Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol whoops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

Fungah! posted:

lol whoops

q_qing so hard cant see the different threads through the tears

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Nutmeg posted:

q_qing so hard cant see the different threads through the tears

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I thought the lil song was a good effort

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I’m enjoying my first dark souls experience a lot, so eating a six for cringe seems fair enough.

Looking forward to upgrading my claymore on the way to the fortress. I understand there’s a lot of PHYS resistant enemies?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

MrQueasy posted:

I’m enjoying my first dark souls experience a lot, so eating a six for cringe seems fair enough.

Looking forward to upgrading my claymore on the way to the fortress. I understand there’s a lot of PHYS resistant enemies?

not really imo. Demons souls cares a lot about damage type but the souls games really don't in my experience unless you're a total minmax freak. Stuff like fire/lightning/magic do make a difference but stuff being resistant to strike/blunt/slash etc. isn't really a think. And there's no enemy outside of maybe slow moving blobbos that are super resistant to just regular melee damage

And if you're really stuck a resin should do fine or having a backup weapon with like fire or lightning on it (probably lightning as it's very strong in 1)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

DS2 cares a lot about resistances iirc, mostly in that slashing is bad because 90% of the enemies are armoured guys, but 1 and 3 don't

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

DS2 cares a lot about resistances iirc, mostly in that slashing is bad because 90% of the enemies are armoured guys, but 1 and 3 don't

uh-huh. fascinating…

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Sub-Actuality posted:

uh-huh. fascinating…

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sub-Actuality posted:

uh-huh. fascinating…

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sub-Actuality posted:

uh-huh. fascinating…

Gah!

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Well regardless, it looks like going from a claymore +4 to a +5 will net me +20 damage… so that seems a more efficient use of souls even if I have to farm for a half hour or so.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Sub-Actuality posted:

uh-huh. fascinating…

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Sub-Actuality posted:

uh-huh. fascinating…

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

MrQueasy posted:

Well regardless, it looks like going from a claymore +4 to a +5 will net me +20 damage… so that seems a more efficient use of souls even if I have to farm for a half hour or so.

weapon damage is far more important than stats for damage for quite a long time really. It's what allows SL1 to be viable for most players because your damage is pretty good throughout

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sub-Actuality posted:

uh-huh. fascinating…

lmao. saw this like five minutes before i saw why and started to get very nervous that elden ring would have some kind of horrible egg thing.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

uh-huh. fascinating…

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

This is why he's lunchmeat Larry not egg and cress Edward

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

uh-huh. fascinating…

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sub-Actuality posted:

uh-huh. fascinating…

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

lmao. saw this like five minutes before i saw why and started to get very nervous that elden ring would have some kind of horrible egg thing.

lol

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
woohoo! Sen's Fortress complete!

Highlights:
- Accidentally knocked the Iron Golem off the side when he was at 25% or so on my second try.
- Killed the mimic first try.

Lowlights: (malding)
- Mimic died and fell into the elevator shaft. No drops.
- That first snakehead mage was the most consistently frustrating enemy (2nd place is the bullshit ball hitbox as it turns a corner)

Didn't do:
- titanite demons
- saved the big hat (I have low int)

Looking forward to being able to see my enemies in well-lit Anor Londo after three straight dark levels.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

MrQueasy posted:

woohoo! Sen's Fortress complete!

Highlights:
- Accidentally knocked the Iron Golem off the side when he was at 25% or so on my second try.
- Killed the mimic first try.

Lowlights: (malding)
- Mimic died and fell into the elevator shaft. No drops.
- That first snakehead mage was the most consistently frustrating enemy (2nd place is the bullshit ball hitbox as it turns a corner)

Didn't do:
- titanite demons
- saved the big hat (I have low int)

Looking forward to being able to see my enemies in well-lit Anor Londo after three straight dark levels.

If an enemy falls off a cliff and drops something you can quit and reload the area and sometimes it will spawn the item next to where they fell off.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

MrQueasy posted:

i feel both of these very hard

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riv8mOgdED8

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ds3/elden ring making guaranteed one time drops like that just appear in your inventory is the greatest.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

ds3/elden ring making guaranteed one time drops like that just appear in your inventory is the greatest.

It's weird that they went through all that work to put in a fail safe box. Seems like they could have just had an auto add feature.

Though I guess it's because of the inventory max issue. But making keys/key items not count towards inventory seems the way round that.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I feel like they just kind of stuck the box there after they cut andre's quest to fill space.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I've never played a Souls game before but started Dark Souls last night. Fun to come to it totally blind and just let the game immerse me. Died a bunch in the tutorial area while I was trying to get a hang of things and then made it out. Pumped to play again but in-laws are coming to visit today for a couple weeks which isn't conducive to gaming

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 21, 2022

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

I've never played a Souls game before but started Dark Souls last night. Fun to come to it totally blind and just let the game immerse me. Died a bunch in the tutorial area while I was trying to get a hang of things and then made it out. Pumped to play again but in-laws are coming to visit today for a couple weeks which isn't conducive to gaming

Enjoy, I just did this and it was absolutely the way to experience it

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

small hint that can save new people a lot of pain after the tutorial area: if you're getting wrecked by skeletons, you're going the wrong way.

shut up

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

bees x1000 posted:

small hint that can save new people a lot of pain after the tutorial area: if you're getting wrecked by skeletons, you're going the wrong way.

if i codul punch you right now i would

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

lmao definitely not clicking the spoiler. hinters begone

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bees x1000 posted:

IKs?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

ok, sorry, I thought it was fairly benign.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
never attempt to save a new dark souls player even an ounce of pain

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

bees x1000 posted:

ok, sorry, I thought it was fairly benign.

yuour new here and i think youre ok overall so i'll say this; if someone says they want to dive in nd immerse themselves in a game, dont immediately say "oh btw here's four things you should do and the correct way to play." thats games brain and it's fatal

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Falling for that trick is like a rite of passage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

you get to enjoy their fails and successes and encourage them when they get to the hard parts. then ask them to post their build and humiliate them even thought they tried their hardest and it honestly even wasn't that bad it was interesting at least