving work

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

0x1991BABE posted:

my problem with java is mostly with enterprise try-hards. i have never seen a more pathological fear of coupling and desire to overengineer even the simplest things than with bad java devs.

I think this comes from people reading and then completely missing the point of Clean Code.

https://imgur.com/a/VgRue

quote:

lol, just this friday i rewrote some tooling that was written in java that my co-worker spent like a month developing a year ago (and has never loving worked like it's supposed to) in go and it took like two hours.

two hours to replicate a month of work in a different language and it all just magically works, and you did this this recent friday you say?? I'm skeptical but if you say so.

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary

Ericadia posted:

two hours to replicate a month of work in a different language and it all just magically works, and you did this this recent friday you say?? I'm skeptical but if you say so.

yeah i mean that's hyperbole. i didn't port the entire thing and i'm not super familiar with the go ecosystem so i had to do some research. my point wasn't to flex, the problem actually just wasn't that hard in the first place.

i mostly just find myself continually amazed that otherwise good, smart developers who can write performant application level code are handed a task for something that slightly elevated from a shell script and not stop to think that maybe applying enterprise design patterns isn't the right approach.

i guess the lesson is pretty simple, genericizing and parameterizing everything explodes complexity. only do it if there's a good reason.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

the release schedule for jdk 18.3 has been posted:

quote:

2017/12/14 Rampdown Phase One
2018/01/11 All Tests Run
2018/01/18 Rampdown Phase Two
2018/02/22 Final Release Candidate
2018/03/20 General Availability

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

i'm having nice builds with openjo

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Condiv posted:

the release schedule for jdk 18.3 has been posted:

I was wondering why the gently caress they decided to follow 1.9 with 18.3 but now I see

0x1991BABE posted:

i mostly just find myself continually amazed that otherwise good, smart developers who can write performant application level code are handed a task for something that slightly elevated from a shell script and not stop to think that maybe applying enterprise design patterns isn't the right approach.

I think this is at least partially because the idea that java is for enterprise apps is heavily emphasised so people just go right ahead an build every little program like its going to become part of a million line code base

but yeah its often the case that people dont actually understand the single responsibility principle so they decompose their code into tiny meaningless classes and then build in a pile of abstraction between them all

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

the stuff spark does is a subset of asp.net

i don't think you know what spark is, dawg

https://spark.apache.org/

Shaggar posted:

wrt spring if you're just talking DI, then asp.net has its own di container and there are also 3rd party containers. if you're talking about the spring web stuff, asp.net does it all better. I would never in a million years use spring in a new java app that wasn't a byproduct of using some 3rd party lib.

spring is a huge ecosystem of good and cool stuff, not just a freaking di framework

spring boot (centralized configuration for all application instances)
spring security (sane AAA for most use cases in an easy to consume format)
etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Captain Foo posted:

That's not what it's for holy lol

active directory, the directory service for when you do not actually intend to make any lookups against the directory

• Locked thread