Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
http://www.openworm.org/

OpenWorm is an open source project dedicated to creating the first virtual organism in a computer.

We've started from a cellular approach so we are building behavior of individual cells and we are trying to get the cells to perform those behaviors. We are starting with simple crawling. The main point is that we want the worm's overall behavior to emerge from the behavior of each of its cells put together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

JewKiller 3000 posted:

cool tricks aside i just don't see how we're going to program a general ai that learns, and learns how to learn, given our rudimentary understanding of how we do those things at the level of the brain. intelligence isn't just going to emerge because we stuff in more transistors, and it feels to me like we're pretty far away from the level of knowledge to bootstrap the system. what even is intelligence, surely it's more than just being a really good classifier? i'm not an ai researcher but we've seen this hype before and i'm not convinced it's any different this time

yeah, we still need some more fundamental insights into the nature of knowing before "true" progress can be made, but the systems we create don't have to resemble our own to be effective at the tasks they're set to perform. idk, still a bunch of valuable research being done aside from hype and bullshit marketing

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

what materials would the computer use?

cloning doesn't count

Transistors. Like every computer.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Amethyst posted:

Transistors. Like every computer.

ya, a nerve is made of neurons, a neuron fires or it doesn't fire, kinda sounds like a transistor to me

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
start here

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Why is the computation performed in a physical neural network ontologically privileged over computation performed on transistors?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

Why is the computation performed in a physical neural network ontologically privileged over computation performed on transistors?

because it's an entirely different structure

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

SmokaDustbowl posted:

so what? the chip in my stebebook pro has a vastly different structure than the one in a snes, yet the former can faithfully emulate the latter

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Not at all. they are clearly isomorphic

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it would take an impossible amount of computing power, AI is straight up like time travel

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

it would take an impossible amount of computing power, AI is straight up like time travel

where and why are you drawing a boundary around computation power?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

SmokaDustbowl posted:

there are nearly 7 billion computers already on planet earth that can do it, they're just made of meat instead of silicon, and they're made by nature instead of intel

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

where and why are you drawing a boundary around computation power?

you're being incredibly naive

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
you're saying it's impossible but you can't explain why, you just pick a detail and say that's impossible

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

you're being incredibly naive

Okay.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

JewKiller 3000 posted:

you're saying it's impossible but you can't explain why, you just pick a detail and say that's impossible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACmydtFDTGs

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
a youtube video clip of an hbo comedy show is not an explanation or even an argument. if you believe what you say so strongly, you should be able to articulate why

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

stop arguing with smoka

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

stop arguing with smoka

yeah cause I'm right

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
am i loving up here? is arguing with smoka like quoting stymie? i knew he posted endlessly but didn't realize the posts were so content-free

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

smoka does have arguments behind his point so I'll let another sci fi author make them for him:

" when you modeled a hurricane, nobody got wet. When you modeled a fusion power plant, no energy was produced. When you modeled digestion and metabolism, no nutrients were consumed – no real digestion took place. So, when you modeled the human brain, why should you expect real thought to occur?"

it all comes down to the notion that there is an ontological heirarchy and we are inescapably trapped on one "level" of it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

SmokaDustbowl posted:

yeah cause I'm right

you're not even presenting an argument and you're clearly wrong on even a trivial level

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

JewKiller 3000 posted:

am i loving up here? is arguing with smoka like quoting stymie? i knew he posted endlessly but didn't realize the posts were so content-free

no he's just being boring and bad in this thread

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Amethyst posted:

smoka does have arguments behind his point so I'll let another sci fi author make them for him:

" when you modeled a hurricane, nobody got wet. When you modeled a fusion power plant, no energy was produced. When you modeled digestion and metabolism, no nutrients were consumed – no real digestion took place. So, when you modeled the human brain, why should you expect real thought to occur?"

it all comes down to the notion that there is an ontological heirarchy and we are inescapably trapped on one "level" of it.

i don't know that i'd do him the favor of assuming he's thinking in metaphysical terms

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

two reasons i don't put much stock in the ontological heirarchy argument:

1) it's clear that non-sentient intelligence IS possible and I think the significance between non-sentient and sentient is far less significant than we intuitively believe

2) I've never heard a convincing argument, let alone any kind of experimental evidence that the hierarchy exists anyway.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
despite the air of formality, i've always thought of ontology as how we organize the universe, not necessarily how the universe itself is organized

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i don't know that i'd do him the favor of assuming he's thinking in metaphysical terms

why are you giving ontological priority to the physically existing non-arguing smokadustbowl when i've presented a perfectly good platonic ideal smokadustbowl who is making perfectly valid arguments, huh?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
it's dark in this cave and i can't see

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

nvidia is releasing specialized hardware just for running deep belief networks. consumer models coming soon.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/data-center/dgx-server/

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

a perfectly good platonic ideal smokadustbowl who is making perfectly valid arguments

as the smokadustbowl currently reading that I have to say this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ld-JEDEx1Q

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I myself own one of the most advanced neutral networks in the entire universe and it's installed in my very own skull.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I hope that ten thousand years from now when they recreate my consciousness from my digital presence, the alien scientists have to watch that fart video

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
believe in the smokadustbowl that believes in you

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
you really are a poo poo poster

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

JewKiller 3000 posted:

you really are a poo poo poster

16 years baby

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

SmokaDustbowl posted:

16 years baby

my friend, begone of this thread. or perish

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
smoka is by no means the only one to make the ontological-privilege argument against AI

roger penrose thinks there's some quantum element to both intelligence and consciousness that means you're not going to get either of those from a Turing machine

personally I don't buy it: even if there are quantum elements involved, simulation of a biological system would just get more difficult, not be impossible, though depending on just how difficult that could be a distinction without a difference

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
what disappoints me is that there isn't anywhere near the same focus on symbolic reasoning that there used to be

symbolic reasoning systems like Cyc are actually rather good now and do actually do the "learn how to learn new things" bit

however they don't result in billions of dollars of sales of specialized vector hardware, and can be hard to parallelize and use at a large scale too, so they haven't had the same level of investment that neural nets have been getting in this latest resurgence in interest in AI

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Doug Hofstadter makes some pretty compelling arguments for the possibility of AI and the underlying recursive systems but he doesn't call it AI he calls it cognitive research. If the first functioning AI isn't named Doug he will have been done a great disservice. Also he's yopos AF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i honestly dont get your argument smoka

here's a big difference between ai and time travel or ftl. we don't have any examples of machines that can travel in time or faster than light.
we do have examples of machines that think: people.
it's clearly possible to have a thing that thinks. there is no reason to think that this should only be achievable by evolution or god or whatever.

• Locked thread