Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
true AI is impossible like time travel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

if we build a machine that can classify any input stimulus one million times faster than we can, and react to it based on an evolving expert system several times larger and with much better efficacy than a human brain, can we really say it's not "true" intelligence just because it's not aware

yes, because it can't correct an error

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

of course it can. consciousness has very little to do with correcting for errors and it has far less to do with basic decision making than you believe.

"Make a conscious choice. Decide to move your index finger. Too late! The electricity's already halfway down your arm. Your body began to act a full half-second before your conscious self 'chose' to, for the self chose nothing; something else set your body in motion, sent an executive summary—almost an afterthought— to the homunculus behind your eyes. That little man, that arrogant subroutine that thinks of itself as the person, mistakes correlation for causality: it reads the summary and it sees the hand move, and it thinks that one drove the other."

consciousness isn't exclusively pattern matching

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

JewKiller 3000 posted:

cool tricks aside i just don't see how we're going to program a general ai that learns, and learns how to learn, given our rudimentary understanding of how we do those things at the level of the brain. intelligence isn't just going to emerge because we stuff in more transistors, and it feels to me like we're pretty far away from the level of knowledge to bootstrap the system. what even is intelligence, surely it's more than just being a really good classifier? i'm not an ai researcher but we've seen this hype before and i'm not convinced it's any different this time

true AI is impossible

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it's impossible like time travel and free energy

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it would be easier to go faster than light than to make an AI

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

conscious thoguht is an inefficient kludge to get us over an awkward period of physical environment discovery.

lol stop taking peter watts so seriously

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
your consciousness isn't just your brain, every minuscule part of you is a sensory organ, that's impossible to artificially recreate

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

here are physical laws that prevent FTL travel. You seem to think there is a similar law regarding sentience. I dont see it

what technology could exist that could artificially replicate every nerve ending in a human body?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

a computer

what materials would the computer use?

cloning doesn't count

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
start here

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

Why is the computation performed in a physical neural network ontologically privileged over computation performed on transistors?

because it's an entirely different structure

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it would take an impossible amount of computing power, AI is straight up like time travel

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

where and why are you drawing a boundary around computation power?

you're being incredibly naive

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

JewKiller 3000 posted:

you're saying it's impossible but you can't explain why, you just pick a detail and say that's impossible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACmydtFDTGs

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

stop arguing with smoka

yeah cause I'm right

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

a perfectly good platonic ideal smokadustbowl who is making perfectly valid arguments

as the smokadustbowl currently reading that I have to say this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ld-JEDEx1Q

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I hope that ten thousand years from now when they recreate my consciousness from my digital presence, the alien scientists have to watch that fart video

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
believe in the smokadustbowl that believes in you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

JewKiller 3000 posted: