Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i wonder basically how many rules are laid down when our brains are first made, vs how much is making sense of the inputs and creating intelligence on the spot over years
of learning how to think

i'm saying, if we make a large enough "network" and feed it input for long enough, and with some ability to interact with the world, would it slowly learn how to do something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also studies on consciousness show for example that things happen before you're aware of them, implying that consciousness perhaps is a projection of what's already happening in your brain, meaning consciousness can't affect, it's only a display, and therefore perhaps unnecessary

or not

i was big time into consciousness for a while and read all the text books i could find etc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

duTrieux. posted:

i don't believe that this implies that consciousness is unnecessary; i think the ability to construct a rationalization itself is an expression of consciousness. my operating assumption is that our conscious experience is a collection of both post-hoc rationalization and higher-level executive planning/desicions/thoughts.

this implies that zoning out while doing something boring and repetitive is what it feels like to be conscious, but not really, like, conscious, you know

well the experts would somewhat agree with your lash statement, but imply that "autopilot" isn't consciousness.. and things like buddhism or meditation really make the most of what consciousness can be:

mindfulness is a buzz word of late but it basically describes being conscious and aware.: clearly our brains can perform complex tasks on autopilot . gently caress i check scripts on autopilot all the time - i've trained my brain with rules so if something looks out of place then consciousness kicks in and i can analyse and rationalise

you do raise interesting points. they call consciousness "the hard question", because consciousness is absolutely like nothing else on the universe at all. all the current evidence seems to often discredit ways of understanding consciousness and asks a lot of questions but doesn't give a lot of answers (just a lot of pointing out how wrong theories are)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JewKiller 3000 posted:

you don't know that, you don't have a single piece of objective evidence to support that claim, and neither does anyone else who makes it

that's just like you're opinion man

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
we install kill switches and also make sure they cant gently caress and reproduce

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MSPain posted:

Fartificial intelligence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the world sucks

• Locked thread